Other Fever & Pain Medicines:

Excedrin Extra Strength

Pros

Cons

Excedrin Extra Strength Offers a Good Level of Relief

I don’t suffer from headaches very much, but when I do, I will usually reach for one of an assortment of over the counter pain relievers to stop the pain. I usually pick Aleve or one of a few others, but another product that generally works well is **Excedrin Extra Strength**, an inexpensive pain reliever.

**Pain Reliever Commentary:**

Excedrin Extra Strength are used to relieve multiple types of pain. When it comes to pain, I generally experience nothing but headache pain but Excedrin Extra Strength is good for body aches, arthritis, muscle aches, menstrual cramps, toothaches, and more. Whatever type of pain you have, Excedrin Extra Strength is ready to get to the core of the problem and lessen the discomfort.

Excedrin Extra Strength contains aspirin, acetaminophen, and caffeine in its list of active ingredients. The dosage of caffeine is good because it prevents drowsiness and some people even claim they feel more wide awake than usual when they take this product. The caffeine dosage per tablet is about the same as a cup of coffee, so the adult dosage of two tablets is enough to help keep consumers awake and alert. This makes Excedrin Extra Strength a good choice to take during the day, while at work, school, etc.

The most important quality of any pain reliever is its ability to eliminate discomfort and Excedrin Extra Strength is an effective product in this regard. The time it takes to eliminate the pain is relatively fast, although not as quick as that of some of the better pain relievers. I have used this product to eliminate ordinary headache pain and sinus headaches. The adult dosage of two tablets is enough to cut out the pain and keep it away for about six hours. There are no side effects with this product either, unless of course you are allergic to aspirin. The pain is gone when you take Excedrin Extra Strength, and you can resume your day without worry.

Excedrin Extra Strength comes in three different forms: Caplets, tablets, and geltabs. I am most familiar with the tablet form. They are small and easy to take and the manufacturer recommends taking two tablets every six hours, with a glass of water (for adults and children age 12 and up). Children under the age of twelve should consult a physician first. Dosage should not exceed more than eight tablets in a twenty- four hour period.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

** **

Excedrin Extra Strength is a very good pain reliever that eliminates multiple types of pain, costs less than most pain relief tablets, and is sold practically everywhere- even in small corner stores and in some vending machines. I don’t rank Excedrin Extra Strength as one of my all time favorites, but I agree that this is an effective means for pain relief and it should work for most consumers.

Now it's there, now it's gone, now it's back headache medicine

I get headaches.  All kinds of headaches.  My most frequent ones are usually just the old fashioned headache everyone gets.  Often if left alone those turn into migraines.  My last headache, just like [Loveisjoy ][1] I opened my free sample of **Excedrin Tablets Extra Strength.  **There were two tablets, both of which I took first with a large glass of water and then with some [Coke Zero][2] to kick start my relief with caffiene.

The tablets were actually sort of hard to swallow as they have this coating on them. Reading the ad I too saw, "headache relief in just 15 minutes" and thought, ok, I can give it 15 minutes.  11:45 p.m. most of my headache is gone but I can feel it "lingering" in the background, not quite ready to let go. I felt better, but not magic wand waved headache gone better. And, of course, not enough to let me get to sleep.

1:00 AM apparently the **Excedrin Tablets Extra Strength **wore off, as my headache is back and while I had some relief it just wasn't enough.  Now I know I am up for the duration as I can't take my prescribed headache medicine and I am wishing now I had just gone for the big guns, it was too late to play this game.

2:30 AM finally sleep comes, and goes and comes and goes. The headache of course remains.

It's morning, and I am paying for my sleepless night.  The ache still lingers in the front of my head.

**Excedrin Tablets Extra Strength **seem to be pretty good for a regular headache, but for someone like me, I have found the [Excedrin Migraine][3] to be more effective, before the migraine hits, or even to just stop a headache dead in it's tracks.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Excedrin-Tablets-Extra-Strength-50-Tablets-review-92306
[2]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Coke-Zero--26373-reviews
[3]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Excedrin-Migraine-Acetaminophen-Aspirin-and-Caffeine-Coated-Tablets-100-Each-review-3b0d5

Excedrin- Simply the best

from Towson, MD

Comments about Excedrin Extra Strength:

I get frequent headaches and the only product I reach for is Excedrin extra strength. I've tried all the others and Excedrin is the only one that works for me. Luckily, I stock pile it since it was off the market for a while. Thank goodness it's back and still as good as ever. If you asked me what product I couldn't live without, Excedrin would be the one.

Excedrin really is the only product that works for my frequent headaches. One note of caution: I never take it on an empty stomach.

I find the applets very easy to swallow.

Immediacy
It takes about 20 minutes to get to work on me. My husband has quicker results.

Excedrin capsules

Comments about Excedrin Extra Strength:

The Excedrin extra strength tablets are my number one brand when it comes to headaches. I have always suffered from terrible headaches and migraines and have had to try numerous brands and products to find any sort of relief. Part of what works so well for me with these tablets are that they contain caffeine in them which is really good for fighting headaches. I have found when I have a migraine, taking two capsules with a soda (containing caffeine as well) is one of the most effective treatments I have come across short of medicine prescribed by an actual doctor. At this point my household is always well stocked with Excedrin extra strength capsules.

Since they are extra strength I find it best to take them with some crackers.

Immediacy
They are some of the quickest acting tablets I have taken. I have noticed I start to feel relief from them well within a thirty minute period.

My go to pain reliever

from Pittsburgh, PA USA

Comments about Excedrin Extra Strength:

I love Excederine products. They are one of the few brands that I feel really get the job done quickly and effectively. Whenever I feel a migraine coming on or have neck or back pain, I make sure I have Excederine on hand. It is also one of the few products that works well at getting rid of my period cramps. It works fast and does not provide any stomach discomfort. Overall a wonderful product that I highly recommend.

I get extremely painful period cramps and there aren't many non perscription pain relievers that make a dent. Excederine is one that actually provides relief to my cramps. It can also make a dent in even my worst headaches.

The instructions are very easy to follow, and it doesn't get much easier to use than opening a bottle, taking out two pills and putting the cap back on. Even though they have a child resistant cap, it is still fairly easy to get the bottle open and closed which is important when you are in pain.

Immediacy
I find Excederine to be the brand that provides the most immediate relief. It isn't immediate, but it is about as close as you are going to get by taking pain relief in pill form.

• Immediacy:

Maybe the best otc pain reliever!

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Excedrin Extra Strength:

Excedrin Extra Strength is probably the best over-the-counter pain reliever I have used to date. When ever I'm feeling overly sore or tweak a muscle I take a caplet. I tweaked my left lat on a Tuesday and by Thursday I was feeling close to normal. I took 4 caplets in a 36-hour period combined with rest and I was ready to go for my next weight lifting session. I have tried taking Excedrin for a toothache and it had no effect. I tried upping the dosage, but I noticed no change in pain. I later found out that I had an infection and no matter how many Excedrin I would have took it wouldn't have helped my cause. Excedrin has no effect on bacterial infections. I have taken this caplet for headaches and it has stopped them within hours. The only downside to these caplets is that if I take them for longer than a week they start to lose their effectiveness on my body. Because of this I try to limit my Excedrin intake to 3 days once a month.

• Immediacy:

Best all around OTC pain reliever

from Thousand Oaks, CA

Comments about Excedrin Extra Strength:

For aches and pain when it needs to be OTC, there is NOTHING that even comes close! It's mix of pain relievers and caffeine is brilliant. I have used this product since I was a teen and I am in my 50's now. I actually use it in the morning to ease aches and pain and the little burst of energy that the caffeine provides is just perfect to get me going.

A "go to" for migraines.

from Baltimore, MD

Comments about Excedrin Extra Strength:

I have suffered migraines for almost twenty years. I have tried everything from prescription migraine medications to homeopathic treatments to anti-seizure medications in attempts to get rid of my head pain. While Excedrin does not fix every single headache I get (sometimes nothing works but time...) it works on the majority of them. I carry Excedrin with me all of the time and I keep a bottle at work so that I am never without it. This product works better for me than any prescription medication that I have ever tried.

Nothing is perfect, but this is as close as it gets for me! Of the many different types of therapies and treatments that I have tried for headaches, this is the most effective and most reliable that I have found.

I take two with a small amount of food to protect my stomach. Super easy to use.

Immediacy
When you have a migraine, you want instant relief. Nothing does that. However, this works as quickly as anything else and better than anything else for me.

Love this stuff

from Brooke tx

Comments about Excedrin Extra Strength:

I get migraines pretty frequently so I have always used this product. I will get them a few days at a time up to a week. I. use prescribed medication but most of the time I will not use it because it causes drowsiness so I can not take it at work or a lot of other times. I started using Excedrin and its just as effective as prescribed medication and its cheaper too! I definitely recommend this to everyone and would say to try this before you spend too much in special medication.

It works fast and great! I will use this 9 out of 10 times versus my prescription because it works fast and it does not cause drowsiness.

I have never had any problems swallowing any size of pills so to me these are pretty standard and easy to swallow

Immediacy
I take a pill as soon as I start feeling the pain coming to try to avoid a severe migraine. It works pretty quickly. It will usually go into effect within about ten to fifteen minutes.

Excedrin for Knockout Headache Relief

from St. Louis, MO

Comments about Excedrin Extra Strength:

Excedrin is far and away my favorite headache medication. The combination of aspirin, acetaminophen and caffeine is just the perfect witch's brew for getting rid of killer headaches. I have suffered from headaches for much of my life, whether due to hormonal fluctuations, bad pillows or overdosing on sugar, and Excedrin works incredibly quickly to ease head pain and help me resume a normal life.

I have never had a headache so bad that Excedrin could not erase given enough time. I often have horrible, pounding headaches in the mornings if I stay over at a friend's house or at my parents' house because of using pillows I am not used to. As long as I take Excedrin my headache will go away. Other medication is often not as effective, and does not completely alleviate the headache, which results in relapses during the day. This almost never happens with Excedrin.

The pills are ergonomically shaped and coated to go down easily. Two pills and a glass of ice water later and I'm good to go.

Immediacy
Even when my headache is extreme, it rarely takes more than 15 minutes for me to feel the effects of Excedrin. On the other hand, acetaminophen on its own takes closer to half an hour, as does ibuprofen. Excedrin is the quickest working headache relief I have found.

• Immediacy:

Only thing that helps my migraines/headaches!

Comments about Excedrin Extra Strength:

Excedrin is amazing! I get a migraine around once a week and have tried all kinds of things to help them. I used a prescription for a while which worked, but I did not like the side effects at all and now refuse to take it. When I tried excedrin I was shocked at how well it worked since it was just an otc medicine. It is a combination of aspirin, acetaminophen, and caffeine. Something about that cocktail works wonders on my head. I make sure to take it right when I start to feel my headache coming on and it is usually gone within 20 minutes! There are times it doesn't work for no apparent reason or if i take it too long after my migraine has started, but these times are much less often than the times it works. I also like that it works toward the headache, so I can even take this at night if I have a migraine and it does not keep me awake even though it has caffeine. And FYI the ingredients for excedrin extra strength and excedrin migraine are the exact same!

Excellent headache medicine

Comments about Excedrin Extra Strength:

Excedrin provides fast relief for me. It takes about 20 minutes for my headache to vanish after I take it. Fantastic!

Extremely effective product. My headache pain disappears faster with Excedrin than any other headache medicine I've taken.

As easy as reading the directions!

Immediacy
Twenty minutes & my pounding headache is gone!