4.8
Kilz
Kilz Original Oil-Based Primer

Kilz Original Oil-Based Primer

4.8

Pros

• Long lasting (3)

• Ease of Appliation:

Kilz, one coat, excellent coverage!

We've used ***Kilz ***before, for a bathroom issue in our previous home. We were getting ready to re-do our daughter's room, figured we would prime before painting. Seeing how we hadn't painted in a number of years. The salesperson also said it was a good idea for the length of time between painting, that we do so.

We taped, got everything ready to prime with the ***Kilz Primer***. Having had a issue with a water mark before having our roof redone, felt it was even a better choice to do this. The water spot covered very well with one coat. I couldn't be happier. We've always used this brand before with jobs like this whether it was a stain from the kids when they were little that wouldn't come off, to a water mark such as this kind of issue. With the roof having been redone a few years back, we just didn't seem to find the time to paint. With the bedroom Make-Over the time was found, and it really does make you feel good about the choices that were made.

***Kilz Primer*** covered a water mark that had been there for some time. I don't recommend waiting as long as we did to cover the unsightly mark. Kilz did the job, and will use this product over again when need be.

Still have those 6 other jobs to finish around here. And from taking wallpaper down in the bathroom I'm sure we will be using ***Kilz Primer*** there also. Then on to the next bathroom, and Kitchen. Man how I hate to take wallpaper off, remind me to never put the stuff up. As we haven't, but previous owners did. I'm sure the*** Kilz Primer*** will do the covereage that is needed.

Use with Caution!

When we remodeled our home we used our fair share of Kiltz. While you do need a primer most times for major jobs, I hope I never have to look at another can of Kiltz as long as I live. The smell is so horrible that it made my head throb and altered my sense of smell for days. Something that is so strong in odor and affect should be used with extreme caution. I can remember once that I was using it in a small area that didn’t have good ventilation and I started feeling light headed and sick. Of course that comes with the territory when chemicals and paints are being used. That being said, it did what we needed to do, prime the walls. But it took at least two coats of the Kiltz to help the walls for the job we needed done. Don’t let anything that says one coat fool you. If it is a dark color you are trying to cover, you will need more than one coat of Kiltz. If you plan to use Kiltz, take my advice and get some really good high quality masks to wear while using it or you will soon be sick. Also wear gloves because this stuff will not be coming off your skin for a long time. (Or your carpet for that matter so also buy plastic to put down.)

Strong Odor

from Cassatt, SC

About Me Casual Do-It-Yourselfer

Pros

• Long Lasting

Cons

• Strong Odor

• Interior Painting

Comments about Kilz Original Oil-Based Primer:

It provides great coverage, but it doesn't last that long. The odor is super strong and I wasn't fond of the way it looked after it dried.

I want to pay again

from Ly

Pros

• Great Color
  • It's great paint ever the color great and it's m

Comments about Kilz Original Oil-Based Primer:

I painting my bicycle and it's shine colors

Totally need to buy for every paint job.

from ferndale, washington

About Me Avid Do-It-Yourselfer

Pros

• Adds Protection
      • Coats Well
      • Long Lasting
      • Low Odor

• Interior Painting
        • New Home
        • Remodels

Comments about Kilz Original Oil-Based Primer:

Every time I do anyone's paint job I make sure that they use this primer first. It is a tad more expensive than other primers but it is worth it for the quality provided. This primer blocks termites, eliminates mold, and prevents mold from forming. It completely blocks moisture from seeping beyond the paint and into the walls which is how mold is caused. Sometimes you can't even tell or smell if you already have mold in your walls without hiring a professional to come check and see if you have mold and if it is dangerous mold like black mold or not. This kilz primer kills all types of mold that can be harmful to you and your family like black and red mold. This primer is actually the only one that is proven to kill deadly red mold, and comes highly recommended from every contractor and professional how knows anything about mold and this product. It is worth the extra few dollars to ensure you and your families health and well being. I can not express the need for this primer in every paint job you do more than I already have. I have used this myself every single time I have done any paint job and have never had any complaints or experience with it not blocking mold and killing mold even years later. This product is also sold as a sealant, paint, and spray paint. I recommend all of those products as well and any other product including this one that kilz has ever made. When painting kilz is a total necessity.

Great product!

from Central Jersey

About Me Avid Do-It-Yourselfer

Pros

• Adds Protection
        • Coats Well
        • Long Lasting

• New Home

Comments about Kilz Original Oil-Based Primer:

I have used the Kilz Original Oil Based Primer for years now. When we first bought our home over eight years ago, the place had its flaws and had not been very well-kept from the previous owners. Every room was stained with nicotine and smelled of nicotine as well. We used this paint everywhere. It covered the stains flawlessly and went on easily as well. In the last eight years since we've been here the only room that has shown wear is the bathroom. I am assuming that it's because our fan does not work very well and still allows moisture into the ceiling. otherwise, this product's been great. You cannot see any of the stains, the ceilings came out perfectly white, and the odor was gone right away and has not yet returned. The only problem I have with this Kilz Oil Based primer paint, is the odor. It is a thousand times worse than your average paint smell. You definitely need to wear a mask and have a well ventilated area when using this product. It is very harmful when you breathe it in. They do however now make a new option of the Kilz primer. It has virtually no odor whatsoever. I have used that one more recently and it works just as well without the horrendous smell. I consider myself an avid painter, as I always like to replace an update the colors in the house. This one goes on nice and smooth and is very easy to work with and apply. However since it's oil-based, I just throw away the brushes when I am finished because it is too much of a pain to clean them.

A must have for humid areas!

from Florida

Comments about Kilz Original Oil-Based Primer:

I have worked done tons of painting over the last several years both in rental properties, at work, as well as at home. Killz has saved me time and time again. It is a must have for covering not only darker colors to start over with a white wall or for recovering with a lighter color. I have also purchased it and used it for covering the stains after treating walls for mold. It not only covers the unpleasent stain but it keeps the mold from returning.

I live in Florida, which is famously a humid climate. And humidity comes with a lot of potential problems such as mold, luckily I have used Killz when such problems have presented themselves and it has worked wonders every time.

I have also purchased Killz to freshen up rentals where there have been tenants that smoked inside, it not only covers the dingy yellow wall stains, but it defeats the smell that tends to linger and cling to the walls.

I love love love Killz, and will continue to use it and tell my friends and Family about it.

• Ease of Appliation:

I don't do a painting project without it!

from Eastlake, OH

Comments about Kilz Original Oil-Based Primer:

I used to be of the school of thought that you didn't need a primer. However this past year we decided to repaint the interior of our house. We wanted to add for to our rather drab house. My husband, a union painter, insisted that we use a primer to cut down on how many coats we had to do. I was so glad I actually listened to him this time. Most rooms only needed one coat of colored paint. The primer helped the paint adhere to the wall without saturating in. I noticed that there were less streaks as the primer created a smooth surface to paint on. For the cost of less than a gallon of paint I actually saved money having to use less of the more expensive colored paint.

Quality
          This spread on nicely. Didn't peel or streak. I was able to paint over it within two hours.

Went on without bubbling or streaking.

Coverage
          Great formula. Adhered to the walls very evenly. It didn't lift up when I painted over it.

Ease of Appliation
          I easy put it on with a roller.

Best primer ever!

Comments about Kilz Original Oil-Based Primer:

I love this primer for so many reasons, one of which is the fact that every time I move out of an apartment my lease requires me to repaint the apartment, and I am happy to oblige. When I move into a new place or am moving from a place I always use this primer on the walls because it kills mold, mildew, termites, and all kinds of nasty creepy crawlies that can live in the walls and fungus that can grow in old paint layers that can be harmful or fatal. When I first turned eighteen I rented my own apartment, my first one and the manager had it freshly painted and cleaned (or so I thought) and after about a month or so, mold started to come through the paint in every corner, all around the window and the rugs! It was disgusting and I scrubbed it with bleach and it kept coming back. I didn't know what to do so I called my mom and she suggested this primer, it is a bit pricey but definitely worth it! So I went to my local hardware store and bought this primer and new purple paint to go over the top. After I painted with the combination, I lived there for two additional years and never had another problem, and never needed to paint it again!

Great primer

Comments about Kilz Original Oil-Based Primer:

I am picky when it comes to primer, but I grabbed this one when the primer that I usually buy was out. I was nervous about buying this primer, but the sales man insured me that it was good and worked great. He was right, because I really like the primer, it worked nicely. With my usual primer I had to apply it two or three times before beginning to paint, but I found that with this one that is unnecessary because when I applied it once and really got the job done, and done correctly. Not to mention nicely. My favorite part of this primer is that the smell did not bother me, and usually the smell of primers and paint make me a little sick.

Quality
          The quality of this primer is great. As I already said I only had to apply this particular primer once whereas with others I had to do so two or three time. The best part is because you only need to apply it once, you can complete more painting projects.

Excellent Coverage

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Kilz Original Oil-Based Primer:

I inherited some very unfortunate golden yellow paint in my kitchen and realized that just painting over it was not going to work. I needed a primer. The rep at the paint store recommended Kilz primer, saying that while it was stinky it did work. So I decided to give it a try.

The dark golden yellow in my kitchen needed only a single coat of the primer to completely wipe out every trace of its former existence. It covered evenly and thoroughly and there was no need for a second coat.

Applying it was as easy as applying regular paint. I just rolled it on as I would any other paint.

What I didn't like was the smell. I should say stink. It is very strong smelling. I had the fan on in my kitchen the entire day and it wasn't powerful enough so I set up a fan in front of the kitchen door to blow the air and smell out. That worked reasonably well. The smell did linger for a few days and I ran both the kitchen fan and bathroom fan continuously to get the lingering smell out.

So, definitely do not use this during the winter. You have to have all the windows open and multiple fans going.

• Ease of Appliation:

An awesome and effective primer for all your painting needs.

Comments about Kilz Original Oil-Based Primer:

This is an excellent primer. I have used this primer for painting the walls in my house to painting components on my bicycle. Prior to using this primer, I used ones that just did not work too well - the paint simply did not stick onto it and eventually flaked off. This primer, however, seizes the paint and really lets the paint stick to it. I recommend this product for all your painting projects - large or small, even diminutive.

Quality
          This primer is great. It works very, very fantastically. I love it!

It is great. Paint sticks right onto it.

Coverage
          One can, if I remember correctly, was enough to cover the walls and ceilings of 2 average sized rooms. However, please do not just take my word for it. Go check with your local department store :)

Ease of Appliation
          It is easy to use. Just use a roller to apply this stuff onto walls. For smaller objects, just use a brush. Basically, you just want to apply a nice and not-too-thin and not-too-thick layer.