Other Lawn Mowers:
20334
Toro Personal Pace Electric Start Walk Power Mower

Toro Personal Pace Electric Start Walk Power Mower

Mowing Grass is a Little Easier, With Toro

Yard work is something that must be done on a regular basis but it easily ranks as my least favorite task as a homeowner. I avoid performing any type of landscaping until there is absolutely no way I can hold out any longer. I often procrastinate with taking care of my yard for weeks at a time and until recently, I had every reason to avoid the nasty chore of mowing for as long as I could because I had an old, worn- out lawn mower with little power and only basic features. Today, I own a new mower and life is a little bit easier. The mower I now own is the **Toro Recycler Lawn Mower,** a powerful mower that propels itself and mulches with ease. **Lawn Mower Commentary:** This Toro model has a 22 inch cutting area with a steel deck and a 6.5 horsepower engine. It is powered by unleaded gasoline and uses SAE30 motor oil to keep the engine lubricated. The Toro engine uses its patented GTS (Guaranteed to start) system which guarantees to start with one or two pulls of the recoil starter. It is rear- wheel driven except for the automatic, front- wheel drive transmission. To activate this feature, all you do is squeeze the top lever, above the main handle. The more you squeeze and the closer this lever gets to the main handle, the faster the mower will move. Toro refers to this as the "Personal Pace system" because it allows you to control how fast the wheels turn, so that you can adjust it to your own pace. If you don't want to use the transmission, no problem- just don't touch the transmission lever. One of the main reasons I hate mowing grass so much is the sweat that comes with performing a physical task outdoors on a hot day. With this mower, I have a powerful grass- cutting machine with 6.5 horsepower. I can feel a difference when I use this mower. Not only does it attack the grass with greater ease, it is also relatively quiet. I can hear someone calling my name and tell what they are saying without stopping the motor first. Its low noise level made me skeptical at first because it seemed too quiet to be doing an effective job. But my skepticism was short lived when I noticed how quickly and effortlessly it was trimming the grass. The next thing I like about this mower is the automatic transmission. In all my years of mowing grass, I have *never* had the luxury of a self- propelled. With the automatic transmission, I can let the lawn mower do most of the work. Just a squeeze of the lever is all it takes. The front wheel drive kicks in and pulls the unit forward. It's not super- powerful (it cannot pull itself up a steep incline, for example), but it makes a tremendous difference with a yard like mine. Another positive feature is the mulching action of this unit. Even with my extra- tall grass, this lawn mower seems to have little trouble slicing its way through the thick green blades. And there are practically no grass trimmings left when the job is done. The mower grinds up the grass so finely that there is virtually no trace left, in sharp contrast to my old lawn mower which required running over the clippings a second time to grind them up. I don't have to rake or bag the clippings manually with this mower. It takes care of the job completely, in one fell swoop. I have been very satisfied with this lawn mower as a whole, but there is one thing that I wish was different: the discharge. I like having the discharge in the rear, but the discharge opening in this model is too small. The total cutting width is 22 inches, but the discharge opening is only about half that size. Because it is so small, it can easily get clogged. I have experienced this problem most frequently when the grass is a little bit damp. With the grass being wet, it makes it clump together more easily and increases the chances that it will clog the discharge area. When this happens, the lawn mower will likely shut itself off due to the interference in operation caused by the blockage. You have to take the bag off, remove the clog, and then reattach the bag.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Mowing grass is a complete and total pain and I dread it like a visit to the dentist. I hate mowing grass and performing landscaping work in all shapes and forms. But at the same time, I realize that mowing grass is a fact of life and something that must be done whether I like it or not. Toro has, fortunately, helped to relieve some of the annoyances of lawn moving with this self- propelled mulching machine. I can still think of 1,000 things I would rather be doing, but at least I know I can get my yard work taken care of with less sweat and pain than before, thanks to the Toro 6.5 Horsepower Recycler Lawn Mower. It makes a nasty, thankless task a little more bearable.

Toro Personal Pace doesn't live up one pull start guarantee

Before my review, I need to note that I have always been extremely happy with Toro products.  That's why I was happy to spend some extra bucks on a Toro lawnmower.Read complete review

The Toro Personal Pace Mower Model 20032 has some good points and bad points, but overall, the marketing points are way off the mark.  I have had the mower for three weeks and I have used it twice.  The first time, it took 1/2 hour to start it and the second time, it started on the fourth pull and choked out twice after a 90 second warm-up.  I even bought fresh gasoline and a new gas can so that contamination wouldn't be a problem.  The performance in starting is disappointing.  Much less expensive mowers seem to do better.  I'm by no means a small engine expert, but it seems like Toro eliminated the manual primer and choke prematurely.  The machine clearly does not run without significant warm-up.

On the other hand, the personal pace feature is a neat addition.  It works well and helps the user get excellent benefit from the rear wheel drive.  The mower deck is compact and easy to maneuver.  If the mower was easier to start, it would be a much better product.

Corrected initial problems. Mower starts on the first pull.

Handling
needs more powerful motor.

reliable

Reliable, Gets the Job done

Comments about Toro Personal Pace Electric Start Walk Power Mower:

It's nothing fancy really, but it gets the job done. It is pretty simple in terms of how it all works, so that is one of the bonuses to not having some fancy lawn mower. And really it only has one job to do anyway. Tight turns aren't too difficult at all either, and the wheels are pretty solid for that. It can be bumpy, but that may just have more to do with my yard than the actual product. Handles well and won't cause too much or s truggle for you.

No problems here, just try not to go over too much wet or tall grass.

Handling
The handling works pretty well, as it has one of those automatic push handles when going straight that will help you if you want. Probably not the best one for bumpier land, but that wouldn't be expected from this kind of model really.

Has worked fine even after hitting a few bit sticks and such.

Safety
No problems if you're careful as with any mower.

It is straightforward and shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Engine Power
It is fine for what you're paying. It can sometimes just randomly stop depending how tall the grass is, but you can adjust the wheels and such.

• Handling:
  • Safety:
  • Engine Power:

Toro Personal Pace doesn't live up one pull start guarantee

from Stafford, VA

Comments about Toro Personal Pace Electric Start Walk Power Mower:

Corrected initial problems. Mower starts on the first pull.

Handling
needs more powerful motor.

reliable

• Handling:
  • Safety:
  • Engine Power:

Precise & Professional Quality!

from Camarillo, CA

Comments about Toro Personal Pace Electric Start Walk Power Mower:

I love using this mower, the range and weight to push it makes it a pretty efficient mower to use!

While my neighbors are using gardeners I can save so much money with almost BETTER results with the Toro Personal Pace Power Mower,

Its the best

from Washington Mills, NY

Comments about Toro Personal Pace Electric Start Walk Power Mower:

I bought the toro personal pace 5 years ago, its the best push mower I have ever used. Its reliable, fast, smooth and quiet. the engine starts 2nd pull everytime even after a winter. It has the gts feature(garenteed to start) which makes it no hassle to pull it out and start mowing. It also can recycle, bag or shoot. I recommend this highly over any mower. you can literally mow with 1 finger

Personal Pace Problems

from Moline, IL

Comments about Toro Personal Pace Electric Start Walk Power Mower:

Had an older Toro personal pace lawn mower and loved it. Bought the new model 20333 with the blade brake option and it had problems right away. By choice, I purchased the mower from a dealer that sevices Toro's in their own shop and lucky I did. The personal pace option quit right away. Come to find out the problem was a known fault from the manufacturer. After lugging the mower back to the dealer, the unit was fixed free under warranty. Now the mower works as intended. Just wondering how durable this machine will be.

The Toro Personal Pace Lawnmower is one solid piece of machinery

from Saint Louis, MO

Comments about Toro Personal Pace Electric Start Walk Power Mower:

This is by far the BEST walk behind I have EVER used. There are several reasons I love this mower. Everything from the quality parts it is made out of, to the ease of use of the super-unique self propelled option, to the fact that it is rear-wheel drive (a feature that is becoming less and less common), and the fact that the engine is absolute TOP quality.

I don't know if it was the fancy lawn-green color or the name-brand mystique, but I used to be a strict John Deere guy. However, they do command a price. My dad was looking for a nice mower for a reasonable price so he decided to buy one of these Toro mowers. He was so convinced that he pushed and pushed for me to get one until I finally did. Result - best mower I have ever had.

You would think that the unique style of self-propelled mower this is that it would be a pain to use. But it is quite intuitive. It works just by pushing on the main handle-bar. The harder you push the faster it goes. No need to bother fiddling with a speed knob or whatever. This is wonderful.

Additionally, the engine. This uses a Briggs and Stratton engine which, in my opinion, is top in its class. These engines are hard to kill, but if you do run over a patch of high grass and it dies it takes nothing to start it up. 95% of the time it only needs one pull to get it started, with an occasional need for a second. Very tough engine.

Highly recommended!

Great quality and easy to use

from Syracuse, NY

Comments about Toro Personal Pace Electric Start Walk Power Mower:

Bought this mower earlier this summer and had a easy time in mowing grass that was a foot or taller the first time. After we got that under control, the mower has been easier to use in the rest of the yard. The self propel allows for ease of use along with the rear wheel driven motor. I prefer to use the chute to allow the clippings to come out, but it doesn't leave the yard messy or unkept. Still provides a great clean appearance. On days when the grass is short or I'm cutting it taller than normal, the mulching feature proves to be handy as it keeps the yard healthy. Easy to start and also easy to maintain. I have been able to change the oil and air filters, and I'm not a very handy person. Proving to be a good quality product in my 2nd summer of ownership. Good quality product that performs up to my standards.

Great lawnmower!

from Nashville, TN

Comments about Toro Personal Pace Electric Start Walk Power Mower:

Toro makes an incredible lawn mower.  I love this lawn mower more than any other lawn mower I have ever used or owned.  In the past i have purchased an assortment of different lawn mowers that seem to fail after a few years of use.  This lawnmower (so far) is runing great and it doesn't seem to be wareing down.  I love that it is easy to use.  I will never go back to a normal push mower again.  It just seems to glide across the lawn without too much trouble.  I would have of course prefered a riding mower but our fenced in section of the yard just won't fit a riding mower in it.  This mower is great because when I do have to move it into the fenced in part it isn't too heavy to move when lifting it over the rocks.

I also love the price of this mower.  It was by far the best mower for it's price and dependability.  It is also easy to find at a multitude of stores.  If you are looking for a new mower I would definately suggest the Toro.

Toro Electric Start is a life saver!

from Ballston Lake, NY

Comments about Toro Personal Pace Electric Start Walk Power Mower:

The electric start if a true life saver.  I am a petite woman and don't have that much upper body strength.  Paying extra for the electric start for WELL worth the cost.  I enjoy cutting the lawn now and don't consider it a chore.  Toro is a great product.

This is the best mower ever, I've never had a problem.

from Irving, TX

Comments about Toro Personal Pace Electric Start Walk Power Mower:

I have gone through a few mowers, but in the 20 years that I've owned this house, this is only the second mower I have had to buy. The tires didn't strip, (it has a transmission that has given no trouble), it does actually go as fast as I want to walk, (there is no trying to catch up), being disabled, the electric start is a true blessing, and you can choose to blow, bad, or mulch your lawn, and the transition between the 3 is only an open flap. I stand behind the Toro, and so should you.