4.8
Other Dog Foods:
Dry Dog Food
Blue Buffalo

4.8

Pros

• Dog likes it (5)
  • Easy to digest (4)
  • Nutritional (4)
  • Improves coat (3)
  • Tasty (3)

Cons

• Pricey / poor value (4)

• Older dogs (5)
  • Active dogs (4)
  • Larger dogs (4)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Long-time pet owner (5)

GREAT QUALITY ..the BEST!

If you want your dog to get the very best in nutrition and less fillers and nasty by- products, choose this dog food. It's a cut above the rest.

First...Read complete review

First rule of thumb when shopping for dog food is to shop where you DONT shop for your food! Think about it- would you get your own food from a pet food store ?! Most brands in the supermarkets are the old stand bys , very well known for cheap fillers . Check out the first ingredient. That is usually the most telling.
Get to a good pet food store and shop there. Once you read labels, you will see this brand is top notch!

Quality of Ingredients
I have a very sensitive Golden Retriever. Soooo many by products and fillers, allergens and wheat in most foods and my dog is scratching all day long, with laskluster fur. This food has my dog " itch free'! The fur looks great, his eyes shine and he is full of vitality. Took us a long time to figure out what these allergies were....thought they were from the great outdoors, but the vets convinced me to try a high quality dog food.

It took me nearly 2 years for a disagnosis. I really believed it was a sort of hayfever . It cost me quite a bit of money too, and I had the ppor dog on Benadryl and eye drops and was constantly paying for grooming ( oatmeal baths) What a waste !

Took 3 weeks for results to show. You are what you eat!

Flavor Selection
I have a fussy dog, and he wolfs it down... he loves the flavors!

Not Worth The Price

I have recently been trying new dog foods for my dogs, as they have been having some allergies and other food related issues. After reading all the rave reviews about Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Large Breed Adult Chicken & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food here on Viewpoints, I decided to give it a try.

I was a little taken aback by the price tag for this particular tier of food, but I figured if it was as great as everyone said it was, it would be money well spent. Unfortunately, that would not turn out to be the case.

I did the slow switch method, mixing their old kibble with the new Blue Buffalo to avoid digestive distress, but even so, I noticed that they had loose, almost greasy looking bowel movements. Once I switched over to only Blue Buffalo kibble and none of their old food, it got worse.

My dogs are not finicky, but it took some coercing on my part to get them to eat this food without anything added to it to entice them. Even I found the smell a little off. Finally after three days of tough love, they started to eat it, but I've definitely never seen them avoid eating anything.

After about two weeks on the Blue Buffalo only, their bowels have still not adjusted and they are both experiencing dry, dull coats and itchy skin.

I'm not impressed. After finishing the bag, I've switched to another food and the bowel issues have already cleared up and their coats are already looking shinier and healthier.

For the price of this food, you can find something better. Keep shopping.

My dogs love this!

from NC

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
  • Easy To Digest
  • Improves Coat
  • Nutritional
  • Tasty

Cons

• Expensive

• Older Dogs

Comments about Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Large Breed Adult Chicken & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food:

I bought this for my dog one day because she wouldnt eat her other dog food and it had way better nutrition facts compared to others ive bought. She loved it and ate every last bit in her bowl, she gained back weight she had lost, her coat was nice and shiny, had more energy and overall she would eat it and was healthier. After i bought it to test out; it was my go to dog food for her. My other dog really enjoyed it as well he would be ecstatic when it was feeding time. He is also a picky eater but ate the whole bowl i gave him. Both my dogs love it and every since I bought it that is the only thing i buy them.

I have bought this product for my dog for years now!

from Pikeville, TN

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
  • Easy To Digest
  • Healthy
  • Improves Coat
  • Nutritional
  • Strengthens Bones
  • Tasty

Cons

• Expensive

• Special Needs

My 12 year old chocolate Labrador has horrible arthritis. She was eating Purina pet food but her Veterinarian suggested trying Blue Buffalo to strengthen her bones and honestly, ever since I've switched her to it, she's been more active and hasn't limped as much! She seems to be a happier dog overall. The only downside is that it is on the expensive side, but when it comes to our pets health, it is more than worth it!

Blue for my boy

from columbia,tn

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
  • Easy To Digest
  • Improves Coat
  • Nutritional
  • Tasty

Cons

• Expensive

• Older Dogs

Since i put Baxter on blue His coat looks good he seems more active.

Good Quality, Not the Best Tasting

from Woodbury, MN

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Nutritional

Cons

• Dog Doesn't Like It

• Older Dogs

I'm giving this dog food a overall good review because it does actually seem to be pretty healthy for dogs, especially compared to a lot of the dog foods out there. It's good ingredients and great for larger dogs. The only downside, is our dog is picky about her food. She isn't one to eat the whole bowl of food immediately unless it's something super tasty so usually her food sits out a while during the day before she eats it all. She likes the "unhealthy" food, as most kids do =) We usually buy another more inexpensive food to pair with it so she gets good tasting AND healthy mixed together. Or we'll add rice or a healthy dog-approved homemade broth. Then she loves it. Other dogs we've had over love this food though, so looking nutritionally, it's worth buying to try!

toooooooooooop

from saadz

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
  • Good Value

Cons

• Bad Taste
  • Expensive

• Older Dogs

This product adds good flavor

My dog raely loved

from I love this

About Me Professional Pet Trainer

Pros

• Dog Likes It
  • Easy To Digest
  • Good Value

Cons

• Bad Taste
  • Hard to Digest
  • Messy

• Puppies

My dog loved

Not Worth The Price

from Concord, NC

For the price of this food, you can find something better. Keep shopping.

• Flavor Selection:

Irish Wolfhound loves it.

We own and take care of (foster) several dogs. This isn't the brand we usually buy for our Wolfhound, but our brand was sold out. This looked like a good option since it's was the closest to his usual brand. We had no choice but to slowly introduce this into what was left of his old brand. He gobbled his food down after eating this. Even if the brand comes back on the shelves, from now on we'll be purchasing Blue Buffalo. We maybe even find a type of the brand to switch our other dogs to as well.

The price is quiet expensive but even our large dog doesn't go through a lot of it. He also has more energy, so it's well worth the extra expense. I've seen a change in his coat as well since we've switched.

I highly recommend this dog food to anyone with large dogs.

Quality of Ingredients
This dog food contains antioxidants. It also has no meat bi-products, wheat, or soy.

Flavor Selection
All we could find in the store was the chicken and rice ones for larger dogs, but I saw online that there are several varieties available.

Wonderful

from Denham Springs, LA

Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula for large breed dog food is a wonderful product. About a year ago I found a very malnourished Rottweiler in my neighborhood. He was an adult male, but only weighed 65 pounds. Average size for this dog is 120 pounds. He was very sick and weak. The veterinarian recommended Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula for him because we had no idea how the dog would handle other dog food. I was very hesitant at first because the price was so much higher than what I pay for my other dog's food, but I was determined to help this dog become healthy again. The dog loved this food. He was excited at feeding time. The first three weeks he ate so much trying to regain weight. It didn't upset his stomach, no gas, and made his coat beautiful again. Parker is now a wonderful healthy part of the family.

Quality of Ingredients
The ingredients in Blue Buffalo Life Protection Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe are so natural. I really liked how it did not have preservatives and by-products.

Great food

When thinking about how this food worked as compared to the other one, this food was much better because of the fact that my four little dogs seemed to really enjoy it. When I bought it I was I was worried because the bag had no indication as to what size dogs this particular food would be best for, and like I said my dogs are all little, but the food was just right for them. I had no problems with it. The only real downside to this food is that the price is definitely a bit extreme, especially for dog food, but other than that great dog food.

Quality of Ingredients
The taste of the food makes my dogs happy, and the ingredients make me happy. The main reason I purchased despite its rather high price was because of the ingredients. Everything in this food is fantastic for my dogs.

Flavor Selection
The flavor of this food must be good because my dogs could not take their faces away from their dog bowl. As far as the selection of flavors goes I did not see any other ones, but it gets a ten because my dogs enjoyed it.