Other Refrigerators:
Whirlpool
ED5FVGXWS
Whirlpool Side-by-Side Refrigerator

Whirlpool Side-by-Side Refrigerator

Pros

• Attractive (106)
  • Easy access (93)
  • Energy efficient (81)
  • Holds temperature well (76)
  • Customizable shelving (68)

Cons

• Limited shelving options (17)
  • Bad ice maker (14)
  • Noisy (11)
  • Not cold enough (11)
  • Not energy efficient (10)

• Big families (87)
    • Noise Level:
    • Interior Organization:
    • Temperature Control:
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Casual cook (72), Gourmet chef (21), Avid cook (18)
    • Primary use:
    • Personal (108), Business (9)
    • I received a sample (63), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (44)

A decent product from Whirlpool that has a flaw and an issue.

Most refrigerators these days are decent, capable products in as much as they are basically energy efficient and keep your food from spoiling and still, all have underlying issues. The main one, of course, is the process begun in the 1950's that dealt with planned and perceived obsolescence. In short, it was decided to build all products with a shelf life attached and so products were made with the anticipation of them becoming useless in a short time. With this being the model across the board, everything made is supposed to break meaning the consumer will need to purchase a replacement which in turn will stimulate the economy. So when something breaks there is no need to call it a piece of junk because that is what is supposed to occur. Whirlpool is simply following a business model as they all do and this particular produce is prices fairly but also comes with at least one design flaw and one added expense for the consumer.

Noise Level
This refrigerator is exceptionally quiet and has remained quiet for over a year. In fact, about the only noise you'll hear from it may be the ice dropping into the holding receptacle or the water filling the ice reservoir. Beyond that, very quiet in deed.

Interior Organization
This refrigerator has ample space for the average house hold and the glass shelves are nice for two reasons. First they allow you to see beyond what is visible and secondly because they slide in and out as needed plus they are strong enough to support considerable weight as well as being adjustable The storage on the doors is also a benefit because they are large enough to accommodate gallon sized containers such as milk or bottled water. Quite frankly, on the doors alone are kept milk, juice, all condiments such as salad dressing, ketchup, mustard ... etc as well as tall containers or mixers, beer ... etc and everything fits without a problem. The freezer section could have been thought out a little better. It always seems as though I am forever rearranging or running out of room for the things I purchase. In other words, there isn't enough space or shelves and a single basket at the bottom can't possibly hold every small item that needs a home. The wire shelves also present a bit of a problem due to fall through.

Temperature Control
Based on the fact that our refrigerator remains at the exact settings that the installers set it at and for over a year indicated a well insulated unit to me and because we haven't experienced any spoilage proves that the regulated temperature has not failed. This plus the fact that we have never had a need to defrost due to an over freeze means that all systems a normal and works as expected.

The slide out glass shelves helps a lot because I can simply transfer items to another shelf while cleaning one and continue the process until I've cleaned them all but the crisper and freshness drawers as well as the very bottom of this refrigerator can be a bit of a problem. I usually remove the drawers, which are cumbersome and too large to fit into a standard sink in order to wash the spillages. They are naturally catchalls for anything that falls and all liquid spills will puddle beneath the very bottom drawer. This is tough to get at and is not a pleasant job.

So far so good with one exception. The chute where the ice is dispensed through the door is accompanied by a plastic funnel-like contraption that seems to be designed to direct the ice into the desired container and without it, there is a problem. Actually, the dispenser never held any accuracy for filling a glass with ice but instead, sent quite a bit to the floor. When the funnel became detached for unknown reasons, the situation grew much worse. In the current state, about 1/4 of the ice released ends up on the floor causing a big mess.

needs a little work.

We wont own another Whirpool!

We purchased this side by side w/water and ice in the door when we moved into our new home--we wanted our refrigerator to match our other appliances. Unfortunately, it has been nothing but trouble. We have had repairmen come out 3 times in a year (the frige is less than 2yrs old) to "fix" the problem we are having with it freezing up and leaking water all over the floor. Apparently something in interior freezes up causing the water to build up in the bottom of the freezer. For this to have been fixed and happen over and over again, it appears to me we either have a lemon or there is a flaw in the way it was built and freezes up. The repairmen have told us this is a common problem with Whirpool. If this is the case, I have to wonder why Whirpool doesnt fix this problem? I dont think we will be purchasing any more Whirpool refrigerators.

Interior Organization
The freezer section seems a bit small. Its hard to store a lot of things in this freezer

I absolutely HATE the outside of the refrigerator. I have literallly spent a small fortune on cleaners that say they wont streak on steel doors. They all streak and it makes the outside look just awful. I have found that plain old WD40 works the best in cleaning the doors and itis the ONLY thing that does not streak!

Freezer is too small, the pull out drawers in the frige side stick and are hard to open and close. They have been difficult to open and close since it was brand new

great fridge

from visalia ca

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Attractive Design
  • Customizable Shelving
  • Easy Access
  • Holds Temperature Well
  • Quiet
  • Space For Tall Items

Comments about Whirlpool Side-by-Side Refrigerator:

we purchased the Whirlpool Side-by-Side Refrigerator as our main fridge in the house when our old one gave out. i was a bit hesitant but it seems to have all worked out in the long run. It works great and you cannot hear it at all except when you get ice. It keeps all my food at the right temperatures and my food is always fresh. I love all the adjustable shelves and that i can change and modify how ever I want and how ever works best for our family. We cook a lot so we open n close the fridge a lot and our food remains good. It never seems to let us down and we have not had any problems. I think it is priced well. I would definitely recommend to others

My favorite fridge ever

from Florida

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Attractive Design
    • Customizable Shelving
    • Easy Access
    • Energy Efficient
    • Holds Temperature Well
    • Quiet

Comments about Whirlpool Side-by-Side Refrigerator:

This has to be my favorite fridge ever so much space and its absolutely beautiful

one of the best

from Avondale Az

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Attractive Design
        • Customizable Shelving
        • Energy Efficient
        • Quiet
        • Space For Tall Items

Cons

• Limited Shelving Options

Comments about Whirlpool Side-by-Side Refrigerator:

Well first of all this has too be hands down one of the most amazing appliances i have ever invested in once so ever no questions asked ! Till this day i havent had any issues at all besides running alittle short on room on certain occasions due to having 4 little ones in the house hold all the time but other than that it sure does have its wonders ! anyone who has not yet purchased or is maybe even considering that they want too , Well hopefully you get to read this and maybe it will make you have to definitely think again with all the amazing futures it has ! Basically it has been the best purchase yet it is very energy efficient and keeps your food and everything at the right temps and of course fresh as it would have been the day you put in ! it just sure has its wonders and by far i guarantee that you will not for one second have any doubts or any regrets once you have this one . if i could somehow even go back before i did buy this i honestly would have even bought this sooner than we did

Good

from Saudi

Pros

• Attractive Design
        • Customizable Shelving
        • Easy Access
        • Energy Efficient
        • Holds Temperature Well
        • Quiet

• 2nd Refrigerator
          • Office Fridge
          • Wet Bar

Ths good full

• Personal

I would buy this product again

from Denham Springs, LA

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Attractive Design
          • Customizable Shelving
          • Easy Access
          • Energy Efficient
          • Holds Temperature Well
          • Quiet

Comments about Whirlpool Side-by-Side Refrigerator:

This product is not only a good refrigerator but it is an eye pleasing one as well

Love this!

from Michigan

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Attractive Design
            • Customizable Shelving
            • Easy Access
            • Energy Efficient
            • Holds Temperature Well
            • Quiet

Cons

• Bad Ice Maker
            • Poor Layout

Comments about Whirlpool Side-by-Side Refrigerator:

Works great for a budget, stable temp.. Nice shelving placement

A great Refrigerator

from Tunisia

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Attractive Design
            • Easy Access
            • Energy Efficient
            • Quiet

Comments about Whirlpool Side-by-Side Refrigerator:

No frost refrigerator for big families and attractive design

from Ex.alg

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Attractive Design

Cons

• Flimsy Shelves

Comments about Whirlpool Side-by-Side Refrigerator:

Beautiful and large meet all purposes

• Business

Convenient for a mom

from Colorado springs co

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Attractive Design
              • Easy Access
              • Space For Tall Items

Cons

• Not Cold Enough
              • Unreliable

Comments about Whirlpool Side-by-Side Refrigerator:

Didn't trust the temperature to stay cool enough

I love this fridge

from Clintwood va

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Attractive Design
              • Easy Access
              • Holds Temperature Well
              • Quiet
              • Space For Tall Items

Comments about Whirlpool Side-by-Side Refrigerator:

I love this refrigerator. We have had ours for several years now and have never had any problems out of it. Its quiet. It has plenty of space unlike a few others we looked at. It holds and maintains the temperature very well. There's room for tall items on the shelf and they're very strudy and not flimsy.