Other Digestion Medicines:

Prilosec OTC Heartburn Treatment & Relief

Pros

Cons

• Immediacy:

Prilosec OTC has dramatically improved my quality of life.

I didn't realize it at the time but for around three decades my quaity of life was really pretty low. The problem was simple - an intense, unbearable burning sensation in the back of my throat caused by severe acid reflux. I would frequently be unable to sleep at night because it was so uncomfortable I couldn't lie down. Mixing baking soda in water helped a little but it was temporary at best and the reflux ultimately won every battle. Later, after I was old enough to start trying to figure out what was wrong, I was told that chewable TUMS tablets would help. TUMS were a godsend but they only treated the symptoms, they didn't help alleviate the condition. The next step forward was Pepcid, a pill that would prove incredibly helpful to me. With Pepcid and plenty of TUMS, life was still not enjoyable but it was at least manageable.

When Prilosec OTC finally hit the market it literally changed my life. Simply by taking a pill every morning I was completely acid-free for the entire day, something I literally never imagined was possible. I sometimes joke that for me, Prilosec was the greatest invention of the 20th Century but the truth is, for me it really was. That nasty pain and acid buildup in my throat went away and finally stayed away and I began to realize that life wasn't all about managing suffering. It opened up a whole new world to me.

Prilosec is not intended to treat ongoing acid reflux or heartburn and it does carry along some side effects you should be aware of. Used over a long period of time it will leech calcium from the bones, something I wasn't aware of until I fell and broke an arm and a year later it hadn't healed. Prilosec likely played a role in the arm being fractured and in keeping it from healing properly. Doctors are a little loathe to discuss this because they want you to fix the cause of the heartburn/reflux, which for me would mean expensive surgery.

In the meantime, I take Os-Cal to replace the calcium that Prilosec has depleted, something that has helped my arm finally heal and which will probably prevent another annoying broken bone. (I say annoying because compared to chronic acid reflux, a broken arm was minor.) Bottom line, if you take Prilosec everyday you should take a calcium supplement. Other than that it's an amazing product which no doubt has restored sanity to millions of acid reflux sufferers. Not many medications are this dramatic in what they do. Prilosec is a little expensive, but those who know really don't care.

It works but be careful of side effects!

I have suffered from acid reflux since childhood. In my mid 20s I tried Prilosec for the first time. I did the standard two week course, and I had never felt better. I could eat and drink anything I wanted without reflux for the first time I could remember! However, within 6 months reflux had returned. My doctor recommended a second course and again it worked and again it returned with a few months. So I finally gave in to dietary changes, which were only minimally effective. It seemed my digestive system just found new things to react to. So, my ENT (who is very knowledgeable in the area of GERD) recommended I take Prilosec (or generic omeprazole) daily. He said there was no harm in making it a daily medication. I did so for approximately a year, feeling great, until some stranges symptoms started to occur. I would wake up in the middle night with severe itching on the bottoms of feet and my palms. They would swell and burn as well in the next few days before subsiding all together. Nothing topical relieved the discomfort, nor did antihistamines. This happened 4 or 5 times and my doctor decided it was time to do bloodwork. They were convinced it was something I was eating, but I knew better. My bloodwork came back as being iron deficient. Thankfully, not seriously so, just enough to possibly cause some symptoms. However my doctors could not pinpoint why I was deficient. I did not have heavy periods, I did not have other health issues and I definitely wasn't malnourished. Nonetheless I was prescribed a daily iron dosage. My itching and rash symptoms decreased in frequency and intensity but not all together. I was so frustrated and began doing my own research since my doctors didn't seem particularly concerned or knowledgeable about what could be going on. After reading several medical journals and online postings by others, I discovered that omeprazole (the active drug in Prilosec), while blocking acid production decreases the body's ability to absorb iron and other necessary nutrients. WIthout the appropriate acids, certain nutrients cannot be broken down. I immediately stopped taking Prilosec or any generic, and I have had only one instance of the itching return after a severe bout of stomach flu. I have no doubt this drug caused my symptoms. I would rather suffer with acid reflux than experience that feeling again, so I have learned to be VERY careful about what I eat, when I eat and to make sure I exercise regularly. These lifestyles changes are much better medicine.

The best way to fight constant heartburn

Comments about Prilosec OTC Heartburn Treatment & Relief:

This product changed my life, I can now eat what I want whenever I want and not have to worry about painful heartburn all the time

Prilosec stops heartburn everytime

don't even need water, just swallow it down

Immediacy
Takes a day to start working but if you take them consistently it always works

Good stuff!

Comments about Prilosec OTC Heartburn Treatment & Relief:

Works great! I've had heartburn for years now and if I take this everyday it keeps me heartburn free. The only concern I have is it says not to use it for more than two weeks and I've taken it for years. Hopefully I'll be alright! Even my doctor prescribes it to me so I guess I can take it longer.

Total life saver

Comments about Prilosec OTC Heartburn Treatment & Relief:

When I got pregnant with my daughter i had terrible heart burn. I had to sleep sitting almost completely up because if I layed down and I coughed I would have stomach acid up my nose and in my mouth. I tried this product and for the first time in a long time I was able to sleep again.

This product is wonderful. Despite the package saying that it is only to be taken for two weeks and then stopped for a few months I took this medication everyday while I was pregnant. As long as I took it the same time everyday and I kept up on it I was fine.

SO easy to use. I buy the berry flavor so that it does not taste absolutely terrible when I have to take it.

Immediacy
This product says right on the package that it could take up to four days for full effect. I usually notice a difference the next day. I usually start the pill at night so I have all night to sleep to give it time to work before I get up and eat the next day.

• Immediacy:

Effective for GERD, but can create some strange side effects.

Comments about Prilosec OTC Heartburn Treatment & Relief:

I've been taking 40mg of Prilosec twice a day for a little over a year now, ever since my allergist and I discovered that the main reason I was getting so many sinus infections was, in fact, GERD. My GERD is severe enough that I do have to take their daily recommended dose of 40mg twice a day (i.e. twice the recommended amount), but it otherwise works effectively. My body very quickly notices when I miss a dose. Taking this medication regularly has helped significantly decrease my sporadic bits of heartburn and some of the weird withdrawal symptoms I'll get if I'm not taking it regularly (a weird croak up my throat). I have been warned that taking prilosec regularly for too long a time can change your stomach chemistry, and ergo, you should definitely consult a doctor when using this product.

Immediacy
It does not help with immediate heartburn, but rather, provides long-term relief to more regular and longer onsets of heartburn.

Acid reducer

Comments about Prilosec OTC Heartburn Treatment & Relief:

I have a hiatal hernia and Gerd, so this is really helpful. It doesn't take away all of my pain, but it does help to make it bearable. It is expensive, but cheaper than getting a prescription. Before taking this OTC medication, I wasn't taking any medication, so I had a lot of sleepless nights. After a week or so of taking this, the pain wasn't as bad and I slept better.

It is effective but it would be nice if it was in a stronger strength. If they could make at least two strengths, I think it would be helpful for people like myself who have hiatal hernias.

Very easy to use and to remember. Once a day, fairly small pill. If someone has trouble swallowing pills, they may not like this. It is not too bad though. I like that it lasts 24 hours.

Immediacy
It would be nice if this worked faster than a week. It would be nice if it worked immediately but I do understand it needs to probably build up in the system first in order for it to work.

• Immediacy:

Prilosec soothes that occasional episode of heartburn

from Smiths Station, AL

Comments about Prilosec OTC Heartburn Treatment & Relief:

Prilosec once a RX drug is now  OTC and works quickly and efficiently  to soothe those occasional episodes.  Of course if it persists, you should talk with your doctor but for those times when you eat that tasty spicy food or some other food that brings on a bout of heartburn, this is a great choice.  It is a little expensive but well worth the price.

I rated this as good because I rated it against other OTC products. If you need something stronger, you should consult with your Doctor.

It is small and can be put in a single pill holder or I put mine in a contact lens container.

Immediacy
It does take a little while for it to work. Sometimes I wait too long before taking it and just have to suffer until it takes effect.

Prilosec OTC

Comments about Prilosec OTC Heartburn Treatment & Relief:

I used to take prescription medicine for my acid reflux until the insurance company stopped paying for prescription acid reflux medicines. I tried Prilosec OTC and found it did a comparable job to the prescription I had been taking. As long as it is taken regularly it stops the acid reflux before it starts.

• Immediacy:

heartburn medication that offers relief with daily use

from Lakeland, FL

Comments about Prilosec OTC Heartburn Treatment & Relief:

This product performed precisely as advertised. I recently completed a fourteen day regimine,as instructed, and was pleasantly surprised with the consistent relief that it gave me. I don't often find need for antacids, and usually find relief with simple home remedies, such as baking soda, or mustard. But recently, due to some stress, I was experiencing chronic acid indigestion, and needed something more. I'd received a sample pack in the mail, and decided to try it. By the third day, the relief was obvious, and complete. The effects continued even after the fourteen days. I'm a very hard sell, but this product impressed me.

It was completely effective. I followed the simple instructions, and knew what to expect. The product performed admirably

The caplets were smoothe and relatively small, and easy [for me] to swallow

Immediacy
As declared, the product does not work immediately. It requires a period of time to build up in your system, usually two or three days.

• Immediacy:

Prilosec Omeprazole keeps your tummy comfy.

from Elk Rapids, MI

Comments about Prilosec OTC Heartburn Treatment & Relief:

Prilosec Omeprozale is taken daily to maintain a level of digestive comfort.

Prilosec Omeprozale ideally should be taken daily and I recommend that you take your pill first thing every morning with water, opposed to evening.

Primarily it is another person in the household that takes this medication but since I am the one who witnesses the daily miseries of my best friend, I can tell you the importance of taking omeprozale EVERY DAY if you are a sufferer of indigestion.

Omeprozale, when taken EVERY DAY, will keep you feeling comfortable - no urping, burping, growling, sourness, gas or other unpleasantness. My best friend has become willing to eat (try) many different foods now that he is taking omeprozale daily. Take it from me, when he forgets to take an omeprozale tablet he becomes instantly uncomfortable in the disgestive tract. The difference is quite noticeable. Omeprozale truly makes a difference with his being able to eat normally throughout the day and not being able to enjoy different foods.

Prilosec Omeprozale is avalable in generic brands as well, although for many folks it sometimes is best to stick with a known brand for its dependability of quality.

If you suffer from indigestion I would strongly recommend you try Prilosec Omeprozale for daily control.. give it a week and you will be delighted with your newfound level of tummy comfort.

Prilosec OTC got rid of, and stopped me having heartburn.

from New Port Richey, FL

Comments about Prilosec OTC Heartburn Treatment & Relief:

Len takes a prescription drug for heartburn relief, but mine tends to flare up for a few days and then disappears.

I was sent a free starter kit of Prilosec OTC, and figured I would give it a try. The one I have is a 24 hour tablet, and so I decided to take it in the morning.

The pill is a salmon/pink color, and has the letter P underlined on it. Checking the directions it states:

'Swallow 1 tablet with a glass of water before eating in the morning'. They suggest it being taken for 14 days, and then stopped.

I took the first tablet, and didn't have any indigestion that day, so took it the second day. It felt great not having to burp, or my stomach churning.

I have since gone out and bought a box of 24 in case it reoccurs. I personally wouldn't like to take it for a full 14 days, because I hate taking any kind of pills, and only take them when I really have to.

No heartburn at all, after taking the first one.

Just swallow with water.

Immediacy
It worked straight away for me, but it does say that it can take 1 - 4 days.