3.6

Prevacid 24 Hour

3.6

Pros

Cons

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Comments about Prevacid 24 Hour:

If I take it once per day as instructed on package, it only lasts 12 hours. Since the dosage is about half the active ingredient of the prescription medication I was on (Protonix 40 mg), this makes sense, but the package instructions say to ONLY take one per day, so unless I take 2 per day, my symptoms always return at the 12 hour mark.

If I take it once per day as instructed on package, it only lasts 12 hours and all of my reflux symptoms always return at the 12 hour mark.

If it lasted 24 hours, then of course a once a day dose would be ideal.

Immediacy
This medication is not intended to provide immediate relief.

• Immediacy:

I love this product!!!

from Fort Wayne, IN

Comments about Prevacid 24 Hour:

I absolutely love this product because quite frankly, it works!! For as long as I can remember I have had serious acid reflux and agonizing heartburn to the point that it would wake me up from a dead sleep. Just when I thought my heartburn could get no worse, it did when I became pregnant! Prevacid is amazing, and it works better than any other product that is out there hands down that I have personally tried, and I have tried pretty much everything that I could get my hands on, before Prevacid. Although this product can be pricey, you know that when you take it not only will it work, but it will work quickly. I love that because I can't stand being uncomfortable and in pain. To me the rewards of this product outweigh the initial cost of it.

Prevacid 24 is just okay.

from Rock River, WY

Comments about Prevacid 24 Hour:

Tried Prevacid 24 hour when it first came out a few months ago, and I noticed it didn't quite do the job for me. I had to use a backup of chewable anti-acid tablets or liquid. It is also more expensive than Prilosec. It doesn't seem to go on sale enough, or there aren't enough coupons to be found for this product. Maybe the prescription strength Prevacid is good, but the over the counter one isn't. Like Prilosec, you have to take this at least fourteen days before it starts to do the job of controlling the acid in your stomach, in other words, it's a 'proton-pump' inhibitor. I would imagine you'd have to take vitamin b12 tablets for this one, too, so your vitamin b12 doesn't leech out of your blood. I wouldn't recommend this product.

Ok medication

from Corydon, IN

Comments about Prevacid 24 Hour:

I used this product for the first time about 3 months ago.  I have a lot of problems with acid reflux and heart burn and was looking forward to trying this product.  You take it for 14 days and then you are done.  You can repeat it every 4 months.  As I used the product, it worked wonderful and I didn't have any problems but when I was finished with my 14 days I started having problems again with reflux.  I am still having problems with the reflux but the package says to not repeat the next round until at least 4 months.  Also, it is a little pricey considering you only take it for a 14 day course.  It worked really good while taking it but then it didn't last once I finished it.  I don't know that I would buy this product again.  I have a sister that used this product also and she told me that it worked while using it but it didn't last.  I don't think I would recommend this product unless they came out with a product that you took everyday.

Prevacid helped my horrible heartburn!

from Lynnwood, WA

Comments about Prevacid 24 Hour:

During my first pregnancy I had really bad heartburn, but not until the end and it was easily treated with TUMs or Rolaids.  During my second pregnancy, my hearburn started at 14 weeks and just got worse and worse.  After trying TUMS and having it not really do anything, my doctor suggested that I first try OTC Prevacid or Zantac.  I tried those and they worked but I was only allowed to take two pills a day which meant that I was usually waking up in the middle of the night with heartburn.  Two pills just wasn't enough to last me all day and night.  After talking to my doctor, he suggested that I try OTC Prevacid.  I was a little skeptical that taking only one pill a day would "cure" my heartburn, and I wasn't look forward to the 2-3 days it said it would take to really kick it.  Luckily, Prevacid starting working with 24 hours for me.  I would take one pill when I woke up everyday and I never had any heartburn for the rest of my pregnancy!  It was a total lifesaver!!!

works wonders for healing esophogeal ulcers too!

from Sherman Oaks, CA

Comments about Prevacid 24 Hour:

My husband was getting acid reflux as a result of his gall bladder surgery.  Due to the constant reflux, coughing, and gagging on the acids in his body, he was getting ulcers in his esophagus.  His doctor told him that he should use Prevacid (at that time still a prescription medicine) and gave him a two months supply sample.  He started using it and it worked wonders. The acid reflux stopped, his coughing and gagging was reduced to almost nothing and he was a happy camper.  But our insurance didn't want to cover it when he tried to use the presciption.  Unfortunately, he went without it for about 3 months when it became an over the counter medicine. We happily bought it again for him and everything quieted down again. Prevacid has worked wonders for him, most of his esophageal ulcers have disappeared and he doesn't feel sick to his stomach anymore.  The coupons that you can find in the paper or online help but the medicine is still a little pricey.

Don't waste your money

from Cheyenne, WY

Comments about Prevacid 24 Hour:

I have taken Aciphex for five years now with amazing results, but my insurance company is pushing hard for me to use an otc heartburn medication. I was excited when I saw that Prevacid 24hr was on the shelves at a local drug store and thought, "No more fighting with the insurance company, no more asking my doctor for another refill. This could be good!"

I have now been on Prevacid 24hr for about a month and have experienced a full return of acid reflux. Even taking two capsules a day is no help at all; may as well be swallowing jelly beans.

Prevacid 24hr comes with my absolute lowest rating. It does not work even a little bit so Don't Waste Your Money!

Prevacid 24 Hour changed my life

from Mundelein, IL

Comments about Prevacid 24 Hour:

I had gastric bypass surgery a few years ago and while it was totally worth it - it saved my life! - it has left me with some stomach issues, one of which is chronic acid reflux. I was trying to make do with chewable medicines, things like Tums and Pepcid, which work really well in the moment. However, I was taking tons of them, and my heartburn is just too chronic to be managed by chewables. Plus, you can't chew Tums in your sleep, and that's when my reflux is at its worst. There's nothing like waking up in the middle of the night with a throat full of acid.

My doctor suggested Prilosec OTC, which works pretty well as well, but when I got a really good coupon for Prevacid, I decided to give it a try. Prevacid 24 Hour is taken as a 14-day course once every four months, but my doctor gave me permission to use it more frequently, and I definitely do. Prevacid comes in cute little teal-and-fuschia capsules, and you take one with water first thing in the morning before eating. It only took one or two days before I noticed major results! With Prevacid 24 Hour, I am virtually reflux-free. Prevacid 24 hour is a bit pricey, but there are a lot of coupons available for it and it's so worth the cost for the great results.