2.8

2.8

Pros

Cons

Benjamin Moore Aura - Covers well, goes on smoothly

I moved into a house with really dark colors on most of the walls.  A really rich red, and really dark purple - about the color of a plum.  I could see these colors working as an accent, but when 80% of the walls are these colors, it is just too dark.  My brother-in-law painted a small bathroom for us before we moved in, using a Behr paint and needed 5 coats to cover the previous color.  I hired a painter to paint a couple of bedrooms and after two coats, you can still see the previous color peeking through.

After a recommendation from a friend, I went to the Benjamin Moore store.  The personnel steered me to the Aura brand.  I balked at the price, but they assured me it would work without a primer layer or anything else needing to be applied.  If I were a better painter, it would have covered up the plum with a sand color in ONE COAT (there were a few brush marks that let the darker color show through after my first coat).  After two coats you couldn't see anything of the previous color.

The paint went on easily, there was very little odor and the colors are beautiful.  I was able finish the rest of the house by myself, using one coat in most places.  Although the paint cost more per gallon, I am convinced that I was able to use less paint, and so saved money in the long run, not to mention saving a ton of time.  This is the paint I will use from now on.

Paint showed all of the flaws in my drywall

I tried this paint when the builder recommended it for my new home. I was inquiring about the best paint to use on new drywall and wanted something that would cover well and not leave streaks and drip marks.
I bought this paint for my master bedroom. It was the first room that we were painting and I wanted one accent wall. This paint went on very well, and also was thick enough to not cause drip marks or streaks. It was easy to get a nice edge where the two colored walls met. I only needed one coat since it the colors we chose were darker.
I noticed when the paint dried the imperfections of the drywall stuck out terribly. It made my walls look terrible. I know that walls are never perfect, however this paint seemed to make the imperfections pop out. I had to repaint the walls since they looked so bad.

Coverage
The coverage went on well, however when the paint dried, it left my walls looking terrible.

NeVeR recommend

from Arkansas

About Me Professional

Pros

Cons

• Color Fades
    • Paint Sags

• None

Comments about Benjamim Moore Aura Paint:

Completely unacceptable. Should pull this off the shelf. Paint starts to sag before you can finish the wall. Tried on multiple different walls and textures. Come back next day and has 3/4" sags on the whole wall. Top and bottom drips were about 2" long had to scrape it all out. Never seen anything like it and wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

Not happy with it.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Benjamim Moore Aura Paint:

My daughter wanted her room painted a weird shade of red that they only made with this Auro paint from Benjamin Moore. I was not too sure about it but got it for her because she begged and really wanted it. We primed the wall like normal and once it dried we got out the paint. We were happy with how the color looked in the can, it was a vibrant and beautiful red that we were hopeful that it would look just as good on the wall. We painted the wall and let it dry and noticed we definitely needed at least one more coat on it. We added a second and even a third coat of this paint and when it finally all dried I have to say we were so disappointed. The color on the wall is so much darker than it should be and it has black little speckles in it is the best way I can describe them. The color looked nothing like the sample card and we had to end up using multiple coats of primer and white just to cover it up. The quality of the paint just was not there and the color was nothing like it was supposed to be, highly disappointed in this.

Paint showed all of the flaws in my drywall

from Wesley Chapel, FL

• Ease of Appliation:

Goes on smoothly with very few coats needed.

from Winchendon, MA

Comments about Benjamim Moore Aura Paint:

When we started researching paints for the addition on our house one of my main concerns was fumes. One of the rooms we were going to be painting was a child's bedroom and I wanted something with low VOCs. My mother in law recommended Benjamin Moore Aura. She had just painted her living room and told me it had very little odor. I loved the range of colors it came in (Buckland Blue is part of their Colonial colors line and beautiful) and when I got it home I was pleasantly surprised at how little fumes it did have. We were painting inside in the early spring and not able to have windows open but neither my husband or I could smell it at all! Also it went on very very smoothly and the coverage was fantastic. We were painting directly on fresh drywall that only had one coat of a watered down primer on it but the coverage was still great! It covered so well that we only needed two coats and actually had a whole gallon of paint leftover!

As far as I'm concerned it only has one downfall and that is the price. Its definitely one of the most expensive paints out there but I do feel this is balanced out by the fact that we had to use much less than expected. I would definitely use it again.

• Ease of Appliation:

Veryt poor quality and performance.

Comments about Benjamim Moore Aura Paint:

Very poor performance and quality even after allowing additional dry time.

Quality
    Does not hold up to claims even if you follow the instruction. Used porch and patio paint and can said you can park your car on it after one week dry time, walk on it in one day. After one week of drying time paint scuffed right off of the steps from flip-flops!

Paint is failing to adhere even with no foot traffic, and dry weather for a full week.

Coverage
    Thin, translucent and poor coverage. Expect to have to do multiple coats.

Ease of Appliation
    As long as you understand you will need multiple coats.

• Ease of Appliation:

Great paint but read the instructions before you apply

Comments about Benjamim Moore Aura Paint:

My house was painted with a flat, one-size fits all, contractor cheap egg shell paint. I have animals and need to scrub my walls often so I needed a very durable paint . I used the colors white, 1655, and 1653 in satin. The paint application felt just like any other paint. It was smooth but a bit thicker than I was used to. I started in my hallway with the ceiling, then I did the trim since they were the same color. As it dries it looks incredible strange and you think you are going to have large streaks, but low and behold and hour later it was absolutely beautiful. I only had to paint one coat which was a first time this has ever happened. I did find that if the paint set out too long it did become very heavy and thick to use, so it is important to only pour small amounts at a time. When I painted the 1653 on the walls again it rolled nicely but looks weird as it dries. I had to go back and do a few touch ups but that is because my house is so old that the texture on the walls is incredible deep.

We also used a paint sprayer in the living room/dining room area. Again it went on very nice and we did not thin paint according to the instructions. My son was worried that he didn't do the application correctly and he was going to have to spray again, but we waited and it looked wonderful. He did take a roller and rolled paint in different places once the original coat applied was dried just to be certain of the coverage. To our amazement once again, we only needed to do one coat.

Clean up was easy and simple.

I loved this paint and it was worth every penny but you have to following the instructions for the best out come. Prep, tape, do your cut in work first, paint/roll/spray, do not do any touch ups until the original coat is dry. Remember to use small amounts of paint so it doesn't become thick as it comes in contact with the air.

• Ease of Appliation:

very poor adherence and requires multiple coats

Comments about Benjamim Moore Aura Paint:

The most serious problem with this product is the lack of adhesion to the wall. After extreme care was taken in surface preparation, we found that after multiple tries the product consistently fails to adhere well. Not only did tape (the special type for delicate surfaces) cause the paint to peel off in sheets, but also just minor contact with the walls will cause the paint to easily rub off. We had the same problem with their "Bath and Spa", and "waterborne interior" paints.
    As for their promise of one-coat coverage, even the sales people in the store told us that wasn't true. We would not have minded that aspect so much (after 3 coats) though if the paint would have stayed on the wall (or trim).
    We have taken the paint off of our approved list and would never recommend it to anyone.

No primer needed! And no odor!

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Benjamim Moore Aura Paint:

I am very new to the do-it-yourself world. My project was painting the walls of my bedroom; taking it from a darker color to a lighter color. I had a great experience with Benjamin Moore's Aura line of paints for the following reasons:

- **Absolutely no odor-** This helped me paint for a longer period of time as I didn't get a paint-induced headache. Moreover, I could pretty much sleep in the room that very night if I wanted to as there was no lingering smell. I used a regular paint in my living room and I had to wait 4 days for the smell to go away.

- **No primer needed-** The paint goes over very thick, so there is no need to primer the area. I did require two thorough coats as I was painting a lighter color on top of a darker color.

- **A****vailable is a wide range of colors**!

- **Great for the environment!**

The only issue I had with this product was that you need more paint for the same area as compared to the primer+paint option as the paint is so thick that it spread only a smaller surface area. Other than that, I thought this was a **great value for money as I saved a ton of time **(from waiting for firstly, waiting for primer to dry and then waiting for the paint to dry between coats and then dealing with the headaches)!

Overall, I highly recommend this product to novice do-it-yourselfers who have to take-on a quick paint job!

Do not buy this paint!

Comments about Benjamim Moore Aura Paint:

Benjamin Moore Aura exterior does not spread or cover. It is stupidily overpriced. Worst paint I've ever worked with to date. It takes at least 2 coats of white paint to cover white primer. It takes a 3rd to look good. WTF? I spent a lot of time doing prep work for my project. Another brand of paint would have looked just as good; if not better, for half the price and time. DO NOT BUY THIS PAINT!

Benjamin Moore Aura - Covers well, goes on smoothly