Other Breast Pumps:
Medela
Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump

Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump

Pros

• Easy to use (3)
  • Portable (3)

• Breast feeding (3)
  • Travel (3)
  • Working moms (3)
    • Versatility:

Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump worked well for me!

I used the Philips Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump with my first son and hated it, so when I got pregnant again, I opted for the brand that is known for being the best in the industry, Medela. I chose the Harmony model because I am a stay-at-home mom and didn't need the quickness of an electric breast pump. Plus, I didn't plan on using it often since I basically just wanted it so daddy could feed the baby and to express milk if I wanted to have a few drinks with my hubby.

The **Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump** is so much better than the Philips Avent Isis one I used with my first child. That one constantly lost suction and was a real pain to use. This one had excellent suction and I liked the handle too. Obviously, manual breast pumps are more difficult to use than electric ones since you have to *manually* get the breast milk out by pumping the handle, but it worked well while I used it. I couldn't breastfeed for very long due to a small milk supply, but for the amount of time I used my **Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump** I really liked it.

The reason why I gave this product 4 stars instead of 5 is because there were a lot of pieces to it. When you washed it, it seemed like there were too many small pieces to figure out where they went back into place, but for the amount of time I used it, it worked well for me.

Great for the occasional pumper

I have just begun to use the Medela Harmony breast pump that was given to me in July of 2010 by my insurance company. I was saving it for when I became clogged and for engorgement but with my third child it hasn't been so bad. So now I am starting my daughter on cereal and I need to mix it with breast milk because I do not want to use formula after that recall with Similac; we just can't be sure of what is going into our babies formula anymore. So I have used it twice now. The first time I used this breast pump it worked great. I got 4 ounces of milk out of each breast in about 20 minutes. This last time I used it though, it wasn't quite as effective, but maybe it was just the time of day affecting my milk supply. But I also noticed that the suction of the pump was off a little too. I still have not figured out what is wrong. I took it apart and can not find anything wrong. When I pump the handle down it takes forever to come back up. I am a little disappointed because I was really excited to be able to pump with this pump at first especially when my daughter started cereal. I did not want to be standing over her cereal squirting my milk directly from my breasts into her bowl. I don't have the patience for hand expression of milk. Hopefully I can figure out what is wrong with my pump. I knew it wouldn't last forever but I did not think it would break after two pumping sessions.

Great to travel with

from Texas

About Me Parent of Two or More Children

Pros

• Easy to use
  • Portable

• Infants
    • Newborns

Comments about Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump:

I'm an exclusive pumper and this pump comes in handy when I'm out and about. Of course it takes longer than my electric, but it very portable. It's really quiet and efficient as well. I keep in my diaper bag just in case it's needed. I defiantly recommend for pumpers or anyone looking for a compact pump.

Perfect for pumping in a pinch

from Boston, MA

About Me First Time Parent

Pros

• Comfortable
    • Easy to clean
    • Easy to use
    • Fast/Efficient
    • Lightweight
    • Portable

Comments about Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump:

I normally use a double electric pump but if we are going out and I just need to bring one as a back up, having a non-electric pump like this is awesome. It's so light and easy to pack in the diaper bag and works very fast so you don't have to spend a whole lot of time pumping. It even comes with a handy little stand so the pump doesn't tip over when you set it down.

Easy and Effective Without the Hassel

from North Carolina

About Me Parent of Two or More Children

Pros

• Comfortable
      • Easy to clean
      • Easy to use
      • Fast/Efficient
      • Lightweight
      • Portable

Cons

• Slower Than The Electric

• Comfort
      • Milk Storage

Comments about Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump:

I first used the Medela Harmony Manual pump when I had my oldest child. It was given to me in the hospital before I was sent home. Being a first time breastfeeding mother made things a little stressful to say the least. Having this pump made it a little easier.

The pump is portable, so I could carry it everywhere with me and not have to worry about carrying around a large case or making sure I had batteries. It is small enough to fit all the needed parts into a small bag or even just a diaper bag. The pump is also very quiet. The electric pumps are great, but they can be very loud. You don't have to worry about anyone hearing you pump through a wall which is really nice at work. There were also times that I didn't need my electric pump because I just needed to pump a little. This pump was much easier to use instead of having to pull out the larger, heavier and louder electric pump.

I used this pump with both of my children, and would use it again if I have more kids. I never had to worry about any of the parts not working the way they are supposed to. The pump is also easy to take apart and clean. All of the Medela bottles work with this pump so if you need a larger bottle they will fit in the pump handle.

Madela continues to make great products for expectant and new mothers. I wouldn't trust any other brands for this type of product. I also like that I can find replacement parts for this pump at many local stores. This saves time and money. I don't have to waste my time locating the parts that I need since they are available locally.

Good First Breast Pump

from Florida

Comments about Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump:

This was the breast pump they gave me in the hospital and it was the only one I used while pumping and breast feeding my daughter. I had never really looked into hand pumps very much before my daughter was born so I didn't know a whole lot about them prior to getting this, but I have to say this pump was very easy for a first time pumper to use.

The handle has two settings one to get you started and get your body used to the sensation and then the one that actually pulls the milk out. It is simple to get the hang of and you can easily do it one handed which as many mommies will tell you is a real plus. The container that collects the milk can be interchanged for a Medela brand bottle or some other brands of bottles of similar size, if you are planning to pump for a bottle in the next few hours.

The unit is very easy to clean. I hand wash all of babies bottles and accessories and washed this many times by hand and with soap soapy warm water it comes clean very quickly. It is also a very sturdy breast pump. When I first got it I thought it would be cheap,and easily broken but it wasn't. It was very easy to use, but also very sturdy.

I would recommend the Medela Harmondy Manual Breast Pump for first time mommies, or for people who are going to be traveling a lot, as it is small and compact.

Great Breast Pump

Comments about Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump:

When I was at the hospital, I kept getting told that electric pumps were more effective than the Medela manual that I purchased. I disagreed. The electric one was really uncomfortable for me. It actually bruised me. It was not of the Medela brand. I quickly switched back to my manual. It was much more comfortable and almost, kind of felt good, in a weird way. It got a lot of milk out for me and it was easy to use. I really can't say that it was a bad product, at all. I think one of the things I would say I didn't like about it, is that it had so many pieces to put together and therefore, a lot of pieces to wash. However, when it comes to doing the best I can for my child in regards to breastfeeding, this is a perfect item. Especially, if you are more sensitive, the way I was. It really did the trick. Maybe not as fast, but I would rather have it doing it slower than more painfully to get more out of my breasts.

Little Miracle-Worker!

from Sonora, CA

Comments about Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump:

I love this little pump. Initially I wanted the Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump for easy packing when traveling and to keep in the car in case I ever got painfully engorged. It's earned it's weight far beyond my expectations though. I came down with a dangerous case of mastitis and no amount of heat, massage, pumping or nursing was doing the trick. As a last ditch effort, I finally decided to try moist heat WHILE pumping by pumping while taking a hot shower. I enjoy being alive *way* too much to try to use my electric pump in the shower so I grabbed my Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump out of the car and went to work. The hot water significantly reduced the pain, making it possible to get the mastitis to pass. I can't tell you what a relief it was! Kept me out of the emergency room! I still use it whenever I'm away from home and love it for a quick pump when I don't feel like wrestling with the "big" pump, but I'll always keep the Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump on hand for boob emergencies.

Reliable Manual Pump

Comments about Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump:

I've been using this pump occasionally for the past 3 months and I have no complaints. I was given the pump for free thanks to the WIC program and it's really come in handy for date nights. I'm a big fan of Medela products, having used the double electric pump for my first child.

Comfort
      It comes with two nozzles of different sizes depending on the size of your breasts. The plastic is smooth and nick-free. The squeezing part is as effortless as you can get with a manual pump.

It's a little tricky to clean the narrowest parts of the pump, so I usually just hold it under the faucet for an extra minute or so. The rubber seals are delicate, so keep that in mind when you're detaching pieces (I usually just leave them on when I clean the pump). The pump handle itself pops right off the unit for easy cleaning.

I have no complaints. As long as you're only using the pump occasionally, you shouldn't experience any breaks. If you tear a rubber seal, you can buy extras at your local department store.

Versatility
      It takes skill to be able to use a hand pump and do anything else at the same time. I don't recommend it. There is no worse feeling than finishing a pump and then realizing the bottle loosened while you were pumping when it falls off and dumps all of your hard work.

Great suction, great performance...just requires a little patience and hand exercise. Definitely not for mothers who work full-time - you'll need a double electric breast pump or else you'll end up switching to formula.

• Versatility:

Effective at pumping out large quantities of milk!

Comments about Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump:

I have used two electric breast pumps and two manual breast pumps. This manual Medela Harmony pump was by far my favorite to use and happens to be the least expensive!

Comfort
      The soft silicone-shield cup formed well to the breast and created a nice seal. I used this manual pump several times a week. It did get tiresome to hand pump the lever at times, but I was able to extract much larger quantities of milk faster than any electric pump I've ever used. The hand lever allows you to pump slow or fast, or with long or short strokes, mimicking the suck of a real baby and changing a baby's pace unlike any electric pump is able to perform. This allows me to extract anywhere from 4 to 6 ounces of milk from each side in about 20 minutes.

After each use I would rinse this pump with soap and water. I would take it completely apart at least monthly and boil all the pieces for about 5 minutes for sterilization purposes. It is very easy to take apart and put back together. The silicone shield tends to get a filmy build-up of leftover greasy milk particles. I would have to scrub this down with a soapy rag periodically to keep it completely clean.

This pump has lasted me through two babies, pumping for 10 months weekly each time. I really need to replace it now. The shield is warped and discolored, and I feel like the seal isn't as tight and strong as it used to be. I would buy another one of these in a heartbeat. If for any reason you can't pump correctly or there seems to be an air leak, check the white circular plastic disc. It needs to be completely snapped in for it to work properly. If there is a tear in the plastic, it will need to be replaced to work properly. (My pump came with two extra replacements.)

This pump is very easy to use. The directions are straightforward.

• Versatility:

Does what it needs to do!

Comments about Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump:

I'm actually quite happy with this for a pump. I like that they thought to make the lever work two ways - the long side of the handle for a full bout of suction, and the little tab at the top to stimulate letdown. Medela bottles seem to be universally sized so I can attach a cheapie bottle to pump into if need be. I also like that it can be completely dismantled (including the plastic suction part inside the pump handle) to be cleaned and sterilized, and it breaks down in to small enough pieces that it's easy to shove in my diaper bag.

Comfort
      It's about as comfortable as a pump can be. The standard sized flange worked fine for me, but if you need something bigger it's easy to pick up a larger size just about anywhere.

Fully disassembles, it's awesome.

I use mine occasionally, and I'm now on my third kid with it.

Versatility
      It does what it needs to do, no more or no less.

The lever action is actually quite comfortable and doesn't make my hands tired.

A must have!

Comments about Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump:

This pump is an absolute must-have. I've used one since having my first daughter, and I'm currently breast-feeding my third daughter. In the beginning, when I choose to pump daily to stabilize my milk-production, I prefer the ease and effectiveness of an electric pump, but for other purposes this manual pump is a must. It is perfect for long car-rides, when it's easiest to pump a bottle to feed to the baby on the road, rather than stopping to nurse or for pumping enough for a bottle before leaving the baby with a babysitter for a while, or for pumping enough milk to mix with baby's cereal when starting solid foods. It's compact and easy to put together. The parts are easy to clean in the dishwasher. This pump is very effective for a relatively small amount of effort. The only cons are it can be a little pinchy at first, because of how much suction this little thing offers. Also, my first one did eventually get a whole in the rubber part on the handle, which affected the suction, but that wasn't until using it for the second child - definitely worth replacing for the third. Also, this pump can fit different sized breast shields for maximum comfort for all different sized women :). Definitely, definitely a powerful little tool, and a must for a nursing momma!!