Other Digital Cameras:
Canon
Canon - Digital Rebel XT / EOS 350D, 18-55mm Lens Digital Camera

Canon - Digital Rebel XT / EOS 350D, 18-55mm Lens Digital Camera

Camera Happy with my Canon Rebel XT/350D

I'm a fairly new SLR user. I researched for over a year, before deciding to purchase a Canon 350D/Rebel XT. I bought my baby for Christmas 2008. Since then I have taken THOUSANDS of pictures. My poor computer is getting slower by the second. I've always been snap-happy with a camera in my hands but, point-and-shoot digitals were slowing me down. No more! With my Rebel I can shoot about 6 frames per second in action mode... which I will say drives my family absolutely insane! They don't appreciate their personal paparazzi. My daughter, however, loves the attention!

I'm still playing around with all the settings... I will likely never know how to use them all, as there are so many. This is one of the things I loved most about this camera - it grows with you. It's as easy as a point and shoot- just select Auto and click away. Or you can move the dial around and play with other settings- for portrait, action, night mode, etc. But it's also a serious professional machine with the ability to go into manual mode, swap out lenses, add a Speedlite - the options are endless.

It's "only" an 8 megapixel camera- which I think stops a lot of people from buying this cheaper model. But 8 mp on an SLR is more than enough. This baby is good enough to make poster size prints, and definitely for doing professional quality magazine cover photos.

I bought a 50mm lens with a lower f-stop instead of going with the 18-55 mm kit lens. I like it because it takes great shots in lower light and is a good distance for general use. I recently purchased a second lens - this time a 35-80mm. It has a higher f-stop but I mainly use it for outdoor pictures and portraits, so it hasn't been an issue for me so far.

I am a scrapbooker and a hobbyist photographer, with hopes of being published and becoming professional. I have found the Rebel XT to be a great camera to introduce me to the world of SLRs. I love that I am getting high-quality photos all of the time now, instead of having to weed out hundreds of bad prints for a handful of keepers. This camera is definitely going to change the way I scrapbook.... the sky's the limit now!

High image quality, poor reliability

The Canon Rebel XTI is a 10MP DSLR.  When used with Canon lenses and RAW format it provides excellent image quality.  Camera functions and software are excellent and easy to use.  Battery life is low, but is successfully addressed by addition of a accessory battery pack.  The addition of an aftermarket LCD cover (e.g. Delkin) to minimize smuges is strongly recommended, as well.

Most serious photographers well forgo use of a bewildering preprogramed style (e.g. "sports, portrait...") choices in favor of time value (shutter preferred), aperture value (aperture preferred), or manual.  Exposure adjustments require use of a rotary switch located on the top cover of the body.  Unfortunately on my unit, this switch has failed on 3 occasions in less than 9 months of moderate use.

Canon, as well as other manufacturers, offer DSLR's with higher perceived build quality.  But it may be premature for the hobbiest to invest in these given the assumption future products will be higher in performance and lower in cost.

the best camera

from algeria

About Me Photography Student

Pros

• High ISO Performance

Cons

• Family Photos
    • Video

Comments about Canon - Digital Rebel XT / EOS 350D, 18-55mm Lens Digital Camera:

That this is a very good camera and I recommend everyone to use it they are really distinct compared with other cameras as it features a very fine lens, both in order to take a picture or video.
    It is a very professional use even in the filming of the tapes and short films. Very modern techniques.
    This camera has a very good exterior design and is small in size can be transferred with you wherever you wish they never bother you as it is one of a global company in the field and especially the digital cameras and Canon Inc. are known Basaddaradtha distinctive. Frankly, I've by the acquisition of one of this kind and did not regret the contrary, I discovered where many of the things that impressed me the most, and for this I advise you to use today.
    In addition, it is easy to use and very simple you do not need a lot of understanding and is not complicated, but it's very simple, all you need is a little getting used to it and found on the guide.
    If you want to get an excellent and distinct images and videos of high-tech precision, I advise you with this camera because it allows you the appropriate opportunity to do so and may be able to participate in a large international shows that you are professional photographers. So do not hesitate and ask for one of the site because it gives you this opportunity and very affordable compared to other centers sell.
    Come on do not hesitate because you are in front of the camera better.

• Was this a gift?:
    • I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Canon Digital Rebel XT is a great value and easy to use

from Greeneville, TN

I am fairly new to the digital SLR world, and the Canon Rebel XT is my first purchase since I began really getting into photography. The camera seems easy to use and takes wonderfully clear shots each and every time that I use it. The users guide is a bit lengthy and I haven't been able to get all the way through it yet, but the camera is easy enough and user-friendly enough that a person with even a basic knowledge of digital photography can point and shoot. The detachable lenses also come in handly for when you need to change the zoom on a shot. The flash on the top does seem to get in the way every now and then if you don't watch where you put your fingers. The hand grip on the side seems adequate enough to fit my finger tips on, though someone with larger hands might have a harder time at holding it just the right way. The features on this particular model are very good for someone that likes to take an assortment of pictures, from shooting kids in action to photographing flowers and such. For someone that is a family person and likes to have a camera always handy to use and needs to be able to rely upon a clear and crisp photo, this camera seems to be an ideal choice.

• Image Quality:
    • Battery Life:
    • Portability:

Great quality pictures- unnecessary in-camera processing, though

from Laconia, NH

I have had great results with this camera.  I hike extensively and do quite a bit of nature photography and also do still life photography in-studio....  This camera suits both needs beautifully.  The only drawback to this product is the unnecessary processing that can be done in the camera.  That is something more easily done on a computer (larger viewing area) with a software program such as Photoshop.  All of the other features are great, however, and easy to use.   I would recommend this product if you are looking for professional looking results.  Its a bit bulky for just shooting pictures of your kids playing in the backyard...

Absolutely the greatest quality digital pictures

from Lincoln Park, MI

I have tried several different digital cameras and stumbled across this digital SLR, i keep upgrading with each new advancement.  Great, quick, clear, no hesitation picture taking.  The camera was not difficult for me to use from the get go simply because I had tried so many other point and shoot models.

Awesome camera, if you can afford it

from Pittsburgh, PA

This is a great high-end camera if you can afford it.  The nicest part is that it's compatible with all canon EOS lenses, so if you have a film-based canon rebel (or any other camera that uses EOS lenses) they will work with this camera as well.The automatic mode is good for a beginner and "point-and-shoot" photography, but it's also great for the experienced photographer who likes to shoot on manual.

EXQUISITE

from Boonville, NC

I have loved this camera since the minute I opened the box. I quickly learned the basics of the Canon Rebel and began shooting pictures of anything and everything. I am on a college student's budget and found a very good deal on the camera. It is amazing how I can capture every little detail of my life as a student. I recently went to my football team's national championship game and shot some amazing action shots of the players. I am very pleased with the quality and durability of the camera. I highly recommend the Canon Rebel XT to any amateur photographer. It is lightweight and small making travel easy! Get ready to be amazed with this wonderful camera.

This is an excellent camera, loaded with features & easy to use!

from Campton, KY

My husband and I love our camera.  We take lots of pictures of our children!!!  My husband is in charge of our school's yearbook and he takes pictures for the yearbook and has students take pictures for it!  We are very satisfied with this camera!!!  It's pretty simple to use with basic features and has additional features for the more experienced photographer!

Absolutely amazing. I love it.

from Lemoore, CA

This camera is truly amazing.  I've owned mine for almost two years and I use it constantly.  It's great just as a point-and-shoot for the beginner, since everything can be automatic, but it also has so many manual settings for the more advanced.  I have taken some really stunning pictures with this camera, even when I was just getting started.  The only thing I don't like about it is the size.  It's not the kind of camera you want to stick in your purse to take everywhere with you!

Excellent quality for a lower price than others of this quality

from Thousand Oaks, CA

This is a great camera for an intermediate photographer.  It takes great quality pictures.  However, it is not for a person who wants to carry around a small camera for vacations.  It is quite a big bigger than the compact digital cameras.  The only drawback is that the lens does not zoom very much and to buy another lens can be quite pricey.

Excellent camera, excellent quality, photos are brilliant!

from Zimmerman, MN

I love my Canon Rebel EO5.  It is easy to use from the get-go, but has many deluxe features that you can learn and try.  I love the variety of lenses, filters and accessories available.  The battery life is pretty good, I would suggest you have two, one for back-up.  One thing that surprised me is you do not use the view screen on the back when taking photos, you will only take them from the eye view-finder. I was disappointed about that because I wanted to be able to point the camera away from me and gauge my shoot from a larger screen.  Also the camera is large and heavy, you can't tuck this one into your purse or pocket.  :-)