Other Breast Pumps:

Ameda Purely Yours Electric Breast Pump

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

This pump is a life saver!

I love my Ameda Purely Yours pump.  I did a lot of research before buying my Ameda pump, and I'm glad I did.  The pump itself is super easy to use, assemble, and diassemble.  And you have very little to clean and sterilize.  Which is fabulous considering how much of the baby's things you'll be cleaning.  The suction and cycle spead are independently adjustable, which is very comfortable.  The car adapter is nice!  I loved being able to discreatly pump while on road trips.  The hand held pump came with my kit, and I've used that a few times, it's very nice!  I actually prefer it in the car, but you have to pump it and sometimes I'm lazy.  It's wonderful to use when taking advantage of the let down when nursing the baby, as it is quiet and the angle is adjustable.  This pump is also FDA approved, so you have that security as well.

When I first started nursing, I was so sore on one side, I didn't think I would nurse for very long.  But my pump really helped a lot.  When my baby was just days old, it helped relieve that initial engourgement and let me sleep while my husband spent some much loved time feeding his daughter.  And when we got into a regular feeding and sleeping schedule, it helped by allowing me to pump once a day to keep my milk up.  After months of pumping and storing (milk can be kept frozen for a year) I now use the milk for making her cereal!

I have to add that I do not use the bottles, I only use the seal and go bags.  And you don't need anything extra to attach the bags, unless you don't want to hold them (sometimes I just use my shirt and bra to hold the pump on, as it weighs almost nothing).  I can't think of enough wonderful things to say about this pump!  I love it!

I will definitely be using it with my next baby!

Did not work very well for me at all

I am very very surprised to see how many people seem to love this pump. I got this and a Medela pump and this pump did not at all compare to the Medela. I started out with this one and was thinking it was pretty great, when my daughter was a couple weeks I would pump with this and get about a half ounce of milk or less from each breast which I assumed was just normal because I was told you get less when you pump than what the baby is able to pull out. I then recieved a medela from elsewhere and when I would pump with the Medela I would get over an ounce per beast, twice as much! I was very surprised, when I was given this pump I was told it was a hospital grade pump. I also did not like how the pump it's self is designed it just seems strange to me to have the places for the bottles because I never really used them? The suction was very harsh as well. I honestly would go with the Medela anytime over this pump.

I Truly Hated This Experience

Comments about Ameda Purely Yours Electric Breast Pump:

The hospital gave this to me when my son was born. They insisted I have an electric, even after I had repeatedly told them how much I liked my Medela manual breast pump. I wanted nothing to do with an electric breast pump. Still, they insisted. I gave it a try. My fears actually did come true. I did get milk out of my breasts pretty fast, but my comfort level was close to zero. We quit using it because I ended up getting a bruise from it. Honestly, I know it is big and fancy, but it proved to me that it is just a myth that an electric will work better. It really all depends on the mother who is doing the pumping, I think. It depends on what you are comfortable with and I hated this. Breastfeeding itself was uncomfortable in the beginning, but it was still more comfortable than an Ameda Purely Yours breast pump AND I got the bonding time with my son. I honestly would not recommend this to anyone. Especially, women who are more sensitive to pain.

• Versatility:

Easy to use, lightweight and compact

Comments about Ameda Purely Yours Electric Breast Pump:

I used this pump for about 4 months. 2 of those months I used the pump 5-7 times per day. I also had a Medela pump and found that I got the same results with both pumps. I preferred this pump because it is much more portable and lightweight. With the Medela, I was stuck in one spot while pumping, but with the Ameda I could walk around and get other things done. I will use this pump again with my next child.

Comfort
I used this pump almost daily for 4 months. The suction is adjustable so you can turn it up or down to find the best setting for you. I found that I didn't need a whole lot of suction and it minimized discomfort.

You have to be very careful when cleaning the white membranes of the pump. They are plastic and tear very easily. It is best to just swish these around in warm water and let them air dry. Once torn, you will lose a lot of suction in your pump. I would advise getting several spare pairs just in case. The inside of the horn is a little difficult to clean as well, but a bottle brush worked the best.

My pump still works great and will be used for my next child.

Versatility
What I like the most about this pump is how lightweight and portable it is. I would use a hands free bra so I could get other things done while pumping. I would tuck the pump into my waist band and get dishes done or fold laundry.

It took me a few weeks to figure out which settings worked the best for me. Once I figured it out, it was very easy to use.

• Versatility:

A must have for nursing mothers.

from Drakesboro, Ky

Comments about Ameda Purely Yours Electric Breast Pump:

I bought the Ameda Purely Yours Electric Breast Pump when I was nursing my son so that I could have extra breast milk for my sitters while I was at work. This pump was a blessing! It allowed me to pump and store breast milk so that I did not have to supplement breast milk with baby formula. It has several speeds and suctioning power which allowed me to set it at a speed and suction that worked without hurting me. The only downside is that it is rather loud and it made me feel a bit like a milk cow. The price of the machine is a lot cheaper then other models but the quality is impeccable.

Comfort
Even when my nipples were sore this breast pump was not painful to use.

There are a lot of small parts to clean and sanitize but that is true of any breast pump.

This pump lasted me through nursing two children.

Versatility
There really is not any versatility it is a breast pump that is all you can use it for.

It was very easy to learn how to use.

• Versatility:

Ameda Purely Yours is a great pump for daily use.

Comments about Ameda Purely Yours Electric Breast Pump:

I have been using this pump for 9 months, usually pumping 3 times a day, 5 days a week. It has proven to be a very durable and efficient pump, and really helped me maintain my milk supply after I went back to work. My only complaint is that it's a little louder than I would like, but I don't think there are any pumps for the same price that would be quieter. I've only just started to have some problems with the suction getting weaker, but the ameda customer service (I think it's called parent care) has been very helpful and shipped replacement parts quickly. I'm very pleased with this pump and really glad that I decided to get this pump instead of a cheaper, lower quality pump.

Comfort
I found the pump to be comfortable. It's possible to get smaller size flanges if necessay.

It's easy to separate and clean the pieces.

Most of the pump is very durable. The valves can be easily damaged if they're not cleaned properly, but they can be replaced.

I think it's very easy to use. There are definitely pumps out there that are more complicated.

Great Pump for Working Mothers

Comments about Ameda Purely Yours Electric Breast Pump:

I used this pump while working full-time after two babies. To start, there is nothing that makes pumping fun, but having the best equipment makes it so much easier. I've used cheaper pumps and simply put they couldn't match the results I achieved from this pump. Having this helped me to be able to provide breast milk to my kids for their entire first year even while working a job that required me to work a minimum of 45 - 50 hours a week. One of the best features of this pump is the ability to adjust the speed and the suction independently. Anyone who's pumped knows that some days you are more sensitive than others and the ability to adjust this these settings can help you to get through the tougher days. It works quickly, so you don't feel like you are spending all of your time pumping. All of the pieces come apart making it fairly simple to clean. As to comfort, I've found that I prefer the molded plastic of these cups to the flexible ones and it makes it nice that they have multiple size options so you can get the right fit. I've also been able to use this on multiple occasions while traveling and it produces the same results.

Good pump

Comments about Ameda Purely Yours Electric Breast Pump:

Before giving birth I checked a notable review site and this was listed as number 2 to a different pump that was super high in price. This one seemed affordable and it was ranked #2, how bad could it be? Well it wasn't bag at all. It was a really good pump. It was super easy to use and you could screw different bottles/containers to the pump. One of the biggest complaints of the #1 review pump was that it sucked to hard...or something along those lines. I didn't find that an issue. They didn't hurt during or after pumping. It was easy to clean and you could purchase extra parts on-line. These screwed to the bottles I was using. I also had the Snappies and those screwed right on without a hitch. In summary, this was a cheaper alternative that didn't hurt my boobies and it was easy to pump. I could purchase spare parts that needed easily on-line and I was super happy with the product. I don't know what else you could ask for from a breast pump.

Amazing Electric Pump

Comments about Ameda Purely Yours Electric Breast Pump:

I received my Ameda Purely Yours Dual Electric Breast Pump through my insurance. It has proven to be the most effective pump that I have used ever. When I was in the hospital right after having my son they gave a Medela hand pump to use that was not easy or effective, but when I got home and tried using the Ameda pump everything went more smoothly. I intially thought that I would have a problem with the size of my nipple because the video says it will not pump correctly if your nipple is too big, it just took some time to get used to the correct positioning inside the shield. This pump has two settings, one for speed and another for suction, so you can always adjust for it to go exactly how you want. cleaning the pump is easy because all you do is take the bottle off and wash as necessary. The tubes never actually get wet so there is no need to keep them clean. It is also very easy to travel with this pump. I was worried about going back to work and being able to pump but it is small enough to fit in a small diaper back and light enough to not be a burden. Overall I would recommend this pump to anyone out there searching.

Good pump!

Comments about Ameda Purely Yours Electric Breast Pump:

I have used this pump multiple times a day for a whole year. I used this pump with my first baby when I exclusively pumped every bottle for her. I would pump four times a day for half an hour each time. I never had any problems with it, and it worked great and fast! I kept this pump and am now using it again for my second baby. It still works well but after another 6 months of multiple pumpings a day, I can tell the suction isn't quite as strong as it used to be. There's also a small crack on the flange and the plastic parts are slightly discolored after so many uses and washings. I've loved this pump overall though! It does have alot of parts and takes a minute to get all set up and comfortable, so when you only have one kid it's easier, but now for me, it's a little difficult to unhook myself quickly when one of the kids needs something. After so many uses it was well worth the price and I will get the same pump again!

Great pump

Comments about Ameda Purely Yours Electric Breast Pump:

I am very happy with this pump because it is easy to figure out how to use, the speed is easily controllable and you don't need to clean tubes like some other pumps which results in unsanitary conditions including mold. I easily transported the pump with me while traveling. The bottles that come with the pump are easy to clean in the dishwasher and transparent so you can see how much milk you pump per session.

Comfort
I can't imagine pumping being comfortable but this pump made it bearable.

No need to clean tubes so the only cleaning was the valves and bottles which are dishwasher safe.

I pumped a few times a week for almost fourteen months without a problem.

Versatility
The pump easily works with a hands free pumping bra. The tubes are pretty long so you can move around a bit while pumping.

I was able to start pumping within minutes of opening the box. It is easy to control the speed to conform to how your body produces milk.

• Versatility:

I am happy with the breast pump, it does a great job.

from West Jordan, UT

Comments about Ameda Purely Yours Electric Breast Pump:

I got this breast pump just a few weeks ago. I was using a friends pump that was a very nice pump, but I wanted to get it back to her, so I tried to find a pump like hers, this was almost exactly the same. I love the ease to set it, it's very quick. I also love that you can do both sides at the same time. Before, I only had a one sided electric pump and it took forever, this one makes pumping not a big deal. Another thing I like is that it quickly gets all the milk out. I only pump about 5 minutes total and everything is out.

One down side is that the pump isn't quite as powerful as my friend's pump. It is still pretty good, and I'm hoping it will continue to be strong.