3.4

3.4

Pros

Cons

Too long to wait

Rakuten.com is a tricky place to shop. They have a lot of products to choose from and a few really decent deals but there are also some down sides to shopping at this site. The good things about this site are... First and foremost, the overall product selection is really good. They have a pretty wide range of products in a wide range of categories. They also have refurbished products with a deeper discounted price. That can be useful if you don't mind used or refurbished items. Last but not least, they have a decent selection of tablet computers to choose from at really good prices and often times, free shipping as well. Now. for the down side... Even though Rakuten has a really good selection of products, the greater majority of them are over priced. The best deals they actually have to offer is the refurbished tablet computers. Also, even though they ship out in a day or two, you generally won't get your order for 4 weeks or so. They do have free shipping on many items but their overall prices on the greater majority of products aren't really worth the wait or the price. The site has some good deals though, browse very closely and you'd be surprised what a good deal you may find.

Luring in customers with false intentions

Rakuten has a 4.4 star rating from google somehow. They are considered a "trusted" reseller. I ordered an item with 2-day shipping because they offered it at $5. I thought, "gee, how can I pass this up? Amazon Prime offered the same product at a higher price, but as long as I get the product in 2 days, I'll be fine. Well the purchase went through and the product was sent to UPS within an hour. Great so far. Then I notice the shipping on the tracking app from UPS - "Ground Shipping." From across the country. I let it ride - maybe I was mistaken. The next day I notice that it still hasn't left the state from which it was sent. I found their number - (800) 800-0800 - call and the customer service agent says, "oh, no, don't pay attention to the tracking - it will be there by the end of the day tomorrow. And if not, we'll refund you your $5!" Well it sounded shifty, and sure enough, the tracking for the item this morning - on the day it was to be delivered - said it had just left the state on a truck. I might be able to get it in two more days, but at this point I am furious. I did not want the item in 4-5 business days. If I had, I would not necessarily have gone with Rakuten. But now I feel as if I were lured into buying something from them under false pretenses. My wife cannot see this item and now someone from UPS is going to ruin her surprise on Friday, when I needed to start preparing it today. This is terriffic. So I contact them today and the returns girl refuses to deal with my problem and connects me with their shipping dept? The poor shipping dept girl (whom I could not understand due to their heavy Indian accents and poor microphones) ended up hearing me unload all this on her, but she couldn't do anything. I don't know if or when I will be receiving a refund - I don't know if the UPS truck can be prevented from stopping by on Friday. But they ruined everything because they shipped it ground when I paid for expedited.

Very Disappointing

Comments about Rakuten.com:

Great prices negated by obscene shipping costs...it's akin to bait and switch. I had 5 items totaling $178. Upon checkout I found that the shipping charge on 1 small box was $100! I thought it was a mistake and filled out a contact form. I have yet to receive a response.

Website seems fast and relatively intuitive.

Product Selection
Satisfied

Product Pricing
Shipping costs negate product pricing.

Customer Service
Sent contact form 5 days ago with no reply.

Shipping and Returns
Shipping costs were prohibitive

Awful

Comments about Rakuten.com:

I have no idea how they get good ratings from anyone. This is a horrible company to deal with. Won't respond to emails or voice mails. Says they have items in stock only to find out they don't. Trying to get information on what's going on with your order is next to impossible. Trying to get a refund is next to impossible. All I can say is BEWARE of good reviews. They don't care about customer service.

Can't rate what you can't get.

Product Selection
Have good selection but getting what you want is a joke.

Customer Service
HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!

Shipping and Returns
Awful

Luring in customers with false intentions

Too long to wait

from Syracuse, New York

• Shipping and Returns:

Great for online shopping.

from Eugene Oregon

Comments about Rakuten.com:

Rakuten.com should be one of the first sites you check when shopping online. I really enjoy just browsing through all the good deals and neat products that are available on this website. This was formerly know as Buy.com before taking on the present moniker. There is always a wide variety of merchandise that's available. They offer great prices and give you rewards on top of your purchases. My most recent purchase was a package of 18 (3x6) Duracell AAA rechargeable batteries for a great price with free shipping. They were also having an extra rewards special so I'm now able to get some outlet/plug safety covers to help with the baby proofing. I recommend subscribing to their email to say up to date on all the best deals each day. I was also quite impressed that they followed up afterward to see that I was satisfied with my purchase. To which i was. My order was delivered pretty quickly and exactly what I expected.

Great Deals

from Auburn, WA

Comments about Rakuten.com:

I have been purchasing from this site for at least the last five or more years. They used to be called by a different name (Buy.Com), but even with the name change the quality of service has stayed the same. I can always find what I am looking for at a great price. I like that they stand behind their products and if you have a problem they resolve it quickly and to your satisfaction. They also have an incentive program that you earn rewards on each purchase you make. They are called Super Points. The rewards can be used on future purchases just like cash. I like that a site values their customers enough to offer that benefit. They have a great email program also to keep you up to date on sales and special deals. This site is similar to Amazon in that it is a market place for many sellers/businesses which provides a broader range of products to select from. I would highly recommend this site.

Formerly known as Buy.com

from Downers Grove, IL

Comments about Rakuten.com:

I use to shop at Buy.com a lot. It is now owned by Rakuten which resulted in a name change. In terms of layout and design, it looks relatively similar to Buy.com. If you're familiar with Amazon's site, than Rakuten's site will feel familiar. Prices are low and many items offer free shipping. One of the best perks of Rakuten is their free rewards program: Rakuten Super Points. You get a point for every dollar spent. 100 points converts to $1 that you can use for future purchases. Essentially, you're getting 1% back on top of the cash back you may get from using your credit card and using a referral site. This is a great way to rewards shoppers and keep them coming back to the site. Similar to Amazon, most items have different sellers to choose from. Not everything will be shipped and sold through Rakuten. They have third party merchants and sometimes they'll offer the lowest price. Overall, Rakuten is a solid one-stop shopping destination.

Shop at your own risk.

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Rakuten.com:

I shopped on Rakuten (Buy.com) in the past and never had a problem. The site appears a bit cluttered, but does run smoothly. Prices aren't the greatest, but they usually have a item that's not carried by most sites so it makes up for the extra cash spent. The reason I stopped shopping on Rakuten.com is because of the overwhelming stories of credit card fraud. There were many stories from people I interact with on a daily basis tell me their horror stories of credit card fraud. I don't want to blame Rakuten.com entirely because their site is just a cyber flee market when you break it down to it's lowest level. The customer must do his homework on the seller before purchasing an item, but there has to be some accountability on Rakuten for doing a better job raising the requirements on who they let sell goods on their site. I wouldn't recommend Rakuten.com to anyone, but if you choose to shop there I would urge you to use a credit card and not a debit card in case something fraudulent happens. A credit is the banks money and a debit card is your money.

Rakuten is a great place for name brand, discounted products.

from Tom Bean, Texas

Comments about Rakuten.com:

I found Rakuten by going to a comparison website for some nice knives and flatware. I noticed they their website offered, not only what I needed, but what I needed for less...considerably less. That made me happy! I also found that the shipping was comparable and fast! I got exactly what I needed, saved about 18% off of the other websites and I got my products FAST! I also received exactly what I ordered and the quality was what I expected from the name brand that I chose. These are not "knock-off" products at all so don't let the lower prices scare you.

I did not have to use customer service or the return portion of the website so I cannot comment on that but, to get what I ordered, when I ordered it and it all be right as to not have to use return says a lot about the website and company.

One last thought, the website is also very easy to navigate and checkout is quick, easy and secure. I will use them again in the future.

Worth checking out

from Lake Mills, WI

Comments about Rakuten.com:

I have purchased electronic items several times from Rakuten.com (formerly Buy.com) and have been satisfied with the products. They often have really good prices on items and also offer some refurbished items. When I am searching for a product to buy online, I typically check what Rakuten has as far as selection and price. When an item is purchased, there are buying points that can be redeemed for money off on future purchases. The part that is disappointing about the point system is that the points only have a time period when they can be redeemed and they expire, in my opinion, too quickly. I have other e-commerce accounts where the points don't expire, or they send an email informing you that points are going to expire. With Rakuten, they just expire, without any notice which makes me feel kind of duped. Shipping has always been expedient. Since I have not had to return anything, I can not comment on their ease of return. Another positive is that there are reviews of products.