Other Digestion Medicines:

Cons

PREVACID 24 HOUR ACID REDUCER CAPSULES REALLY WORK

from New Haven, CT

Comments about Prevacid 24-Hour Acid Reducer:

I have had chronic heartburn for over 20 years.  And I have tried every acid reducing pill, tablet or capsule out there.  Prevacid otc  is easy to take; it is a small capsule that can be taken with or without food. I used to take  Prilosec otc and started using Prevacid when it first came out in otc form, because I found a coupon in the newspaper.  I think the best part about Prevacid is that the capsules come in a bottle instead of an extremely frustrating blister pack like Prilosec. This is a really great product that works well, and the price of the otc product  is less than half of what you would pay for prescription strength.  If you need prescription strength, just take two capsules at once; that equals one prescription-strength dosage. These capsules are 15 MG.  Prescription strength is 30 MG. The best way to take these is without food. They seem to work best if you take them at least a half hour or more before you eat. I have found that if I take one Prevacid capsule in the morning,  I will have no heartburn problems whatsoever. Everyone is different so you may need more. They work great for me, my heartburn problems are a thing of the past as long as I remember to take one capsule every morning before eating.

Prevacid works great except for the scary side effects!

from Sherman Oaks, CA

Comments about Prevacid 24-Hour Acid Reducer:

My husband takes this every so often when his acid reflux acts up.  One pill works wonders but he only takes two (one per day) to completely eliminate the acid. Then he doesn't need to take another for two or three weeks at the least. The only real issue when he takes it is that his blood pressure really sky rockets (deduct two stars for this) when he takes it so there is quite a trade off. Does he take it to reduce the acid and risk his blood pressure rising or can he handle not taking it? His answer is that he will only take it if he absolutely needs to. If he could take something else, he would, but his doctor recommends Prevacid only when needed. I wish they would make it without the side effects. Another star deduction is the price. Even when it is on sale and with coupons (and believe me, I hunt for the best coupon available for this), it is still pretty pricey at my local pharmacy. When it became OTC, I thought it would be cheaper than through out prescription coverage in our insurance plan, but it really wasn't.  I guess that's another side effect that they don't list on the box...

I can't go a day without Prevacid!

from Memphis, TN

Comments about Prevacid 24-Hour Acid Reducer:

Prevacid is the most effective over the counter treatment for acid reflux I have found. I have been using it for years and I wouldn't trade it for anything. My acid reflux is awful and Prevacid makes me comfortable. The fact that Prevacid is now over the counter makes it even easier to use.

Prevacid's a winner against CHRONIC gastro-intestinal agonies.

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Prevacid 24-Hour Acid Reducer:

If you have discomfort from overeating a couple of times a week, chances are **24-Hour PREVACID (Lansoprazole)** will be vast overkill for your problem.

On the other hand, if you have ***chronic*** pain and severe discomfort related to acid back-up from *GERD (gastroesophageal reflux)*; knawing pain from gastric ulcers; or heartburn that simply doesn't respond to *Tums,* *Maalox* or similar OTC fixes...  Well, then, **24-Hour PREVACID**, now available over the counter, may be a best drug of choice.

Having had ulcers and acute heartburn, I urge you to make that choice with your doctor's knowledge and recommendation.  **PREVACID** is a proton-pump inhibitor (**PPI**) which reduces the amount of acid in the stomachs of folks who simply produce too much or who harbor the ulcer-causing bacteria *H. pylori*.  The usual course of treatment is 14 days, but doctors sometimes advise continued treatment for hard-core cases.  Either way, there can be side effects and/or poor interaction with other drugs you might be taking.

As recently as May 2010, **PPI** users were given safety information concerning an increased risk of hip, wrist, and spine fractures involved with longterm, high-dose users.  The majority of studies citing this danger involved people 50 and older.  Younger users, however, are not excluded from possible risk.

I'm among the more fortunate of **PPI** patients.  My symptoms generally abate with in 24 hours.  In the instances where I've had ulcers, two to four weeks have allowed me to heal then discontinue treatment.  My most recent experiences with **PPI**s have been in response to my stomach sensitivity to the painkiller *Ibuprofen*.  I recently used my sample of **24-Hour PREVACID** (with follow-up) for this problem and found it no more or less effective than the generic *Omeprazole* I've taken before.

*Consumer Reports* has recommended **24-Hour PREVACID**, *Prilosec *OTC, and Generic *omeprazole* as its top three excellent and reasonably-priced **PPI**s.  Cost-effectiveness will probably be the single most important factor in choosing between these meds.  Similar prescription meds provide the same health function but at far greater cost (unless your insurance covers them).