Other Credit Cards:

American Express - Gold Delta SkyMiles

Pros

Cons

Awesome rewards

I signed up for the American Express Delta Skymiles Gold a couple of months ago when there was a signup offer of 25000 miles plus 15000 more if you spent 1,000 dollars in the first month.  This comes out to be 400 dollars off of a plane ticket!

I recommend waiting until you receive a good offer with the most amount of bonus miles awarded for signing up!

I planned on canceling this card after the first year due to the annual $95 fee... but I looked into it more and realized that you receive a free companion ticket each year with the card... which definitely saves money considering tickets are more that $95.

One downside is that AmEx cards aren't accepted everywhere so you should also have a Visa or Mastercard backup.

My Delta Skymiles

I did, at one time, have an American Express Delta Skymiles Gold card. I enjoyed the signup offer of bonus miles and did use Delta upon occasion. I even transferred miles to my husband. Unfortunately, we don’t typically travel together on trips so the companion perk is of no use to us. And, I didn’t read the fine print regarding the annual fee. Imagine my shock when I had paid off the account only to find the annual fee charge. Add to that the fact that, like many Americans, I’m struggling to pay off other credit cards with much higher balances that lured me in with the same signup incentive. Not wishing to make an already spiraling debt problem worse, I closed the account. I still have miles which I tried to transfer to my daughter. However, as with everything else, there was a fee. And, being affected by the Government shutdown, I couldn’t afford to transfer the balance to her; and she didn’t have the money for the transfer either as she’s a struggling student. I will more than likely lose those point because I don’t have the money to fly anywhere either or have to find less expensive route as frequent flyer miles haven’t always been as good as they have proclaimed.

Now with that said, the above comes from someone who did not properly prepare finances. A credit card is only as good as the person using it. If you’re a frequent flyer, use Delta Airlines and travel with a companion that sounds like an ideal situation and means money is readily available. Then, having an American Express Delta Skymiles Gold card and paying the annual fee would be a good fit,

Great sign up bonuses with points.

from gbhjf nhgjrjthyui

Comments about American Express - Gold Delta SkyMiles:

I got this card about three and a half years ago. At the time, the company was offering 25,000 free points just for becoming a new member. Additionally, if I spent $500 or more, I would receive 5000 bonus points; if I spent $1000 or more, they threw in an additional 15000 points if this amount was spent in the first month. For me it was perfect because I had to take a few trips for work, so used the card to book them and received the additional 15000 points.

With this said, they do have great benefits; every 10000 points, you get $100 off a plane ticket; so, if you travel often, this can add up to free tickets in no time. Additionally, they offer perks where you can earn double or triple points, when you use the card on certain flights or certain slow seasons for traveling.

Although I don't always fly with Southwest, when I do, I make sure to book with this card. Interest rates aren't too high as an added bonus, so you aren't really paying an absurd amount each month if you do not pay the entire balance off in full with this card monthly. And, you aren't blacked out of using points during peak holiday season or to popular destinations, which is another added bonus with this company.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Good Card

from Provo, Utah

Comments about American Express - Gold Delta SkyMiles:

We really liked this card and got a free ticket from Japan by using it. If you travel a lot this is a great option because you get lots of points back by making purchases. It is really easy to use. If you buy a ticket online you just buy it using your card and put in your airline miles number. If you buy other stuff it is just like a normal card and you still earn miles from everyday things. The only downside was the yearly fee. It was about $100 and that was too much when we stopped traveling between the Japan and the US a lot. So you have to look and see if you will travel enough to make the benefits outweigh the cost of the fee.

Customer Service
We never had any problems with our card. One of the great things about American Express is how they are willing to go to bat for you. They will even extend the warranty on your electronics purchases.

Available Rates
I don't really remember the rates. It seems they were similar to other credit cards.

• Available Rates:

Great sign up bonuses with points.

• Available Rates:

Excellent card, interest not that good!

from Westchester, IL

Comments about American Express - Gold Delta SkyMiles:

After building up my credit history for a year and a half I decided to apply for the American Express Gold Delta SkyMiles. To my surprise I was approved for it and given a $4,800. I also received 50,000 bonus delta miles. The best thing about this card is that it didn't have any annual fee. I got my card in the mail after 4 business days and activated it over the phone. I made several transactions with this card within the first couple of months and I received additional bonus points to my account. I paid off my balance every month and was in excellent standing with American Express. A
month later my account was flagged for a financial review. My account was frozen and I was given 3 days to fax my tax records to them. I immediately faxed my information to them and I received a response back in 48 hours. Everything checked out and my account was restored. I even received a credit line increase, which brought my limit up to $6,400. My only complaint is that my interest rate is 20%. Because of this I don't carry a balance ever.

fabulous!

Comments about American Express - Gold Delta SkyMiles:

American Express is the card I always want to use when buying products of value. They guarantee and I have used their guarantee. I bought a camera at Fred Meyer which malfunctioned almost immediately. I tried to return it and was refused. I called Amex and the price was put back into my account immediately. I asked if they wanted me to send them the camera and was told that that was not necessary. The representative to whom I spoke was unfailingly polite, courteous and friendly. He commiserated with me at my lack of service(not usual at Fred Meyer's) and told there would be no difficulty whatsoever in receiving my refund.
American Express is awesome!!!

Available Rates
I have my account on full account autopay, so I never pay interest. I try to do this with any credit card account since my memory can be erratic and sometimes I forget to check my accounts to make sure they are set up to pay on time.

• Available Rates:

So far I'm loving this card!

from Southfield, MI

Comments about American Express - Gold Delta SkyMiles:

I love to travel but it gets expensive. That's why I love rewards cards like this one! It is absolutely fantastic earning Delta airline miles on things I needed to buy anyways!
I haven't had any issues cashing in my points. You hear nightmare stories about black out dates and things like that but I have not had any issues with Delta. They have always been very accommodating.
I would definitely recommend this card to anyone looking to earn some free flights for buying things they needed anyway! It's really a no brainer!

Customer Service
I have found the customer service people who work for American Express and especially the ones who handle the Gold Delta SkyMiles card to be very polite and helpful. I have not had any real problems but I have had some questions and they were always answered in a professional and courteous manner.

Available Rates
I find the rate if this card to be comparable to other cards with similar benefits.

Great Support and Rewards

from Lawrenceville, GA

Comments about American Express - Gold Delta SkyMiles:

I have had American Express Delta Miles credit card for many years but it has changed. For the first year I received a mile for each dollar spent and there was no annual fee. After the first year there was to be a $85 annual fee which I did not want to pay so I opted for changing the terms on the credit card. The change was how many dollars were required for each mile. Currently I have to charge 2 dollars before I receive a mile but there is no annual fee on the card. The one thing that I really like about this company is the support they provide if you have a problem with any of the vendors that are paid using the American Express credit card. I had a problem with a security door vendor that I paid using my American Express card and when I reported the unresolved issue to American Express they stopped paying the vendor and contacted them to find out what needed to be resolved. When they found out what needed to be done they offered to pay for the contractor to come out to my house to check out the issue. I have other credit cards but not sure if I could get this type of support from anyone else.

• Available Rates:

Had a free plane ticket in a couple of months

Comments about American Express - Gold Delta SkyMiles:

We applied for this card anticipating that we would be planning a trip out west to visit family. We received the card in May, and only had to spend $500 in the first three months to receive 30,000 bonus miles, which is basically $300. By charging groceries, gas, and bills - items that we would spend money on anyway - we hit $500 in the first month. There are two ways to redeem the miles: you can get a ticket for, say, 25,000 or 32,000 miles, or you can use miles to take off dollar amounts from the price of the ticket. For us, it was more effective to use the miles as dollars. Our tickets were around $250 each, so we were able to apply 15,000 points to two tickets (max allowed) which made our "dollars" go further. We saved $300 on tickets by spending money we would have spent anyway, and the set up for redeeming the miles was very efficient. There is a $95 annual fee on this card, but it is waived the first year. Plus free checked bags. I am super happy with the rewards on this card.
Update: Once you get your earned ticket and use it, I found that this card was my least favorite. We just canceled it, ahead of the annual fee, because we like the rewards cards where you get credit back on your card much easier to use. The Delta points system is a hassle.

• Available Rates:

Great card for racking up miles

from Peoria, AZ

Comments about American Express - Gold Delta SkyMiles:

Delta American Express card is noted for service. They offer points for the frequent flyers and I love Delta's staff. Always helpful and should you have a question on your billing, I find they are great to work with and they resolve any issues quickly.

Customer Service
Customer service is where this card shines. These people are awesome and will do what they can to be of service, Most of these cards are fee based so I suggest that you make sure that you can justify the fee, I love Delta, the service is great and their American Express card is wonderful. The biggest problem that I have is Delta's frequent flyer program requires to many points for a free ticket. I find it way out of line compared to other airlines. If you are considering a credit card Delta does offer a special bonus miles for opening a new account and this helps get a free ticket a lot quicker. These folks help resolve issues and are great to help their customers.

Available Rates
If you pay the entire amount each billing cycle, than you do not have to pay interest and you get frequent flyer points based on the amount that you charged, If you do not pay the entire balance or plan to transfer an unpaid balance I would suggest checking this card for rates.

• Available Rates:

Review of Delta gold american express card

Comments about American Express - Gold Delta SkyMiles:

Overall, the Delta gold American Express card is above average. The American Express gold Delta card has good customer service, a good rate, and a good rewards program.

Customer Service
The American Express gold Delta card has very good customer service and so is above average. The American Express Delta Gold card customer service staff are kind, courteous, and fast, and very knowledgeable. The American Express Delta gold customer service staff also will sometimes reward you with reward points when you have flight cancellations or problems with the card. They will also give you Delta flight benefits for using the card like points that can be used for free Delta airline tickets.

Available Rates
The American Express Gold Delta card has fair and reasonable rates compared to other similar cards and so is above average in this category. The American Express gold Delta card does have an annual fee but sometimes they will waive this fee if you call them.