Other Sunscreens:

Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen SPF 30

Pros

Cons

Don't get burned! Protect your skin with Banana Boat

I live in a sunny climate where the sun shines 300 days a year on average. While that's great in many ways, it also means that my skin is exposed to a lot of harsh sun rays that can cause health problems.  One way I try to limit the amount of sun damage to my skin is by using **Banana Boat Sport Sun Screen** on a regular basis when outdoors.

**Banana Boat** sells a wide array of sunscreens at many SPF levels and formulations. This sunscreen is a lotion that is sold in a flexible plastic bottle with a flip-open top. The Sport sunscreen features a resistance to sweat - it won't run and totally lose effectiveness off when your skin gets moist. The manufacturer boasts about the following features of this product:

- Water and sweat resistant

- Non-Greasy

- Hypoallergenic

- Fragrance free

- SPF 15 or 30

**Banana Boat Sport** sunscreen is designed to block both UVA and UV sun rays. The lotion itself is fairly thick and takes a little effort to rub in.  I use this most heavily on my arms, hands, nose, ears, neck, and parts of my face.  I most often use SPF 30 and in my experience it does prevent sunburn and helps protect my skin.

It's important to apply sunscreen up to 30 minutes before going outdoors, so it has a chance to form a barrier on your skin. I'm not always good about doing this so sometimes gets a little sunburn anyway. But if you apply it generously and early enough before venturing out into the sun, it will help.

I have not had any problems with irritation or allergic reactions to **Banana Boat sunscreen** **lotion**. Also, I agree with the claims that it is sweat resistant. I'll rate this as 4 stars and recommend it although it may not be strong enough sunscreen for people with a history of skin cancer or who experience very adverse reactions to sunshine.

May may cause one mess of a RASH!! Sensitive folks stay away!

*** WARNING IF YOU HAVE SENSITIVE SKIN STAY AWAY FROM BANANA BOAT! ***

*** WARNING IF YOU HAVE SENSITIVE SKIN STAY AWAY FROM BANANA BOAT! ***

OK - Bought a two pack of the Banana Boat Sport Performance SPF 30 (UVB & AvoTriplex High UVA) lotion & used it on my 7 year-old swim & dive team son this week...

After the first day (3 hours of early morning sun exposure) he had a bit of a pink "glow" to his back & all exposed areas (the same areas  I had applied sunscreen).  I thought it must have washed off with the diving & swimming.

The second day I decided to reapply in between dive team & swim team to be sure the lotion stayed put... he was even redder after day two.

Not being too bright, I applied 1/2 hour before we left the house today (day three) ...  again after dive team (1 1/2 hours later)... and then again after swim so he could play with a few friends.  It was quite overcast & cool today, so I thought I was using too much lotion... but:  After today's three applications my son is a lobster & has had to take benedryl, ibuprofen & use aloe with lidocaine.

The Bananaboat website, by Sun Pharmaceuticals in Connecticut; does not have an e-mail link & I will have to wait until Monday to call them as their answering sevice is closed for the weekend.

We are NOT a typically allergic family... no skin problems, rashes or any type of sensitivity to anything up to this point.

smells gross

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen SPF 30:

I'm not crazy about this sunscreen for a number of reasons. One, it smells really gross. It is the typical unpleasant, chemical sunscreen scent but magnified ten times over. I know know how they can make it smell so bad. Two, it makes your skin feel greasy and sticky. This sunscreen doesn't come in a particularly thick consistency, but when you go to spread it onto your skin it thickens up and becomes difficult to spread, giving the "white coating of death" that some poor lotion-type products give. Three, the SPF is too low to be effective for me. I have fair and sensitive skin, and 30 SPF is just too low to protect me from sunburns. With this sunscreen I find that I have to reapply even more often than the recommended 80 minutes because I start to feel the burn sooner than that.
This sunscreen is pretty cheap as far as sunscreens go, but there just really isn't anything I like about it enough to ever buy it again.

Long lasting, good protection

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen SPF 30:

This is one of my favorite sunscreens because it stays on a long time compared to other lotions and sprays. It is easy enough to apply, but you have to make sure you cover all areas. It has a little bit thicker of a consistency, which I find helps with protection and also makes it easier to see where you've already applied and where you missed.

This has a typical sunscreen smell. It isn't too overpowering but definitely noticeable.

Absorption
I find this sunscreen leaves somewhat of a greasy residue on my skin when I apply. I don't really try to have it absorb into my skin because it seems like better protection occurs when I don't totally rub it in.

Longevity
I find this lasts longer than the sunscreen sprays in particular.

As long as I have thoroughly applied this sunscreen, I have not gotten burned, even during the two years I lived in Hawaii.

Ease of Application
This isn't quite as easy to apply as the spray but it allows better control and coverage during application.

Trusted product

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen SPF 30:

I've used it for as long as I remember. I've lived in both California and Illinois and have always used this sunscreen in the nicest and harshest of weather. I trust it and recommend to anyone.

Banana Boat sunscreen has a very non offensive scent. It is light and the smell won't stick but the protection will.

Absorption
This sunscreen has the best absorption. It goes right on quickly and absorbs so i can relax in the sun or go have a splash in the water. It works perfect.

Longevity
This lasts quite long. I never remember having to use it multiple times. I can use it once and I don't have to reapply the lotion again.

I don't have skin that burna easily, but sunscreen is good for anyone spending time in certain weather, good skin or not. It has always been good to me and for my skin. I also have sensitive skin and this sunscreen never bothered me a bit.

Ease of Application
Very easy to use. It doesn't go squirting out more than you need it to. Remember people, you control the bottle.

• Ease of Application:

This doesn't protect the nose or shoulders well enough.

from West Virginia

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen SPF 30:

I tried this on my face and shoulders while at the beach and was significantly let down. When I was at the beach, the weather was a bit humid and hot. It was around 90 degrees each day so I figured I should wear some sunscreen on my face and shoulders. Both of these areas are usually the first to burn on me.

I made sure to shake the bottle well before using it. I applied this product all over my face. I even made sure to add a second and third layer to my nose and reapply the product once every hour while I was outdoors. I also slathered several layers of sunscreen on my shoulders and the rest of my body. I wore a two piece bikini and was burnt pretty badly after spending three hours outdoors.

My skin tone at the time is what I would call a natural beige color. I wasn't pale but I wasn't really tan either. I had a natural glow going but this block didn't protect me well enough. My nose was blistered and so were my shoulders and behind my legs. These are the only places that burnt but it was very uncomfortable. I would recommend a higher SPF if you're going to be at the beach.

It actually has a nice scent. It kind of smells tropical like coconuts.

Absorption
It absorbs well but it isn't effective.

Longevity
I made sure to apply this once every hour but I still got a significant burn.

I was burned even after applying this constantly.

Ease of Application
It's very easy to apply and even absorbs nicely.

• Ease of Application:

When sun and sweat meet, this sunscreen protects!

from Davis, CA

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen SPF 30:

Banana Boat Sport Performance Lotion SPF 30 is a perfect sunscreen for those who work or play in the sun. Where I live, I can work outside nine months out of the year with much of that under sunny skies. Most of my outdoor activities involve gardening. Before I tried Banana Boat, my sunscreen actually slid off my face as warmed up and started perspiring. This doesn’t happen now. I’m now completely protected from the damaging UV affects of the sun.

It smell nice and light. I'm very sensitive to fragrances, but have no trouble with this one.

Absorption
The lotion goes on smoothly and is absorbed quickly. I can apply it within minutes of gardening without worry about getting it on my clothes.

Longevity
It seems to last well over an hour. I've only have to reapply it when I'm in the sun over two hours.

For someone as fair skinned as I am, I probably should use something with a higher SPF. However, even at this level, I don't seem to burn when I use this sunscreen.

Ease of Application
It's so easy to use! It's like a soothing, very smooth lotion.

• Ease of Application:

Get on the Boat, the Banana Boat!

from MI

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen SPF 30:

Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen with SPF 30 is a great, inexpensive sunscreen for basically any occasion. Beach, sun, sport, water - this sunscreen covers it all. Growing up, my parents had a swimming pool, which meant, many, many hours spent outside in the hot summer sun. Banana boat was one of the brands of sunscreen my mom ALWAYS had on hand to protect us from the sun's harmful rays, and I believe in it.

Now, as a mom myself, I still look to Banana Boat to provide good, all day, long lasting protection for my family. It smells GREAT, which is one thing I think I love most about it. It goes on nicely and isn't greasy the way other sunscreen lotions can be, and it really does last all day through swimming, and sweating.

Banana Boat has the best smelling sunscreens - I just love it. If you are looking for a good sunscreen that smells like summertime, this is the one right here

Absorption
Rubs in nicely without leaving you feeling oily or greasy.

Great Sunscreen

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen SPF 30:

This is a great sunscreen that definitely delivers what it promises. And the price will start to look like a bargain once it gets to work.

It has a nice scent that will not overpower you or a medicine scent that will end up giving you a headache.

Absorption
Goes on the skin well and easily. It stays on very well even after you go into the water. It doesn't just come off so easily, but when you wash with soap it comes off just fine. You can really feel it work when it is on your skin.

Longevity
This sunscreen lasts a very long time. You can go to the beach and apply it and not have to apply it again. I only have to apply it once to myself and my kids and we're good for the day.

This sunscreen has done a very good job for me and my family. It keeps us from getting those nasty sunburns and has kept us safe from harmful UV rays.

Ease of Application
It is very easy to apply this sunscreen to the skin. It has a nice consistency and isn't thick or greasy.

Great for runners!

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen SPF 30:

This is a great sunscreen for any long distance runner or outdoor athlete. I am a runner and have trained long distances in the summer months. Therefore, I needed a sunscreen that would protect my skin and stay on me throughout the run. This sunscreen does an excellent job at continuing to protect you through sun and sweat. It is a great sunscreen for anyone who is active in the sun. I would not recommend this one for just laying by the pool. However, if you are looking to be active outdoors in the summer, this is a great sunscreen to use. It is very effective at preventing sunburns. I will definitely be using it again.

It smells like your typical sunscreen. The scent is not bad at all.

Absorption
This sunscreen absorbs really well and stays put on your skin. It is the best I have found at continuing to protect your skin through heat and sweat.

Longevity
It stayed on me for multiple hours. I was also sweating heavily through that time. I think it holds up extremely well.

It is highly effective at preventing sunburns.

Ease of Application
It is very easy to apply.

• Ease of Application:

Great product for athletic people

from TX

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen SPF 30:

I have only used this product twice. I purchased it mainly because of the name claiming to work well with sport performance. The first time I used it was at a fun run and this product provided great coverage and did not clog my pores while running. I forgot to apply the sunscreen to my upper arms and I could see the difference afterward. My upper arm was burned while my fore arm was tanned. I use this product also when at the beach because it does not sweat off easily like other products. The kids love the smell and it works effectively on everyone. The packaging is easy for traveling and it is very inexpensive.

Smells great, very faint scent.

Absorbs good and quickly

Longevity
I used for about four hours and got great coverage. Not sure how well it will work after that.

This product was very effective at offering great coverage while I was at my sweatiest.

Ease of Application
Easy to apply. I like using this product when on the run and traveling.

Counted on for Years

from Fairfield, VA

Comments about Banana Boat Sport Performance Sunscreen SPF 30:

This is the sunscreen that is always in our cupboard every summer, for working out in the heat, yard work, and gardening. For a workout up to two hours, it has never disappointed me on the humid days I really sweat. Others in the family with bald heads count on it when they do yard work!

The classic scent says "sun and summer", and fades slowly. I open it sometimes just to smell it!

Absorption
It absorbs very quickly, and it isn't greasy at all-I hardly know its there, besides the scent.

Longevity
As long as you don't get hit with a lot of water (like swimming), it works for hours. I usually only apply it once on burn-prone areas before I go out to mow or garden. It seems to be impermeable to sweat for hours.

I have never been disappointed in it-I have no memories of burning while using it, and it helps prevent dry skin.

Ease of Application
It is very easy to apply. You can shake the last little bit out pretty easily when its almost empty.