2.9
Mirena Birth Control IUD

Mirena Birth Control IUD

2.9

Cons

• Preventing pregnancy (3)

Early in the game, love it so far

I know this is a little pre-emptive, but I just got Mirena on 2/23/10. I have had one child (5 years ago) and am in a committed marriage (monogamous...Read complete review

I know this is a little pre-emptive, but I just got Mirena on 2/23/10. I have had one child (5 years ago) and am in a committed marriage (monogamous relationship).

A little background: I've had bad PMS/cramp pain during periods since I got my period when I was 12. Before my daughter was born, I had used condoms and the Depo-Provera shot. Condoms are annoying and I didn't feel like I should have to use them because I was married, and the Depo shot caused weigh gain, extreme moodiness, insomnia, anxiety, and probably many other issues I've since forgotten about (that was 7 years ago).

After I had my child, I did not take b.c. and breastfed for a good 9 months with consistent, normal (not heavy) periods. I though I was cured from the curse of dysmenorrhea (painful, heavy periods).

About a year later I tried regular b.c. pills (estrogen and progestin), which were also causing bad PMS and moodiness. I then tried the NuvaRing, which was awkward and would come out during sex. On the Ring I still had dysmenorrhea.

THEN, my NP suggested a LOW dose b.c., with only progestin and no estrogen. I have been on that continuously (never stopping and taking it every day, no blanks or having periods). This has been my miracle method for over 4 years. I highly recommend this continuous low dose progestin only pill (mine was called Junel 1/20) for people who have dysmenorrhea, but please ASK YOUR DR about it if you have questions!

So why did I decide to go with Mirena, if everything was hunky dory?

Well I found out about 8 months ago that I have Hashimoto's Disorder, which is a thyroid condition involving my body's own antibodies attacking my thyroid gland, causing all the symptoms of HypOthyroidism (not hypErthyroidism, which is the opposite effects). Hypothyroidism effects are caused by low levels of the thyroid hormone. Those effects are everything I have been experiencing for years. Most remarkably, dysmenorrheal (surprise!).

So now that I am being monitored and my body controlled with synthetic thyroid hormone, even though I still am not seeing full results for that treatment, my hope is that my thyroid issues are separate from my period issues and that Mirena's benefits will help me achieve the overall health I seek.

I have known at least two people close to me who use Mirena: They couldn't be happier with it. Their periods stopped (one after about 6 weeks, the other friend at a few months after) Because Mirena's mechanism is so similar to my low-dose, continuous method previously, I think/hope that I will be happy with it. Two days is in is a little early to tell :) I just wanted to share about my history and how other factors (have your thyroid checked!) can influence our womanly issues.

About the insertion: Like I said I have had a child and am in a monogamous relationship, so I am an ideal candidate*. I had never met the NP (Nurse Practitioner) before, and she really talked with me first (my husband also came with me) and told me about the procedure and what to expect, etc. First they measure your uterus (from Fundus [top] to cervix [bottom]). typically women are between 6 and 10 cm. I was 7 1/2. That part lasts less than 10 seconds as far as pain, and for me, on the scale of 1-10, 10 being worst pain ever, it was about a 3. I could not feel when she clamped open the cervix (at all). Then she inserted the IUD, which had the same kind of pain as the measuring part (labor/contraction-like). again, about a 3 on the pain scale MAYBE a 4. (Giving birth was like an 11) And I thought I had a pretty low pain tolerance. I am very sensitive physically, so yeah. So today is Thursday (2 days post-insertion), and I feel just fine, I stopped taking my pills the day after (I did take my last pill the day of in the AM, with my appt being in the afternoon). I had cramping (period-like) for the rest of the day, but not bad at all, it almost felt relieving since I hadn't had a period for years from being on continuous birth control pills. I also had what someone on another site said as a certain "awareness" of the area and that my body seemed like it was adjusting to having something in there. Almost like when you're pregnant and you know there's a baby in there. Anyways, I don't really have that awareness today unless I think about it a lot. I feel physically normal. Because my previous continuous b.c. caused my body to NOT ovulate at all, I'm sure I will have an adjustment time when my body starts ovulating again on a regular basis. My understanding about the mechanisms of the IUD is that it does not prevent ovulation necessarily, but if the body does ovulate the change it creates in the womb basically makes it inhospitable for implantation. Some may have moral reasons why not to use this method because it is possible to ovulate and have a sperm fertilize it, but the egg would not be able to implant inside the womb. This being said, it is possible if fertilization occurs that the egg will implant elsewhere, such as in the fallopian tube, resulting in a tubal, or ectopic, pregnancy. If you believe life starts at conception, this is not the method for you! My opinion on that is, I do believe life starts once the egg is implanted in the womb, otherwise to me it's a normal period where the body rids itself of egg/lining/sperm, what have you. That's just my opinion.

*The website for Mirena specifically says for whom it is recommended for, and people who are not in a monogamous relationship (i.e. have mulitple partners) and have not had a child are NOT ideal candidates for Mirena. I do not understand why providers will recommend this for those who have not had children (your cervix is not soft, so it's GOING to hurt regardless of any precautions) and have multiple partners or not a steady partner (you are very susceptible to infections!). That is NOT a good provider and you should seek a new one! Good providers inform you of EVERYTHING regardless of how they think it will make you feel (don't trust the ones who make everything sound wonderful. Medicine/the health field is NOT all roses, plain and simple.) I am lucky to have extensive medical knowledge and some training, and have been working for and with Physicians for over 7 years. However, please note that what I have said is from personal experience only, and is NOT to be taken as advice. PLEASE, always, ask your Doctor! If your Doctor is a flake and you do not feel comfortable with the information he/she is giving you, SEEK A NEW ONE.

It's taken me over 7 YEARS to find a method that worked for me. Sometimes it takes a LONG time to find what is going to work for your body! So don't be discouraged by all the negative comments you can find on every website about Mirena. I sure was! That is why I'm writing on here. Try googling, instead, "love mirena" and you WILL find a ton of people who are really happy with it. Don't let all these people on here expressing their negative experiences keep you from finding what works for YOU.

I would never belittle the experiences of those who do post their negative effects, as I'm sure they are valid! I do concur that those who post very negative experiences are looking for some consolation that they are not the only ones suffering, and for that reason I'm glad they found some confirmation that Mirena is not right for them. Sincerely I hope those of you who know now this drug is not right for you, that you will find something that is perfect for you and your body.

I do hope that primarily, I do not gain weight. Reading that many people have suffered from moderate weight gain influences me to eat as well as I can, in portion control (which is already my lifestyle) and work out, along with decreasing my stress and being aware if I do gain weight for seemingly no reason. A lot of times, I think that even if we are not eating poorly or in excess, stress still plays a silent role in weight gain (I have a VERY stressful life, details of which I do not feel comfortable discussing in a public forum). Whats more important than pounds, in my humble opinion and experience, is really how you FEEL. If you feel really crummy about your body, it is going to stress you out. That stress, in turn, does lead to not simply overeating, it changes chemicals in your body that may be exacerbating the weight gain. I know, it's a cruel cruel trick and I feel for all of you who have gained weight with no lifestyle changes as far as eating and working out. Sleep also plays a big role in weight, I've found out personally and have read about.

I will try to remember to give an update in a couple months, when I see how Mirena is doing for me. Otherwise, Thank you to all who shared positive results and those who had bad results, I sincerely hope you find the best one for your body!

Mirena took my life away

I had the Mirena IUC inserted 1 year after having my son because I was tired of taking birth control. I had to be on my period to have it put, I deffinitly did not like. When they put it in it wasn't to painful, but I had alot of pain afterwards. About 2days I was pretty uncomfortable then I started my perion again after just getting off of it. After I got off my period I had sex for the first time with my hubby. It was terribly painful and unenjoyable for me, then in the middle of sex my husband was like holy moly...the IUC strings had left big scratches on his penis. So we didnt have sex for a week after that and I was in terrible pain. We tried again and again hurt my hubby and me. Called the doc and told him what was going on and he told me to come in and he trimmed the strings. The next day tried again to have sex and my husband could still feel it, he said it was a big turn off to have his penis racked during sex. We started having sex with a condom to protect my hubby from getting hurt but it still hurt me. I was completly in pain, an emotional reck, gain 15lbs in 2months and my face was severly broken out with acne. I would have rather been dead then to feel the pain I felt, I was sooo depressed. I called my doctor up again and made another appt. Went in the doctors office crying and begging him to please remove it. If I had to have sex with a condom so my hubby didnt get hurt then I diddnt need the Mirena. I told him how bad it was making me feel, I really did not want to live any more because of the emotional roller coaster it sent me on and making my face break out and gain weight. He removed it and I had alot of pain after. I was cramping and bleeding heavily for 10 days. Its been 3weeks since I had it removed and I feel soooo much better. My face has cleared and the weight is starting to slowly come off. My emotions have settled and I can actually enjoy sex again. I would not recommend this unless you are willing to assume the same problems I had. I found out later that women that had Mirena and tried to have a baby after removal had a 30% higher chance of having a miscarriage. I have friends that loved Mirena but I have talked to alot more women that hate it. Please BEWARE if you are thinking about getting Mirena.

Don't do it

from Milwaukee wi

About Me Brand Buyer

Pros

Cons

• Cramps acne back pain spotting

Comments about Mirena Birth Control IUD:

I got the mirena right after I had my son . I would have to say the only plus was not worrying if I was going to get pregnant. Otherwise the worst birth control ever l spotted for almost two years my doctor said it would stop it didn't. I had constant back pain and pressure in my sacral .my hair thinned my nails thinned. I had really bad cystic acne the entire time. I had tingling in my body my left side usually . I lost 15 lbs and most people would be happy with that but i stuggled for two years to try to stay above 100 lbs which I usually weigh about 110. Within a month I started to gain weight finally , my hair grow in thick again and my nails grew stronger . As soon as the removed the Mirena my back pressure went away instantly. I always felt as if I could feel my mirena in me it wasn't comfortable at all. If your thinking about getting it don't it is terrible and the hormones aren't adjusted for bmi. Which is why I feel I had such a hard time with this birth control.

Don't use it.

from Texas

About Me Brand Buyer

Pros

• Little To No Period

Cons

• Acne
      • Depression
      • Headaches
      • Laziness
      • Pain
      • Weight Gain

Comments about Mirena Birth Control IUD:

I am 22, no prior children, I have endometriosis & was told Mirena was the best option. The implementation process was hell. The worst pain I have ever been in. I fainted & had to have a friend pick me up. I left it in for 10 months. Within those 10 months I'd gained 18 pounds (on a 5 foot tall person that's horrible), I was moody, had the worst cramps, hair loss, acne, horrible headaches, the appetite of a sumo wrestler, & didn't want to do anything. I felt lazy and borderline depressed. They don't tell you those side effects for obvious reasons. Yesterday I finally had it removed. Being traumatized by having it put in I about made myself sick with nerves. The removal was quick and painless and I already feel like myself again.

Mirena IUD; Worst Decision I Made!

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Mirena Birth Control IUD:

I wouldn't recommend the Mirena IUD to my worst enemy. I wish I had done my research on the IUD before diving into that decision. I got it put in Febuary 2014. The first 3 months started out great. By May I had my first panic attack at work. From that point on I would have a panic attack almost every night. I would get heart petitions 5 minutes into my workouts. I couldn't work out anymore and have gain a lot of weight. By August I started getting severe lower back pain. To the point where I had to take days off work because I couldn't get out of bed. October, I came down with a lung infection, which baffled the doctor as to how that could be without coming down with a fever first. Every antibiotic she gave me didn't work or I was allergic to. Once I'm able to fight off the lung infection a month later I started having digestive and bowel issues. Issues bad enought for friends, family, and the Internet to tell me to see a doctors immediately. Once I saw the doctor and ran some culture tests. Turns out I'm fine. for months I thought I was dying of simething. I knew there was something not right with me. A friend of mine brought it to my attention that all these things started happening since I got the IUD and that I should do some reaserch. I did and hundreds of women had gone throught the same things as me. By Febuary 2015 I got the IUD taken out. Of course the doctor didn't believe me when I told her that all the things wrong with me was from the IUD. A week after removing the IUD I lost 12 pounds. It's been 2 months and I don't have anymore back pain. I have rarely gotten panic attacks and have lost another 10 pounds. I workout everyday again without hart petitions.
          I just wanted to write this review to warn people of the Mirena IUD. Cause no one should have to go through so much dread and worry day in and day out.

Click on the link below to lean more about the Mirena IUD.

Amazing, had it for 5 years

Comments about Mirena Birth Control IUD:

I had the Mirena for 5 years and strongly recommend it! The putting in process was less than comfortable, felt like I was being stabbed in the uterus, ouch! From month 3 til the 5 years was up no more periods :) I had a few random days a year of spotting but nothing worth a pad or tampon. I did develop two ovarian cysts that ultrasounds were done on but both went away on their own. I sometimes had "time of the month" mood swings but nothing bad. Also random cramping now and then, mild compared to period cramping. I lost the strings about year two and the last two years the Dr. had to use an ultrasound to find the IUD. Since I have not had children the removal process was a bigger ordeal then usual but overall once I have a baby I will get another Mirena. I STRONGLY recommend it. Easy, no worries and very effective!

JUST DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments about Mirena Birth Control IUD:

If I could choose 0 I would. Two words, HORMONAL IMBALANCE waiting to happen. If you cherish your complexion, your hair, your sex drive/life, your lack of vaginal discharge with strange odors, lack of yeast infections, painless womb, etc etc etc then remain the rest of your life without inserting this horrible device within yourself. You're welcome. The past couple of years have been life changing, and not for the better, would rather have another child.

Etopic Pregnancy

Comments about Mirena Birth Control IUD:

Mirena moved on me and I became PG did not know it. It was removed in the ER and a week later I had to have surgery because my tube began to rupture. This was on my daughters first birthday. Now they don't know if we will be able to have children in the future. I almost don't feel human any more. I have to deal with loosing a baby and my right tube.

Best birth control I've ever had.

Comments about Mirena Birth Control IUD:

I have had Mirena for almost 6 months. I got in inserted about a year and a half after having my first child (my OBGYN refuses to insert it if you've never had a child). I took some ibuprofen before hand and there was discomfort but nothing unbearable. Cramping for about 2 weeks (nothing more than moderate period pains), spotting and irregular periods for about 2 months then occasional spotting for another 2-3 months. Now I have no period (used to last about 6 days), no pain, and no spotting! so worth it. I did not gain any weight, and I did not lose my sex drive like I did on the pill. Some times I still get mood swings around the time my period would normally come, but it's no big deal. I'm 22 now and this has been the best birth control I've ever used, and my partner agrees - he doesn't even notice it. #1 tip - make sure you have a great OBGYN and you trust him/her!

Don't ALWAYS look at the negative!

Comments about Mirena Birth Control IUD:

I just had Mirena put in on Monday (8*5*13), and so far have had no problems. My LO is almost 6 months. I had to wait allittle longer to get mine because she was born by c-section. Through the process of healing, all I have read is BAD things about getting the Mirena. Like many other women it scared the BEJESUS outta me! Scared me to the point that an hour before my appointment I almost chickened out! Then my LO got cranky! LOL. Anyways, with that being said (even after the horrible reviews) I went to my appointment anyways. My doctor was AMAZING! He told me the entire process before hand and then talked me through it again as he was putting it in. Honestly, for me the most uncomfortable part was the plastic speculum (sp) that he used like for a PAP. Other than that I felt a TINY pinch when he said I would and that was about it! I had a little cramping that lasted maybe a woping 2 minutes, if that. The cramping to me felt like contractions. Nothing I couldn't handle considering I went 8cm 100% drug free! Any who. I walked home the same day and haven't had any problems. No spotting or anything. I am due to get my period on the 12th. Normally I would get my period a week or so early and haven't yet, and my doctor said I might not. Anyways, I guess what I am getting at is, just because all you see is negative about something doesn't mean that's what will happen to YOU! Everyone is different, and apparently no woman (or not many) are brave enough to write a good review. Well here's my GOOD review. Also ladies, keep in mind that you sign that paper knowing ALL THE BAD, so if for some reason something BAD happens you knew that going in. Don't be mad at your doctor's! I hope my review helps! :-)

I great long term birth control

from Clinton, MS

Comments about Mirena Birth Control IUD:

This is really amazing birth control for those who are sure they don't want more children for at least a few years. It has been wonderful not to think or worry about pregnancy. I was put on Mirena a little over 2 years ago after having my last child. At this point my periods have dwindled down to just spotting once a month for a couple days. I have experienced no abnormal weight gain or any other adverse side effects. I highly recommend this to women who have done well on other types of birth control and want to try something more long term.

Effective birth control with no side effects, for me.

from Mount Holly, NC

Comments about Mirena Birth Control IUD:

I had my first Mirena inserted back in 2007 when I was 35 years old. It was pretty painful to have it put in and I had some cramping the first couple of days, but nothing any worse than regular menstrual cramps. My period was lighter the next couple of months and then I stopped having periods altogether. I never suffered any of the side effects I have heard other women experience. After having the Mirena in for five years, I had it removed and immediately replaced with another Mirena in 2012. It hurt to have it taken out, but not as much as when it was inserted. I again had the light cramping for a couple of days and then everything was back to normal. My gynecologist then told me that in Europe, they typically leave Mirena in for seven years as opposed to the five years that we do here in the US. She suggested that I consider doing the same. Sounds good to me! I have been extremely pleased with Mirena in terms of birth control and the fact that I haven't had a period in over six years now.