Other Dog Foods:
California Natural
California Natural Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult Large Bites Dry Dog Food

California Natural Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult Large Bites Dry Dog Food

• Flavor Selection:

The only food that my dog isn't allergic to!

My dog was always scratching and never had fleas so I took him to the vet and had an allergy test (a very expensive one) done.  It turns out that he was allergic to so many things - beef, brewers yeast, eggs, milk, soy - just to name a few.  The list was about 50+ things long and I searched high and low for a dog food that didn't contain those ingredients.  After months of searching in pet store chains, mass market stores, local pet shops and online - I finally discovered California Natural dog food and I was thrilled!  Even the dog foods that proclaimed to be for dogs with allergies contained many of the ingredients that my poor puppy was allergic to.  We buy the California Natural Lamb and also the California Natural Chicken dry food for our dogs.  It's spendier than the other food we were used to purchasing for our pets, but worth it now that my dog isn't scratching all of his fur off all the time.

My poor dog couldn't handle it

My husband and I adopted a boxer puppy, only to discover shortly after that he was a puppy mill puppy with a slew of health issues. One of which is a weak stomach. For 5 years we kept him on Iams, but were told that it was a horrible food to feed him and to try California Natural dog food. We oh so slowly switched over to California Natural but from day one it was HORRIBLE. While his coat got shinier, he had diarrhea something fierce! I backed off and thought maybe I was switching him over too fast, but his stool never hardened and his gas was just as bad as ever. For the price difference between California Natural and Iams, I would have thought that there would have been a bigger improvement than there was, but this stuff made him sick! I'm sure he is allergic to something, but while I figure it out, I can't take his suffering. I switched him back to Iams and he's had hard stools ever since. I was definitely surprised that this didn't turn out well for us since it has such a high consumer rating, but it just isn't the fix for my dog.

Amazing product

from San Diego ca

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
  • Easy To Digest
  • Improves Coat
  • Nutritional
  • Tasty

Cons

• Expensive

• Active Dogs
  • Larger Dogs
  • Older Dogs
  • Smaller Dogs
  • Special Needs

Comments about California Natural Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult Large Bites Dry Dog Food:

My dog is a maltese poodle mix, she has a lot of hair and is prone to shedding. I decided to write this review on the California Natural dry dog food just to let everyone know how great it is. This specific formula is for dogs that have skin and coat issues. My dog needed a change in diet so I replaced her old dog food with this brand. Her fur coat has never looked better its fuller and soft. My dogs skin is less pink as well which means she is not as irritated anymore. This dog food has saved her coat especially when she sheds year round her hair doesn't break off easily like it use to. My dog likes how crunchy this formula is, it's not that hard on her jaws and she can easily eat the whole bowl. I like that this dog food has additional vitamins and minerals so I know she's getting the best in her diet. This brand also uses really simple ingredients which makes it easier for me to know exactly what she's eating. My only con is that it is expensive but definitely worth the investment. I hope this review helps you.

Good food, okay price

from Concord, NC

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
  • Easy To Digest
  • Improves Coat
  • Nutritional
  • Tasty

Cons

• Expensive

My dog was one of those medical cases that no one could ever solve. She had digestive issues that were never really diagnosed with 100% clarity. She would eat one food and do fine on it for a while, then suddenly react violently to it. That cycle continued for a couple of years until we tried California Natural Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult Large Bites Dry Dog Food. She took to it very well, and in turn, it seemed to do very well for her. Her exploding bowel incidents decreased in frequency, her activity levels picked up and best of all, she seemed to just feel better all over.

The ingredients are good for a diet that contains grains. I did notice that on occasion, I would encounter a bag that would appear "off." The oils seemed to go rancid, or at least that's what I was told by an employee at the pet store where I purchased the food. So, that's something that should be checked for closely if you buy this food.

It's a little bit overpriced to me, but it was worth it to see my dog doing better. I don't know what the magic ingredient was that turned her around on this food, but once we found out she did well on it, we would've paid whatever it took to keep her doing well.

Great food

I bought this food for my dogs because the lady in my local pet store said it was supposed to be really good for my dogs. So, when I got it home I was excited to give it to them, and I am so glad that I did because my dogs just adored the food. I even looked at the ingredients for the food and it appears that they are all good for the dogs, and not just a specific type of dog, but for all dogs, of any breed or size. The only real downside to this dog food is the price. It is kind of on the more expensive side of dog foods, but other than that the dog food is fantastic! The food is supposed to be for bigger dogs, but I gave it to my little dogs, and they seemed to eat it just fine without any problems.

Quality of Ingredients
    After looking at the ingredients, I saw that they were all great for my dogs which is great because the better ingredients in the dog food that you have the longer chance of living that you will give your dogs.

• Flavor Selection:

Great food for dogs who need quality for healthy tummy!

Before our dog was diagnose with an allergy, we switched to this food from Iam's. It made a HUGE difference in her behavior, her going to the bathroom and her "itchiness." However, we still needed to go one step further to a limited ingredient food for allergies but I would recommend this to anyone who's dog is currently on a low quality (anything sold in your local grocery store really) food and is having stomach or behavior problems.

Quality of Ingredients
    Our trainer told us that switching your dog to this food from something like Iam's is like making them a fresh sandwich for a meal instead of taking them to McDonald's. It has quality ingredients, limited fillers and not only will help with digestive issues but also behavior - and it did!

Flavor Selection
    I usually stick to a chicken and rice or lamb and rice anyway, and this brand provides those flavors so works for me! Keeping your dog eating the same thing everyday is a good thing, you shouldn't be providing different varieties anyway.

• Flavor Selection:

Super quality but expensive.

from Toledo, OH

One of my dogs loved California Natural Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult Large Bites Dry Dog Food and the other one didn’t care for it at all and wouldn’t eat more than a few bites of it. Unfortunately the dog that didn’t like it was the dog that I was really buying it for. This dog food is a very high quality dog food with less fillers in it than other brands but that didn’t do any good since my dog just refused to eat it. He was my main purpose in buying this dog food because I thought it would be healthier for him since he isn’t a big eater. My other dog loved it but he is not a picky eater and always eats well. This dog food is very expensive so I consider it a treat when I buy it for him. It does give him a nice shine to his coat and his breath actually smells better when he eats this dog food. He gets less hot spots also when he is eating this food so I will buy it for him if I notice that he is scratching a lot in any particular area.

• Flavor Selection:

MY DOG LOVED IT! I would definitely buy this dog food again!

from Citrus Heights, CA

My dog ate this dog food from the moment I placed her bowl on the floor. She seemed to enjoy the change. The dog food was good smelling, the bites were a good size, and the ingredients appeared to be much better than many of the over the counter, store bought brands. My dog seemed to gobble the California Natural Lamb and Rice Dog Food right up.

Quality of Ingredients
    Not many bi-products, filled with vegetables and minerals. It is filled with Natural Lamb products and rice, not the usually wheat, and dust fillers that you find in a lot of dry dog foods that are in grocery stores around the country. The size of the morsels are medium size and were easy for my dog to chew. I read the back of the back and was pleased to not find any fillers and ALL natural ingredients in this product which made me feel very confident in giving this dog food to my family member, my precious dog, Candy!

Flavor Selection
    My dog seemed to really enjoy the taste of this dog food.

• Flavor Selection:

Very good, but not quite great

I feed this dog food to my siberian husky on occassion. He really seems to enjoy it much more than the cheaper economy bags that one can find at mass merchandisers. He almost seems to enjoy it too much, for being the dainty eater that he is, the bag never seems to last very long. Combined with the price being what it is, I can't justify buying this brand every time. I love to give Gizmo the healthy food he deserves, but for the size and price, it is equally economical to mix up your own dog food based on your breeds needs. Chicken, egg, long grains, etc.

Quality of Ingredients
    Top of the line ingredients in good percentages that match up with other top line dog food companies.

Flavor Selection
    One flavor is all there is available in this brand. It's a good flavor, according to Gizmo, so this is not a major issue, unless it is the only brand you purchase, then it may become old hat. If you're like me and purchase only occassionally, this is rather a non-issue.

My Dog Loves This!

This is one of my favorite dog foods because it works well for both me and my dog. My dog is allergic to a lot of dog food (specifically chicken) so lamb is the way to go for him. He's also very picky and gets bored of dog food easily, looking at me like "Is this REALLY what you're giving me?" if I give him some brands. However, with this one, he's always really loved it and will eat it almost immediately when I fill his bowl, which is a bit uncharacteristic of him. Sometimes with other brands, he'll also wait to see if there's something else better he can get, but with this one he's ready to go right away and chomps it down.

Like a lot of other dogs in the US, my dog has also had issues with weight gain and being overweight. In combination with increased exercise, this food has really helped him keep his weight down as well which has given him more energy and made him an overall happier dog. The fact that he loves this so much and the ingredients are natural makes me a very happy dog owner!

• Flavor Selection:

Best dog food out there!

This is the only kind of food that I buy for my two dogs and they seem to love it! I have bought other brands in the past and they always ate but I can tell that they must love this brand a whole lot more than the others! I think that it is a great buy and they prices are always reasonable for this brand of dog food. I highly reccomend buying it for your own dogs!

Great for my Great Dane

I bought this for my five year old Great Dane after my vet recommended it.My gentle giant just wasn't as playful and energetic as she had been.They had changed her diet before but no other dog food had such a dramatic and noticeable difference or effect.Before when I tried new foods she wouldn't give them a chance.She absolutely loved California Natural Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult Bites Dry Dog Food.She became much more energetic than she had been previous to trying this product.I would absolutely recommend this product to any of my friends who have a large breed dog and will continue to buy this product for my gentle giant.I am so grateful to California Natural for providing dog lovers with such a great option in nutrition for our pets.I honestly can't see myself changing dog foods anytime in the future.From my Dane and myself thank you so much for caring about our pets as much as we do