4.8

4.8

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

An inexpensive but very good sewing machine!

Comments about Singer Heavy Duty Sewing Machine:

I use heavy Fabrics and Heavy thread and sew for 4 to 5 hours a day on this machine and it has held up very nicely!

Stitch Performance
I use the Straight stich and zig zag stich and they work very well!

Easy to thread, pick stices and load bobbin!

Fabric Handling
I sew with duck cloth. It is as heavy as canvas but sews with no problem. I use an all purpose needle and it goes through 3 to 4 layers easily.

So far, so good!

from Talihina, OK

Comments about Singer Heavy Duty Sewing Machine:

I had a Singer heavy-duty machine for 25 years. I used it like crazy and there were always little things going wrong with it (like the bobbin case cracking, etc.). Well, when the feed dog finally went out, I just decided to get a new one. I didn't want a fancy electronic machine because I sew a lot of denim. And besides, I didn't want to learn to use a new-fangled machine - it would have been like learning to sew all over again. I got this one for a great price on the internet. When I finally got a chance to use it, I really put it through it's paces making props for a play. I even sewed through three layers of thick upholstery fabric with no problem.
The only complication has been that the manual is written at a far too easy level. It doesn't give nearly enough info. I want lots of details, even how to properly clean the machine, and it gives none of that. In fact, this new machine has a few settings my old machine didn't and right off the bat there was something wrong that I couldn't figure out. So I called and the lady on the phone was able to tell me exactly what to do to fix it. She acknowledged that lots of people call with the same problem. It's because that particular setting is NOT in the manual. I had to wait 45 minutes to talk to the nice lady when half a page in the manual could have solved the problem. That's why I didn't give the machine a "Very Good" rating.
It does come with lots of cool little tools that my old one didn't have and that I find very useful, like a special little tool to help get the screw that holds the needle in place tight enough (my old one was just finger turn and sometimes I wouldn't get it tight enough and the needle would fall out). Also, instead of a separate box to keep the little tools in, it has an attached compartment in the front, which is very nice. It also has a new contraption for fool-proof button holes! And it has several new stitches that my old one didn't. Overall, I am thinking it was a good buy.

No problems yet.

The manual could be written more thoroughly.

Fabric Handling
Pretty much like any other low-end machine.

Versatility
I like the ability to sew on thick fabrics and also to have several stitch options without having to learn how to sew all over again.

Nothing really new here.

I am hoping that eventually I will be impressed enough to say Very Good.

• Versatility:

Great machine from beginner to expert

Comments about Singer Heavy Duty Sewing Machine:

Great machine. This one does everything I need, and a few extras that I want.

Stitch Performance
Great! simple to select, simple to adjust. Nice even, straight stitches; Width and length are easily adjustable.

Easy... make sure you understand how to thread the machine. Initially, I had to rethread the bobbin a couple of times because I was missing one of the threading hooks (check this if you are having thread locks on the back of the fabric; 90% of the time, rethreading the machine correctly solves the problem.). Just plug in the machine, and start stitching! Simple out for beginners... but will grow to manage anything you want to do.

Fabric Handling
Tried out soft, lightweight fabrics, knit, lace, heavy denim, and even a suede. No problem at all. I'm pretty picky! The machine needs to hold the fabric securely or you just fight the machine and get really frustrated. This one does a great job!

Versatility
I chose this machine because those that cost less didn't have two features that I think are deal breakers. #1 the needle needs to be adjustable. I can't even imaging setting a zipper with only a center needle. #2 the feed dogs on this machine drop. While you could cover the feed dogs for darning, free motion quilting, etc. I like to be able to adjust them up or down.

I want to teach young girls to sew... the heavy, grey case is well...not that girly. We bought some stickers and dolled it up some so it's cute now. Honestly, when it comes down to it, as much as I like cute, I WANT dependable, reliable, straight even stitches, and the ability to manage my project.

I sewed on many machines... my favorite is my Bernina... Cost can be prohobitive. 2nd favorite, my moms 1960 Singer. Solid, sturdy, and has an absolutely beautiful stitch. This machine is solid and will keep on going.

Great sewing machine!

from Durham, NC

Comments about Singer Heavy Duty Sewing Machine:

I received this sewing machine as a Christmas gift this year and LOVE it! I have sewn only a little bit so I'm basically still a beginner. The machine was very easy to understand- the directions were pretty easy to follow as far as how to thread the bobbin and so on and I have really enjoyed it so far! I like that it has lots of options for stictches without being too overwhelming. Since I plan to sew mainly simple things I think it will be a great fit for my needs. I like the heavy-duty feature of it, as well. It is a heavy machine and feels like it is built to last. I also love the way that it looks sort of vintage/old fashioned in the grey color and more boxey design. I haven't had any trouble with it so far and would definitely recommend it!