3.8
Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow Pet Fountain

Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow Pet Fountain

3.8

Petmate has Turned my Boys into Water Guzzlers

I love to spoil my cats, and so I purchased a **Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow Pet Fountain** for them, in the hopes that they would drink the flowing water more frequently than the still water in their bowl. Having owned male cats for most of my life, I know that the more hydrated they are, the less likely they are to develop kidney or bladder infections, and I felt that having an "interesting" water fountain would make them drink more.

**About the Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow Pet Fountain**This fountain, available at most pet supply stores, is made of several plastic pieces that fit together easily with a water pump. Petmate sells charcoal filters to fit, and assembling it is as simple as finding a place to plug it in and adding water. Petmate sells their pet fountains in a variety of sizes, all the way up to a Jumbo size for dogs. The water is cycled up to the top of the device, and cascades silently down a ramp back into a pool where it's cycled back up again. Petmate includes a little plastic water reservoir for the side of the fountain that holds extra water, but because the water reservoir is difficult to clean, we choose to just add water to the fountain base when it gets low, leaving the reservoir empty.

**Using the Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow Fountain**I set up the fountain easily, and my cats were intrigued by it, although not inclined to immediately drink from it. Mostly they just peered at it suspiciously for nearly a week, preferring instead to drink from the dog's water bowl on the floor nearby. After several days they tentatively crept in for a drink, and then they were hooked. Now my guys love to jump up and lap water from the fountain - and they've even found a way for both of them to drink at the same time! Frank drinks from the very top of the fountain, at the spout where the water comes out just before it flows down the ramp. Ray drinks from the bottom of the fountain, where the water collects in a little pool to be pumped back up again. Their water drinking habits increased greatly after we installed the fountain next to their food bowls. Now, every time they get food from their feeder, they also make sure to get a nice drink of water as well. The fountain is mostly maintenance-free, requiring cleaning about once a week, and letting us know when it needs more water by making a slight noise. When the fountain has enough water, it's completely silent and doesn't interfere with our watching television in the same room.

**Cleaning the Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow Fountain**The only drawback to this fountain is that it definitely needs to be cleaned, at least once a week, and cleaning is much more involved than simply popping a water bowl into the dishwasher. Each week I unhook the fountain from the power supply using the quick disconnect cable, and I put all of the components except the reservoir (which never contains water), the filter and the pump itself, into the top shelf of our dishwasher. During this time, I place a regular water bowl at the cat's feeding area, in case they want to have a drink while their water fountain's being cleaned. Taking the fountain apart and putting it back together again seems cumbersome at first, but after a couple of cleanings it becomes a simple task and is second nature. Our Saturday kitchen cleaning always includes a good wash of the fountain. Once it's clean we simply reassemble it, fill it with water from a pitcher and plug it back in again for our grateful cats who are pleased to have their cool water toy back again.

**Cat's Bottom Line**I love this fountain because its quiet, easy to clean, and it intrigues my cats so they drink from it more frequently than they ever drank from their water bowl. I highly recommend the Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow Fountain to anyone looking to encourage their pets to drink more water. It's a great device and works wonderfully!

Petmate Fountain: Cat's love it, requires some maintainance

Hello All,

Hello All,
I bought this fountain because my two cats enjoy drinking out of the faucet. High water consumption is very important for feline health as many cats can develop kidney and urinary issues. My cats really loved it and had no trouble adjusting to it. The fountain was easy to assemble out of the package and it did not take long before it was up and running.

I purchased this particular fountain after looking at different models online and ultimately chose this one based on price and brand. I have other products by Petmate and find them to be of good quality and reliable. I also chose this fountain because it was available at nearby stores (Wal-mart) and I could buy replacement filters easily.

The two issues I had with the fountain were the volume of water it held, and keeping it clean. Even with the filter the plastic bowl would develop a slimy film from the cats saliva. The fountain can be disassembled to be cleaned, but certain areas are very hard to reach without a special brush like you may use on lab ware graduated cylinders. Even with these brushes, some corners may retain build up that can really accumulate over time.

The volume of water may not be an issue with a one-cat household, but with two cats I felt I was filling it quite often to prevent the gurgling noise it makes when empty. I was worried the motor might burn out while I was not at home to refill it on time, but luckily this never happened. I believe there may be one larger size available now for dogs, but this can get pretty pricey.

I used this fountain for almost 6 months before I got fed up not being able to keep it sterile to provide a healthy water source for my cats. I now just keep three stainless steel bowls on the counter for the cats and scrub them out daily with a dish brush and refill them. I can just as easily pop them in the dishwasher once a week when I do the other dishes. I know most people aren't this fastidious about water bowls, but as an animal keeper I guess I can be a bit of a clean freak. I find the best health care for animals is preventative healthcare involving proper nutrition, a clean environment, regular veterinary visits, and plenty of enrichment (play time!).

Overall, the fountain is a great way to get fussy cats to drink more water, but does require some maintenance. I would still recommend it to someone who has a cat that has trouble getting the required amount of water or who has urinary/kidney issues. Just be sure to regularly check the cleanliness and water level :)

Not around little ones

from Syracuse, New York

Comments about Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow Pet Fountain:

I have a pet name Tommy. He is such a funny and quirky little guy. I saw the Petmate Fresh Flow Cat Fountain online and thought it was really cute so I purchased one for Tommy. For the most part, when I reflect back on it I should have thought it through a bit more. The fountain has a cool shape and design and can easily fit in with the majority of home decor without looking out of place. These fountains actually come in different colors. It is really convenient and handy in some ways too. I didn't have to fill his water bowl as often. For the first few days Tommy was not exactly amused. It kind of seemed like he was scared of it. At the same time, it was kind of funny to watch him as he looked it over. After a couple of days though I finally saw him drinking from it. He seemed to enjoy it immensely. It functioned very well and operated quietly. The only major concern I had actually had nothing to do with the unit. My only warning would be to keep it out of the reach of children. It is as if this fountain is a curious kid magnet. It simply doesn't hold up well to the tinkering of a kid.

Annoying to Clean but Cats Love it!

Comments about Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow Pet Fountain:

I hate cleaning this cat fountain. Fortunately, most of it can be thrown into the dishwasher. It has many nooks and crannies that are hard to clean. The cats really love it though so that makes up for the extra work. Maybe the cats would like it less if they had to clean it.

I hope you like the sound of running water

from Liberty, KY

Comments about Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow Pet Fountain:

It will attract your animals and cause them to drink. Good for dogs (small ones). I wouldn't recommend it for cats unless you need to make them drink more. Cats fed a dry (kibble) diet have to have more fluids in their diets or they may develop kidney issues. If you're feeding a raw food diet, drinking extra water is unnecessary and a sign of problems. Cleaning it has to be done quite frequently. While it won't look like it needs a cleaning, if you feel all the working components, you will feel the slime that builds up on it. Best to disinfect it weekly, making sure to rinse it very well. If you have hard water you will have scale build up while may shorten the useable life of the unit. We have well water and have to run pure vinegar through the unit for about an hour every 3-5 days to keep it running smoothly; otherwise it gunks up. And if you don't like the sound of running/trickling water, make sure you have a corner you can put it where you won't hear it yet that's close to an outlet.

Great for moth cats and dogs.

Comments about Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow Pet Fountain:

I have both cats and dogs at my home, and I really feel that it is important for my pets to have constant fresh water even when I forget about them and forget to change their water. This fountain does the job well and isn't too big or small. I have two of these fountains and they're pretty great. One of them in the bedroom and one in the living room. My pets seem to like it fine, but in the beginning my youngest dog Koby was terrified of it. He would constantly bark at it and run from it. Eventually, he got over it and drinks from it fine now. I like the sleek design of this fountain and my pets seem to all like it as well. There are many brands of pet fountains, but this brand was reasonably priced and worked as it was supposed to. I do recommend this fountain, but if you re good about changing your water, I don't see why you couldn't just use a regular pet dish for their water. This product is great, but it is certainly not a necessity for owning pets.

Pet drinking fountain

Comments about Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow Pet Fountain:

Our cats love this fountain and it is built much more sturdy than others of this size. Easy to clean and fill and replacement filters are not too expensive. Once we got this our one cat who seldom drinks water was interested immediately. He loves watching the water flow. I also like this particular fountain as it is not as noisy as others and the water actually flows gently in to the "well".

Cats liked it

from Mount Airy, MD

Comments about Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow Pet Fountain:

My cats liked the movement of the water.  My only complaint is that the water tank developed green algae in it, so I had to stop using it.  I called the company, and they said to add a couple drops of bleach to the water (I think...don't do it though because I'm not positive).  Whatever it was they told me to do I rejected, because I give my cats bottled water and didn't want to introduce any chemicals to their water.  I ended up just removing the water talk and filling the bowl more often.

My cats love this

from Crum Lynne, PA

Comments about Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow Pet Fountain:

My cats love this. I bought it because my breed of cats (Himalayan) are prone to kidney disease and need to drink plenty of water to prevent this. It definately attracts them more and they love the constant running water. I just wish that you didn't have to take the whole thing apart every time it needs to be cleaned.

My cat loves it!

from Casa Grande, AZ

Comments about Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow Pet Fountain:

I purchased this fountain for my cat about two years ago.  My husband had gotten into the habit of putting ice cubes in my cat's regular water bowl and got him spoiled very quickly.  Plus my cat has suffered in the past from UTIs and also has diabetes, so it's important to keep him hydrated.  I purchased this fountain, and my cat adores it.  Sometimes he even sits and watches the flow...I think he's meditating!  I clean his bowl about once a week, and it's very easy to clean.  I change the filter every 2-3 months, and I still have the same fountain I purchased two years ago.  Highly recommended!

Took some adjusting but they love it now

from Gilroy, CA

Comments about Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow Pet Fountain:

Cats weren't sure about this new contraption that I brought home at first. I wanted to know that the water they were drinking was fresh, and wanted to make sure that they were drinking enough. At first they drank from it while I was trying to set  it up, but once I plugged it in they really seemed alittle intimidated by it. I moved there old water feeder bowl next to it so they could slowly begin adjusting to there knew water spot and that it was okay to drink from it. It took less then a week for both of them to take to it and enjoy it. One of them enjoys drinking from the water flowing down the most. They also enjoy watching the water flow.There both drinking more water which is great fr them and I know the water in fresher and cleaner, great for me. Clean up is pretty easy, haven't had any problems yet with any of it.

I'm not impressed by the staying power of this product

from New Brighton, PA

Comments about Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow Pet Fountain:

I bought this for my cat with a urinary tract problem.  I actually have two cats.  I'm on my second one in 3 months.  I am not impressed at all with this product.  The filters go quickly and I have city water.  The water flow is not consistant.