Other Bathroom Cleaners:
The Works

Pros

Cons

Daughter recommended- Mother approved.

The Good News:

The Works works!

The Not-so-Good News:

The Good News:

The Works works!

The Not-so-Good News:

Since it is a corrosive, care should be taken when using the product. It comes with several warnings against getting it in the eyes, getting on skin, inhaling it or swallowing it.

I like a clean house- I just don't like keeping it that way so I am always up for trying something new that promises an easy clean. My daughter first recommended The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner a few years ago. I looked everywhere at the time but was unable to find it. I gave up.

I recently found The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner and remembered her recommendation. The packaging says it kills 99.9% of Household Bacteria. That's a plus. It also says that it can remove rust, lime scale and hard water stains. That's another plus. And, it won't harm septic systems. Bingo! The Works comes with an angled bottleneck that makes it easy to squirt the product up under the rim. It is so simple to use: I squirt and then wait. Then, I give my toilet bowl a quick once-over with the toilet brush and I have a sparkling clean toilet bowl. Once in a while I will need to use the product twice, especially if there are hardened stains from inactivity.

The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner has a pleasant smell but don't let the nice fragrance fool you. This product demands some respect.

The Works Disinfectant Toilet Cleaner didn't work for me

I hate to clean toilets almost as much as I hate to wash dishes.  I am always looking around for a more effective toilet cleaner.  I picked up The Works at a closeout discount store. The price was right, and I liked the name and thought it would work well.

I used it to clean two toilets in my home.  It has a dark blue color, but the product is really thin and it doesn't cling to the insides of the toilet bowl.  The strong is really strong, but I didn't mind because I figured if it smells strong, it will work well.  I was wrong.

I let the cleaner sit in both toilets for about 10 minutes and then attempted to scrub them with a regular toilet brush.  I had to really scrub, and the water was still thin and not soapy at all.  I scrubbed each toilet for about two minutes and then flushed.  They were fairly clean but some stains still remained.  I repeated two more times before I achieved the result I was looking for.

I won't be buying The Works toilet cleaner again, it just didn't work very well for me.

Works but at a high cost

from Saint Anne, IL

Comments about The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner:

The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner is a powerful cleaner that does the job quickly. Using this product does come with a price and that is, being exposed to dangerous ingredients that are harmful to ones health. You have to ask yourself what is more important, a toilet bowl that is sparkling clean or risking your health by using this product.

This cleaner does exactly what the name says "Works". We have well water which equals hard water. If I do not clean the toilet often then hard water stains appear and are difficult to remove with my natural cleansers. The Works is the only product I have found that will wipe out the stains. I use only as a last resort due to the products ingredients: Chemicals & Toxins. I compromise my health each time I use it but an ugly toilet bowl is not something I want to look at. A dilemma I struggle with using this product.

This product is extremely pungent in a most offensive way. When I use this product I turn on the air vents in the bathroom. Once I put the product in the toilet bowl, I close the lid then leave the room. Keep your bathroom door closed otherwise the smell travels to other areas of the house.

Best toilet cleaner I've used.

Comments about The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner:

I used to be a huge fan of The Works toilet bowl cleaner...until my store stopped carrying it and I had to find something else to use.

I loved The Works and would still be using it if it was possible. The cleaner is very thick, so all you have to do is put in a small amount around the top of the bowl, give it a few minutes to work its way down, and then brush it out. No scrubbing at all. This product isn't as expensive as some others, so it's also a great value for money.

I clean my toilets and bathrooms fairly often, so they don't need heavy duty scrubbing anyway, but this is a great product that really made my life easier. I've tried to find it again in other stores but can't. I guess it just isn't available in my area any longer.

The Works doesn't have a very strong scent, so there's no problem with feeling like it will knock you down when you go in the bathroom to clean. No fume smell whatsoever.

Great Value Toilet Bowl Cleaner

Comments about The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner:

The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner is a very good and cost effective cleaner for the toilet bowl. It does not cost as much as other leading brands and it quickly cleans, disinfects, and leaves my toilet bowls sparkly clean & fresh smelling. I started buying this brand to save some money and I liked it so much that it is one of my go to brands. I would recommend it for people who don't want to spend more than they need to on bathroom toilet bowl cleaner. I would also recommend it for people with hard water or well water.

This cleaner easily squirts into the toilet bowl and allows you to quickly scrub the bowl and be done. I have hard well water with lots of dissolved iron in it and even with a water softener, my toilet bowls get a rust colored slime on them wherever the water touches the bowl. I use this cleaner once a week to keep my bowls disinfected and looking as clean as possible. It works great and I rarely have to use special chemicals to remove rust stains.

I am very sensitive to perfumed or scented products. I hardly notice that this has a scent. It is mild and pleasant.

Good, inexpensive cleaner

Comments about The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner:

For the price, the works bathroom cleaner is an overall decent product. It cleans everyday dirt and grime well, but for mold and mildew that has been growing for awhile it is not quite strong enough. It has a strong chemical smell, which is the biggest down side.

I have used the works toilet bowl cleaner for cleaning not only toilets, but also showers and sinks as well. I have used it on some pretty awful bathrooms after we had some tenants move out that apparently didn't know what bathroom cleaner was. It was good for cleaning surface mold, mildew, and grime. For the mold and mildew that had growing for probably close to a year it didn't quite do the job, but that was to be expected based on the price.

The works toilet cleaner will certainly win no awards for a good scent. It's not awful, but it's not good. It has a fairly strong chemical smell and for that reason I have quit using it in my home. I have a young child and don't want her exposed to strong chemicals. We use a more natural product now.

The name says it all!

Comments about The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner:

I feel this product was designed very well. It works great and does the job it was made for. Cleaning toilets is a nasty job and anything to help make it easier is a must. I love this product. It smells nice, works well and doesn't cost too much. The bottle is designed in such a way you keep your hands clean while you use it. With its' tilted top you can easily reach in hard to clean areas, especially for cleaning under the rim of the toilet. This is my top choice when it comes to cleaning supplies for the bathroom. It also works great on the outside of toilets for any contents they my miss the target. I would recommend this if you haven't tried it already.I use this whenever I know I am going to clean. Sometimes i also use it in my bathtub for hard to clean spots. I know it wasn't designed for that, but it also works well on tubs. I won't use anything else but this product now. I tried it once and fell in love. My overall opinion of it, it's The Works! See what I did there? =]

It Works!

from MI

Comments about The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner:

The Works has become my go-to brand of toilet bowl cleaner. I have tried many other brands, and The Works seems to be the toughest on hard water stains and getting my toilets to look sparkling clean.

The Works Disenfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner is a thickish liquid that comes in a bottle with a slightly curved spout. You position the spout underneath the inside rim of your toilet bowl, squeeze, and spread the product all the way around the inner rim of the bowl.

I like to let The Works cleaner sit on my toilet for awhile, I don't know if it's necessary, but I feel like it really gets the stains off better if you let it sort of soak on there for awhile.

I have also used the "thick" version of this product, which I do find to work a little bit better, but this does a really great job as well.

I like to follow up The Works with a good scrubbing with my clorox wand, just to really get all the gunk off, and since I have been doing this I have had no trouble with staining or build up inside the toilet bowl.

Decent toilet bowl cleaner

from ND

Comments about The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner:

This product is always reasonably priced, so we tend to buy The Works toilet bowl disinfectant product often. The pros are as follows. The angled head lets you get the liquid under the rim of the toilet. It doesn't squirt out on the floor or anywhere you don't want it to go. Another pro is that is has a decent smell without being completely overwhelming like other cleaners. It doesn't knock you out if you walk out of the bathroom and then come back in a few minutes later. Finally, the blue colored liquid is viscous and stays on the sides of the toilet bowl for a while. Now, some of the cons. I think there really is only one con--this cleaner, although strong, does not remove any water, calcium, or other mineral marks and stains. For me, any cleaner can clean and disinfect, but I haven't found the ONE that can get those hard water stains out. I am sure we will buy this product again for our toilet bowl cleaning issues, but I will continue to search for another product that cleans and can remove mineral stains.

from Hermiston, OR

Comments about The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner:

The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner is worth the very economical price you pay for it. How well it works depends on how dirty the toilet bowl is with hard water stains, rust stains, and water mineral build up. The bottle is easy to open. The neck of the bottle is curved at just the right angle to make it easy when squeezing the bottle to apply the cleaning solution up under the rim of the toilet bowl. The cleaning solution has a pleasant scent. If the toilet bowl only has light stains, mineral build up and rust, a few quick swishes of the toilet bowl brush after letting the solution set for a little while, removes all the dirt and leaves the toilet bowl sparkling clean. I did find that on heavier build up, this product won't remove everything by itself. I have had to use a pumice stone occasionally with this product to get all the build up out of the toilet bowl.

Had to scrub twice and still didn't get the hard water stains

Comments about The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner:

The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner didn't work in my toilet. I was looking for an inexpensive toilet cleaner and picked up a bottle of this product. I definitely got what I paid for. I had to use twice as much and my hard water stains were not even phased by this cleaner. I was so disappointed. I scrubbed and even let the product sit on the stains for an hour before I cleaned a second time. My toilet looked no different. Also, don't make the mistake I did. I left this bottle on the floor by the toilet and it got knocked over. This cleaner ate a nice big hole through my rug and right through the floor. One would think something that strong would be able to clean a toilet but not the case in my situation. As for the scent, it was neutral. I neither liked nor disliked it. It was actually kind of mild smelling. If you have hard water stains, I would not recommend The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner for cleaning your toilet.

The Works Worked for Me! And it cleans grout too.

from Roanoke, VA

Comments about The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner:

I first heard about The Works toilet bowl cleaner from a man who does tile for a living. He said that The Works is what he uses to clean up the grout to make it look as good as new. I had some tile that I needed to clean in the kitchen, so I bought The Works. I used it by squeezing a little on the end of a cleaning toothbrush and scrubbing the grout lines with it. Then I wiped it off with a wet rag. I was absolutely amazed at how clean the grout looked. I did the whole kitchen floor and it really looked as good as new. I love this product for that reason alone. I have used it in my toilet a couple of times and didn't notice it working especially better than any other product that I used. It does have a pretty strong smell which is a downside of it. It does have harsh chemicals in it so do not use it around small children. I was very glad that I decided to purchase The Works and would recommend it to anyone.