Other Breast Pumps:

Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump with Backpack

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

It won't cure PPD, but it sure makes your nipples happier!

The Medela Advance Personal Double Electric Breast Pump has been a complete life-saver for me! No, really, I don't think I would ever buy another breast pump. Unable to use the hospital's cushy high-grade electric pump once I was discharged, I was forced into using a dinky manual breast pump that simply did not do the job and left my nipples sore. This was a huge shock... and a painful one at that. I put an order in right away for the Medela.

When I got this pump, I was surprised by all of the extra features that it has. For example, it comes with four storage bottles, two sizes of nipple-guards, and freezable/reusable ice packs and an insulated compartment to keep milk cold when transporting. It's a pretty self-contained system for incorporating so much, so while I wouldn't go lugging it around the city, it's easy to transport.

The adjustable settings on the Medela are easily identifiable and labeled well, so I felt very comfortable using it right off the bat. After plugging in the pump, adjusting those easy-to-use settings, and turning it on, I was amazed at how gentle the pump is. Even at the highest suction setting, the Medela was not painful or uncomfortable, and was certainly much more forgiving than my hungry newborn. Plus, this pump expelled much more milk than the manual I had been using. My sore nipples were much happier after a day's use with the Medela, as was my daughter, who guzzled down a nice fresh bottle of freshly-squeezed "mom-juice" after just a few minutes of pumping.

average

I initially bought the Avent Isis IQ single pump but after coming home from the hospital and trying to get my milk to come in, a double pump was a must. I bought the Medela from the hospital upon their and friends' suggestion. It is easy to use and clean and pretty much gets the job done but I have found it to be pretty uncomfortable if used often and the Medela does not seem to express nearly the amount of milk the Avent does.

I've recommended this pump to so many friends!

from Portland, OR

About Me First Time Parent

Pros

• Easy to clean
  • Easy to use
  • Fast/Efficient
  • Portable

Cons

• Loud

• Breast Feeding
  • Milk Storage
  • Newborns
  • Travel
  • Working Moms

Comments about Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump with Backpack:

When I was pregnant I researched a lot of different pumps. I knew I would be going back to work rather quickly and I would be pumping a lot. After reading countless reviews I decided on this one. I'm so glad I did. It was easy to use and very efficient. When you need to take breaks at work about 3 times a day you need it to go as quickly as possible. The system worked very well and was easy to maintain. The backpack was great because it held everything together and I could take it anywhere very easily.

Workhorse of a pump

Comments about Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump with Backpack:

I was given this pump used when I had my twins 3 years ago. It was several years old then, but still going strong. I bought new tubes, flanges, bottles and everything, and it worked great for me. When my twins were born I had to pump to help bring my milk supply up, this worked great for that. As my two got older I started building a supply for whatever was needed. This lasted through 7 months of one pumping session a day that produced up to 18oz of milk each time.

No worse then nursing.

I rinsed with hot water then sanitized with the bags in the microwave for my first kiddos. Now that I have a dishwasher, I just use that (My dishwasher sanitizes). The tubes are almost impossible to clean, a little moisture gets in there, and causes mold. I read a few things to try to prevent this, but nothing I tried worked well. My solution was just to buy new tubes about once a month. The good thing is that the moisture from the tubes is never going to end up contaminating your milk that you pump, so it is not a horrible problem.

I am not exactly sure how old my model is since it was given to me

Versatility
I have rarely had to use it, but you can do just one side. I was also given the adapter using a cigarette lighter in the car or battery pack.

This was great for me.

My Go To Pump

Comments about Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump with Backpack:

When I was breastfeeding, I wanted some time to myself, and that was hard to have when my infant was nursing every two hours. I went to this breastpump so I could build a supply for bottles so my husband, and any other visitors could give my kids a bottle. This breastpump replaced my handheld, which was FANTASTIC, my hands were so sore from trying to pump manually. Best thing about this one, is that you could hook it up so you could pump both breasts simultaneously.

Comfort
With very large breasts comfort was a bit of an issue, the suction could be very strong if you were not prepared for it, which could cause some pain if the suction level was too high.

Cleaning the attachments was a snap, although there were issues with milk getting into the hoses, which were very hard to clean. If milk got in, it was much more efficient to just buy a replacement hose rather than worry about mold.

My youngest child is now 4 and the pump still functions, I am sure I could use it again if I have another child.

Versatility
You can single pump or double pump depending on your needs at the time.

It takes some trial and error to learn how to use the pump efficiently. I ended up cutting up an old bra to give me a harness so I could go hands free and pump.

• Versatility:

Great pump and discreet backpack

Comments about Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump with Backpack:

I loved using this pump! I didn't realize how good it was until I tried the Harmony during a hospital stay. The harmony is more quiet but the suction/pressure was not as good as the Pump In Style.

I used the pump right after I gave birth to start storing up for when I returned to work. I had no problems with the pump at all including when my breasts were engorged. When I used it at work, it was also very easy. However, if you need to multi-task during pumping sessions, definitely get the medela pumping bra!

The pump itself is noisy so hopefully you can pump in an enclosed area. But the backpack is very discreet and mos people don't know what it's for. Also the backpack is fairly roomy with zippered side pockets; great for storing tissue, antibacterial gel, and milk storage bags. It also has a water bottle holder in the side; perfect to help you keep hydrated during pumping sessions. There is also a zippered pouch on top and that is where I stuffed all my tubes, bottles, valves, and accessories. A very well-designed pump carrying case overall!

Comfort
As long as you are correctly fitted for the phalange/funnel-thing that goes over your nipple, the pump is great. The standard size that the pump comes with is medium and I had to get a size large for it to be properly fitted for me.

If you use the medela steam clean bags, cleaning is a 10! Just toss all the components into the bag and microwave for the appropriate time (listed on the bags themselves). Piece of cake! As for hand washing, it can be a pain especially if you are a full-time working mom who pumps at work. I bought several extra sets of the phalanges, valves, and even the tubes to make my life easier and it was definitely worth it! That way, if you dose utterly exhausted at night, you can use another set and wash the used one the next night. Plus, it's handy to keep an extra set at work in case you forget the components when you are sleep-deprived!

I've used the same pump for both children (I pumped for 13-14 months for a child) and they are 3 years apart. Even though it is discouraged by the company, my friend borrowed the same pump in the interim and my pump still worked great. I knew because I brought it to a local breast pump store where they clean it and double-check its pressure. The pump was still at its top/excellent settings.

Very easy to use. Just plug the tubes in and set up the bottles. Plug it into the outlet or you can use the portable battery source (8 AA, I believe. If you pump more than twice at 10 minutes, the batteries are pretty much drained. So bring extra batteries!). Then pump away.

• Versatility:

Used for a year and was great!

Comments about Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump with Backpack:

I used my Medela Pump in Style Advance Breast Pump for one year with my daughter. I used it two times a day for the first six months and one time a day for the last six months. It made pumping very easy and smooth for me especially since it was my first time. The double pump made it much more efficient for time and I felt I was able to get a good amount of milk in a short amount of time. The bag helps keep it very discreet and I felt comfortable carrying it in to work everyday. Clean up was easy too.

Comfort
I was comfortable while using this to pump and have no complaints.

It was easy to clean all the parts. I have used the Medela wipes sometimes to clean the parts.

It lasted me a whole year without a problem and I used it daily so it is very durable. Never had a problem.

The directions were very clear and once I got the hang of it, pumping was very easy. The ability to double pump made it much easier for me.

Excellent breast pump

Comments about Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump with Backpack:

My third baby is 9 months old and I exclusively breast feed her. I had her in April and I was able to spend the first four months of her life at home with her but then I had to go back to teaching. I wasn't sure how pumping at work would go and I'd I would be able to make enough milk and have time at work to pump. But we are now five months later and my baby has never had any formula! I use the pump twice a day at work. The pump has many features that make it very easy to pump in a shortened time period. It had a double pump so I can pump both breasts at the same time. It also has has different speeds that you can adjust. The pump is extremely easy to clean. A nice feature is the case the pump comes in it looks just like any other bag. Also the accessories as far as the bottles and storage freezer is extremely nice. If you would ever need to purchase additional accessories for the pump it is very easy to find at all stores that carry baby items.

Best Pump for value

Comments about Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump with Backpack:

The only down side to this pump (any pump for that matter) is cleaning. It is comfortable (well, as comfortable as attaching two suction cups to your boobs would be) and easy to use. It does the job and is super convenient to store, use and carry. I found it to be efficient as well as convenient. It didn't take me that much longer to pump than it did to feed (except the cleaning part).

Comfort
Pretty comfortable and attaches without much fuss. Easy to readjust to your own body and move around to make sure you get all those glands!

Difficult to clean if you follow all the directions. I found if I was going to pump only an hour later I would just rinse in really hot water and air dry. Other wise, I washed everything in a basket on the top shelf of my dishwasher and air dried on the counter. Trying to clean the tubes is near impossible - but I did it occasionally and then would use the pump itself to blow out the lines to dry them.

Used this for two kids three years apart and worked great.

Versatility
Easy to bring with you everywhere.

Very easy to use and figure out, but you do need two hands free so if you have one of those babies that needs you to be touching them at all times, you might want to invest in a hands free product like a bra or something to go with this.

I Adore This Pump

Comments about Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump with Backpack:

Both of my twins had a lot of problems with breastfeeding when they were born. To save my sanity and my breasts from engorgement, I bought a cheap pump from Wal-Mart to help me keep my supply up while trying to convince my babies to latch. It was slow, loud, and painful. I hated using it, so when I decided to stop breastfeeding and exclusively pump, I bought the Medela Pump In Style. I chose the backpack version so when we go somewhere where I will need to pump I can easily carry it and my diaper bag without having a ton of bags hanging of my shoulders.
This pump is so much quieter, I can pump at night while the twins are feeding without worrying about waking them. This pump is much more comfortable, it does not cause my any pain while pumping, and it drains my breasts much faster than the old pump and I'm producing more milk now than I was then. All the parts are very easy to clean and assemble, I truly couldn't be happier with this pump. It's expensive but so worth it. I recommend this to anyone who exclusively pumps or pumps several times a day.

• Versatility:

great product but bag has little extra storage.

Comments about Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump with Backpack:

This is an awesome pump. I have been using it every day for over a year and never had any problems with it. I get more milk with this pump than with other brands I have tried. I also like that it comes with a battery backup (though it uses a lot of batteries (8 AA)). It also comes with a cord for the car which is great for trips. One of the only complaints I have is that the bag is small. It can hold the pump parts but not much else. I would like it if it had a extra room. Also, the pump parts can be hard to get clean. I also don't like how the tubes can also get discolored. I will usually replace them after that but I have not found any stores near me that sells the tubes and buying from the Medela website can be expensive shipping wise. I do like how you can change the power of the suction and can shorten the letdown if need be.

It can be a pain to clean. There are a lot of little parts that you will need to take apart to clean. I use their steam bags but you canmot use them on the tubes as it will discolor the tubes.

Great Great Product

Comments about Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breast Pump with Backpack:

After having my first child I wasn't sure whether I wanted to breastfeed or have my child go on formula right away. After being convinced breast feeding would be the best idea I went out and bought a pump. I heard from friends and family that Medela Pump was the best one out there, although a little expensive, it's really worth the price. My child had a hard time latching on so I used this pump exclusively! It was a lot of work, but really worth it. The motor on it works well and I am very happy. I never had problems with it, except when it overflowed, I would have to clean it out and start over. If your not sure what pump to go with go with this one! Medela is such a good brand, if you have problems with it they will ship you a new one in a day, and have great customer service. I will not go with any other pump besides Medela brand. As a first time mother this pump helps your baby stay healthy. Great pump, happy customer.