Other Rice Cookers & Steamers:

Oster Digital Food Steamer and Rice Cooker 5712

Pros

Cons

I am multitasking with my Oster 2-tier food steamer

My sister bought me this electric **Oster 2-tier food steamer (model 5712)** and I've found it to be much better than an old steamer that I had years ago. My old steamer did not cook much at a time and tended to be slow and had to be refilled while cooking. It tends to be user friendly and cooks food nicely without burning it.

**How does the food taste?**

I have steamed meat, rice, and vegetables with this steamer. The chicken came out thoroughly cooked throughout and delicious. The rice was soft and tasty. The broccoli was a bit too crunchy for my taste when I checked it at the allotted time, but I steamed it a bit longer than the recommended time and it tasted just find to me. The size of the slices and individual tastes can make a difference in how long one wishes to cook with a steamer. Once I have tried a particular food and discover any changes that need to be made, I can make a note of that in the owner's manual that gives suggested times for steaming.

**Is it user friendly?**

This **Oster food steamer** has several different parts, but the owner's manual has clear instructions and pictures with recommended times for cooking. The manual gives instructions for steaming rice and grains, vegetables, fish and seafood, meat and eggs (I would have never thought to steam eggs). It also gives helpful hints for reheating breads and leftovers, which I would not have thought to use this to reheat foods, but I will probably take it on our next camping trip to do just that. This could be an alternative to a microwave if a person did not have one available.

The **steamer** itself also has some pictures of various foods that are commonly steamed with recommended cooking times printed on the front. It has four buttons on the front. One is for turning the unit on and off, two are for decreasing or increasing the amount of time you wish to steam, and one is for setting the timer for delayed cooking. I have not tried the delay cooking, but turning the unit on and pressing the up button until I have reached the cook time is rather easy.

The water reservoir is easy to fill before beginning by taking the drip tray out and holding the unit under the tap until you reach the top fill line. If the water level falls below the bottom fill line, adding water while the food is cooking is also easy since it has a water inlet where I may add water without taking any items off the top. The red and green lights will blink and the unit will beep if the unit becomes too low on water.

I have cooked single layers of food and also used the double tier option in this **Oster food steamer**. I will admit that I had my doubts that the steamer would actually be able to cook the top layer, but I was pleasantly surprised. It is best to cook meats on the bottom layer. The multi-tasking mother in me loves to be able to cook twice the amount of food!

This unit is quick to produce steam--35 seconds, so it is important to assemble everything before plugging it in and turning it on. When the steamer has cooked the set amount of time, it will beep for two seconds and then will enter a 1-hour warming mode, which is indicated by a green light. That is a nice feature since I may be cooking other items on the stove or attending to the three kids when the steamer has completed cooking.

**Can it be better than cooking in other ways? **

A steamer might save a bit of money and help me to be healthier. I would think that this little unit would use less electricity than cooking two items on a [full-sized range][1] , but I do not know that for sure. Steaming foods is a healthy was in which to prepare foods, so if you are looking for alternatives to frying, this might be just for you.

**How is it working for me? **

The owner's manual mentions that the **Oster 2-tiered 5712 food steamer** has a 2-year limited warranty and provides an 800 phone number as well as a website (oster dot com). I have not had any problems with my steamer in the year that I have had it.

**The Downside:**

There are not many negatives to this **Oster steamer**, and I think the good features outweigh the bad ones for me, but since this is a review, I'll give my opinion regarding any negatives of the Oster food steamer below:

- **hard to clean if cooking meats** (The bottom of the steamer bowls have numerous grooves and holes that are difficult to clean and I've had to spend a good deal of time cleaning it out after cooking meats, but I think perhaps if I use the rice bowl to cook meats that this problem might be improved dramatically--it would be great if the unit included two rice bowls so that one could be used on the top and one on the bottom at the same time. Unfortunately, the rice bowl is a good bit smaller, so I would not be able to cook the same amount of meat that I do currently if I used a rice bowl.)
- **can burn those who are in a hurry**--the owner's manual mentions to "lift and open cover carefully" and they were not kidding. I now tend to use potholders wait a few minutes after the food is cooked and make sure to remove the lid at an angle to allow trapped water to drip down the side and into the water reservoir. This is definitely not a product for children to use unless they are helping before turning the unit on.
- **fairly large unit**--storage might be an issue with some but the larger size allows me to cook large amounts of food for a family of five. The smaller steamer pan and the rice bowl will fit inside the larger steamer pan, and I tend to place the owner's manual inside of the rice bowl for storing.

**My Viewpoint:**

I have enjoyed cooking tasty and healthy meals using my **Oster double-tiered food steamer**. It allows me to cook two different foods without burning them while I do other things. It may take a while to clean the steamer bowl if cooking meat in one with grooves, but it is a lot easier to clean that than it is for me to clean a pan in which I have burned chicken.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/GE-Range-Model-RB-757-review-dae44

Somewhat disappointing

The Oster Steamer had disappointed me with the plastic trays being plastic and not glass.  Considering you're attempting to cook healthy foods... you don't want to be mixing the plastic with your foods.  Kind of like keeping a bottle of water in high temperatures in your car and drinking it.  It's just simply not a good structure when you can use glass and it would be so much better.  They shouldn't cut corners like that.

Best steamer/rice cooker. Multi tasks and makes life easy.

from Stroudsburg, PA

Comments about Oster Digital Food Steamer and Rice Cooker 5712:

The Oster Digital Food Steamer and Rice Cooker is a great two tiered size quart steamer that can be used to cook and steam all types of food. The great thing about it is that it has an option for delayed cooking, and just like a rice cooker it has an automatic keep warm setting for your food. The Oster Digital Food Steamer makes it easy to cook healthy food if you are on a time crunch or work a lot.

I like to cook my rice, chicken, beef, fish, eggs, vegetables in here. It makes it easy to cook all my meals without me actually having to be in the kitchen for long amounts of time. Even if I walk away from the steamer/rice cooker it never over cooks my food because of the 95 minute timer. And my food never goes cold because of the automatic warmer.

Everything that comes out of this steamer is delicious. I've even made lobster and clams in here when I had company and they came out delicious.

Anyone can use this machine, and it makes cooking dinner at home easy. You never have to go and eat out again because this will cook your food for you.

This steamer makes perfectly steamed and cooked food everything I use it. Nothing is ever overcooked or mushy. You can pretty much make anything in here, and everything always cooks evenly. Even someone who is just learning to cook can use it. It's a great machine for the whole family.

It's easy to clean the plastic containers, all the pieces come apart easily. You can either hand wash the pieces or put them in the dishwasher. If the base gets dirty I just wipe it down with a paper towel and some spray.

It's very each to use, it has digital buttons that you can control how long you are going to be cooking/steaming for.

This is a very durable machine because it's made out of plastic and not glass. If you accidently drop one of the trays it wouldn't break because it's a sturdy plastic. But I don't know what would have if you dropped the base on the floor.

The design of the food steamer is great. I like that it has two trays that stack on top of each other so you can cook your whole dinner in the steamer if you want to. It makes dinner easier and less of a hassle. It also holds a lot of food in it, so you can even use this to make food for a party too. I know a lot of people aren't a fan of the plastic, but I like it because it's easy to clean, and it's very durable.

I love it

Comments about Oster Digital Food Steamer and Rice Cooker 5712:

It is my new favourite cooking kitchen appliance. I recently been trying Asian food and this Oster Digital Food Steamer and Rice Cooker is absolutely perfect for that. With its large 2-tier capacity, it provides two stackable, transparent steaming bowls which allow you to cook different foods without experiencing any intermingling of flavours. So it allows you to be flexible whilst cooking and its hassle free, you no longer have to constantly keep an eye on you food to check if it is burning nor do you have to stir it or turn over the food. My chicken cooked through perfectly, the fish and the vegetables were tender, and the rice was always perfect. And clean up afterwards is a breeze as the plastic containers are easy to wash, but the drip pan does fill up quickly and when full it’s a tricky task of being careful not to spill it. Even though this Oster Digital Food Steamer included a recipe book, the cooking directions and times are all approximate, so there is some guess work involved. I highly recommend getting your very own food steamer as you will be eating healthier without having to spend so much time preparing the food and cleaning so many pots and pans afterwards.

Healthy and easy to use!

from Indiana

Comments about Oster Digital Food Steamer and Rice Cooker 5712:

I have really enjoyed using this steamer for my cooking. Vegetables, rice, and seafood are all very delicious and well cooked using this steamer. I would have given this a higher rating if only the plastic steamer portion was made out of glass for both health and durability and cleaning reasons.

This steamer is easy to use and pretty quick. It's not near as fast as a microwave, but much heathier!

There are lots of pieces so cleaning isn't the easiest, but it's not super hard either. I do with the pieces were made out of glass so that they could go in the dishwasher without getting scratched up and cloudy.

This steamer is really very easy to use. It comes with a nice instruction booklet that helps you put it together and has plenty of recipes for you to try out.

I would have rated this higher if it weren't made completely out of plastic. I would really prefer if this was made out of a metal construction, with glass trays on the inside. That said, the plastic does not feel flimsy and I haven't had any issues with construction thus far.

My favorite Steamer!

Comments about Oster Digital Food Steamer and Rice Cooker 5712:

I am always looking for ways to eat healthy so I decided to buy the Oster Digital Food Steamer and Rice Cooker 5712. I did a lot of research online, read a ton of reviews and then purchased this steamer and rice cooker. I absolutely love it!

Although I rarely use this for making rice, this is a prefect steamer! I have used this steamer to prepare a variety of entrees and side dishes. I have tried making wild-caught fish, farm-raised chicken and a large variety of fresh or frozen vegetables, including artichokes, asparagus, summer squash, red potatoes, and so much more. This works equally well for meat, poultry and veggies! I tried making rice a couple of times and it turned out quite well.

I am very fond of dimsums so I tried making some in this steamer and this works perfectly for making them as well! Nothing sticks and it is so quick. I make at least 25 in one go thanks to the two tier design! I have definitely started eating healthier since I bought this steamer. A must try if you are open to steamed food!

Love it!

from Chapel Hill, NC

Comments about Oster Digital Food Steamer and Rice Cooker 5712:

The Oster Digital Food Steamer and Rice Cooker is the second rice cooker we purchased for our household, after the first one, from a different company, broke down, after a couple of years of use. OMG, how did we even survive before the Oster Digital Food Steamer and Rice Cooker became a member of our household?! The Oster Steamer is a multi-purpose, versatile and extremely user-friendly appliance, especially for families that have very demanding schedules. At the end of an extremely tiring day at work, it is very gratifying to pull out meat, marinated the night before, from the fridge and simply toss it into this food steamer. Throw in some veggies on the side of the meat in the Oster steamer, slice out some bread and you have dinner ready in a jiffy. The food cooks to perfection in the Oster Food Steamer practically unsupervised, thus freeing you up to do laundry or dishes while dinner is cooking. I would definitely recommend this product to everyone.

Great for Fish

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Oster Digital Food Steamer and Rice Cooker 5712:

I received this as gift and I frankly wasn't sure I'd ever use it. I just wasn't sure I actually needed yet another appliance. However, once I tried it I fell in love!

I love seafood and chicken but it can be tricky to get it to the right temperature for safety while still having a moist texture. I really like that I can just pop in my scallops or chicken breast, set the timer, and let it go to work. I can do other things around the kitchen and when I hear the beep I know I have fresh, perfectly cooked dinner to look forward to.

I also like that I can cook the accompanying veggies, rice, or potatoes with this. This is absolutely awesome at steaming spinach as well so you get fully cooked spinach that isn't waterlogged.

This is surprisingly easy to clean as well. I always hand wash mine and it just washes up very easily and quickly. There is never any cooked on food so no scrubbing is involved.

If you eat a lot of fish or veggies this is a great investment. It makes cooking everything super simple and everything comes out perfectly cooked. I definitely recommend it.

Really incredible steamer, our food has never been more juicy

Comments about Oster Digital Food Steamer and Rice Cooker 5712:

Tremendous steamer, really excellent for all types of food. The rice always seems to turn out just right too, really perfect cooking machine.

Superior performance at all levels. Cooks quickly and thoroughly without a sticky mess to attend to afterwards. Highly efficient and never cooks incorrectly. Absolute cooking masterpiece.

This baby cleans up like ajax. No mess or crazy cleaning procedures, just disconnect, separate the parts and clean. Fits easily into our dishwasher as well, very compact.

Never a complication with usage. The digital display and easy to use button allow for quick and simple preparation and cooking. Really well put together machine.

No problems with durability. Our toddler loves to throw bottles and what not around, always finds a target somewhere. Hit bulls eye a few times on the steamer, not even hiccup in performance.

Very well designed, fits nicely with our other appliances and blends in really well with the other kitchen items. Very modern.

Great for healthier meals

from Nesconset, NY

Comments about Oster Digital Food Steamer and Rice Cooker 5712:

The oster digital steamer and rice cooker is pretty new to me., but so far so good. I have a steamer that's great, but when I received this one as a gift, it looked very different to others I've seen and wanted to use it immediately. What I love about the oster steamer is I don't have to defrost the meat all the time when I want to make something like chicken and rice. I set it and maybe do a little work for half the cooking time. Then halfway through, throw in the rice and some seasonings and it's not too long after that everything is ready. I don't have to worry about the rice sticking to the bottom of the pan or anything burning. You can see through the cooker how much water is in the steamer. The best part is everything always comes out tasting great with hardly any fat in it. I'm very happy with this food and rice steamer. Clean up is moderate. It's not exactly a ten second clean up, but considering how much it does, it's not much to clean and not hard to take apart at all. I would definitely recommend this.

Great Steamer!

Comments about Oster Digital Food Steamer and Rice Cooker 5712:

I received this steamer as a birthday present. At first it just sat in my cabinet. However, once I got enough courage to try cooking my food via steam method, I really enjoy using it. The instructions are simple and easy to follow. I was cooking with it within 20 minutes of taking it out of the box and reading directions.

I first tried cooking chicken in it. It came out good, but I really do prefer chicken baked. However, I LOVE using this steamer for cooking salmon. I marinate the salmon for a few hours in the refrigerator first and then steam it. The fish comes out so flaky, moist, and flavorful. Normally fish never turns out well for me at all. Rice also turns out very well in this steamer. It comes out light and fluffy, instead of the mush that happens so often on the stove-top!

My favorite feature is the tiers on this steamer! It makes a meal come together so quickly! You can cook meat/fish and veggies or rice all at once, which is very helpful on a busy night.

The BEST Steamer

Comments about Oster Digital Food Steamer and Rice Cooker 5712:

I bought this steamer years ago and would never go without it. I have had numerous other steamers over the last 15 years and nothing compares to the performance of this unit. The capacity is excellent and is very important for my large family. I can steam large quantities of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots to perfection. I love the digital timer controls. I can set the unit and not worry about over steaming. The plastic containers are made very durable and the entire unit cleans very easily.

This is the best steamer I have ever used in my life. I never worry about over steaming my food. The unit has excellent capacity and is very efficient.

The plastic containers clean with ease. I have never put them in a dishwasher but would expect them to clean the same. The base unit can get hot so use care when draining and cleaning. I love the lower drip pan cover for collecting excess drip water.

The digital touch controls are very easy to program and operate.

I only hand clean this unit. I am not a fan of a dishwasher. I have had this unit for a couple years without issue.

Very nice design with excellent capacity.