Other Lawn Mowers:

Craftsman 5.5 hp 22" Deck 2-n-1 Mulch-Side Discharge Push Lawn Mower

Pros

Cons

This lawn mower is great compared to the other lawn mowers

I am reviewing the Craftsman lawn mower.  This mower does a great job cutting the grass. But, it has its pitfalls.  I think my lawn mower is meant to cut small lawns because it overheats if you use this machine for longer than 30 minutes.  In the past, I tried to cut two empty property lots in the same day, but the mower didn't want to run after it got too hot.  So, I had to let it cool down before I could start her up again.  I created a strategy with this mower.  I would cut the grass with the mower for a few minutes, then I would turn it off and prune or rake thereby letting the mower cool down.  In about 30 minutes or so, I would start up the mower and continue mowing the rest of the lawn. Granted, the lawn mower still runs and it is about six years old.  This lawn mower is like my ten-year car.  It gets me to where I want to go, but watch out because it heats up after driving over a certain distance.

Also,  I have a comment about the side discharge.  I don't use a bag to collect the grass clippings.  I just let the mower cut and spit out the gass clippings.  The problem is that the grass clippings get stuck near the escape door.  It gets really clogged when the lawn grass is moist with the morning dew.  I like to cut the grass in the morning when the Texas weather is nice in cool.  Anyway, I learned from a neighbor that I can place a small stick to leave the side discharge door open while you are mowing.  Thus, the dischard door won't have so many grass clippings getting lodge and clogging up your discharge door when you are mowing the lawn.  Basically, you are placing a wedge to pry open the discharge door.

Finally, I like the fact that this lawn mower lets me adjust the height of the wheels.  If my lawn grass is too high and my lawn mower height is too low, then the mower will get jammed with the grass and will not cut the grass.  But, I can raise the height of the mower by re-adjusting the mechanisms found at the wheels to heighted the mower. By God, guess what.  A mower with more height off the floor can cut down really tall grass.  Once I cut down the tall grass, I lower my mower to make the grass really short.

In the end, I would recommend this lawn mower even though it has some problems.  I have used lawn mowers and weed eaters.  None were perfect.  I would like to write a review for weed-eaters, but it's lunch time and I need to take off.

Thanks

Always in the Shop

The Sears Craftsman leaves a lot to be desired. It has been in the repair shop more than it has lived in my shop. Always something going wrong with it. At least it was under warranty so I only had to pay to haul it there.

Great feature

Comments about Craftsman 5.5 hp 22" Deck 2-n-1 Mulch-Side Discharge Push Lawn Mower:

I really like the Craftsman model pictured here because I cut lawns for my business. Most of the lawns I cut I do not need to bag up the grass clippings. This model allows me to just leave a line of the clippings off to the side. This has saved me so much time when cutting larger lawns. This is because I do not have to stop and dump out the bags every few minutes. I also love that it is really easy to push. It has a large enough diameter for cutting that it does not take as long to mow. The only part I do not like as much as my other lawn mowers is that the wheels are not bigger in the back so it makes it a little bit harder to steer and just a tiny bit harder to push. It still does not give my hand cramps to hold down the bar to keep the mower on. Even though I am not that strong I can still easily pull the starter string to get the mower turned on. I recommend this if you do not worry about bagging up your lawn clippings.

• Engine Power:

Easy to use little mower

from Liberty, KY

We got this mower for our oldest child who just moved into his own place with a nice yard that he'll have to cut himself. We bought his THIS unit because we had the same one years ago and it was excellent--easy to maintain, and breeze to push, great power, etc. It took us more than eight years to wear ours out, and that was with lending it out a lot to friends and neighbors. It look a lot of abuse and always came through for us.

Great little mower with a lot of power. Of course, we couldn't use it on really tall grass (like hay height) but it was fine for a weekly lawn cut or even if we let it get a little high--like five inches or so. It breeze right through it with very little push power needed.

Handling
Our kids, by the time they were ten years old, were using this lawn mower with ease and helping us with lawn and garden chores and maintenance. It pushed easily, was light weight, and easy to get into tight corners and tight along walls and edges for a clean cut.

Lasted a long, long time.

Safety
The same as any mower. Just keep your feet from underneath and wear shoes! If you release the handle, the engine will immediately shut off, so accidents are very easy to avoid.

Easy! We only ever had to sharpen the blades every other year and check the oil every few months and do a change once a year (or less).

Engine Power
More than adequate for all our needs.

Had for years

I have been a homeowner for 11 years now. I needed to buy a lawn mower to start maintaining my back yard. I decided on the Craftsman lawn mower because it was reasonably priced and was not too big and bulky for me to use. It is pretty easy to push on the flat part of the yard, but is a little too heavy to push upward on the slant of the yard. It also seems to burn through gasoline fairly quickly, so I recommend always having a gas can filled to keep on hand for refilling the tank. Other than that, this lawn mower has worked very well for many years now. I am going to change the spark plugs on it this year and change the oil so I can get even more years of use out of it. Very durable and reliable, especially on smaller lawns. No rust at all. Craftsman knows how to make products that last.

Handling
Easy to push on flat land. A little heavy to push up hill.

Engine Power
Strong engine, but seems to use a lot of gasoline.

• Engine Power:

my tough simple little lawn mower

This tough little lawn mower has more than done its job for many years on my lawn properties. It is easy to use and understand how to maneuver it to get my lawn just right. It mulches up the grass and leaves nicely as I am using it and I got it on sale at my local menards store and it has been working great for many years.

I can adjust the blade level to how long I want my grass to be cut and it works very well and I get the results I want with my lawn.

Handling
It is very easy to handle mower with easy features to operate and also an easy cleanup.

This is a smaller mower than many but it is very strong and durable and tackles all the jobs it is given.

Safety
I feel safe operating this mower and it has excellent features that make it safe to use even for my teenaged daughters.

I like the simplicity of my mower and everything is located conveniently which makes it easier to use also.

Engine Power
very tough on longer grass even and also mulches up fallen leaves well

• Engine Power:

The Craftsman lawnmower is a great all round mower

from Branford, FL

I really like this Craftsman mower. It does everything I need for a very good price. I mow about three acres with this mower and it does the job well. It starts quickly and even after sitting during the winter months. It mows well thru thick wet grass and sandy areas without problems. If you keep the air filter clean the engine runs fine. Its light enough to put over or in places hard to get at. I change the spark plug every year and keep good oil in it and that seems to keep it running well. The last one I had ran fine for about 6 years and rarely gave me trouble. I really believe I just wore the old one out.  It doesn't have a lot of parts to break and I prefer it with out the self propelled feature as this cuts way down on weght and you can push at whatever speed you're comfortable with. I'm sure that when I wear this one out I will buy another just like it as long as they are still making it.

why did the lead to the spark plug rust off after >year.

from Sacramento, CA

i like this mower because it was inexpensive. it starts like a charm most of the time. it lives in a covered locked shed. after the winter in the shed i went to start it up. new fuel new oil. same spark plug. silly me. i pulled and pulled and pulled on the starting cord. but to no avail. i started looking around on the mower to see if i could find out what was wrong.....well i found it. the lead that attaches to the spark plug is made out of some cheap metal (my mower that is less than a year old) because it has rusted off. i mean off of the spark plug. i threw it away. it was cheap and it started everytime for almost a year.

Great

from Bristol, WI

When we bought this lawn mower we used to always bag the grass because we lived in a house. Now that we are older and live in a trailer we raise the blade a little bit and mulch the grass and it comes out perfect and the grass looks awesome.

Always in the Shop

from Jacksonville, AR

great to use all year long

from West Monroe, LA

This is one of our favorite yard tool. We use it to keep our lawn nice all year long. It is great to mow with and easy even for kids. Can set the cutting height on all four wheels making it easier to keep yard looking great. Also can do special cuts to show our support of our favorite team. (HA-HA). In fall and winter months we use it to keep the leafs mulched up so lawn is still nice. Even keep our elderly neighbors yard kept nice. Saves a lot of time with mulching feature as apposed to having to bag the leaves. One of our best investments. Easily kept up. We have had to do very little maintenance on this mower since we purchased it. Cleans up nicely and stores away so we can easily use it often.

This lawn mower is great compared to the other lawn mowers