3.1
Yaz
Yaz Birth Control Pills

Yaz Birth Control Pills

3.1

Yaz is a pretty great pill!

I have been using Yaz for a little over a year and have noticed quite a few wonderful side effects. I have tried a handful of different medications and I would always gain weight or become so nauseated that I would be unable to keep any food down. With Yaz I have noticed no MAJOR negative effects. I found out that it does not cause you to gain weight or did not cause any regular recurring sickness. In addition to this, the duration of my cycle has been literally cut in half. It helped with SLIGHT mood swings too! One final major plus would be that my skin cleared up without even doing any extra work. I normally have issues with medication but with Yaz I have noticed quite a few great things. I do recommend this form of birth control for most females who have had issues in the past with other birth control pills. My only negative comment is I noticed some irregular bleeding. This however did stop and my doctor informed me this was a regular side effect that other patients had reported.

the WORST birth control I have ever taken!

First, let me apologize this review is going to be a wee bit long, but I hope in sharing what I went through, that *maybe* it will help prevent anyone else from experienceing even half of what I did.

I had been taking orthotricyclin for nearly 12 years when I switched insurance providers and was faced with the fact that my preferred BC was not going to be covered, and paying out of pocket was just way too expensive. After discussing the pro's and con's with my doctor, we decided I should try YAZ.

Unfortunately, I didn't listen to the advice or concerns from my friends with the potential side effects that they each had encountered.

The first month, I gained 5 lbs, but I wasn't too concerned, because I had experienced the same thing when I first started taking Orthotricyclin years before and figured I could lose the weight without too much trouble. Also, I noticed I was a bit more moody during my period, but
my skin was looking healthier and my period didnt' change at all so I didn't give it much thought. Sadly, these few perks were not to last.

By the 2nd month I had experienced break through bleeding 3 different times, and when my period finally did show up (2 weeks late - and I've NEVER been irregular) it was horrible! It lasted longer than ever before, was heavier than ever before, and I started noticing the mood swings. And I don't mean the ocassional PMS symptoms. The good days (all 4 or 5 of them) I was desperately in love with my boyfriend, the world, my goals, everything. But the bad days, I would start crying for no reason and would be inconsolable. If I was angry about something, it was over-the-top crazy angry. I was SO irritable and mean I'm lucky I didn't lose friendships or my relationship with my guy.

I called my doctor and she suggested I wait it out a few more months and give my body a chance to adjust, and that most of my complaints should be gone within a month or so. Boy was she WRONG!

By the end of the 3rd month I was having migraines at least 3x a week. I changed my diet, sleep schedule, exercise routine - everything, just to be sure there wasn't some other cause to them.
My irritablity was getting worse, and rather than it lasting the few days during my period, it was lasting all the time. And then the nausea, bloating, fatigue, and dizziness showed up.

Call it stupidity, stubborness, or ill-placed-faith in my doctor and birth control, I continued taking Yaz for 2 more months. It finally reached the breaking point when I was walking to class one day, and experienced this weird numbness tingling sensation go up the entire right side of my body. I sat down right there on the stairs, unable to catch my breath, and was so dizzy I ended up puking. I bailed on class, called my mom, and had her take me to the ER.

They ran every test under the sun, all came back giving me a clean bill of health. I told the doctor my many side effects since the start of taking Yaz, and that was the ONLY thing we could associate the cause of the numbness and dizzyness to.

The very next day I was back in with my OBGYN getting a prescription for my old, tried, and true Orthotricyclin (I'm willing to foot the bill rather than EVER have to experinece what I did while taking YAZ).

It's a year later and I still have a clean bill of health. I'm back to feeling like myself again, the mood swings are completely gone, I lost the 15 lbs I had gained, and I no longer have migraines.
I only wish that I had listened to my girlfriends, or my body sooner.

the WORST birth control I have ever taken!

Comments about Yaz Birth Control Pills:

I only wish that I had listened to my girlfriends, or my body sooner.

Yaz birth control

from Charlotte, NC

Comments about Yaz Birth Control Pills:

Yaz has been very good to me! i have been dating this guy for a long time and sometimes we dont use condoms. I forgot my birth control when i went to visit him and we didnt use a condom afew times (but he did pull out) I was afraid that i would become pregnant since i wasnt on my Yaz. When i got back home, i went to go get more Yaz and started taking it right away! I wasnt pregnant because Yaz works right away, even after you havent used it for about a week or so.

works for acne

from Decatur, AL

Comments about Yaz Birth Control Pills:

I take the generic form of this birth control (Gianvi) for acne and it works great. My dermatologist prescribed this for me because i have tried EVERYTHING to clear up my acne and nothing has really worked. Within a week of taking it I noticed my skin clearing up and the redness and size of my acne becoming less and less. Overall it works great for acne.

Yaz is great if you want two periods every month.

from Senoia, GA

Comments about Yaz Birth Control Pills:

As a mother with 3 children, I want to make sure that I do not become pregnant again until I am ready.  I had a history of nausea as a side effect of stronger birth control pills, so my Dr. prescribed Yaz.  He said Yaz had a different drug than other pills I had taken before  (drospirenone and ethinyl estradiol) but that it would be just as effective for pregnancy prevention.  In addition, he stated that it might help prevent acne (which I do suffer from occasionally) and lesson some PMDD symptoms (which I did not suffer from).

For me, Yaz was effective as a birth control method because I did not become pregnant with normal usage during the year or more that I was on the drug.  I did find my acne to be less severe and less frequent while taking Yaz.  I also did not have as many PMS symptoms as I did when taking other oral contraceptive pills.  I did not notice any soreness in my breasts or have emotional moments that were typical of my previous experiences.  My periods were lighter and lasted fewer days than previously.  However, I did have one side effect that was very bothersome for me.  I would have bleeding and spotting for several days about week before my period was expected.  Then, I would have my period as well.  I found this to be very inconvenient.  I have since switched to a different pill and I am not having that problem anymore.

Yaz lead to bleeding

from Oklahoma City, OK

Comments about Yaz Birth Control Pills:

My doctor switched me to Yaz from Ortho-Tricyclin to me with lighter periods.  At first I thought that Yaz was great.  I read up on all the reviews and side effects when I picked up my prescription and I never experienced any of the problems that were listed.  The pill was a little more expensive but I figured that as long as it was doing what it was suppose to that I would overlook that.  After about a year and half of taking Yaz I started having break through bleeding problems.  At first I thought I was spotting and that it was not a big deal.  After awhile I noticed that it was break through bleeding here and there and then I was on my period for 3 months straight!  Usually the side effects happen in the beginning of when switching to a new product but I was on it for over a year and a half.  Those 3 months were the worst 3 months!!  My doctor ended up switching me to Estrostep, which helped solve my problem.  I am not sure what happened with the Yaz.

Worst side effects - not for all women!!!

from Arlington, VA

Comments about Yaz Birth Control Pills:

One of the reasons I had to take birth control pills was to regulate my period. I was in my twenties and skipped my period for 2-3 months.  It was the first time taking BC pills for me.  The nurse practitioner prescribed me Yaz, telling me that it has a low dose of estrogen.  Well I was hoping that this low dose of hormone would not give me any side effects. Wrong! The worst side effect for me were the headaches/migraines that started about 3-4 months after I first started taking the pills.  They were to the point that I had to drop everything I was doing and just lie down. No medicine would help my headaches and I couldn't even sleep it off, because I felt so much pounding in my head.  I really felt weak and helpless.  Along with the headaches came the serious mood swings. I would become so mad and annoyed at the world for no apparent reason and people would have to suffer my wrath.  This went on for about 9 months until I just had to stop taking them.  The only good thing that came out of the pill was that it did regulate my period and it did increase my boob size from an unfull B cup to almost a full C cup.  I am extremely glad I am off this pill especially after hearing about the lawsuit.  It's been two years since I've taken Yaz and today I am suffering a bit from thinning and loss of hair.  I can't blame it completely on Yaz because I did use another BC pill after it.  But if I had known that my hair would suffer from BC pills, I would never have taken the pills to begin with. Ladies, please do your research before consulting with your physician. And remember to contact your physician immediately if you experience severe side effects.

Worst Pill EVER

from Hillsboro, TX

Comments about Yaz Birth Control Pills:

After I had my second child, I could not get back on the pill I had previously been on. The dosage was too strong and made me very nauseous. So I went back to the doctor and after trying two other pills, he put me on Yaz. I was warned that it would take my body about six months to adjust to the new pill. After six months of use, my body NEVER adjusted to it and I switched pills for good.

I had two main problems with Yaz. The first problem was break through bleeding. If you are not familiar with this, it is basically spotting all month long with NO warning. It was NOT fun and VERY annoying. The second problem I had was it did not regulate my cycle like the pill is supposed. With previous and present birth control, I was able to know the exact time and day I would start. However, with Yaz, I would start on different days each month. This too was very annoying and just plain inconvenient. Minor problems included change in flow from month to month and minor acne breakouts.

no generic, your next best bet

from Travelers Rest, SC

Comments about Yaz Birth Control Pills:

I started taking Yaz after college for birth control.  I never had many of the problems that people go on birth control for: cramps, excessive bleeding, mood swings, breakouts or oily skin, etc.  I found the adjustment period to Yaz to be very diffiult but I now experience very few negative symptoms when taking the pill.  When I first started taking it I felt nauceous for the whole week, had horrible cramps and excessive bleeding.  I am glad that I waited it out because after 3 months all of those symptoms went away.  The pill must be taken at the same time each day which is not a problem for me since my work schedule is the same, and i recommend taking it every day upon waking up.  I do not need to eat food with it, it does not upset my stomach.  I am highly active and don't have any of the health complications, like high blood pressure, that they recommend against you taking Yaz.  Definitley ask your doctor first, there is a whole list of complications that preclude you from taking yaz.

Helps to keep my PMDD under control...much easier to be around!!

from Peru, IL

Comments about Yaz Birth Control Pills:

Yaz was recommended to me by my best friend, who also suffers from PMDD. So I went to my family doctor to ask her what she thought of it. I explained that when it is the week before my period I have some major issues involving my mood swings, irritability and some of the other issues that are tied to PMDD. I had been spoken to by my supervisor at work because of how bad my mood swings and attitude had gotten. I would get these feelings that I couldn't control from uncontrollable desire to start crying for no reason to wanting to literally hurt someone, violently (luckily I never did!). I just wanted to go back to my "normal". I was able to handle regular PMS that I would experience prior to having my children. I just wanted more control over my moods. The doctor started me on YAZ almost a year ago and it has been a life saver. My job is much happier with me and I don't walk around feeling like I'm going to kill someone! I totally recommend YAZ to anyone!!

Yaz is an effective birth control method.

from Lawrenceville, GA

Comments about Yaz Birth Control Pills:

I use birth control for both pregnancy prevention and to relieve extra painful menstrual cramps, and I have taken Yaz for over a year now.  There are 24 active pills and 4 inert reminder pills in each 28 pill pack.  Yaz has been a reliable way for me to not get pregnant (the proof is pretty obvious, lol), and my horrid cramps that used to make me curl up in bed crying are a thing of the past!  I still get a few twinges each period, but that's it!  Yaz is also supposed to prevent mild acne, but I never used to have acne before taking it, so I'm not sure about that.  The fact that it has four instead of seven inactive pills means a shorter period, which is great.  Mine used to be about six or even seven days long, and now that I'm taking Yaz every day, it's down to four days!  Oh, and you have to take it at the same time every day like most birth control pills, but on their website, you can sign up to get a text message every day at the time for you to take your pill, which is really handy!