Other Baking Goods:

Trader Joe's Steel-Cut Oat Muffins

A hearty oatmeal muffin

from Cherryville, NC

Comments about Trader Joe's Steel-Cut Oat Muffins:

This was a great nutty and hearty breakfast muffin. It's almost as good as homemade in the sense that it's got healthy and wholesome ingredients. It was a little denser than if made in your own kitchen though.

These monster muffins make a major -- healthy -- breakfast.

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Trader Joe's Steel-Cut Oat Muffins:

**MY FIRST REACTION  **

**Trader Joe's** *Flyer* descriptions, "delicious and affordable" and "hearty, healthy ingredients" enhanced my curiosity about his four-to-a-pack **Steel Cut Oat Muffins**.  Pal does our **TJ** shopping errands, and when he came home and dropped the **Oat Muffins** on the counter, I was astounded.

Make that ***mega ***muffins!  ***Muffinissimos grandes****!  *Each quarter-pound muffin *felt* like a meal in itself, although maybe not as "portable" as the **Trader** said.

**THIS MUFFIN & MY EXPERIENCE**

That first huge biteful tasted like oats and more oats, just a little dry for my taste.  I added some healthy margarine.  By the time I'd finished half, I needed a breather.  I couldn't be happier that I'd get 700mg Omega-3 from flax seed IF I could finish the whole thing.  Natural sweetening with honey and molasses pleased me, too, though I'd have liked more than the measly "touch of cinnamon" **TJ **provided.

I decided to bring out more flavor by heating my ***muffinissimo*** in the microwave.  *If you want "portable", DON'T heat this baby!*  "Get a spoon," advised Pal, and that was the way we consumed the rest of the **Steel Cut Oat Muffins** in the following days.

**THE STATS:**

Each **Oat Muffin** has *10 grams Total Fat (4.5 Sat Fat; no Trans)*.  A single muffin also includes *40mg Cholesterol; 410mg Sodium; 57g Total Carbs (Fiber 7g and Sugars 12g); *and* 7 grams of Protein* (yay!).  When all is consumed, you can add 350 Calories (90 of them Fat Calories) to your daily diet plan.

In addition to *Steel-cut Oats* and Whole Rolled Oats, ingredients include *Low Fat Buttermilk, Unbleached Enriched Flour, Brown Sugar, Grade A Low Fat Milk, Unsalted Butter, Clover Honey, Molasses, Wheat Bran, Water, Eggs, Flax Meal, Baking Soda, Flaw Seeds, Cinnamon, Baking Powder, Vanilla Extract, and Salt. *****

**MY VIEWPOINT:**

At a buck apiece, **TJ**'s muffins are very reasonable and virtually constitute a vitamin in each serving.

I'm not sure we'll buy them again.  If we do, I'd be tempted to heat mine, puddle its crumbles with non-fat cream, then add strawberries on top.  Yep.  Just the way I eat my regular servings of cooked oatmeal.