Other Camcorders:
DCR-DVD408

Pros

Cons

Phenomenal

This video camera is phenomenal. I bought it for the birth of my son but unfortunately he came early, one day before the camera arrived. I should have bought it sooner. So for the delivery day excitment I used by older Panasonic miniDV tape camera and after that used the Sony 408DVD camera. What a difference. I don't know why people think the miniDVs give a better quality image. In fact I know a profession who uses it and I do believe there is some credibility to that statement, but he also has very expensive professional video equipment. But for the average home user its a hassel dealing with tapes that play only in your camera or you have to capture it via your computer and burn dvds which takes hours to do and tons of hard disk space if you don't want to loose quality. This Sony is one of the higher end DVD cameras from Sony. I believe its exceptional video quality come from the fact that the lens is T-star (sharper) and twice the size of other cameras (1/3in vs 1/6in). I am extrememly happy with it. In addition I don't always have to carry 2 cameras. This camera takes 2MP video (very nice even on HD televisions) and 4MP still images with built in flash in still camera mode. This is enough to print clear 4x6 or even larger. So overall I'm very happy with this camera. You can either use rewritable miniDVDs and then transfer to regular DVDs via computer or do what I do. I buy inexpensive miniDVD -r or +r disc and keep then as "orginals". Later if I want to combine or make a special DVD I can do that. I almost bought a Hard Drive camera but it was this fact that steered me away. For the same price as a low end HD camera I got a high end DVD camera. Also I can finalize and play in anyones DVD player without the need for cables or computers etc. I also feel that every time you trasfer video data (digital or analog) there is a chance that the quality may drop based on the software your using the computer processor and the quality of the dvd writer and media used finally. Thus I decided to record on one time use DVDs as masters and make copies as needed. In point here is that what you do is up to you. Your not forced to to use a computer or forced to copy and free up your DVD-RW if you don't want to. Flexibilty means everything in electronics. I highly recommend this camera and if you can afford it try the 508 but if not the 408 is fantastic. Hope that helps you make you decision.

Sony Handycam 408 Great for instant record library but a slow 1.

To me this a 7 on a 1 to 10 scale. Its great for an advance user, but the small and tricky menu is kinda large for the novice user. With settings a go for a simple john, you then have a 5 to 8 min wait from loading the dvd to actually recording on it. Although there is ways around this, through the menu options of course, you have to know your dvd r- dvd r/w language and pixle vrs frame rate per sec ying yang to get it going fast. Overall for an advance user this quite possibly a 10 but for a first timmer its around a 4. Quality pictures and excellent voice, timming, frame rate and transfer from cam to dvd player is just awesome..

Excellent for beginners and vacationers.

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

If you love transportable and light in weight, this is it. Additionally, it is one of the easiest camcorders you will find out there, making it excellent for the beginner. We love shooting footage on vacation and although the digital camera is good, this is excellent. Crisp, clean, excellent video and sound, and ideal for those who don't really know what they are doing.

Image quality is excellent, and sound/audio doesn't falter either. It is perfect for quick or slow paced shooting, and works well in any lighting conditions.

Battery Life
It will go for 8 to 10 hours on a single charge; if you need short footage, about 30 minutes charge will get you 10 to 20 minutes of recording use.

It is light, it is easy to transport, and a rugged body makes it ideal for shooting under any conditions.

You really can't mess up with this camera. I am by no means great at video or photo shooting, but with this device, even I can shoot high quality videos.

A bit large, and extremely pricey, but the lightweight design makes it easy to transport. The simple flip screen also allows you to see what you are recording, as you are recording, allowing you to modify or change settings, lighting, and focus as needed.

zoom in

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

I love Sony Brand products so I was not at all surprised that this particular Handycam Camcorder turned out to be just the thing I needed to get me amped up again. First of all - it's small - the perfect size in fact for recording comical moments on family vacations and Holidays and, it's very easy to take along when traveling. Although the box it came in was pretty small from what I am used to - it packed a lot into it. It's complete with a handstrap, rechargable battery pack, adapter, power cord, av output, software and more. The instruction manual is a must so if you purchase used, make sure it's included. The camcorder is not very tricky, my nine year old can operate it! The overall picture quality is excellent, the price though, is not. The camcorder has back lighting capability so even darker images or environments can be recorded with greater ease. Also, the digital zoom works really great, I've been able to capture an increased amount of quality still images - by utilizing the zoom function. What's best about this model is that it can play back discs in your dvd player or a play station 2 or 3 so it does offer some flexibility. So far it appears durable but I did invest in an extended warranty just in case.

Profile Image

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

I am very technology challenged and I was able to figure this camcorder out very easily and quickly. We bought it mainly to record our kids as the grow and I also use it for my son's soccer games. It is small and not heavy so holding up for a longer time is not difficult at all. Zooms in so you can record closes up and it is very clear when you zoom in. Picks up even quiet talking so be careful if you don't want certain things recorded. Can also take still pictures if you put in a memory card, still pictures don't come out that good though from my experience. Very easy to format dvd's and to finalize them so you can view them on any computer or using a dvd player.

Great camcorder, records smoothly and clearly.

Battery Life
Battery stays charged for quite a long time with no use, a few days with frequent use. It does charge quickly though.

Has held up well being tossed into my bag for soccer and with the kids playing with it.

I never even read the manual and figured it out with ease.

It fits in my hand nicely and is pretty light weight. I have no problems holding it up for a long time while recording stuff.

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

I got this camcorder when I had my son, so I could record special holidays and events that we do as a family, and to have videos of my son as he grows up. The recording quality on this camcorder is awesome, and the sound is great as well! It is very easy to use, as when I got it, I started using it right away without having to read any instructions. You can also take pictures with it, but you do have to have a memory stick for that. The pictures are amazing as well, if you choose to use that option. It is small enough that I can easily carry it in my diaper bag/purse or in one of the smaller pockets in our backpack. I am very happy with this product, and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Excellent performance and video quality, and it has great picture quality if you use it to take still pictures as well (you just have to buy the memory stick to take still photo shots).

Battery Life
it has a very good battery life. I can use mine for 3 or 4 days, before I have to charge it.

It is very easy to use, whether you are a beginner or expert with camcorders.

Pretty good.

from Kansas

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

I received the Sony Handycam as a gift when I was in High School. It was a high quality, easy to use, and long lasting camcorder. This has a LCD touch screen which make it really simple to use. Even my parents were able to use this camcorder without much trouble. It shoots great quality video, even in poor lighting. You can either use a DVD or a memory stick to store the videos. This makes it easy to share your videos with other people. My only problem with the device was the horrible battery life. If that could have been improved upon, it would be a PERFECT camcorder.

I highly recommend this camcorder. It is so simple to use and shoots great quality video.

Good quality videos in any type of lighting.

Battery Life
The battery life is pretty terrible on this camcorder.

I had this camcorder for 4 years before it broke in a moving accident. I never had any problems with it the entire time I had it.

This is great for non-techy people because of the simple controls and the touch screen.

• Battery Life:

Takes quality video but difficult to store the footage

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

When I was pregnant with my first son, I received the Sony Handycam Camcorder as a baby shower gift. I was thrilled to receive this as a gift as I had heard many good things about this camcorder. My husband used this camcorder to record my son's birth and we used it numerous times over the next couple of years to record the early years of our son's life. I loved going back and watching the footage. This camcorder is easy to hook up to your television. The only "issue" I have with this camcorder to trying to download the videos to my personal computer. I found that it was virtually impossible to try to transfer the videos from the small tapes to a computer. I tried many different software applications and methods of transferring these videos but was not successful. While this camcorder takes quality footage, you will likely be frustrated if you try to download your footage to a computer.

The camcorder itself is easy to use. Downloading the footage to a computer is a problem.

Very good camcorder

from Nesconset, NY

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

We recently broke our camcorder and unfortunately were not able to find the same one in time for my kids birthday and I wanted good footage of them, not from my cell phone. So I went out the evening before and went looking for a good new camcorder. I seen the sony handyman camcorder and was asking a lot of questions about it and decided to buy it. It was a little pricey compared to the others, but I trust a lot of their products so I figured it would be good. It's a little complicated to use and the battery life isn't super, but it's worth it. When I used it, not only did it work perfectly, but the audio on it was unbelievable. Even with all the background noise, I could hear my kids laughing and talking. It was so great. I played it back on my television, and the video came out crystal clear. I'm extremely happy I purchased this and for the results I get out of it and how durable it is, it's definitely worth the price. I would definitely recommend,

• Battery Life:

A quality piece of equipment, great addition to your media exp.

from Birmingham, Al

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

A quality piece of equipment that is a great addition to your media collecting experience. It has a variety of features that make your recordings seem very professional and also very easy to use. And the price is so reasonable you'll use it always.

It puts out high quality video with little to no blur for really clear images.

Battery Life
I think that anyone who has a camcorder will agree that there never seems to be enough battery life, but this model is pretty good and will shoot longer than the JVC we had before it.

We let our children use it it (at times) seems like it is indestructable. It has survived 3 children and still going.

Itt is easy to use once you get over the instruction booklet which can be a little intimidating, but once you get the hang of it you will be very pleased. It is just being familiar with use.

The simple controls and the features make it capable of high quality videos. The ability for vivid close ups and steady shots make it fantasticly easy to use in reducing blurry pictures with clear images. And it is able to record directly to a variety of media.

• Battery Life:

Videos still stuck on camera

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

The Sony Handycam Camcorder is my first video camera to own. I love everything about taking videos on it, but the software and transferring videos part still has me baffled.
It is extremely lightweight and easy to use. I love the option of flipping the viewer toward or away from myself. It's so simple and easy to turn off and on quickly. The standby setting is great as well.
The hand strap has been super useful in ensuring that we don't drop it, especially during some epic water balloon fights.
This camcorder captures sound really well, and the images are crystal clear.

It's been bumped around quite a bit and has withstood it all.

It is so easy to switch on and off. I didn't rate it higher because the video transferring process is a bit confusing to me.

Very comfortable to use. This camcorder basically fits within the palm of your hand. The strap goes over your knuckles for an extra measure of stability and security.

• Battery Life:

reliable and good picture quality

Comments about Sony Handycam Camcorder:

Sony has been in the handycam business for a long time, and this is a really good and dependable product. It is easy to use with the wide viewing screen, and the quality that you get of recordings is good. It's use is intuitive and it is easy to set up out of the box. The battery life is good also, about 2 to 2.5 hours per charge.