Other Birth Controls:
Depo-Provera
Depo-Provera Birth Control Injection

Depo-Provera Birth Control Injection

Cons

• Preventing pregnancy (4)

DEPO-LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT

I have read the other reviews and can honestly say that Depo was the best form of BC for me.  A reveiw like this is helpful but as women we are SO different and no two women are the same, menstrually speaking.  Depo kept me calm and very level headed with no monthly, emotional roller coaster ride.  No periods at all.  I just had my 2nd child and I will be going back on it. I have been on it since 1995. I never worried about getting pregnant when I didn't want to.  It took about 6-9 months to resume a period and about 18 months to get pregnant. The only 3 side effects I noticed were hair loss (not a problem for the mane I have) and I would want to eat a horseabout 1 week before the shot was due.  I did not gain weight.  Lastly, during sexual intercourse it was hard to stay lubricated, so you might have to add something for that.

This was a great, no brainer birth control method for me. When hormones are involved...there is no telling what will work.

3 MONTH LONG PERIOD!!! AFTER 1st SHOT IM DONE!!!

All I can say is never try this shot. My doctor recommended this to me because it was easy and I really didn't have to think about my birth control as a busy 21 year old. Well I decided to get the shot as my first form of birth control. Right away I was not enjoying it, the needle is so increadibly long that at the injection site my muscles underneath felt so bruised for weeks. Before the shot I had a regular period that only lasted 3-4 days and they told me that I would probably no longer get my period since it was so light already. WELL..I have had my period for 3 MONTHS STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went from hardly having to worry about a period to having one all the time, most of the days its heavy bleeding. Me and my boyfriend hardly have sex anymore when we used to have it every single day before I went on birth control. We only have sex on the days when it's light and there's still blood every where so we usually have to go in the shower. I've worn so many tampons I got an infection from so much bleeding. I have hot flashes mind you im only 21 where I break out in a complete visible sweat.

I am due for my next shot tomorrow, and I am not going to get it, I am going to switch forms because of the amount of hell I went through. As my first form of birth control I just basically want to never use it again, but I do not want a baby- EVER! I am so depressed because I have had my period for three months and I miss being intimate with my boyfriend. If you are looking to get this shot I would NEVER recommend it to anyone! PLEASE DO NOT GET IT!

It's your choice to take Depo

from saratoga,Ny

About Me Budget Buyer

Pros

• Every 3 months

Cons

• Moody
  • No sex life
  • Reduces Sensation
  • Spotting my happen

Comments about Depo-Provera Birth Control Injection:

I have been on depo for 7 and half years now but been on and off depo since 2001.I had my 1st child in july of 2001 and after i had him i got on depo was on for about a year and half cause i forgot to get my next shot. I got pregnant within a couple months not even knowing i was until i went back to get my next shot. I was really shocked cause i never got my period back and wasn't trying to get pregnant. After i had my next son i got right back on it for about 5 years. I got on and off depo due to side effects but i didn't have really bad one's.I grained a little weight,moody sometimes,lost interest in sex and it hurt to have as i couldn't stay wet. After 5 years i wanted to get back off depo and i was also being prep for a surgery which they always do blood work.A month after i got off depo i was pregnant again as it was even bigger surprise then my last child.My dr called me and said were going to half to hold off on doing surgery for a while cause your pregnant i dropped the phone as shocked as i was.I picked the phone back up and told him i wasn't but i really was. I never got my period and i decided that after my last one who is almost 8 years old now i am staying on depo so been on depo ever since.Everyone is different when taking the shot and the side effects are not all the same.I have bi-polar and other mental health issues which with the depo it does sometimes make me more depressed but i am dealing with the side effects.I did try the IUD but i bleed so bad on it plus the 3 weeks it was in my body rejected so it came out by itself my drs thought i pulled it out they were crazy.It hurt going and it hurt coming out cause you feel like your in labor when it comes out. I wanted to give everyone a run down of what i have been through cause it doesn't ruin everyone's life's but it depends on your body.I am not planning on getting pregnant again as i have 3 wonderful Boy's which are 14,12 and almost 8.Make your own decision but reviews do help.

This product is my life

from Dubuque, IA

About Me Brand Buyer

Pros

• Comfortable Fit
  • No Period
  • Strong
  • Thin
  • Well Lubricated

Cons

• Slight Bleeding In The Beginning

Comments about Depo-Provera Birth Control Injection:

I first got this shot February 2015. The next day i got my period which lasted for about a month but it was very light, I never had to change my tampon, just in the morning and then done for the day. The only other side effect I had was slight drowsiness but that was only for about a week. I have not gotten my period but occasionally I get a dark brown discharge but that doesn't last, that has happened to me twice. And hey I'm not pregnant, so I do recommend this.

Worst Decision of My Life

from Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Cons

• Increased Acne
    • Moodiness
    • Reduces Sensation
    • Weight Gain

Comments about Depo-Provera Birth Control Injection:

I am a 19 year old female who was recommended to try the Depo shot back at the end of August of 2014. I was heading off to college the week after and decided to try the shot because the previous pill I was on screwed up my period a lot. I was so stupid for not looking up the side effects before agreeing to get this horrible shot.

The first few weeks seemed fine, I felt normal. After that...I gained 15 pounds in two months. I was actually exercising more and eating healthier too. I usually only got a few break outs here and there but this shot gave me the worst acne I have ever had in my life. It was so bad around my lips, chin, and jawline. I am actually surprised my boyfriend wanted to kiss me. Make-up could not cover it and I was so embarrassed to walk back to my room after washing my cover up off at night in the bathroom.

Because of these side effects, my self confidence was shot to bits. Here I was trying to meet people and make the best out of my first year of college, and I looked and felt so unattractive and gross. I felt sad and disgusting which affected my work ethic and then my grades too. I barely wanted to have sex anymore with my boyfriend because I felt so gross and my drive was nonexistant. It really put a strain on our relationship.

I also read a lot of reviews after getting it that it decreases bone density and that overall, it is very bad for you. Also it should not be used for more than two years because it can cause infertility!!!

I refused to go back in to get my second shot but it took a good 3 months to get back to normal. It feels so good to be myself again! Also my skin has completely cleared up and I have lost 7 pounds so far :) I am so much more confident!

In conclusion, DO NOT GET THIS SHOT. Look into it more before you agree to do so. I know that every women is different, but I have not met one person who has had a good experience with it.

Do not recommend

from Bay Area, CA

Comments about Depo-Provera Birth Control Injection:

Depo Provera is very effective at preventing pregnancy

...because it works by making you overweight, unattractive and repelled by the sex act.

I was previously on Nuva Ring for 7 years. I absolutely loved it and would have stayed with it, but unfortunately my new insurance plan did not cover it.

So instead of dealing with the hassle of pills, I opted for the Depo shot. HUGE mistake.

I received my first shot on December 17, 2014. The next week (which was when I was supposed to get my period), I bled very lightly for about three days. After that, I never had a period again. This is the only thing I liked about Depo.

The next month, my normally perfectly clear and healthy skin broke out in acne. I also started to break out on my back.

I also began to lose excessive amounts of hair every time I would take a shower or brush/comb my hair. At first, I wasn't that alarmed since I have very thick hair and had some to spare. Well now my hair is noticeably thinner and I am very unhappy about this.

I gained 15 pounds since first getting the shot, which is ridiculous because I am generally very healthy and active. My eating habits have not changed at all and I cannot seem to work off the extra pounds, no matter what I try.

I noticed that my sex drive has been absolutely killed, which is placing a strain on my marriage. I previously had a very healthy sex life with my husband and now I am literally never in the mood and even repulsed by the idea.

I read the reviews before first getting on Depo yet I did not heed the warnings because I know that every woman's body responds differently. However, this is one case where I wish would have trusted the general consensus because it would have spared me a lot of grief.

I cannot wait for these hormones to wear off. I will definitely NOT be getting my next shot.

I think I will be trying the non-hormone IUD (Paragard) next.

Dissatisfied

Comments about Depo-Provera Birth Control Injection:

BAD BAD BAD BAD! I'm writing this because I don't want anyone to go through what I did.This medication did exactly what it was supposed to in terms of birth control,I did not get pregnant. That should be good, but the struggle I had to go through for it was not worth it in any way shape or form. I am very dissatisfied with it and wish I had researched it before I took it. I took one shot on Jan 22 2014. It is Aug 18 and I'm just now seeing changes on going back to normal. I won't go into detail but here are some side effects I experiences: ABSOLUTELY NO SEX DRIVE/HURT DURING PENETRATION, ACNE, GAINED 30 LBS WHILE EXERCISING AND EATING HEALTHY, VERY MOODY,DIARRHEA, VOMITING,CLAY COLORED STOOL, SEVERELY DEPRESSED, BLOATED, AND SPOTTING. I took this as an easy way out of using regular contraceptives and it almost ruined my relationship with my boyfriend whom I live with. He said I wasn't myself and I didn't feel like it at all. I can't even explain what it feels like to think you are crazy. Finding out it was the hormones gave me a little ease but now that I'm returning to normal and actually feeling happy again I would never go back. Nurses say you should try it twice just to make sure it works, but there is no amount of money or persuasion that would make me do this again. If you take it and it does work well for you, please be careful and take care of yourself or use calcium pills because major loss in bone density is tied to long term users of depo provera.

Works but Too Many Side Effects

from Virginia

Comments about Depo-Provera Birth Control Injection:

If you are like me I have a hard problem remembering to take a pill everyday so my doctor suggested a birth control that is a shot and you only get it every 3 months called Depo. Well I was sold and decided I would try it and it was a long 2 years for me. I am pretty good about handling side effects from medicines but this one I couldn't bare no longer.
        First I must say The Depo shot does prevent pregnancy is why I gave it a 5, and it is easy to receive. My side effects were mild compared to others but my biggest issue was weight gain! I stand 5 feet and when I gain weight it shows and over the 2 year span I think it was an extra 45 pounds. Then there was constipation and mood swings. I guess my mood would be bad gaining that weight and if you are unable to go to the bathroom. This was enough for me to try a different form and leave the Depo shot at the doctors office! I think it is a great idea for those of us who forget the pill but I wasn't willing to stay miserable and keep gaining weight.

Absolute Toxic Scam Turn The Other Way

Comments about Depo-Provera Birth Control Injection:

Please I am begging you lady's out there that are considering getting the depo shot to stop now! My doctor made this seem so simple and easy , I had extreme heavy bleeding and have tried so many pills and depo was the last option. It ruined my life after only 4 shots . I had constant bleeding from it , I never changed my eating habits and gained 20+ pounds, I was losing hair , breaking out , even becoming an emotional wreck. The depo made me bleed for over a year with a two day break if I was lucky. And I recently found out I can't have children now! I have been so depressed and cannot believe how much I have ruined my life over this evil shot! I read the reviews and you lady's have to take the hint that it is no good and toxic and poison to our bodies!

Never Again

Comments about Depo-Provera Birth Control Injection:

I started the birth control shot in May of 2013, the day before my 20th birthday. To say the least, it was a terrible decision.
        The shot was great in some ways. I didn't have my period the entire time I was on it (3 months). My periods were always irregular though. It was also nice to be free from worry about contraception.
        The bad overwhelmed the good though. The first week or so that I was on the shot I had bad headaches. Not migraines, but it was painful. I spotted about halfway through the first month and that continued for about two weeks. I didn't need to wear anything for it. At three weeks on the shot, my biggest problem happened. I became incredibly, terribly, horrifyingly depressed. It was awful. It was the worst summer of my life. I would have died if I hadn't known the shot would last just a few months and that it would (hopefully) end. The depression I got from it didn't wear off immediately after the three months, it took about an extra month, but I figure that's how long it took to work its way totally out of my system.
        It's a side effect that I know doesn't happen to everyone, and often wears off with time, but I wouldn't risk it again for anything. I would say that if you have any history of depression at all, DO NOT risk the shot. NOTHING is worth that. I barely had any instances of what might've been depression. If you're going to try it... Make sure you have someone you know could support you through that kind of pain if it happens. I didn't gain any weight. I started at 120 lb and ended at about 115, actually. I'm 5'5". I got moderate acne while on it as well.

This shot causes major mental issues

Comments about Depo-Provera Birth Control Injection:

I took this shot when i was 16 and it caused extreme irritability, loss of appetite and spotting. I vowed to not take this shot but because of needing some form of contraceptive until i received my Implanon implant i had decided to give this shot another try. WORST mistake ever!!! i received this shot on the 16th or september and i have been an emotional wreck eversince. I go through bouts of depression, not wanting to interact with my daughters. Fatigue, and extreme irritability. Its like the wind blowing, thats how horrible my mood swings are. Im starting to be irritable with my 5 month old and thats when i knew something was wrong. Its the shot!! I would advise NO ONE to get this shot. Especially if you have children, you will be the mom from hell. Atleast i feel thats how i am being and its HORRIBLE...

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!

Comments about Depo-Provera Birth Control Injection:

Oh my goodness, ladies, what a nightmare!!
        I was on the shot for about 3 years, and while I was on it I gained a bunch of weight and had ZERO sex drive. Ok, fine, whatever, I wasn't getting pregnant, so I dealt with it. Finally, my husband and I decided we wanted to start a family, and knowing it would take a while after being on the Depo, I got off and we decided to just see what happened from there, no rush.
        Getting off of Depo has been nothing but a nightmare for me. I wish that I had never started it. A few months after getting off I started to get about every pregnancy symptom you can think of, I mean, my breasts were so sore I could barely walk up the stairs. Of course, I kept testing negative, so I let it go. Then, I started having the WORST emotional spirals I've ever had. I was totally fine while on it, but once it worked it's way out of the system I'm just a mess of emotion. My hormones have just gone insane. I cry at the drop of a hat, I get depressed often, you name it. Then the periods started. I have a period now every two weeks, and they last a good 3-5 days, almost like clockwork... The only good thing to come out of stopping the shot is that I've started losing all the weight I gained while on it.

It's totally not worth it, ladies! Please trust me! I have no idea if I will ever get pregnant now, or how long it will take. Hell, with my emotions the way they've been, I don't even know if I want to get pregnant until my body settles down (IF it ever does)...