Other Frozen Foods:
Breakfast Food
Pillsbury
Pillsbury Toaster Scrambles

Pillsbury Toaster Scrambles

These are good but you need to know the trick...

In our busy family it's important to have quick meals on hand.  This fits the bill.  The trick is to keep them in the fridge and to nuke them for about 30 seconds and then put them in the toaster to crisp up the outside.  It works like a charm...my boys and husband eat these up so fast they never last longer than a 3-4 days.

Toaster Scrambles: Sometimes they're good. other times not.

Ever since I was a kid, I have heard many people - ranging from parents, teachers, nutritionists and countless TV commercials - that breakfast is "the most important meal of the...Read complete review

Ever since I was a kid, I have heard many people - ranging from parents, teachers, nutritionists and countless TV commercials - that breakfast is "the most important meal of the day.'

Indeed, when I was a schoolboy in elementary school, my mom would wake us up an hour or so before my scheduled school bus pick up time and fix me a breakfast which consisted - usually - of two eggs, two slices of toast, a bowl of cereal, orange juice and one cup of coffee.

By the time I was promoted to what is now called the "middle school" grades, my pick-up time was a bit earlier than it was in elementary, and because I was now a young teen I was expected to fix my own breakfast or, if I had no time, eat breakfast in the school cafeteria.

And because senior high schools started the school day at 7:15 AM, I often had to make do with either getting to the campus early and eating in the cafeteria or eating Pop Tarts and drinking Carnation Instant Breakfast mixes with milk.  Thus, by the time I entered college in the mid-1980s my morning meal had dwindled to my now-standard two cups of coffee and two slices of toasted bread, with a glass of fruit juice on the side.

This, of course, is not a good breakfast, but what to do when time is limited and you can't take the time to prepare a big hearty morning meal?

**Toaster Scrambles**

One possible - if not perfect - option is to get a box of Pillsbury **Toaster Scrambles**, a scrambled eggs/cheese/meat products variation of the fruity-flavored **Toaster Strudels**, which were introduced in 1985 to compete with Kellogg's Pop Tarts toaster pastries.

Like their fruit-filling sweet cousins the **Toaster Strudels, Toaster Scrambles **can be found in the breakfast section of the frozen foods department at most supermarkets and grocery stores.  The five currently available varieties are:

- Cheese, Egg & Bacon

- Cheese, Egg & Ham

- Cheese, Egg & Sausage

- Reduced Fat Cheese, Egg & Bacon

- Reduced Fat Southwestern Style

Preparing **Toaster Scrambles **is, in theory, very easy.  You set your toaster or toaster oven on Medium, then toast your **Scrambles **till the filling is hot and the crust is golden brown.  Usually this takes one to two toaster cycles in regular toasters, one cycle in a toaster oven.

In the FAQ section of the official Web page for Pillsbury **Toaster Scrambles, **there is an alternate cooking option.

***Can I make Toaster Scrambles® pastries in the oven?** **Yes! Bake the pastries on a baking sheet in an oven preheated to 375 degrees F. for three to four minutes.*  - from http://www.pillsbury.com/Products/Breakfast/Toaster-Scrambles/Toaster-Scrambles-FAQs

For people who use microwaves to heat almost everything, however, a word of caution: Pillsbury does *not *recommend the use of a microwave to prepare this product, especially since the flaky crust will come out all soggy and icky.

**My Viewpoint**:  As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on the issue of how good **Toaster Scrambles **are.

First, they're not really nutritious.  The only mineral content in one pastry is a minute amount of iron (4% of the suggested Daily Value).  It has no other vitamins or minerals.  None. Zip. Zilch. Nada.  Not even one iota of calcium in the cheese.

**Toaster Scrambles **do contain calories (180 total, 100 from fat alone in each pastry), though thankfully the amount of trans fat is less than half a gram.  Each serving *does *have 20 mg of cholesterol (7% of the recommended Daily Value) and 310 mg of sodium (salt), which equals 13% of the DVs.  Not exactly a "heart attack in a bun" kind of food, but neither will it win your average nutrion expert's approval.

Taste issues also are mixed. depending on how well your toaster cooks the **Toaster Scrambles.  **Some times the pastry looks golden brown and is hot to the touch, but the filling has "cold spots" where the heat wasn't enough to raise its temperatures.

Other times, the cheese flavoring can negate the taste of the eggs, and the meat flavoring can sometimes be too overpowering.  However, sometimes you get lucky and the blend of the flavors is in balance.

I'll have to give **Toaster Scrambles **a very wary YES recommendation because:

1. They're relatively easy to prepare

2. They taste okay half the time

3. Kids can prepare them (with adult supervision)

4. They're pretty filling - especially if you have a cup of coffee to wash them down with

Disappointing & unappetizing

Comments about Pillsbury Toaster Scrambles:

I usually buy the Lean Pockets but thought I would try these because they were on sale and the nutrition info was slightly better (probably because they're smaller)... plus, I love the Toaster Strudels! I was very disappointed. These were almost inedible, in my opinion. The crust is so buttery it overwhelms the other flavors and leaves a greasy feeling in my mouth. The cheese is a weird sauce - not real cheese, which could have made all the difference for this product. The ratio of eggs & meat to crust & sauce is very disproportionate. I will not buy these again. I don't usually do reviews but these were so unappetizing that I felt I had to share my experience.

Amazing! Love them

Comments about Pillsbury Toaster Scrambles:

These are absolutely amazing for a quick breakfast. I love these. The sweetness of the toaster strudels were starting to get to me, so I'm very glad that there is a more savory product. Definitely consider trying these. You won't be disappointed They're wonderful!

Quick Savory Snack, But Make Sure It's Heated Properly

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Pillsbury Toaster Scrambles:

I just love eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese and really anything savory and salty. If you have those cravings, you might like these toaster scrambles. The good thing is that they can last a long time in your freezer and they only take a few minutes to prepare. It can be tricky to heat these in just the toaster. If you cook it just long enough to heat the pie crust-like outside then the egg/cheese center is still cold. I found that I had to heat in the toaster and then put I the microwave for 30 second to make sure the inside is hot and melty and the outside is cooked, but not burnt.

I do like the idea that I can get a savory snack in a few minutes and not use the oven to prepare it. If this is prepared correctly, this is a tasty little treat, but it is not very filling. It really does consist mostly of the outside pastry, there is not much egg, meat or cheese. Lately, I've found it better and cheaper to just make a quiche and keep it in the fridge so I just need to heat up a piece when I have a craving---that way I can get eggs and cheese and something healthy like spinach.

Microwaved eggs

from Syracuse, New York

Comments about Pillsbury Toaster Scrambles:

Well, what can I say? My children are naturally breakfast lovers. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes it's not. Since my children think they should be allowed to eat breakfast foods all day, I try to buy things I can incorporate into meals. I picked up a package of toaster scrambles to try. In a rush one morning, I decide to try one. Here's what I thought: This is strange. First off, I don't know what I was thinking about buying an egg sandwich in a pastry? It wasn't all that great. I think more than anything I was quite amused. The egg's texture had changed as a result of the freezing process. The cheese was clumped in different areas instead of being more distributed or mixed with the other ingredients. The bacon was very minimal to say the least. The sandwich overall, was un-sustaining. I didn't really take too well to these but, my children think they are just great so I continue to buy them for the kids. I don't believe I will be eating them again though.

Not good at all

Comments about Pillsbury Toaster Scrambles:

My family loves to toaster strudels so we saw the scramblers and thought they would be great. We'll it was anything but that . You toast it over and over and the insides are still cold. It's awfully disappointing to think you are going to have this good tasting breakfast and instead your stuck eating a black on the outside frozen on the inside pocket of nastiness . If there was a better way to get this cooked on the inside and not burnt on the outside it would be awesome .

Good taste, if you can get it heated up correctly.

Comments about Pillsbury Toaster Scrambles:

My family and I like the taste of Pillsbury toaster scrambles. When we are in a hurry, these are a nice and quick option for breakfast. The only downside is that I can't ever seem to get the crust as crispy as I would like it without it nearly getting burnt. If you just put them in the toaster, the inside is usually not cooked through and the outside gets done too quickly. I read a review about putting them in the microwave and then putting them in the toaster and I plan to try that. Hopefully they will turn out better that way.

A biscuit like outside with eggs, cheese and meat on the inside.

Comments about Pillsbury Toaster Scrambles:

Pillsbury Toaster Scrambles are gross. I'm not sure what the egg product inside of these is, but it is not egg. It doesn't taste like or resemble egg in any way. Besides tasting dreadful, they are virtually impossible to eat. They are too hot to hold and too messy to bite into while holding which completely negates the benefit of an all in one "to go" breakfast.

yuck!

Comments about Pillsbury Toaster Scrambles:

I used to love these when I was younger. I'm not sure if I changed or these did because I'm disgusted with them now. The last time I ate them I felt sick because they were that bad. They have a odd taste. I'm not sure what kind of cheese it in these, but it's gross. The eggs and bacon are decent if you can find any. They are more expensive then what they are worth. I'm very disappointed in these.

Not as good as the originals.

Comments about Pillsbury Toaster Scrambles:

These are not the best. The cheese is fake tasting, the eggs don't taste like eggs, but the crust is the best. But if you are used to the the original toaster strudel then these are not for you. It also takes two times on the highest setting for these to heat up. And there is no icing to put on top like the originals. this would make these a little better. I tried the bacon and cheese flavored ones. I haven't tried the other flavors yet. They could be better for all I know. One does satisfy your hunger for breakfast. The package does come with six of them which is really good deal for the price. My kids don't really like them either and they are ages 19,17 and 13 all boys who usually eat everything too. And my kids

horrible.

Comments about Pillsbury Toaster Scrambles:

The crust is nice and flakey. but the cheese sauce is gross, you can taste the cheapness and doesn't cook all the make in the middle. there is still a horrible after taste in my mouth and I ate it 10 hrs ago. skimpy on meat and barley any eggs no wonder you get 6 for only 2 bucks. I will be going back to hot pockets breakfast ones instead.