Other Bread Machines:

Oster ExpressBake Bread Maker

Pros

Cons

Oster ExpressBake Bread Machine makes bread makng easy

Who doesn't love the smell of fresh bread baking? I had grand dreams of having fresh bread in the house when we got married. There was only one problem with that... I don't bake. So I added a bread machine to our registry so I could get a little assistance with the baking process. Not knowing anything about bread machines I got the Oster Express Bake Bread Maker.

While I don't take out our bread machine often, when we're in the mood for some fresh bread, it's handy to have. My boys enjoy watching the process as the dough rises as well. They think it's entertaining to watch it mix around in the pan. If you have yeast in the cupboard, making bread in this machine is very easy and I quite enjoy it.

I have tried both settings described below and much prefer the longer version. The bread turns out much lighter and airier in this mode. The other settings take at least 2 hours to complete to allow the yeast to properly rise. I've had bread loaves turn out a variety of ways and versions of done-ness... Now that I have figured this setting out I can get fairly consistent results from the machine.

With a variety of settings, the bread maker allows for tons of baking options. I believe I've pretty much used the regular settings and the express bake. The menu of options is customizable including crust color (except in expressbake mode). The settings include: basic, french, sweet, 2 expressbake, whole wheat, dough, and bake. The manual includes step by step instructions for each of these settings as well as popular recipes to use in each. As I stated the express bake setting has 2 different setting. One is 58 minutes and one takes 80 minutes.

The machine itself is large, which is probably the reason I rarely get it out. This bulk though makes it one heck of a sturdy machine. We've had ours for over 10 years and it still works like a charm. There is a pan inside makes up to a 2-lb loaf of bread. The mixing piece locks into place - though it creates a small hole in your bread... but that's what you get for using a bread machine and not a regular pan. There is also a window on the top so you can see the progress your bread is making. On some of the settings this comes in helpful as you are instructed not to raise the lid.

Not the best bread machine for amateurs

I received this bread machine from my mother after she decided to continue using her older one, which has a larger capacity. This one produces fairly small loaves, but the machine itself is not particularly compact and has a rounded shape to it, so it can be a little difficult to fit on the countertop or in a cabinet. I usually end up leaving it on the counter just because it's so hard to store it with other appliances or kitchenware. It's not very heavy, though, so moving it from one space to another isn't very difficult. There's a window on the door so you can check on the bread easily. I'm not an expert bread baker and only do it on occasion, but I've had mixed results with this machine. Sometimes not all of the crust has cooked evenly and the part surrounding the kneading blade often comes out slightly doughy and inedible. If you're an experienced bread baker, you might know how to avoid this, but if you're an amateur like me, you'll probably just be somewhat frustrated and discouraged by it. The recipes they provide are easy enough to follow but, again, don't guarantee that you'll produce a good loaf. The settings are very simple, although the manual doesn't make it clear what the differences between things like crust darknesses are (light, medium, and dark don't mean much to an amateur without a reference point). This is probably a good machine for intermediate bakers, but for those who bake frequently and those who have little experience, you may want to look at other machines first.

Stability While in Use
Haven't noticed any problems.

The loaves I've made have rarely been cooked thoroughly.

Simple instructions and buttons but outcomes have been inconsistent for me.

No problems with the door, window, or kneading blade as long as I've had it.

Awesome bread maker

from Dallas,TX

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Consistency
  • Delicious Bread
  • Easy To Use
  • Simple Settings

Cons

• Gluten Free Bread
    • Loaves
    • Rolls

Comments about Oster ExpressBake Bread Maker:

There's nothing going better then baking your own bread. I learned how to make zucchini bread and was dying for a bread maker. I actually found this at a yard sale and figured I could put good use to it. I'm beyond impressed with this bread maker! Talk about healthier, fresh bread. The manual is pretty easy to follow. You even get a couple recipes to try. Even if you're not a baker, this is so easy to use. I love the express feature, it can make a loaf in about an hour. No more running to the store for bread. I made a cinnamon raisin bread and it came out so soft and moist. Love this bread maker. Very easy to clean The pan is dishwasher safe as well. It's not to bulky either and isn't too heavy. Another great feature is that it doesn't get too hot. It's cool to the touch which is great since my 6 year old Is quite curioys. This is great for those with kids.

Makes My Kitchen Feel Like A Bakery

Comments about Oster ExpressBake Bread Maker:

I love making bread with this bread maker. I love how good the bread smells once I pop it out and let it cool down. I really recommend this bread maker to anyone who loves to bake from scratch.

Stability While in Use
    I haven't had any kind of problems with the stability of my bread maker. I like that it is very well built and hasn't given me reason to worry about it breaking.

This bread maker gets the job done pretty quickly. The bread always comes out nice and hot and is always well baked just like what you would get at a real bakery that bakes its own bread.

I didn't have any problems with how to use my bread maker after a quick scan of the instruction manual. I had never baked my own bread before buying this bread maker so I learned pretty quickly.

I have had no issues with the durability of my bread maker. I use it quite often and it still runs just as smoothly as it did the very first time I used it. I expect not to have to buy another bread maker for a very long time.

awesome for beginners

from Tampa, FL

Comments about Oster ExpressBake Bread Maker:

I like the Oster ExpressBake Bread Maker. It's the first and only bread machine I've owned, so I can't really compare it to other models. But I have always been able to make a serviceable loaf of bread, even once after accidentally putting the ingredients in without the paddle and having to carefully scoop out the ingredients into separate pans, wipe out the loaf pan, put the paddle in, and carefully scoop the bowls of ingredients back into the loaf pan. Did I mention I had turned it on too, and had to turn it off and unplug it first? Luckily it had not gotten to the heat cycle yet. But, yeah. This thing is pretty dependable.

Stability While in Use
    I haven't had any issues with stability. It's heavy and it gets hot while it's in use, so by necessity I have to set it on a counter top away from other objects. I haven't had a loaf fall yet.

My loaves tend to come out a little dense with a thick crust. That might be me though, and not the bread machine. I've adjusted my settings to light crust and that helps some. I am also going to try switching to all purpose flour because that makes a lighter loaf.

There is a bit of a learning curve with using a bread machine. This one is fairly simple and comes with an instruction book that gives you some good starter recipes to get going. You have to be careful to put in the wet ingredients first, followed by the dry, and make a hole for the yeast. Oh, also do those things after you put the paddle in. Then you snap the loaf pan into the machine, close the lid and choose your settings (which are not at all complicated) and let 'er rip.

I was a novice when I bought this gently used, so I would have to say its durability is pretty impressive. I haven't broken any pieces yet, or scorched anything beyond repair.

Great Bread Machine

Profile Image

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Oster ExpressBake Bread Maker:

I received this bread machine from a blog sweepstakes that I entered about one year ago and have been very pleased with its performance since it arrived at my door. I use it primarily to make dough recipes that I can than bake in the oven such as dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls. I have used it here and there to make breads that came out very good. I just wish the manual came with more recipe ideas or that there were more resources online for bread machine specific recipes. I have never had a problem with my dough sticking to the mixing bowl or spatula inside when in operation mixing up a recipe. I also really enjoy having so many options with this machine such as programmable timer so it can make my selection even if I am busy or out of the house. It also has a one hour warming feature if you are not able to take out your bread as soon as it finishes. The control panel is very user friendly and offers selections for various types of baking options including an express bake feature which can cook your bread in just under an hour which is impressive with a bread machine. The mixing bowl in the machine is also dishwasher safe which is a very nice feature for me because I hate hand washing anything. The housing is also cool touch meaning it does not get hot to the touch when in use which is also important to me with my toddler's growing curiosity in the kitchen. This machine also features a little window on top to view the progress of your current item be it bread, dough or jam being made.

• Stability While in Use:

This bread machine makes bread delicious

from Nesconset, NY

Comments about Oster ExpressBake Bread Maker:

I have never in my life made bread until I bought the oster express bake bread maker. I've always seen on cooking shows how to make bread, but it seemed so difficult. I seen this bread maker and was dying to try it so I bought it and gave it a try. I bought bread mix and followed the instructions. On the machine itself it has a 13 hour delay if you want to let the dough rise before you cook it. Once I was ready to cook it, I started it up and it was unbelievable. It took less than an hour to break a giant loaf of homemade bread. It was so great to see my kids excited about making their own bread and liking it more than the store brand. The price isn't too bad, but it's definitely worth it. It even has a warming setting on the machine to keep the bread warm if you like it like that. Best bread machine. So far, everytime I've used it which has been a lot, it has come out perfect. I don't think I'll go back to eating store bought everyday.

• Stability While in Use:

Fantastic bread machine for your money

Comments about Oster ExpressBake Bread Maker:

The Oster ExpressBake Bread Maker 5838 is a simply amazing bread machine for what it costs. Actually it is a great bread machine at any cost. My favorite thing about this is that it is FOOL proof! I had one bad batch and it was because I used OLD yeast. Make sure your yeast is fresh! With this machine you REALLY need to follow the directions that come with the machine. It is also important to use room temp liquids so your yeast will do what it needs to do. I have made a ton of loaves of bread with this machine and each and every one turns out great with a prep time of about 6 minutes- you CAN'T beat that!

Stability While in Use
    This machine is perfectly stable- it does not shake or vibrate while the mixing the dough. It is very well built.

This machine makes excellent bread. I had one bad loaf and it was because I used old yeast.

The machine is so easy to use. You simply add the ingredients and, select your setting and press start. The hardest thing about this machine is you MUST follow the directions correctly. You can't add ingredients out of order.

I have had this machine for awhile and it still looks great. Super durable- everything functions like a dream.

• Stability While in Use:

Hard working bread maker!

from Ottawa Illinois

Comments about Oster ExpressBake Bread Maker:

Nice compact little bread maker! We made all kinds of bread and also pizza dough and French bread dough with this machine! Very durable and the Express Bake is a great time saver as you don't have to wait all day for it to make the bread!

Stability While in Use
    It does well in kneading and mixing the dough but the only drawback it had was it did walk a bit when it kneaded or mixed the dough. But part of the problem was the consistency of the dough. If you made the dough exactly as the recipe called for, there were no problems.

The machine did as it was described in the book and mine performed well with no problems till I wore it our after 5 years of 2 days a week use. It mixed every thing with no problems and once in a LONG while did it have an air pocket in the bread.

It was easy to follow directions and simple instructions to program the machine. You can also make 3 different sized loafs and also has a timer to make the bread on a delayed mode so you can have fresh bread when you get home from work or get up in the morning to fresh baked bread.

Very sturdy for the use we put it through and the machine ran well for 5 years of use we put it through!!!

• Stability While in Use:

I am happy with my bread machine

Comments about Oster ExpressBake Bread Maker:

I am very happy with my Oster bread machine. I end up making bread 3 out of the 7 days of the week and the whole family enjoys it. I usually end up making plain white bread but there are times I will try to spruce it up a bit and end up making Banana Bread, Peanut bread or some kind of fruit bread. I have had to get used to figuring out how much of each ingredient I have had to insert in the recipe but I am finding out I am getting better at making bread in this machine. That is the reason why you need to be very accurate in order to produce a nice loaf of bread.
    The bread machine itself has 8 settings in which you can bake bread, I usually use the express 80 minute option to bake a 2 pound loaf. You can choose how dark or light you would want it. As for the cleaning it is very easy to clean. Just pop off the pan and that is about it. Very satisfied with this bread machine.

Pretty stable.

Works great

Just set the settings to what you want it and you're set.

Have had it close to a year.

• Stability While in Use:

Works well and bread tastes great.

Comments about Oster ExpressBake Bread Maker:

I love baking bread and I have been doing so for only a few months now. It is really tiring for me to do it using my oven so a friend of mine recommended the Oster ExpressBake Bread Maker 5838 for me. I must say that this appliance and kitchen tool has saved me a lot of time and trouble.
    I would kneed the dough in the morning and let it sit so it can rise slowly on its own. When it is ready for me to bake, I just cut it into the right size pieces and then put them in the bread maker one by one. About an hour later I have myself a delicious and perfect loaf of bread.
    Now I do love this machine for making baking bread simpler for me, and it cuts down on cleaning time as well. However what I don't like is how long it takes to make the loaf of bread. It is small so I can only fit one loaf at a time. When using the regular oven to make bread, I used to fit up to 3 loaves at a time. With the Oster ExpressBake Bread Maker 5838, it will take me p to 3 hours to make 3 loaves of bread, but honestly I don't mind. It saves me a lot of trouble and time by cutting down the cleaning process and making it easier for me. I will never stop using this for as long as I have it.

Mmm...Fresh Bread!

Comments about Oster ExpressBake Bread Maker:

We got one of these because my mother went through a bread baking phase. I thought she was crazy, but once I began to use it, I fell in love. This is by far one of the easiest kitchen appliances to use. You skimpily set it and forget it and you have fresh baked bread!
    There are three time settings. Mine is the three hour setting. I feel like the bread comes out better. Also, the smell of three hours of bed baking is heavenly!
    The crust gets nice and golden brown and crispy. The inside is nice, fluffy, and soft. Seriously, it could not get much better!
    Although the machine itself can be a little loud, it is not obnoxious or hard to tune out. It can be a little difficult to clean, but so it be it.
    For amateur bread makers, like myself, this little bread machine makes it so easy and so fun to make a fresh loaf of bread before dinner. If you have unexpected dinner guests, what better way to impress them by making a fresh loaf of bread. But, on second thought, you don't want to make them to comfortable and drop in more often!