Other Body Lotions:
Burt's Bees

Pros

Cons

• Absorption:

It truly is the farmers friend.

I can understand why they call this the farmers friend. I live on farm land and this is truly a great product. Not only does it last forever, it is also all natural and organic which I love. It's easy on my skin and I can use it for months.

The salve is very greasy feeling but that is what comes with any salve. It's not a lotion or a cream and isn't designed to absorb like one.

To me, this works best at night because if you use it through the day it makes your hands a little slick. It works on humans and animals too. I've used this on the cows and horses while they are breast feeding to provide some chaffing relief and it does an amazing job. It also does a great job on humans who are breastfeeding, but it isn't designed for that.

I've used this on my hands and on my feet. I usually just rub it on and go to bed but if you're worried about getting it on anything, you could always wear socks and mitts to bed. This helps in absorption and softening.

I really like the scent of this too. It's very earthy and yet it smells like the olive oil and flowers in it too. It doesn't rash me out or make my skin itch like some products do. It doesn't have any artificial perfumes or dyes in it which is what makes it one of my go to hand products.

It can be a little hard to open and close at times, especially after applying the product.

I really enjoy the scent. It smells like olive oil and flowers. It's all natural smelling.

Absorption
It doesn't really absorb into the skin but it's a salve so it's not supposed to. I hate to rate it so low on absorption. It does absorb over night and if you're concerned with the greasy feel, use a very miniscule amount.

It helps my cracked knuckled and my chaffing.

A tub of lard! This hand salve is like solid grease.

***Quick View:*** This salve is over the top greasy. It's natural but still, messy. Not my favorite or even close to it. I won't use it.***About Burt's Bees Hand Salve***The salve comes in a 3 ounce tin and a mini size. The salve is yellow and looks like hard grease. It is made with natural ingredients like almond oil, olive oil, beeswax, and rosemary oil.There are no preservatives in this so I suggest buying the mini because 3 ounces goes a long way.. You just need a tiny bit on your hands or everything around you will be greasy and oily. Ugh. I tried to use it and it was too heavy for me. I know the ingredients are good and natural products are better than ones with all kinds of chemicals but, really, this is like hardened lard. I never did get it to absorb into my hands. It just sat there forming a film that wouldn't go away. I did find, if I slather the stuff on, then wipe it off with a soft cloth, that my hands feel softer but I can get soft hands without the hassle of all that. I am totally unimpressed with this salve and can't imagine who would use this unless it was a bedtime thing. You wouldn't want to wear it then shake someone's hand. Ew.***My Viewpoint******Burt's Bees Hand Salve*** is a tin of solid grease! It may be good with gloves at night but it doesn't absorb well at all under normal conditions. It's natural but it's just too greasy for me. ***2 stars at best.***

So soothing!

from Archdale,NC

About Me Budget Buyer

Pros

• Absorbs Quickly
  • Goes On Smoothly
  • Moisturizes Well
  • Not Greasy
  • Softens Skin

Cons

• Deep Moisturization
    • Dry/Chapped Skin
    • Winter Dryness

Comments about Burt's Bees Hand Salve:

My husband loves to use this product because his hands get so dry and chapped during the winter months. This product is for when you are in need of some serious relief. It is for when an everyday lotion won't cut it. It is very moisturizing and very soothing as well. I use it even though my problems with dryness are not as severe as my husband's. We both love using it during the winter months. It relieves the burning and irritation almost immediately. An all around great product!

Miracle Worker

Comments about Burt's Bees Hand Salve:

I am absolutely in love with this salve. It does an amazing job, healing my chapped, cracked, rough hands. Just a few uses of this product is all I need to renew my hands, making them softer, stop the flaking, and making my hands all around healthier. This gave me amazing results, and it did an amazing job healing my skin. I am a huge fan of this product and I will definitely be buying this product again.

This salve has a herbal scent that reminds me of rosemary and pine trees. It has a woodsy, natural scent that doesn't irritate my skin.

Absorption
    It takes a little while to rub this product in, but it leaves my hands non-greasy and makes them softer right away.

I had extremely chapped, dry hands. They were prone to getting cuts, and I probably has five cuts on my hands. I used this product and overnight, the cuts were mostly healed, and my skins felt much softer and most of the dry skin was gone. I was really amazed by the results of this product. It has impressive healing properties.

Anybody need any lard?

from Kansas

Comments about Burt's Bees Hand Salve:

I am a huge fan of Burt's Bees due to their mostly natural products, positive vibe from the company, and how efficient their products usually are. This however is just a mess of greasy gross smelling ickiness [let's act like that is a word!]

I got this product in a Burt's Bees sample pack. I'm so glad I didn't ever go buy it in stores, it would have been a waste of money. The little tin it was in was very hard to open - I couldn't grip it properly. When I opened the container I just kept looking at it. It just looked greasy, so imagine how it felt. I tried it and I swear it felt like I was rubbing lard onto my hands. I immediately went and washed my hands. Oh, and it smelled GROSS. I initially thought I had just gotten a bad container of it or something because there was no way a Burt's Bees product could be that bad, right? I later asked a friend if she had tried it and she said she had the same experience. Overall, I DO NOT recommend this product...Burt's Bees really let us down on this one.

• Absorption:

It truly is the farmers friend.

from West Virginia

Absorption

It helps my cracked knuckled and my chaffing.

• Absorption:

Great for Dry Winter Skin!

Comments about Burt's Bees Hand Salve:

Burt's Bees hand salve is a winter must have for me. We all know how dry the winter air can be, especially when the temperatures are just at the freezing point. It seems like most creams only provide temporary relieve. This hand salve is the real deal. Although it goes on a little sticky, it really cures the winter dry skin that our hands suffer. I make sure to pay close attention to my cuticles and knuckles, as those are often missed and frequently crack when the air is cold and dry.
    This product is also awesome for those who work in a bank or office. Sometimes handling a lot of paper can do a job on your hands. They get dry, cracked, and are prone to paper cuts. I make sure to keep hand salve in my desk drawer to help with this! Often, my coworkers steal it.
    I think it smells a little weird, kind of like a crayon. For me, the scent took some time to warm up to. But, the thing I kept in mind was it was about the results, not about the smell!

Not Right for Me

from Nashville, TN

Comments about Burt's Bees Hand Salve:

Although I give this Burt's Bees Hand Salve props for moisturizing your skin, this is not a product you will find me using. It smells horrible, leaves your skin very greasy and has a ton of other things that I really do not like about it.

It is yellow, and while it is made with all natural ingredients like beeswax, it is far to greasy to be of benefit to me. It is almost like you've rolled around in Wesson oil after using this product.

When they say a little goes a long way they really mean it with this product. It takes just a small amount to do its job a little too well.

It stinks!

Absorption
    Once you apply this do not expect to touch anything that you do not want to get greasy. It leaves the skin very greasy and sticky feeling and that is not a good feeling that you will like.

If you can get through all of the greasy feelings and the smell of the product, a little bit will get your hands soft. It works great for cracked hands and excessively dry hands.

Pure Moisturizing Oils

Comments about Burt's Bees Hand Salve:

Burt's Bees Hand Salve is unlike any other hand lotion you will find out there in the market. Compacted into a little tin, this salve is potent with nourishing and moisturizing oils formulated especially for the hands. When I wash dishes, and do many other things, my hands can get stripped of the moisture they need and this salve more than amply replenishes them. Burt's Bees Hand Salve is also the perfect remedy for dry skin during the winter and exposure to wind. At first, the formula seems overly greasy and a little sticky as it dries and absorbs into your skin, but it will leave your hands feeling supple and moisturized. Used every day, the results are only even better.

This product does not have distinctive scent.

Absorption
    Give it a little time to absorb fully into the skin.

Using this product is like massaging pure oils into your skin; the results are amply moisturized skin.

• Absorption:

Too greasy to use, except at bedtime

Comments about Burt's Bees Hand Salve:

My husband and I are big fans of a salve from Vermont that contains tea tree, lavender, aloe, and shea butter, but it's not very common outside northern New England. We're big fans of other Burt's Bees products, so we decided to try Burt's Bees Hand Salve in hopes that would be a good substitute for our hard-to-find favorite. Sadly, that hasn't been our experience. It's a good moisturizer, but the waxy texture makes it hard to use during the day, so it's become a night cream for my hands.

It has a fairly strong herbal/eucalyptus scent when you apply it, and it fades (but still lingers) for a while. I find it pleasant, so long as I don't rub my nose.

Absorption
    For me, absorption is the weak point for Burt's Bees Hand Salve. It feels greasy for a while after I apply it, so I don't want to use it when I'll be using my hands. Instead, I've started applying to my hands it after I wash my face at bedtime.

Burt's Bees Hand Salve has a good mix of moisturizers, but it's hard to really benefit from them due to the textural issues. Using it at night, though, I've found that my hands are less rough and irritated.

• Absorption:

Not a product I would purchase again

from Albuquerque, NM

Comments about Burt's Bees Hand Salve:

My son purchased a tin of this for me about a year ago to help with some skin cracking around my nails that was very painful. I tried the salve several times but I still have 98% of the tin left. It was hard for me to tell if it was working because the medicinal smell of the salve was so strong that it was hard to keep it on as the smell made me feel sick. It smells like a very strong vapor rub which makes me feel it might have camphor in it and camphor is a drying agent. It is very thick but goes on easily but has a greasy feel to it. It is also very difficult to get out of the tin. Since I was applying it to a very small area this wasn't a huge problem but if I wanted to use it all over my hands it would have been a hassle. I was also concerned using it, that because it doesn't seem to absorb well into the skin, I might get it onto my clothes or other items and they would end up with grease marks or chemical marks on them.

way to strong a scent- made me feel sick

Comments about Burt's Bees Hand Salve:

I have been using Burt's Bees products for years. I started using the chap stick in middle school after a recommendation from a friend. I use almost all of their products, and I decided to try the hand salve too. I don't really have dry hands, but I would like them to be smoother. The first thing I liked about this product was the tin it came in. It was really cute and durable. When I opened it, the smell was a little overwhelming. It smelled like strong menthol. I didn't like the smell at all. I took a little bit of it out and messaged it on my hands. I rubbed it in for a few minutes, and it never absorbed. It left a greasy feel on my hands, even after a few hours. The smell never went away either. I put it on before bed, so I just left i on and went to bed. When I woke up, my hand were still a little slippery, but they weren't as bad as when I went to bed. I don't know if it actually absorbed or if it rubbed off on my sheets. My hands felt a lot smoother even after one use. The smell wasn't as strong, but it was still there. I still continue to use it before bed, but I would not use it during the day. It does moisturize really well. I will keep using this hand salve.