Other Sunscreens:

Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen SPF 30

Pros

Cons

• Ease of Application:

Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen--It's the Way to Go!

I have been a Burt's Bees product user for many years. I love all natural products and appreciate the products that Burt's Bees has on the market. Their products work and they are also...Read complete review

I have been a Burt's Bees product user for many years. I love all natural products and appreciate the products that Burt's Bees has on the market. Their products work and they are also good for you!

Sunscreen is an important product because it protects your skin from burning and also protects your skin from skin cancers down the road. You can never "bee" too careful with your skin. It is your bodies largest organ and should be treated with respect.

Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen is a product that I am proud to use. I don't spend hours in the sun like I did as a teenager, but I do spend hours outdoors in the spring and summer doing yardwork. This product not only keeps me from getting sunburned, but it doesn't contain harmful chemicals that could hinder the development of cancers in the future.

I also like the fact that Burt's Bees does not test their products on animals. Being an animal lover, this is an important fact for me.

Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen does not have a great scent to it, but it isn't appalling either. You will note a bit of a hemp scent, which is one of the ingredients that also works to keep your skin soft and smooth. It's an all natural ingredient and since it does help keep your skin soft and moisturized, I can overlook the faint hemp scent in exchange for the benefits.

Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen contains a sun protection factor of 15.

Absorption
Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen sinks right into your skin while you apply it. It's a nice medium consistency of a lotion that applies quickly and smoothly.

Longevity
Like most sunscreens, you should reapply after getting out of a swimming pool or after several hours in the sun.

Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen works as well or better than other leading brands of sunscreen but has the advantage of not containing harmful chemicals.

Ease of Application
As I stated earlier, Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen applies easily to your skin with smooth strokes and evenly rubbing it into your skin.

It works but it will stain your clothes.

My sister is into holistic heath, organic food, etc.  She has become very anti-paraben.  Parabens are chemicals commonly found in skin care products that are thought to be carcinogens.  When the extended family packed up and headed down to Cozumel, Mexico in April, she gave each of us a 3.5 fluid ounce tube of *Burt's Bees Chemical-Free SPF 30 Sunscreen*.

I was totally open to trying out her "healthier" sunscreen.  I brought it down to the pool the day that we arrived and slathered myself in it.  It was effective and prevented sunburn which was important because it was spring and my skin hadn't seen the sun since the previous September.  When I asked my husband to apply some *Burt's Bees Chemical-Free SPF 30 Sunscreen* to my back, he warned me that it was bright orange.  I didn't care because I was just wearing my bathing suit and I told him to hurry up and put it on!

The very next day we were headed out on a fishing trip.  I tried to be smart and apply this sunscreen before we boarded the boat and actually got out onto the water.  This orange sunscreen immediately stained the short sleeves of my shirt as I tried to apply it to my arms.  I was annoyed because I hadn't packed extra clothing and had no way to wash my shirt while I was in Mexico.  In a snit, I changed my shirt and then threw my bottle of *Burt's Bees SPF 30 Sunscreen* back into my luggage.  I begged and borrowed SPF from family members who had other brands of sunscreen for the remaining 5 days of the trip.

Now that I'm home again with full access to my wardrobe and a relative's pool, I've started using this sunscreen again.  It is very effective and I don't mind if I get some on my bathing suits because I always throw them in the wash as soon as I get home.  If you are looking for a sunscreen that is paraben-free and you don't have to worry about getting this stuff onto your clothing, I recommend *Burt's Bees SPF 30 Sunscreen.*

I love that it's natural but it just isn't strong enough.

from West Virginia

Comments about Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen SPF 30:

I wanted to really love this sunscreen because it is all natural. I am always seeking new organic and natural products to add to my repertoire but this one just didn't provide enough protection. I love that it is all natural and that it uses natural and organic ingredients to provide a sunscreen that is safe and supposedly effective but in my case, it just wasn't enough protection.

Also, I really don't like the smell of this. I am usually a fan of Burts Bees products but this one just doesn't smell so great. It smells too earthy for me.

I bought this product because it's all natural. When I went to use the product, I got some out into my hand and rubbed it around before applying it to my face. I could tell immediately that I didn't really like the smell. I was hoping the scent would fade because I applied it all over my face and on my nose. The scent did not fade. It was kind of stinky. It also took some work to rub the sunscreen in. I had to use a mirror to make sure I got it rubbed into my face and shoulders finally.

After spending the day outside, I took a shower and noticed that I was burned pretty badly on my face. My nose was blistered and my shoulders had some small blisters popping up on them. I really did want to like this all natural product but the SPF 30 didn't provide enough protection for me against UVA and UVB rays.

I just don't like the scent of this. I think it's too earthy.

Absorption
It took a long time to get it to absorb. I tried using less but it kind of seemed to want to sit on my skin.

Longevity
I ended up burnt. The sunscreen didn't last very long and didn't work very well.

I was disappointed. It didn't dissolve well, it smelled bad, and it left me exposed. My nose, shoulders, and arms were scorched and blistered after an hour an half hike.

Ease of Application
It's hard to apply. It comes out of the tube easy but it doesn't go into skin well. It's disappointing.

My Go-To Block

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen SPF 30:

I am a huge fan of Burt's Bees products. I was thrilled when I found Burt's Bees Chemical-Free Sunscreen. So many sunscreens on the market have all kinds of nasty toxins that get into your bloodstream as they soak in your skin. Burt's Bees is free from parabens, PEGs and phthalates. But the best part is that it really works. I slather it all over my kids, and they have never once gotten a sunburn. It's gentle enough for me to use on my face. The smell is mild and pleasant. This is a minor detail, but I love that the lid is at the bottom so the sunscreen is always ready to pour out without a lot of shaking and squeezing, which seems to always end in a mess!

Pleasant and mild. It doesn't use any paraben-based parfum.

Absorption
A bit thicker than conventional sunscreens, but my skin feels protected.

Longevity
As with any sunscreen, its effectiveness weakens over time with sweat and water, but it lasts.

Never been burned.

Ease of Application
Easy to squeeze out of the bottle without a mess and goes on smoothly

• Ease of Application:

A very unpleasant sunscreen.

Comments about Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen SPF 30:

I will be staying far, far away from this sunscreen from now on after my experience with it. I had tried jumping on the all-natural bandwagon for a while and was trying everything organic and chemical-free, down to my sunblock, so this product from Burt's Bees seemed like the perfect idea. I balked at the price a little bit in the store but went ahead and forked over the extra cash anyway. When I first applied it, I could not believe how unpleasantly thick and pasty it felt. It took forever to rub it into my skin, and I never quite got rid of the ugly white cast that it left behind on my face. it also sort of balled and beaded up on my skin in weird places. The smell was also really weird and sort of gross, very much like a medicine, and it lingered with me all day after application. As far as sun protection, I guess its okay, I certainly did not burn after applying it, but I did have to reapply it pretty often.

Natural Sunscreen Is Always Better

Comments about Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen SPF 30:

Sunscreen can sometimes be just as dangerous as the sun its supposed to be protecting you from with all the chemicals some have in them. Burt's Bees has some pretty great natural products to help with those fears. This sunscreen is pretty good, and covers well enough. It isn't that expensive either compared to brands that have all those chemicals in them.

Not the best scent in the world. They should have made it smelled like the body lotion which is awesome. Being sunscreen though the scent isn't such a big deal.

Absorption
It works well on the skin, but be careful with getting it on clothing, as its possible it could stain.

Longevity
It lasts fairly long, though is the same as pretty much any sunscreen. Add more after a few hours or after being in the water where it can wash some off.

Does its job and you can feel good about using it as well, without needing to worry about harsh chemicals doing just as much damage (potentially).

Ease of Application
As typical as any sunscreen. It can be thicker than other more typical sunscreens, but to me that is no issue.

A solid product

Comments about Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen SPF 30:

I really love the Burt's Bees brand in general for having a lot of natural, chemical-free products. This one is no different and putting something on my skin that isn't chock full of chemicals just makes me feel kind of good. For an all natural product this one does seem to work better than others I've tried out.

This was actually pretty surprising to me, normally Burt's Bees makes products that smell amazing but I didn't care for the scent of this sunscreen.

Absorption
I like the creaminess of this sunscreen, it seems to really help the sunscreen absorb into my skin.

Longevity
I made the mistake of not bringing along extra sunscreen at a day at the bark and ended up getting pretty red. I'd say apply it every two hours at least with mild physical activity or you might be disappointed.

This one works pretty well as a sunscreen, especially considering there aren't any crazy chemicals in there.

• Ease of Application:

A good body protection cream for a sunny day

Comments about Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen SPF 30:

I have been using this sunscreen for a while during the summer and it has always protected me from sun burn. Recently we traveled to Africa for about two weeks and I took some of this cream with me. The first two days I forgot to use it, and I suffered from sun burn. After the second day, I decided to start applying this Burt's Bees Chemical free Sunscreen SPF 30 cream everyday before going out. It helped me so much from having more sun burn. My sister inlaw who did not have any sunscreen with her also benefited from the one I had. Unfortuntely because three of us had to use the same one while we were there, I ran out of the cream about three days before our departure. This wasn't funny because I had to startt wearing long sleeves before going out or minimize the amount of time spent outdoor. I came to realize how important it is to always have this sunscreen with me. It is not very expensive and can be found in most local pharmacies. It is also good for families with kids to apply before playing outdoors during hot summer days.

• Ease of Application:

One of the only sunscreens I use for my face

Comments about Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen SPF 30:

Burt's Bees is a great way to get natural sun protection. It is chemical free! Since it's chemical free though it is not waterproof. After swimming, sweating etc. reapply or you will get sunburned. I wouldn't recommend this for the whole body. It doesn't offer enough protection and you're more likely to get sunburned. It's more of a daily face and hands sunscreen. My mom has sun spots and I've been using sunscreen on my face before applying my makeup to reduce the risk of getting sun spots. I reapply throughout the day when needed. It's quite sticky so I rub it in my hands and then pat it onto my face so it doesn't leave any sticky residue. It has an odd scent but nothing too bad. It's a thick sunscreen so rub into skin for better absorption.

The scent sort of reminds me of play-doe.

Longevity
It's spf 30 so reapply after 30 minutes or as desired.

• Ease of Application:

Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen--It's the Way to Go!

from Greenwell Springs, LA

Comments about Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen SPF 30:

Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen contains a sun protection factor of 15.

• Ease of Application:

Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen is great.

from Maryville, TN

Comments about Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen SPF 30:

i have been a fan of Burt's Bees since it's beginning in 1984, and i use a variety of their products. i couldn't believe that i had never tried this Chemical Free Sunscreen, so i bought a tube. first, i love the scent. so much better than the others that are on the market, where you can smell the chemicals and artificial ingredients. it smooths in like any good lotion, and leaves no sticky residue. i follow the directions and reapply every couple of hours when i'm in the sun, which is what you're supposed to do with any sunscreen. i am incredibly fair skinned, and if i reapply it every couple of hours, even in direct sun i won't get burned if i keep the timing under thirty minutes. however, i have found that if i'm in the sun longer than that, even with reapplication, i can get burned. since i spend very little time in direct sun because of my fair skin, this works fine for me. people that are sun worshipers may not find the success with it that i have.

no chemical smell, so no sensitivity if you can't do chemicals.

Absorption
leaves my skin feeling moisturized, not sticky.

Longevity
reapply as directed, and you will get the most out of it.

for a natural product it works well. if you're used to the blocking of chemical sunscreens, you're success with this will be varied.

Ease of Application
squirt it out, spread it on. done!

• Ease of Application:

I got very burnt with this...kids less so thankfully.

from Minneapolis, MN

Comments about Burt's Bees Chemical Free Sunscreen SPF 30:

We used this when the family was going to an air show on a very sunny and hot day. My children all got slightly burned, but not enough to be painful. I am assuming I really slathered it on them and didn't put quite as much on me since my shoulders and neck got so burnt that it still was slightly tender a week later. After peeling, I have a nice tan though. Although, I enjoy being the look of having a bit of color, I know that sunscreens are supposed to protect you from this also...

Loved the smell of this.

Absorption
Not bad. Slightly white look to the skin, but for the most part it rubbed in fine.

Mainly on me. But, once again, I may not have put as much on myself as I did on my children since they didn't get nearly as burnt.