3.4
Medela Pump & Save Storage Bags

Medela Pump & Save Storage Bags

3.4

Medela Pump & Save bags are perfect for the freezer

The Medela Pump and Save bags are a great way to store breastmilk.

I purchased a box of these when my son was born and they turned out to be a great storage...Read complete review

The Medela Pump and Save bags are a great way to store breastmilk.

I purchased a box of these when my son was born and they turned out to be a great storage container.

The bags come in 50 or 100 count boxes in most stores. I got a 50 count box to try them,  and loved them! I am a stay-at-home mom so I didn't have a need to stock up on a ton of milk since my son rarely takes a bottle. But they came in handy on the occasions where I was gone and he was hungry. I used up all 50 bags and froze them so that he can continue to use them as he is weaning.

They have a no-leak, easy-to-close zipper top, which I found easy to do, even late at night.

They are BPA-free (as are all Medela products) and the plastic is double-walled for long term storage.

They have a no-spill, stand-up bottom, which truly does stand up and I have had no fear of them tipping over as I was sealing them. They also stand well in the freezer. I think they take up a lot less space than plastic bottles.

Plus, have you ever dropped frozen plastic? The thick solid plastic of normal containers has a tendency to shatter when dropped (especially from freezer height), but these bags are more like, well, a bag. :) They don't shatter if they are accidentally dropped.

The bags can be attached directly to the breast shield when pumping with a Medela pump, by using the self stick strap. This way you pump directly into the bag, which has oz. and ml. markings to know how much milk is in the bag. After pumping, you tear the strap to remove it from the shield, and you zip it shut. You can tear it along the perforation above the zipper to remove and discard the strap and extra plastic.

Above the zipper it has an area to write on (Sharpies work great here) where you can add the date and the amount of milk in the bag. It also has a place for a name. Although, I am not sure why you would need this, unless you were sending the bag along with your child to a place where others were also sending milk? Maybe a daycare?

I suppose you could also use the name area if you had multiples and were trying to keep track of how much each child was using.

I never had a need for this and just used the date and amount areas.

The bags hold 5 oz. and are pre-sterilized.

I also used the bags if I pumped into a bottle and wanted to freeze it, I would just transfer the milk to a bag and was all set for the freezer.

When you want to use a frozen bag, you treat it the same as a frozen bottle - by running it under warm water or sitting in a pan of warm water. Then you open the bag and pour it into whatever your child is drinking from - bottle, sippy, cup, etc.

I think this is a wonderful product and would truly recommend it. I am finishing breastfeeding my son, but if I have another child, I would DEFINITELY use these again.

They work good, but there are other cheaper options that work!

I used several of these Medela Pump and Save Storage bags because I had a free sample of them when I bought my Medela breast pump.  I thought that they would be my best option because I was very impressed with my Medela breast pump and the brand Medela is very well thought of.  The bags worked just fine for me, I didn't use the sticky tab option, I was always afraid that I'd spill pumped milk, a.k.a. gold, that way - so I always pumped into the bottles and then transfered the breast milk into the storage bags.  When I ran out, I saw that Lansinoh bags were much cheaper so I bought a package of those - and they worked just as well, but were a lot cheaper.  In fact, I prefer the Lansinoh bags because they seem to hold more milk.  Even if they were the same price, I would purchase the Lansinoh breast milk bags.  Factor in the fact that the Medela bags cost a lot more too and that makes my vote for Lansinoh bags even stronger.

Save your money!!!

from Lancaster, OH

Comments about Medela Pump & Save Storage Bags:

For the mothers that need milk storage bags, you hear the name Medlela and think you are getting what you are paying for (which is pricy) Well on this case, I am going to tell any mother that pump and need milk storage bags, do not throw away your hard earned money on these ones. They hold 5 ounces. That is it. There is many bags out there that are labeled to hold 6 ounces that I have been able to pour at least 10 to 15 ounces into a bag. Furthermore, these bag do not like to seal right. Yes, they do come with this nifty little tool that allows you to pump right into the bag without having to use a bottle. I found it more of a hassle than a bottle. I can pump out a good 6 to 7 ounces a side, and these bags fit 5? I would have to stop in the middle of a pump just to change the bag. I don’t want that hassle. I would rather have my 10 ounce bottle that I empty in between pumps then have to stop monkey around with a very hard to seal bag, rehang a bag, and start pumping again. No thanks! Save your money mom’s, buy cheaper! This time it will pay off on skipping out and buying cheaper breast milk stuff.

Medela bags are good but I don't prefer.

Comments about Medela Pump & Save Storage Bags:

I love the thickness of the bag and how it can stand as I'm filling it with my milk but the price is a little high compared to other brands. Also you have to make sure they are sealed correctly as it only has one push together seal as opposed to another brand that has the double seal. So if its not sealed properly it can cause a huge frozen inconvenient mess in your freezer.

Eh. You can find better.

from Dacula, GA

Comments about Medela Pump & Save Storage Bags:

First, let me say this, these bags absolutely do what they are designed for. They hold milk. Specifically, 5 oz of milk or less. This is a problem for me because I get at least 6 oz from each side this go round. I'm on baby number three and tandem nursing with my 2.5 year old when at home. So, the small size of the Medela bags compared to almost every other brand of milk storage bag the first "con". "Con" number two, the material is stiff and hard and darn it these bags flop over and spill my hard earned liquid gold all over the dang place! Now lets talk about the fancy dancy tape thingy that hooks the bag to your flange so you don't have to hold it on. That's great, but if you're double pumping three times a day, chances are you aren't going to fill those bags. More than likely you'll end up with a couple full bags and a few half full ones. That's an awful lot of money to waste. I say, pick up a couple cheap 4 oz bottles and pump into those and put the milk into a larger breast milk storage bag. You could save 3-4 bags a day! Be sure to follow important guidelines on milk storage though like not adding warm milk to frozen milk. If you really want to hook the bags to your flange, do what I do, get better bags and use a paper clip to hook them on!

Bottom Line: Don't take these back if you got them at your shower. Just be careful not to let them tip over, and try a different brand next time!

Medela Pump & Save Storage bags aren't the best available

from Omaha, NE

Comments about Medela Pump & Save Storage Bags:

The Medela Pump and Save Storage bags are a below average product. They only hold 5 ounces and will often leak. This product would benefit by adding an extra zip like the Lanisoah bags have. These bags are hard to pour from. I do like the fact that they attach well to my Medela pump, but have discontinued use of them because of the leaking issues. Do not trust the measurements, they are not accurate. These are also pretty expensive for the amount of milk that they hold. I do not recommend this product to my friends, I recommend the Lanisoah ones, which have never opened up and leaked all over my freezer floor, like the Medela ones do. Medela has been known to have good customer service, so if you do have a problem with these, they would probably give you a refund.

Great storage baggies

from York, PA

Comments about Medela Pump & Save Storage Bags:

Medela is a great, innovative and supportive company for breastfeeding mothers.  If you have a Medela (or othe r compatible) pump, you can attach these bags to the pump horns for direct collection.  I do not prefer to do this, no real reason, just my preference.  This is a high quality storage bag for breastfeeding moms who freeze their milk.  I use them to freeze any extra milk.  They each hold about 2-6 ounces of liquid.  I use bottles for fresh milk.  These are convenient to store flat in the freezer and they thaw quickly.  When they are frozen flat they do not take up much room.  I never had a problem with them leaking.  They stand up on their own, so transfer the milk from pump bottles to bags, it pretty easy to accomplish without spilling the "liquid gold". The labeling is easy for daycare.  A very useful item. The Lansinoh brand bags are a bit cheaper and serve the purpose just as well.

They work good

from Muskogee, OK

Comments about Medela Pump & Save Storage Bags:

They work good, but there are other cheaper options that work!

from Salem, OR

Comments about Medela Pump & Save Storage Bags:

Simple breastmilk storage, but lots of milk wasted

from Renville, MN

Comments about Medela Pump & Save Storage Bags:

I was really excited to try these bags, as it would save me a few steps when pumping and freezing my breastmilk. No need to use bottles, which means no washing bottles, just attach the bag right to the pump cones, filling the bags, it sounds so easy. Well the bags attached on the cones make it difficult to get things cleaned up as you aren't able to stand up the bags easily without them falling over and spilling the precious milk.  It is also a bit akward trying to hold the bags while pumping both sides at the same time.

The bags aren't very large, I prefer the bags that hold 8 ounces. The bags are also made of a sort of stiff plastic. I had a few frozen bags fall out of the freezer and because the bags were stiff to begin with they cracked or got a hole in them and when thawed the milk was again wasted. They are also a bit difficult to pour out of, also wasting more milk.

These bags are also quite a bit more expensive than the others that are available. I prefer to get more for my money.

Medela Pump is a must but not the Storage Bags

from Clinton, MS

Comments about Medela Pump & Save Storage Bags:

Unlike many of the nurses at the hospital, I do not think that breastfeeding is for everyone.  However, I chose to attempt the task, and I knew that if I went back to work I would need to pump.  The Medela Breast Pump is a must have for nursing mothers who want to leave their house without babies at least one time.  After waiting the recommended time, I began to pump, and it helped to remove the milk perfectly for my son.  Also, when we transitioned to a bottle/formula, this was a great way to begin practicing using a bottle with mommy's milk.  I enjoyed having a little freedom while I was breastfeeding, and the pump was a painless, wonderful solution.

However, I tried 2 brands of freezer bags for breast milk, and I assumed the Medela Breast Milk Storage Bags would work better with the pump because they were the same brand, but they were my least favorite.  It was really hard to get an accurate measurement from the bad, and they tended to be harder close, which caused me to lose some milk at times.

Not my choice of breastmilk storage

from Lexington, KY

Comments about Medela Pump & Save Storage Bags:

I received this bags when I bought my pump from another lady and I was really excited that they were easy to travel with and did not take a lot of room to store.  I like that they have a strip that goes across the pump that holds it in place so that you do not have to hold the bag in place the whole time.  I also like that the bag does not take up a lot of room when storing and can be paid down or set up straight in the freezer.  I did not like that the bag did not accurately measure the amount of milk I had pumped and would overcalculate so that when I feed my baby the milk, I did not have enough because I thought I had more than I did.  The bags are relatively inexpensive but I wish that they had the option to rinse and clean and use again and again.  I did like that the bags were well labeled so I could easily see how much milk I had pumped and how much I had to go (even if this wasn't exactly accurate.)