Other Paints:
Benjamin Moore

• Reviewer Profile:
    • Avid do-it-yourselfer (3)

The best paint out there

We used to buy whatever paint at the local big box home improvement store. My mother in law does historic home restoration and she suggested a color that was a Ben Moore color.  That was two years ago and we no longer buy anythign but Ben Moore.

The colors are true!  They have a wide variety of colors that look great on walls and furniture.  Unlike some of those big box stores that should allow people to paint rooms bright orange. I especially love the Historic Colors collection.  Everything we've used from that collection has looked great in our craftsman bungalow!

The paint has great coverage.  Now, you still need to load your brush and paint properly and we try to always put on a coat of primer.  But you can do one to two coats or paint rather that three plus many, many touch-ups.

I don't find that it smells any better or worse than other brands of paint and it is more expensive per gallon,

Never buy exterior Aura

I hired a pro who recommended Aura. He followed BM recommendation re no need for primer and coverage in one coat over same color and other BM paint. In less than a year began to peel. BM rep said we should have used primer so no problem with BM paint. I requested he send chip to lab so we would know why it did not bond. Still no response. This is a high priced paint and the painter did prep the house. The house is stucco over block with concrete roof overhang. Now I am told I need to have wet sand blasted and new coat of stucco prior to painting with primer and two coats of paint. Guess what paint i will not be using.

Worst paint on the market

from Toronto,ont

Pros

Cons

• Terrible cover needed 5 coats to get it even
    • Uneven Coat

Comments about Benjamin Moore Paint:

Tried this product in three different rooms all needed 5 coats even used a matching primer. It cost a fortune with lossy results

Never buy exterior Aura

from Key Largo, Florida

About Me Casual Do-It-Yourselfer

Pros

Cons

• High Price
        • Literature says does not need primer but rep say
        • Peels in less than year

Great paint

from Bluffton South Carolina

About Me Avid Do-It-Yourselfer

Pros

• Adds Protection
          • Coats Well
          • Great Color
          • Great one coat coverage
          • Low Odor

Cons

• Color Fades

• Interior Painting
          • Redecorating

Comments about Benjamin Moore Paint:

Before using Ben Moore regal select I used valspar reserve it was horrible the Ben Moore Regal Select better coverage, ease of use,smooth application it's great, love it will never drift away from Ben Moore

Best paint and no one can compare

from Stoneville, NC

About Me Avid Do-It-Yourselfer

Pros

• Adds Protection
          • Coats Well
          • Great Color
          • Long Lasting
          • Low Odor
          • Painted 23 Yrs Ago

Cons

• None

• Adding Personality
          • Detailed Areas
          • Exterior Painting
          • Interior Painting
          • Redecorating
          • Remodels
          • Touch-ups

Comments about Benjamin Moore Paint:

I have two rooms that were painted over 25 years ago and the paint has washed and cleaned beautifully. These walls still looks good. I've changed the trim because of color choice. Colors are true and they stay the same for years.

Best paint I have ever used!

from Davie, FL

Comments about Benjamin Moore Paint:

I have been using Benjamin Moore Paint for years now. It is top-notch quality, and I have been recommending it to my friends and family for years. The paint goes on so smoothly and evenly. I also really love Benjamin Moore's color selection. I can always find the perfect color for any room I am looking to paint. Another aspect I like about this paint is that it actually does not have a horribly strong chemical smell like most paints out there.

Quality
          Benjamin Moore paint is the best paint I have ever used. I have tried countless amounts of different brands of paint, and none of them even can compare to this one.

The paint really lasts for a while and does not chip at all.

Coverage
          All I need to do is put two coats of paint on the walls and it provides such great coverage.

Ease of Appliation
          This paint is honestly the easiest paint I have ever used. The colors are so vibrant, and the paint always goes on so nicely.

The paint is average

Comments about Benjamin Moore Paint:

Benjamin Moore paint is supposed to be the best paint around- well- it is good paint. It is easy to use, looks great on your finished DIY project and comes in beautiful colors. However, there are many other paints that work just as well for less money. I was disappointed in the amount of money I spent- when I could have purchased a less expensive product with the same results. I still needed at least three coats to cover my walls completely, and each coat just make this product even more expensive.

Quality
          An average quality paint, I used a paint WITH a primer and still needed to apply three coats to my walls. I was expecting a little more from the paint.

My color has held up well to my kids and the paint cleans up easily with mild soap and water.

Coverage
          I was the most frustrated with the coverage of this paint. Not what I expected, we are experienced DIYers and we had to use a ton of paint to get the proper coverage with this paint.

Ease of Appliation
          Very easy to use, goes on wall easily.

Benjamin Moore paint

from Canton, OH

Comments about Benjamin Moore Paint:

Benjamin Moore paint is the absolute best paint for do it yourself home decorators. It is a very high quality paint. It makes painting so easy. There's no need to do multiple coats. It makes redecorating a room a joy. The consistency of the paint is good. It isn't so runny that it makes a mess. But isn't so thick that it's difficult to spread.

Quality
          This is the best quality paint on the market in my opinion.

This paint is very durable. It is not only washable, but can be scrubbed. It holds up very well in high traffic areas. It can handle many finger prints and bumps without damaging the paint.

Coverage
          This paint covers beautifully. I have even gotten away with one coat in certain situations. Although I always prefer 2 coats to get the most beautiful finish.

Ease of Appliation
          The application of this paint is wonderful. It goes on in a single stroke and doesn't lift off if you go back over the same area. Application is just as easy whether you're using a roller or a brush.

from Saint Petersburg Fl

Comments about Benjamin Moore Paint:

I recently did some exterior and interior painting at my job and I did get Benjamin Moore paint as I got a special deal on it. I must say I was very satisfied with the quality. I went from light to dark and used two coats. Usually I need to do three with most average paints. It rolls on very smooth and no skips or holiday's with the roller or brush. I noticed on the cutting in the trim, I got a very nice edge.

Quality
          I've done a lot of painting over the years and this paint is in the top 10 in my opinion.

Considering the brand name and the quality of the paint, I have no doubt it will be as durable as a brand like Behr, Valpar or Sherwin Williams. I've talked to painters that use Benjamin Moore quite a bit and like it.

Coverage
          I did two coats as I always do with back rolling. Whether you use a roller or a brush, it covers very well.

Ease of Appliation
          Paint is paint and can be messy when you apply it. It's very easy to apply. It's a consistent thick high quality paint and goes on a roller or brush very nicely.

Great for Projects

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Benjamin Moore Paint:

I am a photographer working from home and constantly looking for things I can re-purpose into great photography props. This task usually includes painting the items a different color. I purchased a couple different colors of Benjamin Moore paint and used them for various projects. The first one was an old wooden chair that I sanded down and painted red. Another was an old end table that I re-purposed into a newborn bed and painted white. I was very pleased with these paints. I applied two coats to each project. They both dried in a very reasonable amount of time allowing me to complete each in just one day. So far I have not noticed any wearing of the paint from regular session use and the color is true and vibrant. I will definitely be using this brand for more future projects. I also like that this brand is offered in more than one can size so I can buy just the amount I need.

• Ease of Appliation:

A decent paint for a tight budget

from Toledo, OH

Comments about Benjamin Moore Paint:

This Benjamin Moore Paint is okay. The coverage was not as good as I would have liked to see as I had to give everything two coats to make sure the old color didn't show through. However this paint is very budget friendly. For the price of this paint, the quality is good. Even having to use two coats it was still a money saving buy. The colors were very true to what the samples showed which was nice. After the paint dried, it had a nice finish and is very easy to keep clean as it is washable. The clean up after painting was also a breeze because I didn't have to use any harsh chemicals to clean my brushes, rollers, or trays. This paint does seem to be available at a limited number of stores as I went to several stores before I could find it. It comes in alot of very nice pre-mixed colors also. Although I had to put on two coats, the paint did go on easily showing a minimal amount of brush or roller marks.