Other Digital Cameras:
Canon - 40D

Canon - 40D

Outstanding photographic vehicle

After shooting for over 25 years, I just bought myself a Canon 40d DSLR with a 28-135 telephoto zoom lens and I love them both.  For years I carried a Canon XT DSLR with the standard 18mm to 55mm lens and a 70mm to 200mm L lens for backup, but I find the 40d puts me in a whole new world as far as my photographic reaches.  Fast, efficient, very well made, and an LCD screen actually big enough to review photos and assess details without having to search for my reading glasses.  The ISO can be adjusted to need, and the automatic flash can be disabled as required for shooting specifics.  This is particularly handy for museum shots, or in low light situations.  The 10.1 megabyte aspect of the camera makes isolating particular areas of your photos for a full frame quality picture a breeze.  Camera adjustments for aperatures and speed can be easily accomplished, even while on the run.

After about a week I had begun to feel comfortable with the camera, and after reading a multitude of Canon camera literature, I'm comfortable and impressed with my new found ability for action sequences, confident of my field of focus manipulations, and beginning to catch up with a camera whose features far exceed my abilities at this point.  I also purchased a 4GB compact flash card which allows me to download when I have time, instead of planning downloads when my card is filling up.  I got over 990 pics worth of space when I plugged in the card for the first time!  Couldn't believe it!

The 28mm to 135mm has turned out to be the perfect walk around lens for traveling and capturing a plethora of scenes and events.  I particularly am fond of the lens image stabilization feature which allows great slow motion low light capabilities without tripod utilization.  I shoot with a polarizing filter 90% of the time for color enhancement indoors and out, and this feature has proved invaluable. While shooting in the Sistine Chapel in February of 2008 with minimal light and hordes of tourists bumping into me as we were literally shoulder to shoulder with no chance of a monopod, and the shots came out beautifully.  Well....most of them.  Only so much can be done in a large room with tons of people when everyone is looking up, and no one is looking out.  It's kinda like running for a subway in NYC.

I am very pleased with every aspect of this camera, and would recommend it for expericenced photographers, semi pros, for those wanting to step up from a point and shoot, and for those who just want a pic of the kids at the game.  Good performance and great fun.

Canon 40D takes great photos, until it stops...

I received this as a wedding present that I picked out. I was SO excited about it, after reading reviews and seeing the photos that other people had taken with theirs. It was also the most expensive thing I'd ever owned, including my car.

First of all, until it quit working (hopefully it will work again soon, but we'll get there), I did get some GREAT photos with it. I'm not a professional photographer, but I can take a pretty great photo now and then. I was very happy with the photos I've taken with this camera. Definitely professional quality.

The great thing about Canon's EOS cameras is that the lenses are interchangeable, which is something to keep in mind if you plan on upgrading cameras some day, because you will certainly save money on lenses.

Here is the bad part. One day, while shooting, I recieved the dreaded "Error 99" message. I turned the camera off, and back on, and then took another photo. I received the same message, and have in between EVERY SINGLE photo I have taken since. Not so fun. I have never dropped this camera nor put it in any situation that would cause it harm, so it has to be a defect. While Canon is fixing it for free, it's going to take 2 weeks longer than they said it would initially, and I only found that out after it was a week late.

I have read about other people having this same issue, so PLEASE look into this before making such a big purchase. You could end up severely dissappointed.

capture the moment

Comments about Canon - 40D:

What is the best camera to take a quality photo with? The camera you have with you... but this should be the camera you have with you! It is easy to use and takes great photos. If you are interested in expanding your photography skills the camera can be used in manual mode or if you are just starting out there is an auto mode. This is an amazing camera and would recommend it to someone wanting to move out of the pocket point and shoot camera world, to a more advanced camera.

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

Canon 40D is a Great camera

from Cincinnati, OH

Comments about Canon - 40D:

My husband an I were one of the first to purchase the Canon Digital Rebel when it first came out. After many faithful years of service we decided to retire the Rebel and move up to the Canon 40D. The only thing that had gone bad on the Rebel was the shutter, and the 40D offered a shutter warrentee as well as a more sturdy body. It also has the new processor and many of the features that have come out in the years since the Rebel was first put on the market. The larger LCD screen for viewing images is great and I love the scroll wheel for navagating through pictures. The image quality is amazing. I am suprised at how easily I can pick out pictures taken from this camera versus pictures taken from my old Rebel or our more compact digital Minolta. I am also loving the fast fps rate. I always felt like I was missing important shots waiting on my Rebel to catch up. With the 40D, I am sure to capture every shot I want. I like the Canon brand and was able to use all of my existing lenses with the new camera. I am not a professional, but I would recommend the Canon 40D for anyone that loves photography and is willing to spend the money to get a great product.

I expected a lot from this camera and Canon delivered

from Florence, SC

Comments about Canon - 40D:

Simply put, the dynamic Range on this body is awesome. Perhaps the deepest I've seen. Every single level of this camera blows me away. I am thrilled with auto sensor cleaning. In the field, it is hard not to pick up dust when you change lenses a lot. The cleaning system is a big plus, in my opinion. The other upgrades are nice including the larger LCD.

Great DSLR

from Grand Rapids, MI

Comments about Canon - 40D:

This was my first DSLR. I purchased it about three years ago. Previous to that I had a Rebel XT. I took a photography class at my local community college to learn how to shoot in manual mode. This camera has a great manual, easy to read.

The 40d was the camera I started my photography business with. I like that it is light weight, has the option to use other canon lenses.

I had difficulty getting sharp images at an ISO above 1000, there was some grain. I couldn't figure out how to get the ISO above 1600 even after reading the manual...I gave up.

Overall it is a great camera to start out with. I have used it professionally for two years, until recently upgrading to the canon 5d mark II. I will continue to use the 40d as my backup camera or to take with me on family vacations, etc.

Love it..anyone can use it

from Santa Ana, CA

Comments about Canon - 40D:

I have owned and used this for about 3 years now and still learning new things. It has many many great features for amatuer photographers. I like how I am able to use it with Aperature priority setting or shutter priority setting when the lighting conditions are constantly changing. When the lighting requires me to manually set the exposure, I can do so as well.

I like the large LCD screen and the quality of the picture. I just wished the camera was able to handle a higher iso setting without too much grain on the photos.

The camera is a decent weight, and can get a little heavy with a larger lens on or if you are shooting for a long period of time. But then again, you would run into this problem with any other dslr.

I love my Canon 40D!

from Fort Worth, TX

Comments about Canon - 40D:

After much, much research I decided on the Canon 40D digital SLR camera.  I have the kit lens EF 28-135 IS USM.  I am currently at the level of a hobbiest and working on moving up from a snapshot picture taker to a thought out photographer.  I wanted something that was more than just an entry level camera but not so professional that it would be very difficult to learn.  This is the camera I was looking for!  I had read so many excellent reviews on this camera.

The picture quality is great.  There are so many options and this camera is capable of so much. There is no way that I could list all of its capabilities on this review.  This camera can do it all.  The battery life is excellent. This camera is heavy compared to the Rebel cameras but I was aware of that when I bought it.  The body is made of a different material. I bought a smaller portrait lens as well and have no concerns.  If you have an interest of morethan just shooting smapshots then this is an excellent camera to buy!

Very Fast Canon

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Canon - 40D:

Canon have advertised their association with sports photography for many years and it's not just marketing fluff. This is a semi professional camera with the heavy, but rugged magnesium alloy build to match. As with virtually all cameras of this class, the power on time is very quick. This model captures a maximum of 10.1 megapixels on it's aps-c sized CMOS sensor. This is about ideal for the sensor size and is enough to create professional quality size images. As with many semi professional cameras it will often be sold without a kit lens, so you will have the freedom to choose which you want. I have found that Canon lenses are generally less expensive than Nikon lenses. The thing that struck me the most about this camera was the speed. When you want to take sports action shots, just point and hold done the shutter. It is amazingly fast. The body has some moisture sealing, but certainly not enough to be submerged in liquid. Overall, this is a great camera which is very fast and takes good pictures.

This is an outstanding Camera

from Grosse Ile, MI

Comments about Canon - 40D:

We love this camera.  We use it for photographing stills of the family to fast moving sports action shots.

WIth a standard 50mm lens we can get a nice photo of our son with his prom date and the a 100 to 250 lens we get wonderful goal scoring shots of our daughter playing hockey.

This is a great camera for the home photo nut.  No point and click can give you the clear photos this camera can.  We created 16X20 photos of fast action that are clean and krisp.

Great value for the camera

from Bandera, TX

Comments about Canon - 40D:

I'm a part time professional photographer, and have been for over 10 years - I shoot with two of these Canon 40D's, everything from high school seniors to weddings to babies and children, and they perform like champs. In about two years of usage each, I've had to replace the shutter or shutter assembly on each, but that's because I also use them to shoot middle school and high school sports for my newspaper, which can run up to 1,000 images per game. You can burn through a prosumer shutter pretty fast like that.

These new and especially used right now are in my opinion the best value in the camera market, which may be replaced by the 50D with its higher resolution LCD in the near future. But for now, this is the camera body I recommend when friends or students ask me what's the best dSLR to step into the field with.

Beautiful photos, makes gorgeous 20x30 prints and larger (have a couple of billboard shots for clients out on the highway), fast enough for sports and reliable enough for weddings. Great camera.

The Canon 40D is an Excllent DSLR Camera!

from Arden, NC

Comments about Canon - 40D:

I am a professional photographer and the Canon 40D is one of my favorite bodies to use! I've worked with several camera's that include both crop and full frame sensors. As far as crop camera's, the 40D is absolutely excellent! It is more compact then some of the other DSLR's on the market, and yet produces far more stunning images! It has an excellent autofocus system with 10.1 megapixels. It is very user friendly, and if you've worked with any of Canon's DSLR's you will find it very easy to transition to. The features that I love most are the rapid shooting mode, the large LCD, and the automatic sensor cleaning. In previous Canon models, you had to manually clean the sensor or have it sent away to be cleaned. The 40D was built with an integrated cleaning system, which makes it much more convenient. The LCD screen has also improved from previous models, now being much more clearer and is 3.0 inches instead of 2.5.

When I first got the 40D, I kept getting the "Error 99" message, until I did some research and discovered it has to deal with the kind of CF memory card being used. I quickly switched from a cheap memory card to a SanDisk Extreme Card and have had no issues what so ever! As long as you are using a quick CF card, you should have no problems. Overall, I highly recommend this camera to both professionals and amateurs alike!