Other Sewing Machines:

Brother Computerized Sewing Machine

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

An incredible amount of fun

from Moss Point, MS

Verified Reviewer

Pros

• Easy To Use
  • Versatile

Cons

• Home
    • Sewing Projects

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

I wasn't sure I was interested enough in machine embroidery to justify spending a lot of money, and this was the least expensive machine on the market. Sure, it is somewhat restricted in its capabilities, as it will only handle 4x4" designs. But...it's a LOT of fun, and can be used to embellish a lot of things from quilt blocks to clothing. I've had a lot of fun with it, and within the first month, I got more than my money's worth of fun out of it. Just be aware that buying the supplies is not cheap, especially when you are first starting out and have to buy everything from thread to the designs. (Don't forget stabilizers too.) Great machine to play with machine embroidery without investing a lot into it though!

• Was this a gift?:

Great Little Machine

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

Great machine for someone who is learning to sew and embroider. Limited in embroidery sizes and really too small for quilting, but is a great machine for the price.

Excellent machine for a beginner or someone to use as a backup machine in a pinch. You can use right out of the box and the diagrams on the machine make it so easy, you don't need the manual to get started.

Little workhorse and hard to kill. Will do just about anything its asked to. Can't beat it for the price.

• Versatility:

An absolutely fantastic sewing machine!

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

This is an absolutely awesome and fantastic sewing machine. I use it to patch ripped jeans and holes in jackets, dresses, and tee-shirts (my son skateboards so he is always coming home with ripped clothing). Investing in this sewing machine not only allowed me to save money on buying new clothing for my son, but it also allowed me to save time. Instead of sewing by hand, I can use this sewing machine to efficiently and more controllably sew clothing.

Stitch Performance
    The stitch performance is excellent, although it is a bit too rapid for my personal liking. I typically am sewing shut smaller holes, so the rapid sewing rate sort of makes me lose my precision just a tad bit. Still, for making clothes from scratch, as I do occasionally, then it is very efficient and nice!

This machine is quite easy to use and delivers good control.

Versatility
    This sewing machine can be used to do all kinds of work, from sewing small holes to making dresses from scratch.

It is very nice and ergonomic.

• Versatility:

Great machine at a great price!

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

The Brother Computerized Sewing Machine SE400 is a great machine at a great price point. The computer connectivity alone makes this a great upgrade over the previous model.

My former sewing machine was a Singer machine, that my mom used when she was a teenager. She actually made a living with that machine when we were young. Needless to say, it didn't have anything computerized. It worked, and worked great.

With this machine, I'm learning so much. It is really like learning to sew all over again!

The instructions on this unit are so clear and complete. I was a bit intimidated by the machine when I first brought it home, but after reading the manual, and playing with it a bit, it was old hat.

Fabric Handling
    I sew mostly things for my house, and not clothing. The fabrics I use are a bit heavier than clothing. I have had no problems with any of the heavy materials I've used.

This great little unit is lightweight and with the handle on top, it is very portable.

Brilliant machine

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

I was given this Brother Computerised Sewing Machine for Christmas from one of my family members - and I can proudly say this is one of my favourite gifts of all time. It's of excellent quality and was definitely a good buy for someone like me... I was terrible at sewing, but this has helped me VERY much!

Stitch Performance
    This was given to me Christmas 2012, and in January I had to fix up my son's school pants. Let's just say the stitch looks just as if it had been stitched only a week ago. It's very, very good. All of my stitching has been superb: I'm surprising myself!

This is a very simple machine to learn to use. I read the manual twice, and I was ready. No further help needed, no need to contact assistance from my mother - nothing! I was very happy to sew things, because I felt proud of my result at the end.

Versatility
    I used this to sew my little tyke's Halloween costume together, to sew my son's school pants which needed a little touching up, to doing some work on my dresses - very versatile, I'd say.

It's no Picasso. It's not like it's an important feature of the machine, but it looks fine in my cupboard. Adds a little touch!

Well worth the money

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

Nice machine with probably more capabilities than I need. I am a casual sewer, and I got it mostly to tailor ready-to-wear clothes on my body. More than adequate for that job. It surprised me when it managed to sew through neoprene with ease (going of course slowly). It's tension can be a bit tricky, at least to me though - missing the "auto" setting of my old Singer... But overall I am very happy with the purchase. So far I have altered jeans, formal trousers, t-shirts, jackets with ease, and have used it for new projects with plain cotton, flannel, upholstery, light wool and neoprene (!!!) The only trouble would be with tension in the lighter / elastic fabrics, but it may be me, not the machine. Looking forward to try out the embroidery in my next project :-)

Fabric Handling
    It is a little tricky with finer fabrics - or it may be my inexperience.

I absolutely love how easy it is to access the bobbin mechanism for cleaning.

I have had it for only a year now, so I cannot speak that much to it, but no major problems so far, other than the occasional / inevitable cleaning needs!

First Embroidery Machine

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

This was my first embroidery machine,I had heard great things about brother products so I ordered this one. The 4x4 hoop machine is a great STARTER machine if you want to see if you are going to keep embroidery as a hobby or give it up and move on.

I can't rate the sewing side since I have a seperate sewing machine and never sewed on it. I only used the embroidery unit.

Very user friendly and great for the starter machine or a low budget.

Stitch Performance
    Embroidery unit stitches nicely. I can't rate the sewing machine side since I never used it.

No problems at all figuring out how to get started.

Fabric Handling
    handles jeans,shirts,minky and more to embroidery.

Versatility
    I can't really rate the sewing side since I never used it,but if you want you an take the embroidery unit off and change the embroidery foot out for a sewing foot and use it.

Small and Compact

I only had it 6 months before outgrowing it,but it was still running great when I sold it.

• Versatility:

I love this sewing machine!

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

I rated the Brother Computerized Sewing machine SE 400 a ten because it makes everything so much easier. I got this one for my birthday from my kids and husband. It's a big step up from my older brother sewing machine. It comes with a operational cd that shows you all the basic things this sewing machine can do, So it's very easy to figure out. It has a automatic thread cutter, so you don't have to have scissors. It's so quiet, I can now sew well my kids are sleeping. It comes with a USB cord to hook up to your computer. The only thing is it was hard to thread the bobbin. It also tells you when the bobbin is getting low. There is so much great things about this sewing machine, I can't even list them all. I love that you can do embroidery with this machine to.

Stitch Performance
    The stitch performance is awesome, I will never buy another machine again.

It is very easy to use if you watch the cd that came in the box.its great for beginning sewers.

Love my Machine!

from Omaha, NE

Great Machine!

This was my first embroidery machine - and easy to use! Switching from sewing to embroidery is fast and not complicated at all.

Versatility
    Just wish it had come with larger hoops.

I take my machine back and forth to my sons house quite often. It is easy to transport and has not had any issues with the constant jostling.

love it so far

Comments about Brother Computerized Sewing Machine:

I've had it about 1 month now and haven't embroidered many items but what I have done has been beautiful. I made my own files using SewArt 64 and they came out really nice. I can't wait to try more patterns I'm waiting right now for a shipment of a 32 spool set of embroidery thread so I can really test it. I like how it tells me the bobbin has run out and the automatic thread cutting.

Its still fairly new to me so I still refer to the manual frequently.

Havent had it long enough