Other Fever & Pain Medicines:
Advil

Pros

Cons

• Immediacy:

A port in the storm that turned out to be a safe harbor.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I will be glad when Winter finally blows itself out here in the Midwest.  One evening a few weeks ago, as I carefully walked toward a bus stop, I didn't even feel myself slipping when abruptly I was laying flat on my back, my glasses three feet away and my Metra Smart Card (for bus fare) already being buried under the falling snow.  Took me a while to locate my possessions and find something to pull myself up with (and finish cursing and swearing, of course) but it had been a relatively simple fall and as I limped off to catch the bus, I thought everything would be okay.  By the time I got home, however, my right foot had once again betrayed me and was swelling up in my shoe.  Somehow I had injured it and now was in pain as I limped into the bathroom and plumbed the depths of my medicine cabinet.

Alas, the plastic [Aleve][1] bottle was empty(!) and I didn't think plain old [Bayer Aspirin][2] was enough for this predicament.  Thank Goodness, relentless "tossing" of medical provisions revealed an old bottle of **Advil Gel Caplets**.  These caplets, each containing 200 mg. Ibuprofen, are designed to "kayo" (or at least alleviate) garden-variety aches and pains.  Soothing pain can sometimes have an important therapeutic effect.  I must say that my injured foot -- now rapidly swelling and bruising -- did not look promising that evening.  Visions of E.R. bills which United Healthcare wouldn't pay danced in my head but I spent a week inside, using my [ITouchless Multifunction cane][3] to move around, and dosing myself now and then with these wonderful painkillers.

**MY VIEWPOINT:**

That was less than a month ago, but today my foot has miraculously repaired itself and I am back to normal.  Thank you, God, and I must add another thank-you to Wyeth Laboratories who produce **Advil Gel Caps**.  This is an excellent product but I have to take off a star because of the possible adverse consequences of taking Ibuprofen and consuming alcoholic beverages.  Possible stomach bleeding is another risk compounded by the fact that so many people don't bother to read the label about medications like this before they dose themselves.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Aleve-Pain-Reliever-Fever-Reducer-review-7be75
[2]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Bayer-Aspirin-Pain-Reliever-Safety-Coated-325mg-Caplets-100-ea-review-2bfa0
[3]: http://www.viewpoints.com/iTouchless-Multifunction-Walking-Cane-with-Flashlight-Alarm-Warning-Light-review-4cae3

These are powerful painkillers to help survive an emergency. However, they are no substitute for visiting the doctor to make sure everything is alright, which is what I should have really done.

Easy to take but shouldn't be overone. Read info and warnings on label first.

Immediacy
Quick relief, I don't know what I would have done without them.

not always a fan, but they sure work

I have not always been a fan of Advil in general as sometimes I feel it can be quite rough on the stomach.  That said, I had alot of dental work done in the past year and these Advil liqui gels have proved invaluable to me.  My daughter has taken them for year and has always recommended them - with moderate usage of course.  I think these liqui gels really work much faster than the regular Advil caplets which is great if you are in pain or have a horrible headache.  I find these pills to be a bit pricey, but if you can find a sale and combine it with a coupon stock up as the expiration date is a long time down the road.  Overall I would say these are pills to use in moderation, but if you have a headache, toothache, etc this is a product you will definitely benefit from using.  I have heard there are adverse health effects to using the product, but as with anything else moderation is the key - don't take it any longer than you have to or any more than you have to.

Profile Image

Comments about Advil Liqui-Gels:

I like Advil for pain relief. It seems to help my tension headaches better than other over the counter medicines. I really like these liquid gels, they are small and very easy to swallow. I find two of these works well, if you get an upset stomach easily I would try one. They start working quicker than the normal tablets, maybe it is just my imagination but for me they work better. My pain is gone usually within 20 minutes or so after taking. I do not take with food and my stomach is fine with these pills.

They work very well at relieving pain and relieving it quickly. For me they do not work so well for fevers or flu related aches, but I love them for headaches or muscle aches.

The pills are actually really small and soft since they are liquid gels. They go down very smoothly.

Immediacy
For me I start getting relief in about twenty minutes. I have full relief from pain in less than an hour and my pain stays away for several hours.

My favorite pain relief

from Greenville, SC

Comments about Advil Liqui-Gels:

This is my favorite pain relief. I have always liked Advil better than anything else. When I have pain or a headace I usually try to relieve it naturally first. I use essential oils, drink lots of water, get extra rest, etc. But if that just doesn't cut it I immediately go to my Advil liqui-gels. The gels work much faster for me than the tablets or capsules. I usually feel relief within 20 to 30 minutes. This is much faster than Tylenol, Excedrin, or Aspirin. Advil works great for me and I always keep some in my purse and I'm sure to pack some when we go on vacation. While at the beach last week it was a good thing I had some as my husband was having back pain from the hotel bed. Thankfully the Advil Liqui-gels helped him to be able to enjoy our trip. I would recommended these to anyone who has headaches or pain. They work quickly and don't have negative side effects (unless you take too much). Just don't overdue it. I usually take 2 but if my headache is bad enough I'll take 4. Don't take any more than 4.

• Immediacy:

If only they were gluten free

Comments about Advil Liqui-Gels:

I have always been a fan of Advil for joint and muscle pain. In fact, Advil liquigels were a go-to if I rolled an ankle, slept funny and had a crook in my neck, overextended my knee or wrist, etc., the biggest advantage being that the liquigels allow the medicine to get into your system faster than traditional caplets. However, I found that the liquigels were upsetting my stomach quite regularly. Having celiac disease and knowing that certain other liquigels were safe, I presumed that Advil were as well...only to find out that I was wrong.

Advil makes a statement that people with celiac disease should use Advil caplets, not liquigels, as the liquigels do contain gluten. Why they aren't made with traditional gelatin like others is beyond me. Maybe they thought it was more important to be vegan friendly than gluten free friendly. Regardless, it was a huge disappointment. I am still holding out hope that they will reformulate, but that remains to be seen.

• Immediacy:

Not as good as I would like for the price

from Pennsylvania

Comments about Advil Liqui-Gels:

Advil Liqui-Gels is an anti-inflammatory pain reliever. Any anti-inflammatory tends to make my stomach sick and cramp. These compared to the rest in that aspect even though the package said gentler on stomach. They are expensive compared to most pain relievers I buy. They work about as good as other pain relievers in their category so to me they're really not worth the extra money.

I suffer from back pain from osteoarthritis and get migraine headaches about a week out of the month due to hormone changes. These did help with the pain but not as well as Excedrin or the Equate version.

These are little green capsules. They are larger than I would like. I though the gel capsule may be easier to swallow or go down my throat better but they really didn't.

Immediacy
The fast acting claim really drew me to the product. I like to take something as soon as my headache or pain starts to prevent a full on migraine. However, sometimes I'm out or it just comes on sudden and I need relief fast. These took about a half an hour to kick in and that's what it takes the other pain medicines to work for me.

Great product

Comments about Advil Liqui-Gels:

Advil Liqui-Gels are great. I prefer these over the normal caplets for sure. The liquid gel pills work so much faster than the normal pills do. I take these sometimes when I have a bad backache or toothache. I have tried many over the counter pain relievers over the years for things like backaches, headaches, earaches and such and Advil has always seemed to work really well for those things. I try not to take medicine often, but if I do, I always want something that will work good, but work fast. I know they work faster, but I cannot stand the taste of the liquid medicines, so these gel pills are perfect.

These pills are a little larger, so they are harder to swallow. Really, they are slick so they are easy to swallow, but I get a little nervous with bigger pills, so I think it may just be all in my head that they are harder to swallow.

Immediacy
These pills work ten times faster than the normal pills do. That is definitely one of my favorite things about them.

• Immediacy:

Best Thing To Happen To Advil!

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Advil Liqui-Gels:

I love Advil and use it all the time for various injuries, as well as for cramps and such. The Liqui-Gels are the best thing ever to happen to Advil since the little orange pill was released!

These work incredibly fast, which is essential for everything from muscle strains to menstrual cramps. I've found that these start to provide relief within about half an hour of taking them. I usually only need to take one at a time and they do their job beautifully. Even at a regular dose of two gels this does not give me any side effects or tummy discomfort.

I love that these are super easy to take, and they act fast. They are a constant in my medicine cabinet.

The only thing that I don't like is that they do tend to clump together a bit in the summertime. Not enough so that they are actually melted together but enough that I need to shake the bottle before dispensing in order to separate them.

Overall these are an excellent addition to any medicine cabinet!

Reliable Pain Reliever

Profile Image

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Advil Liqui-Gels:

I love these Advil liquid gel pills for most of my general aches and pains. They are fast acting and small enough to take easily. The liquid form of the medication is faster acting than the comparable solid pain relief pills. I use this over-the-counter medication for headaches, muscle aches and and pains from random accidents such as hitting my head on the heating control compartment if standing up beneath it too quickly to avoid it. I am, at the current time, unable to take the Advil liquid gel pills because I am six and a half months pregnant and pregnant women are advised to avoid taking any form of ibuprofen while pregnant and Advil is ibuprofen. These pills are easy to take and have no taste to them so they can be taken without need for a drink to wash them down. This general pain reliever is very affordable, comes in various size containers and has regular coupons available both in print and online.

• Immediacy:

Advil is my GO-TO for dental pain management.

from Tom Bean, Texas

Comments about Advil Liqui-Gels:

I gave this product a "9" because of my recent dental surgery and the relief it gave me without having to take pill after pill after pill. I was very pleased with it's effectiveness.

It WORKED!! I had extensive surgery due to a jaw infection and, after surgery, was given hydrocodone that I didn't want to take because of the feeling it gave me so, instead, I opted to try Advil Liquid Gels and found that the relief was exceptional and I didn't feel strange.

EAsy to swallow and only twice a day. I love that! Tylenol required taking too many doses and I worried about the use of the product on my liver. Motrin also required more doses but would have worked well, too, but I wanted fewer doses and efficacy.

Immediacy
It did take about 20 minutes for the product to begin it's job but once it was in my system, I didn't allow myself to "get behind" and had relief the entire time I needed it. I was very pleased with this product for my dental work.

Very effective

from Cleveland, OH

Comments about Advil Liqui-Gels:

I try not to take to many medicines unless a doctor says I need to but when I get a headache or fever I need to get rid of it quick especially when I'm at work.

Very effective. Fast acting and you don't have to take a bunch to feel relief. I think the bottle says every 6-8 hours and I usually let 8 hours go by before I take another dose if I need it.

It is easy for me to use. When I was twelve I tried to take a similar pill and had a hard time swallowing it. That would be the only thing I would watch for when taking this medicine the pill is a little larger than others due to the liquid inside. I have heard some people call them horse pills. Make sure you have lots of water.

Immediacy
I cannot believe how quickly it works. I think its because its a liquid capsule so it releases the medicine right away. I begin to feel relief right away which is what I need especially when I'm at work or at home with my kids. They need me so I need to be on my game.

Advil Liquid Gels

Comments about Advil Liqui-Gels:

They are effective for pain, but I really find them tough to swallow! They're too big. Maybe they could be made longer and narrower. I just dread it when it comes time to swallow them! It actually HURTS! I try to flatten them down a little with my teeth, which works okay, except one time I bit through and YUCK!!!!! Even the huge fish oil tablets go down better, because they're not so thick in the middle. Until their shape changes, I won't buy them again.

Comments above.