Other Heartburn Medicines:

Pros

Cons

Have 3 children with GERD--Prevacid is a great product

**The good--**

I have three beautiful children from 6 years to 9 months. All are on high doses of Prevacid for GERD, but their reflux is controlled...Read complete review

**The good--**

I have three beautiful children from 6 years to 9 months. All are on high doses of Prevacid for GERD, but their reflux is controlled well.

I sprinkle the contents of the capsules over applesauce twice a day for each of them. After taking the medicine, the kids can actually eat without pain about 30-60 minutes later. It's been a life-saver for us.

Long-term reflux has risks, not the least of which is an increased risk for cancer of the esophagus. This medication can help reduce the risks of prolonged exposure of acid in the esophagus.

Prevacid is expensive but the company has a rebate program that has helped tremendously to save money. They've improved the rebate program tremendously. You used to have to send in forms for reimbursement. Now you receive a card and the pharmacist can enter the info from the card and you receive the savings instantly.Go to the prevacid website to sign up for the program. Unfortunately, there's a limit of two persons per household on the rebate program.

Some drug plans place this on the non-preferred list, so check with your insurance company before going into convulsions at the pharmacy check-out. Stress does not necessarily cause reflux, but it can certainly make it worse.

The majority of people taking Prevacid get good results after using it for a few weeks.

**The bad--**

It's expensive and the children seem to need it long-term.

You won't get immediate relief from this product when beginning treatment because it's a PPI (proton pump inhibitor), which means that it takes a couple of days before it turns off certain acid-producing cells feeding into the stomach. For breakthrough pain, we've used Maalox, but always check with your healthcare provider before taking multiple medications.

Because it's a PPI, this can put people on Prevacid long-term at increased risk for infections because acid in the stomach can fight off various bad germs.

People who have taken Prevacid and discontinue treatment often experience relapses of their acid reflux.

Documented side effects are few, but may include diarrhea, abdominal pain, or diarrhea. I was prescribed Prevacid many years ago and it made me feel like I could imagine someone would feel after drinking battery acid. I was a bit scared to try my kids on this medication, but they have felt much better on it.

It's hard to do medicine twice a day with children, but many people get relief with once a day dosing.

Small children tend to try to chew on the contents of the capsules, but they also have SoluTabs that sort of melt in your mouth. Capsules have worked the best for us.

Be very careful if you are preparing to open the capsule--if it gets the LEAST bit wet the capsule begins to melt and the contents tend to stick to the melted pink and green glob!

**I hope this information helps you to make an informed decision if your healthcare provider has recommended this medication for you!**

Prevacid didn't help GERD much & caused terrible side effects

I have taken another over-the-counter GERD medication for years with great results but when I got a coupon for this new prevacid, I thought I'd give it a try since it is very similar.  I was short on money and always hate shelling out the bucks for these GERD medicines so I thought it'd be a good deal and work the same as what I had been taking.  Boy was I wrong and sorry that I tried this product.  Not only did it not treat my GERD symptoms as well, I suffered from terrible side effects that lasted for weeks.  My GI system was a wreck!  I don't think I have every reacted to anything so terribly.  It probably took at least a month until all my "waste plumbing" was functioning normally again.  This made a case of flu-related diarrhea look like nothing at all.  I would be very careful when trying this drug out.  I'm sure this is not the usual reaction, but this is definately not the same drug as the one in the purple box.  I would not recommend this medication to anyone - just based on my experience with it.  Stick with what works for you!

Pretty good product!

from Phoenix,Az

Comments about Prevacid Acid Reflux:

I have tried Prevacid Acid Reflux in the past and it worked ok but not great. It does take longer to take effect and did not last as long for me, but everybody reacts in a different way. Fortunately I don't have a problem with heartburn or acid reflux very often so I don't have to use this type of product very much. I have tried quite a few different products so that way I can compare how different ones work. I don't ever want to say that a product is not good because people have their own preference on certain items. There are some products that I might prefer for some conditions. I have tried this several times so I did give it a fair chance. It just isn't one of my favorites for the heartburn and acid reflux. I also use this type of product for indigestion so it doesn't get worse. I know that there are some foods that can aggravate these conditions and symptoms, but sometimes we all give in to cravings and temptations of these food.

Initially helped with GERD / heartburn symtoms

Comments about Prevacid Acid Reflux:

When I was first diagnosed with GERD/acid reflux, I was given prescription strength Prevacid, then when it became available over the counter, I used that. I seemed to do what it claimed and for some time I had relief from the GERD/acid reflux. I was told by my doctor that I would need to take this everyday because my symptoms were so severe. Over time it seemed that my body developed a tolerance to this product and I found myself needing to take more. Ultimately I feel taking this medication ruined my health, actually causing my body to stop producing enough stomach acid to properly digest my foods, so now I am left with a new problem to try to take care of. I would recommend this product only for short tem use for immediate relief, but use with caution and pay attention to what your body is telling you, believe me, if you thought acid reflux was bad, it is nothing compared to how you feel when your stomach won't digest food and it sits fermenting in your belly for 12 hours!

Prevacid Acid reflux really is 24 hr relief

Comments about Prevacid Acid Reflux:

I have had issues with acid reflux a lot in my adult life. My doctor advised me to go to my local pharmacy and pick this up and give it a try. Before this I was just using tons of Tums and of course no help there at all! With just one pill and I noticed a difference right away. It really was a full 24 hour relief. Also a great plus is that it is over the counter medication and also not so expensive at all.
I would just take one pill a night with a glass of water and I would Not wake up with acid in my throat making it hard to breath. I also noticed that I wouldn't have any other of the effects of acid reflux like heartburn, acid in my throat and so much more.
As for side effects I noticed none at all. Also the box does state to give it three days for it to work. I noticed relief right away but people are different. So give it at least a week to work and you will notice a difference in how you feel. Also its great not to have to worry about taking other medication after only 4 hours.

Comments about Prevacid Acid Reflux:

I used to get heartburn/reflux from most foods. Now with prevacid that is just an after thought. Once a day, and I can kiss my uncomfortable moments after meals goodbye. I wish it were a bit less expensive, but for comfort's sake it is well worth the money.

not that good

Comments about Prevacid Acid Reflux:

I've tried this product several different times over the years. It was a very dissappointing experience to me each time. I would take this for two weeks at a time to make sure i was giving it enough time to start working but it didn't help me at all. I would not recommend this.

Good Heartburn medicine

Comments about Prevacid Acid Reflux:

I actually was has prevacid prescribed with other medicines by my doctor because i suffer of constant heartburn. After a while of using the medicine actually started working. With this medicine you have to use it as directed for it to work. I have tried things like pepto but nothing compares to the constant relieve of prevacid.

Prevacid No More Indigestion

Comments about Prevacid Acid Reflux:

I like this product very much, It has done so much for my stomach. I've used many different products over the years, and none can compare to prevacid. This gave me great relief, and I have never changed to anything else. Very satisfied with this certified product.

The only thing that works for me!

Comments about Prevacid Acid Reflux:

6 years ago, I began having horrible chest pains along with my heartburn/acid reflux. I tried everything over the counter that I could get my hands on. Finally, someone suggested I try Prevacid to see if it would help, and sure enough within a couple days, my heartburn went away and I felt normal again. Self referred to a GI Dr. only to find out I had Barrett's Esophagus and a Hiatal Hernia. Now I take Prevacaid every day and am so thankful that it is over the counter and more readily available! :D Getting coupons for this product is fairly easy as well. If money is tight and I can't afford the brand name, there are generic versions that work just as well!

the best of breed if you ask me

Comments about Prevacid Acid Reflux:

I have been using this product for about a year, and I've found it to be the most effective in this catergory of medicine for stopping my heartburn and feelings of discomfort. It is strong enough that I'm not always taking pills, and the relief really does last 24 hours. I take it every day for maintenance, and i would highly suggest it to others who have struggled in the past.

Dramatically helped my acid reflux

Comments about Prevacid Acid Reflux:

Although I have tried medications for acid reflux that work better than this one does I was not displeased with the results I saw using this product. I started getting heartburn really bad when I found out that I was pregnant with my daughter. I took tums and other antacids constantly throughout the day and nothing seemed to work. I could not sleep at night because my throat burned so bad I wanted to cry. I bought the bottle of prevacid that has 15 tabs and I took it for 15 days. I was pleased. I could sleep and lay down without feeling sick. That was wonderful because I was already feeling sick from being pregnant. I currently take another acid reflux medication but this one is great if im in a pinch because I always know where to find it and it does work. If you get occasional heartburn this would be a good product for you to take. I would recommend taking it before you eat if you know that you are going to eat a spicy or greasy meal.