Other Rice Cookers & Steamers:

Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker

Pros

Cons

Perfect Rice Everytime...

With just the two of us to cook for now I am having to adjust recipes, methods of cooking and my whole sense of proportions.  The **Rival  RC61** **3-cup Rice Cooker** takes all the guess work out of making rice.  [I wish it could take all of the guess work out of everything else!]Although capable of making up to 6 cups of cooked rice it is better suited for making smaller portions.  The measuring cup that comes with the unit should be used to measure both the rice and water as it has a special markings on it for perfect rice.  A standard measuring cup will not achieve the same results.  Using the cup provided 3/4 cup of uncooked rice will yield 2 1/4 cups of cooked rice.Any variety of rice can be used in the cooker including basmati, black, Arborio, risotto, wild, short and long grain.  Brown rice will take a bit longer to cook.  My favorite is jasmine rice.To prepare the rice, first wash it until the water runs clear indicating that all of the starch has been washed off.  Place the washed rice in the inner pot, add the required water, cover with the see through lid, plug in the unit, switch the cooker on and go about your business.  The cooking light will turn off and the switch will pop up when the rice is done.  Then, the keep warm light should come on.  Don't leave the rice warming for too long though or the bottom will start to dry out.  [Trust me, I learned the hard way.]  If you aren't ready for it to be done just add a little water so it doesn't dry out.Also included with the rice cooker is a steaming basket.  The basket gives the ability to steam vegetables alone or while the rice is cooking.  There are easy to read cook and keep-warm settings with red and yellow indicator lights.  The see through glass lid keeps in moisture while the stay-cool side loop handles keep you from burning fingers.  Good idea!I have always made rice in a saucepan.  I thought having a rice cooker was fluff stuff but I like the cooker a lot.  It is perfect for the two of us yet has the ability to make more if needed.  I'm glad I bought it.

Hate it.

I was looking for a small rice cooker that would cook rice while I was preparing the rest of my meal.  I wanted my rice cooked, but this Rival Rice Cooker RC61 cooks it to mush.  It doesn't even look like rice.  It looks like white oatmeal.  It is horrible.  It is constantly boiling over the side of the cooker, and yes, I did measure right.  I have tried it over and over again thinking I must have done something wrong.  No, it is just a terrible product.  Do not waste your money on this product.

The rice is not even recognizable as rice.  Sometimes it isn't even cooked enough.  I just don't get this product.  It just doesn't do what it claims to do.  The only thing good about it is that the bowl and lid are dishwasher safe.  Yet, you have to clean up the huge mess that is left on the countertop from the liquid that boiled over.

I want to buy another rice cooker, but this rice cooker has turned me against them.  I guess I will eventually buy another one, but for now, I will just cook it on the stove or in the microwave.

Works Great and Looks Good Too

Comments about Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

This is a very good rice cooker. I wanted to buy a rice cooker that wouldn't break the bank and this one fit my needs. It comes at a really good price and it works just as well as if it was one of the more expensive models.

This rice cooker is great when it comes to time. It cooks rice really quickly, much quicker than I thought it would. And the rice always comes out nice and hot and not full of uncooked pieces.

It's very easy to clean this rice cooker. I use only a wet sponge or wet paper towel and in no time at all the rice cooker is as good as new.

This is an incredibly easy rice cooker to use. Just use the settings, which are easy to figure out and you'll have freshly cooked rich in no time at all.

I use this rice cooker a lot and I have yet to have a problem with it.

This is a great looking little rice cooker, which is what I was going for. I have very little counter space and this rice cooker fits nicely.

Works great

Comments about Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

I really love this rice cooker! It's inexpensive and I love the design and color, love anything red for my kitchen. It is so easy to use, you just measure it out add water and go. It comes with a basket to steam veggies on top while your cooking the rice which is terrific! The rice has always come out tasting great and perfectly cooked. It automatically turns off cooking the rice and switches to a warming mode. I loved that feature, it really is a great product in my opinion. I think it looks great, cooks great and it easy to use and clean. I have owned mine for about a year now and so far have no complaints at all with this product. Even if something were to happen and it stopped working I would just go buy other of Rival rc61 6cup rice cooker. I really enjoy this product and I would recommend it for sure. It's very affordable so that makes it even better and worth trying out.

Simple and quick rice maker

from Matthews, NC

Comments about Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

This rice cooker is so easy to use. It's is virtually foolproof. You add the rice and water and push the cook button. It switches over to warm when the rice is cooked. It is a smaller size rice cooker though. I would recommend it for a single couple. If you have a lot of children it wouldn't be able to make enough rice for dinner. Clean up is quick and easy too since the coating of the inside is teflon. There is nothing fancy about this rice cooker, there are no bells and whistles it is a very basic kitchen appliance. It is pretty compact and is easily stored. I think most rice cooks in 20 minutes OR LESS using this rice cooker. My favorite feature is you push the button and don't have to time it or check on it. It's set it and forget it. Sometimes it does leave a crust on the bottom where the rice gets a little crispy. I would buy this rice cooker again because it is so simple to use and easy to clean.

Great multitasker for family meals

Comments about Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

I got one of these last year, and i didn't use it for quite a while, i started using and discovered that it is far more versatile than i ever expected. It makes great Al Dente pasta too and you don't have to worry about boil over.

just make sure its set to cook first, then turn it down to warm after whats in it is done cooking.

the pan lifts out for easy cleaning.

add water, salt, and rice/ or pasta turn on walk away.

I love my Rice Cooker!

Comments about Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

I like to consider myself a decent cook...until it comes to rice. I have always messed it up. I bought this little steamer and it is FANTASTIC! I love how simple it is and the rice is great! Just take the measuring cup that comes with it, fill it once with rice and twice with water...push the button and voila, delicious rice!

SO easy! I bet my 9 year old could make perfect rice!

I love this rice cooker!

Comments about Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

I got this rice cooker for Christmas a few years ago, and I love it! Since I am a student living alone, it's nice because it makes enough rice for me and some leftovers too. It automatically switches to keep warm mode when the rice is done, so it's convenient if you don't want to hover over it in the kitchen. Also, I have made fondue in my dorm with it by using the keep warm mode.

No longer works

from Coronado, CA

Comments about Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

We eat rice several times a week and have tried many different methods, several sized rice cookers and several brands of rice cookers. When I redecorated my kitchen red I found this rice cooker and knew it would be a great addition to my other red kitchen gadgets and decor. Upon first use the rice cooker was great...rice was fluffy and cooked at a decent time. I used it several more times but after about three months it just stopped working. The cook button would push down then pop back up...I had to push the button two to three times before it would stay down and cook but even then the rice wasn't absorbing the water and then the cook button stopped pushing down all together. Its small and a nice red which is hard to find when looking for a red rice cooker. I don't know if maybe we used it too much if there is a such thing. Maybe this cooker is best suited for a small family or one person who doesn't eat rice weekly.

Worked great at first.

with a bit of oil with the rice it cleans out quickly after use.

Just measure and pour...

Didn't last past three months

Small and nice color

easy to set it and forget it

from Hesperia, CA

Comments about Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

This really is a great value for the price. It is easy to use and cooks rice perfectly. Plus I really like the color and design of it. It looks very nice on the kitchen counter. What the picture above does not show is that it also comes with an extra basket that can be set on top of the steamer to steam vegetables at the same time that you are cooking your rice. I love it, its perfect for when you want to make a healthy meal for yourself. It is not very big, so it is not good for when you have a large amount of people to cook for. The vegetable basket is really small so it won't make a lot either. The only thing I hate is that it comes with a special measuring cup that has to be used to measure the rice. You lose the cup you have a problem, guess who lost the cup. I just wish they would give you normal measurements instead of forcing you to use their cup that has no real measurement on it.

I LOVE IT! MUST HAVE

Comments about Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

It's only me and my husband in the house and my husband love rice that we have to have it everyday. Before i met him i was not a fan of rice too much so cooking it was a problem untill i found this product. I love it, it's easy to use, easy to clean and it cooks the rice perfect.

Easy to make rice

from Neptune, NJ

Comments about Rival RC61 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

We love to have rice in our family often with meals. My husband hates amking it the old fashioned way because it often makes a real mess. I found the Rival rice cooker and have been extremely happy with this product and the results it provides. The rice comes out fluffy and ready to eat. There is just enough servings provided so that if we want to have left overs the next day there is enough. The price is reasonable and I wouldnt hesitate to recmmend to someone who enjoys cooking and eating rice.