Other Grills:

Char-Griller Duo Propane and Charcoal Grill S-

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

Best of both worlds with a combo gas and charcoal grill.

If you can't decide whether to guy a gas grill or a charcoal grill, you can get both in one unit with the Char-Griller duo. One side is a gas unit and the other is a standard charcoal unit.

You can also buy this unit with a smoke box on the charcoal side or add one on - and sold by the Char-Griller company. Just punch out the side panel on the charcoal body (a bit hard to do but designed so that's and option). Then, you really have a triple unit with slow smoking added to the charcoal side.

You will need a good bit of room for this grill but really around what you'd need for a full sized gas grill. It can be wheeled around too, but it is a pretty big beast to be doing that. I'd say find it a good home on the porch or deck and buy a grill cover.

Char-Griller grills are not typically as large as the inches you will see online. The company adds the warming rack to the inches on the cooking area which is not typical in the industry. I called to see where they got such huge numbers as they did not add up when I measured. Bingo. They are adding the warming rack. Other companies do not.

Since this is a duo grill it runs a bit larger than most gas grills by a few extra inches end to end, and all that width does make it slightly more shaky than a decided gas grill. This is due mostly to the open design under the grill body sections. All in all, it does stand solid though, after the shake test, I found that the balance is good on the duo.

Each side would be smaller than a full unit but overall quite roomy. You could certainly grill a lot of food for the family or for a party. So, meats might be going over charcoal while sides like vegetables or trickier foods in terms of temp like fish could be running at the same time on the gas side.

As far as how it grills, both sides work well. The design is good with it being a basic barrel style or also called a Texas style of grill. There's good circulation both under and above the foods.

Since this is a powder coated grill, it is more durable than the raw stainless on the market. The finish is good. The only rust problems I've seen and not major were inside the add on smoke box only. That's on the top inside of the lid where high fire caused some downgrade on the powder finish. Some high heat stove paint can be used to paint that if needed, but I'd call it cosmetic only and not a real problem.

Customer service at Char-Griller is very good which is more than I can say about the owner and his telephone skills. But, oh well, you will probably never have to talk to him. Hope not anyway. Regardless of that, I recommend the Char-Griller grills and the duo in particular. The quality is solid, and they grill well.

In case you were wondering why I have so many details here and mentions of testing various things and measuring, it is because I am a grilling and barbecue blogger and web site owner. So, I test and use loads of grills. I am not associated with any company though, so you get my thoughts and comparisons as someone outside the industry - just a home griller and smoker who happens to write.

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Great idea, poor execution. In less than 2 years the gas side of this grill almost completely disentigrated despite extra care taken to prevent it.

Gas side completely rusted...Read complete review

Gas side completely rusted out. Sanded and repainted several times in an effort to take good care of it to no avail. Smoker side worked well and upheld integrity. Company refused to offer any aid for their product.

Versatility
The whole reason I bought this grill to start with. Great idea and loved it until problems occurred.

Easy to use if you are at all familiar with the process.

Basic cleaning was normal but continuous sanding and painting was a bit tedious.

Gas side fell completely apart in less than 2 years. Thincluded not only the burners and body but the legs as well.

Again, a good idea gone bad. Very heavy. Wheels would not stay on when moving making it very difficult to move. Could have used a different material of construction and come out ahead.

The perfect grill!

from Fort Worth, Texas

About Me Grilling Enthusiast

Pros

• Adds Flavor To Meal
  • Cooks Efficiently
  • Large Grilling Surface

Cons

• For Self/Couple
    • Great Searing
    • Indirect Cooking
    • Large Gatherings
    • Small Gatherings

Comments about Char-Griller Duo Propane and Charcoal Grill S-:

My Mother and I wanted to get a grill for the patio in our backyard that would accommodate anyone who had the task of grilling during gatherings our family dinners, which we have a lot of. Usually my brother comes over and does the grilling but I myself had the honor of breaking my 5050 in. I absolutely love the double sides. I don't like cooking certain things together so this grill allows me to put my meat on one side and my grilled veggies on the other side without having to have the worry of the two being cooked on the same grill. My first grilling experience with my 5050 was during a small family gathering. Our patio isn't very big so I was at first glance concerned about the grills size and taking up to much space. But to my surprise it worked out perfect. It doesn't let off lots if smoke so it was not a bother to anyone who may have been close to it. The best part is me being the one grilling I expected to smell like smoke. I had no smoke smell in my clothing or my hair. The 5050 is a quick and thorough grill. It consistently gives me great results no matter what I decide to grill. This grill allows me to be able to further my grilling skills with plenty of space and the option too use gas or coals. I usually use coals because I enjoy the flavor they let off but this grill opened me up to using another fuel source to grill. So I enjoy grilling with both sources. My food still comes out deliciously prepared and food my family and friends continue to enjoy. This is my most recent grill so I can imagine I will be using it for a while. Its durable and will last along time. The only complaint or dislike rather that I have for this grill is the cleaning. Like most grill cleaning its a bit messy and time consuming. Overall I love this grill, it's been an asset to my cooking. I would recommend this grill to anyone who wants options when grilling, has a passion for grilling, and needs a nice size grilling space.

Char Griller Duo Grill

Comments about Char-Griller Duo Propane and Charcoal Grill S-:

This is an awesome grill. My sister and I bought this grill for our parents for their anniversary last year. They are so happy with it, and we all love grilling on it. We have Sunday dinner at their house every weekend, and we grill out using this grill every Sunday. It gives the food great flavor, and is very easy to use whether you are a beginner or expert cook and grill master. The materials that the grill is made out of is great, very strong and durable. The price was a bit high for this grill, but it is what our parents wanted, and that is why we also split the cost of it. Other than that, I would highly recommend this product to anyone and everyone that is looking to buy a grill. Our family is very happy with how well this grill works.

Works great! Grills all of the good well and everything has a great flavor to it.

Very easy to use whether you are a beginner or expert cook.

Very easy to clean, especially when it is still warm.

• Versatility:

Everything you could want... all in one!

Comments about Char-Griller Duo Propane and Charcoal Grill S-:

This grill is a multi-functioning mecca! Unlike most dual gas/charcoal grills, this one offers equal 50/50 space for both gas grilling as well as charcoal. Not satisfied with just those options? The optional smoker attachment that mounts to the side offers an additional grilling feature... smoking! The only drawback is that it is a bit heavy, so it's not really the type of grill you could easily move around. Additionally, the weight of the grill itself compared to the support below is another reason why it doesn't move around so easy. But we are thrilled with our purchase and all the grilling options!

This grill gets hot quick... holds great temperature and the smoke stacks allow you to control how much heat you want to retain!

Versatility
    Charcoal, Gas or Smoking - this grill is the most versatile grill on the market!

The grill itself is heavy and sturdy. The frame that supports it leaves a little to be desired. If you are not planning on moving the grill often, then its certainly not a problem. But this grill is not meant to be moved around a lot.

Unlike other dual purpose grills, this grill offers equal grilling surface for either gas or charcoal. A BIG reason why we selected this model and we couldn't be happier!

Best of both worlds.

from Merrillville, IN

Comments about Char-Griller Duo Propane and Charcoal Grill S-:

The best because you can have the charcoal grill and the gas grill.

This grill is excellent for quick gas grill cooking, slower charcoal cooking and smoking. We don't have the smoker attachment but we smoke things in it.

Versatility
    Very versatile for what type of cooking you want charcoal or gas.

Little difficult to put together but great performance.

I didn't give it a 10 because the grates are hard to clean but it's great other than that.

• Versatility:

This grill is amazing and versatile. You can cook so much.

from West Virginia

Comments about Char-Griller Duo Propane and Charcoal Grill S-:

I am in love with this grill. I am not a fan of the charcoal or propane taste but I love to cook on this for my guy and it has a side burner that I can put pots and pans on and cook for myself. The grill is absolutely amazing. I can cook so much food on this. I can even cook charcoal and propane simultaneously.

One side of the grill has a rack for a propane tank and it runs off of gas. This is the side that I prefer to use because I can tolerate the propane taste better than charcoal. It cooks evenly and I can turn the heat up or down as I need it.

The other side of the grill is charcoal. I don't cook much on the charcoal side unless I have a lot to grill. The charcoal side is heated by the coals and if I don't spread them out perfectly the heat can be a bit uneven.

The grill also has a nice side burner on it. It is heated by the gas but the burner has to have a pot or pan set on it. This part allows me to boil things on the side or to cook something separate for myself since I don't like the taste of grilled food so much.

Overall a great buy. We're very happy with it. It's not usable in the winter here but we have a separate indoor grill for that purpose.

It does a great job. I prefer the gas for evenly cooking.

Versatility
    It is so versatile. I can cook with gas, charcoal, or on the burner.

It's very easy to use this grill. It takes a little while to learn how to light it but it's easy afterwards.

You have to scrub this thing with some elbow power.

It holds up nicely and hasn't got a speck of rust on it.

It's a bit huge and a team lift but it's got a good design and can be used with gas, charcoal, or the burner on the side.

this is a great grill

Comments about Char-Griller Duo Propane and Charcoal Grill S-:

This Char-Griller is the best of both worlds. You can use propane on one side, and charcoal in the other (or put in wood chips for smoking). I love that it is easy to light. Just open up the propane tank, set the dials on the three different zones, then push the starter button. The grill area is smaller because it is a duo with another griller for charcoal/smoking. The only complaint I have is that you have to babysit this grill if you are smoking anything. The side burner works well if you need a spot for pans.

I use my grill almost all year long. It works great. I haven't had any problems with this grill since we got it.

Versatility
    Smaller grill slats make it easy to cook things like piazza, veggies, tin foil dinners, etc. The smoker is nice to have, and same with the small pan area.

The grill side is as easy as the push of a button. The smoker is a little more complex, but still User friendly.

The grill slats come off which means you can get down in the bottom to clean it out.

I don't remember when we got this grill, but it still looks new and works like new too.

Nice design, makes it eye catching. It doesn't look as bulky as it is.

• Versatility:

Best of both worlds in grilling

Comments about Char-Griller Duo Propane and Charcoal Grill S-:

Husband loves propane, I am a charcoal girl, in this grill, we both can get great tasting foods and happy bellies.

Easy to cook on and can cook enough for our large family all at once. Not a grill for mass quantities at once but perfect for family eating.

Cooking surfaces are easy to remove for cleaning.

Had this grill a year, been used a lot, had no issues with any area of this grill.

Would like the cooking surfaces to be a little bit larger but over all its perfect for us.

• Versatility:

Have the best of both worlds with this grill.

Comments about Char-Griller Duo Propane and Charcoal Grill S-:

This is a high quality grill that exceeded our family's expectations. We'd had an older charcoal only grill that we liked just fine. Once it was on it's last leg, we debated what we'd like to purchase to replace it. This grill offered everything to please everyone. Not only would we have the option of propane on top of charcoal, but we added the smoker as well. Now we have three ways to cook, and we couldn't be more pleased.

Living in a warm climate, our grill is used year round. It gets a very active work out, and there has been zero issues with it even under high volume use. No matter if we use gas, charcoal, or the smoker, the food comes out delicious every time. If you're looking for value as well as quality, I highly recommend this grill. We looked at several competitors that wanted a lot more money to do the same things this grill does flawlessly.

Given the size of the grill, I'd suggest you find a place you want it and keep it there. It can be moved pretty easily, but this is a big grill. It takes up the amount of room you'd expect for something that offers so much versatility in cooking. If you were to buy separate grills for gas and charcoal, you'd end up using more room anyway, so we're pleased with the size and durability of this grill.

We've recommended this grill to our family and friends. Anyone who has come over and tried the ribs that we cook on it, or the smoked brisket has become a fan. You really can't go wrong here.

Wonderful grill

Comments about Char-Griller Duo Propane and Charcoal Grill S-:

My husband bought this grill and loves it. Works as a charcoal grill, also has a propane grill, and an optional smoker which we added on.

This grill can be used as either propane or charcoal, or both. We have had large gatherings of several hundred and this grill handled the cooking of all the meat perfectly. Husband manned the grill and had both the charcoal and propane grills, and also had the optional smoker running as well. Was the envy of the men in attendance.

Versatility
    Since it is propane or charcoal, don't have to worry about having everything on hand--we always have either gas in the bottle or charcoal on hand without having to make a special trip out for grilling supplies

Should not be out in the weather during rain or snow, so does have to be brought in for storage. We keep ours in the garage.

Very easy clean up, although it does seem easier to clean while the unit is still warm.

Not recommended for outside or uncovered storage.

I do wish it was built a little more rugged so that it could be left outside year around. It does have wheels on one end, so that it can be easily moved by an adult--too heavy however for a child to move.

• Versatility:

Best of both worlds for grilling, and a smoker option as well.

Comments about Char-Griller Duo Propane and Charcoal Grill S-:

I have owned the Char-Griller Duo Grill for three years. I have previously owned several charcoal grills and I own a wood burning pit smoker. This was my first propane grill purchase.

The Char-Griller Duo was easy to put together and set up. The instructions were well written and illustrated.

The convenience of either propane or charcoal grilling all in one unit is great. On the propane side, the electric start works every time. The grill has a side burner, which I quickly learned is handy for starting the charcoal chimney. Both grills use porcelain coated grills.

Char-griller also makes a table-top charcoal grill which can be attached to the charcoal side of the Duo Grill as a firebox. This give you the ability to use the charcoal grill side as a pit-style smoker using indirect heat. I may well get rid of my old pit smoker and use this as my smoker in the future.