Other Heartburn Medicines:

Protonix (Pantoprazole) Tablets

Pros

Cons

Makes Me Feel Like Normal

**Intro**It's hard for me to take medications for my acid reflux or IBS, because my case it a little more unique. I had surgery to stop my acid reflux and repair a hiatal hernia 20 years ago, and I hadn't had any heartburn since, but did pick up a nasty case IBS somewhere along the line. The IBS has suddenly gotten worse and the heartburn/acid reflux has returned for the first time since that surgery 20 years ago. Typical IBS drugs are not effective, as they make me feel like I'm exploding, but somehow the acid reflux has to be stopped, before I burn out my esophagus yet again. Telling my internist of my woes, he fired off a referral to the gastroenterologist, and also gave me a prescription to a proton pump inhibitor (sounds much worse than it actually is), Protonix.**Usage**My doctor gave me a five day supply of Protonix to try before I buy, knowing I have trouble with some of the more common medications. The great thing about this is that it's just one time a day. It's not something I have to take every time I eat or every time I have heartburn or indigestion. Also good news, is the pills are small to medium size. Pills that look like horse pills are hard for me to swallow, being that one of my symptoms of the first 20 years of problems was a difficulty swallowing.** The Benefits**Yet, just that one smaller Protonix pill a day does the job. I haven't felt any heartburn or indigestion on the three days I've used it, and I also haven't been bothered by my IBS. I'll be filling the regular prescription for it. Still, though, I'll need to see the gastroenterologist, as there's clearly something else going on in there, if this started up after a 20 year absence, but for right now, this is great.**Conclusion**As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather just stay on the Protonix the rest of my life and not have to worry about it. But there is that little disclaimer on it that it's meant for 8 weeks of use until the problem clears up, and while it's been proven to be okay for a few 8 week terms, it's never been cleared for people to be on it longer than one year. This means something else will have to be done eventually, but for right now, it's good, and I'll take it.

Helps the heartburn!

I am one of many people who, I'm sure, just thought it was bad case of heartburn. Unfortunately it turned out to be more. After many trips to the doctor and several different tests, it was determined that I have acid reflux. ICK, it even sound bad doesn't it!

I have tried different kinds of medicines but this is the one I am on now. Protonix 40 mg.

I started taking it because it was a sample given to me by my doctor and it seems to work ok. I do still have heartburn and I still have to be cautious of what I eat or I will be up all night chewing tums. I take this pill once a day and I try to always take it at the same time of day, at night right before I go to bed. I dont know for sure if it works better that way, its just easier for me to remember to take at that time. Its best to drink with a full glass of water and it doesnt really matter if taken with food or not. Make sure you check your drug interactions before taking.

I would like to say I wont have to always take it but considering I still have acid reflux sometimes and heartburn, I must say it doesnt take everything away 100 %.

Until they come out with a miracle drug, I will continue to take this medicine.

This WORKS!!!

Comments about Protonix (Pantoprazole) Tablets:

I've been taking Protonix for many years and prior to that I tried a few different products for acid and heartburn and they just didn't work as well as this product. I have to take 2 tablets per day, per Dr. orders. I've done this with any similar type of product I have ever used and the other brands just were not strong enough. Granted I have really bad heartburn but once I tried Protonix, 2x's per day I finally got relief. I went on a vacation once to see my mom and decided to stay longer then expected. I ran out of my Protonix. So my mom and I picked up another brand that was over the counter and I didn't get the same relief at all. I think I started to take how effective Protonix is for granted. I used it for so many years I thought the one we picked up would work fine but it didn't. When I ran out of my Protonix and used the other brand, that sure proved to me once again just how effective Protonix is. I couldn't wait to get back home to get my Rx of Protonix. Also at that time I didn't have Nationwide coverage so I couldn't just have my Dr. call in a refill for me in another state. Worth trying. Update: I have IBS and GERD and recently had an endoscopy and my Dr. said that my condition is really bad and that without the Protonix I would have had a far more serious health issue. She advised I stay on Protonix because it was doing it's job.

Didn't Help Me Much

Comments about Protonix (Pantoprazole) Tablets:

I have GERD, and I was prescribed Protonix whenever the prescribed 40mg esomeprazole (similar to omeprazole) I was taking stopped working. The first week on Protonix, I threw up almost every day at least once sometimes twice. At first I thought that it was from switching medicines or my nerves possibly. The next 2 months I had acid reflux to the same extent as when the esomeprazole stopped working. I stopped buying it becasue it was a wate of money and tried Nexium instead.

My sister is on Protonix and it works great for her. I followed the instructions to a tee (take with a glass of water and then wait 30 minutes before eating), but it just didn't work for me. I even changed my diet and cut out all tomatoes, spice, chocolate, and nearly all cholesterol, but still wasn't that effective. I recommend to someone thinking about switching to Protonix that if it doesn't work within the first month, then try something else, instead of wasting time and money.

Helps with all of my symptoms

Comments about Protonix (Pantoprazole) Tablets:

The thing I like about Protonix is that it helps with all of my symptoms. Other meds I have tried might work on the indigestion, but not the heartburn or the stomach issues. This is all encompassing and makes me feel like normal, which is something I have waited a long time to say.

Fast relief

Comments about Protonix (Pantoprazole) Tablets:

I don't experience heartburn that often but every now and then since I have had my child I get it a little more. I have tried a lot of things that just seem to NOT work which is very frustrating because when I have hurtburn I have it severely. Recently my doctor recommended I try this as needed and within fifteen to twenty minutes its ALL gone. I have never felt more relieved with anything.

Works great

Comments about Protonix (Pantoprazole) Tablets:

I took this medicine for a time, and it worked so well, that I wished that I could have afforded to take it longer. I never had heartburn, or stomach pains while I was taking protonix. I took it for about a year, but it cost me too much, so I had to stop taking it. It is a great medicine for sure, though. It is worth the cost.

Great medicine for heartburn and stomach ulcers!

from lakeland, florida

Comments about Protonix (Pantoprazole) Tablets:

I recently was diagnosed with a bleeding stomach ulcer. I was in the hospital for three days and had to have the ulcer capped to stop the bleeding (not fun at all; I apparently lost almost half my blood!) My doctor was very clear about the things I could not use for heartburn. I was not allowed to use Tums or any product like it as well Pepto Bismol. He prescribed this medicine for my heartburn. I have used a lot of medication to help my heartburn, however, I have not really found that helps as well as this one did. I take it once a day, in the morning. I have noticed a significant difference in the production of acid in my stomach. The over production of acid is what caused me to feel nauseous a lot of time, as well as experience severe heartburn. Within a week, I was only experiencing mild heartburn which was fixed by drinking a Maalox substitute that I found at Walmart. I definitely recommend if you need relief, fast!

ONE OF THE BEST

Comments about Protonix (Pantoprazole) Tablets:

I was suffering from heartburn every day of my life; even after changing my diet I would still get woken up in the middle of the night with that or even acid reflux. It finally got so bad that I went to the doctor about it because using Prilosec wasn't helping my symptoms.

My doctor prescribed Protonix for me and I was to use it for 6 months. Not only did it take my heartburn away after 2 days of use, it took it away for the remainder of the time I used it. I couldn't believe I was finally heartburn and acid reflux free. It had been so long I forgot what it was like. I still watched what I ate because I didn't want to damage my stomach any more but I highly recommend this medication to take away your symptoms and to heal your stomach and/or esophogus if needed.

Makes Me Feel Like Normal

from South Elgin, IL

Didnt help me

from Waterford, MI

Comments about Protonix (Pantoprazole) Tablets:

I was put on this after my insurance quit covering Nexium. It did not work for me. I suffer from Gerd and need a PPI but this was not the one for me. Didnt help any of my symptoms and never eased any of my discomfort.

Great way to ease the suffering of Gerd.

from Ogden, UT

Comments about Protonix (Pantoprazole) Tablets:

I was told by my doctor that I had Gerd and it was time to control it. I was not even sure what that meant. All I knew was that I lived with terrible suffering and wanted it to end. I was put on Protonix and it was a lifesaver. No longer do I have to suffer from the pain and being uncomfortable. I am also an asthma suffer and Gerd was starting to effect how I was breathing. This medication was a miracle to me. I did not have any problems with side effects and that is very important to me. I took the pill once a day and it was small and easy to swallow.

I suggest if you are having problems with Gerd, see your doctor and ask about this great little pill. I think you will be quite amazed.After taking Protonix for awhile, I noticed the pain and bloating were gone and my asthma was much easier to control. It really enhanced my quality of life. It decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach and it helped my Gerd to heal. This medication is not an imediate cure for Gerd or heartburn, it is a way to treat and cure I have been symptom free for a year now and am so thankful this great medication was made available.