Other Depression Medicines:
Lexapro
Lexapro Antidepressant

Lexapro Antidepressant

Pros

• Works quickly (3)

• Daily use (3)

Lexapro is a very effective presctiption medication.

Lexapro: A wonder drug for anxiety sufferers.

Lexapro: A wonder drug for anxiety sufferers.

I have been taking Lexapro for almost five years. My doctor diagnosed me as having mini-panic attacks and I have always worried about EVERYTHING. My worry got to the point that I was often in tears because of it and I even had physical symptons similar to having too much caffeine in one's system. When my doctor ordered some tests to rule out physcial cause, the results always came back normal. The last time I was so relieved that everything was normal I started crying in the doctor's office. When she asked me if I was depressed, I said, "No", that I was just stressed. Then she suggested I try a medication (Lexapro) to help with the anxiety. Wow! What a difference!! Withing a few days, my boyfriend could even tell I was feeling better. He told me I  was back to my old self.

My doctor explained a little about brain chemistry to me. She told me that stress can deplete your levels of serotonin (a chemical in out brains that makes us feel calm). She said that medications like Lexapro are Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI's) and work to restore the levels of the calming Seratonin. She also explained that there should be no shame in taking an antidepressant because anxiety and depression are caused by chemical imbalances and the medication just restores the balance.

A friend of mine is a pharmacist and had already been taking Lexapro for several years said simply, "It's a wonderful drug." She also used this analogy to explain how it works: She said to imagine I had turned on the water  in the bathtub but forgot to plug the drain. All the water would just go down the drain. That's what can happen to the calming chemicals in your brain. SSRI's like Lexapro "plug" the drian, so to speak, so that it stay's in your brain and you feel calm.

Some people only need to take it for a relatively short time (I think 1 year is about average), but other people (like myself) may feel they want to stay on it for a longer time. It's very individulaized; my advice is to do what makes you feel the best.

The only down side to Lexapro is that in some people it cause weight gain. I have gained weight on it, but my two close friends that were also on it did not gain weight. Everyone's body responds differently. I like how I worry less thatn I used to and I like how much better I feel now, so I am trying to just say that the side effect is worth it because of how well Lexapro works on my emotions.

We shouldn't have to choose between a fit body and a fit mind.

***Quick View:*** Some of you may know I am hyper. What you may not know is that I am anxious and that comes out in hyperness at times. I have had anxiety my whole life and was once almost housebound because of it. I have overcome so much but, a while ago, I was talking to my doctor about my lack of motivation and my looming anxiety about my sons' well-being and he suggested a completely "safe" medication, **Lexapro**. I don't even take Tylenol so I said NO WAY. However, I eventually did try it hoping to get back my old spirit and get up and go. Uhhh ... well, my experience was a strange one.***My Experience with Lexapro***My first question to my doctor was, "Will this make me gain weight?" Yes, I am THAT vain. I had been 123 pounds for years and I had no plans of changing that. Not even if I felt a little better. He told me that he had NO patients who EVER experienced weight gain. Well, now he does.I started super slow. I only took a teeeeeny bit of the 10mg pill. Then I upped it to 5mg. I had side effects like headaches, nausea, and tiredness but I knew that was transient. When I saw I A) didn't die on 5mg. and B) didn't gain weight, I decided to up my dose to 7.5mg. Finally, I arrived at 10mg, the lowest dose that is prescribed of this antidepressant.I again experienced side effects. Headaches, no appetite (I didn't mind that), sleepiness, funky head shocks. After a few weeks that went away and I forgot about the medication. That is, I took it and went on with my life.I felt OK. I didn't get more "get up and go" but my anxiety was less. Less to the point where I didn't care too much about anything. But still, I wasn't worrying my guts out every time my son got in his car or my other one left the house.I noticed that I gained about three pounds after a month on **Lexapro**. I didn't attribute that gain to the drug. I then saw I went up a total of five pounds in about six weeks after starting the 10mg dose. I have a thyroid condition so I hightailed it to my doctor and told him I needed to up my thyroid meds because I was gaining weight. Whenever my thyroid levels dip, I gain weight and feel awful. But my blood tests came back normal. My thyroid was doing its job. Hmmm.In nine weeks on Lexapro, I gained almost 10 pounds. I freaked. The scale just kept going up even though by then I had embarked in a very strict diet and started exercising like crazy. Nothing I did helped. When I gained another pound after a week of 1200 calories of clean foods and seven days of cardio, I knew **Lexapro** was killing my metabolism. Oh, by the way, it didn't kill my libido like many antidepressants can and do. But I killed it because I was not happy with my body.I continued on the Lexapro for another month, eating 1200 calories and exercising like crazy only to see the scale inch up another three. My doctor then conceded that SOME people DO gain weight on **Lexapro.** YA THINK????He suggested adding Wellbutrin, another type of antidepressant, to offset the lethargy and weight gain that Lexapro caused. No way I was not getting on that merry go round!I decided on my own (with the doctor scowling) to taper the Lexapro and have. I am on 5mg. now and have still not lost an ounce. I have worked out more than any other time in my life and I am eating so well, it's disgusting. I guess I can thank Lexapro for helping me to eat better, cleaner, fresher, and healthier. I don't feel any worse or better than when I was on 10mg. I do worry about my kids but don't parents usually do that? I'm thinking my worry is natural and not something I want to mask.Please know that I was not depressed per se and I was not in dire need of a medication. I would never suggest to anyone to get off any antidepressant if it is helping them to cope - even if they did gain weight. But, in my case, the weight gain is bringing me down further than I ever was. I hate it. I am obsessed with it. No, I'm not fat, but I like to be in control of my body and I'm not suddenly.I will be completely off **Lexapro** in a few weeks. I know it will take time to get out of my system and I will assess myself then. Although it did help some with my anxiety, I just could never be happy if I kept gaining weight. I know people on antidepressants who have gained upwards of 80 pounds! It's awful that people have to choose between feeling mentally well or being physically fit and looking good. Weight gain doesn't always happen with **Lexapro**. Some lose weight. Some maintain. I happen to be among those who gained. And that made me very depressed. I now feel I am getting control back and am on the path back to 123. Like I said, I am not fat but I know where I want to be and how I want to look and, even though few people really notice the 12 or 13 pounds I am carrying around, I DO. And I wasn't going to stay on this medication and let it get the better of me like I have seen antidepressants do to others. I feel fine and don't plan to attempt any antidepressants again unless I am very depressed. I feel they have a place in this world and have helped many people - even several in my own family. But I think in my case, I will exercise, eat well, meditate, and self talk when I start to get anxious or lethargic. I don't like medications and I don't want side effects. If I can't help myself then I will get help from a medication if I must.This drug may be exactly what you need to help you over the hump and, if it works for you, I will be so happy for you. I wish it had worked well for me. But, for the few benefits I got, the weight gain wasn't worth it.***My Viewpoint*****Lexapro **is a potent antidepressant. I didn't know it is one of the strongest out there and works differently than many others. It seemed to me that only 10mg was a little amount. I learned later that milligrams mean nothing since every medication has different dosages. This drug can help people who are depressed and/or anxious to live productive happy lives and I take nothing away from it.For me, though, the weight gain actually depressed me more than I was before I ever took the medication. The slight lessening of my anxiety and the "oh well, whatever" attitude I had were kind of cool but not when my jeans refused to button and zipper. You have to weigh the benefits with the side effects and decide for yourself about any medication. I decided to say no to **Lexapro** and any other medication of its kind. But again, I can decide that because I am not in such a way that I NEED to take medication at this point in my life. If you really need it and you find it works for you, you should take it and live your life to the fullest. Work with your doctor if you gain weight or have other side effects and **don't go off any medication cold turkey**. ***I give this medication 3 stars***. For me, it really didn't do much and the weight gain bummed me out. I hope it will work better for you if your doctor suggests that you try it!

**June 2010 Update:** *After I got off the Lexapro completely, it took quite some time for me to lose the weight. I did lose it though and continue to exercise and deal with things as they come my way rather than anticipating what COULD happen. It hasn't been easy to stop worrying and I actually haven't. I just stopped obsessing about worrying. I have had ups and downs and considered going back on just 5mg. of Lexapro (Although my doctor said that amount does nothing, it did for me. I noticed the difference after I got off of it.) but so far, I haven't felt the need to get back on an antidepressant. However, if I did feel I needed something, I would go back on this one. Better the devil I know than one I don't! It did help my anxiety and, knowing that I probably will gain weight if I take this will motivate me to stay active, eat well, and keep an even closer eye on my thyroid. If you are on Lexapro and it has helped you or if you were on and it didn't, let me know. I'm quite interested in seeing if my experience is different from the norm. Here's to happiness! -- Patty*

feelING back to normal

from new york

About Me Medical Professional

Pros

• Promotes Healing
  • Reduces Pain
  • Works Quickly

Cons

• Causes Side Effects

Comments about Lexapro Antidepressant:

Being a medical professional myself, and this being the first time I took medication I was for a long time afraid to try it. My 2nd pregnancy was havoc on my hormone levels, my mood was off the stress was way to much to handle. After the birth. It got worst and worst and worst. I suffered from ppd but I was never ok with social events, crowds, I had constant worry and that's all due to stress and childhood issues. I felt the. Effect the very first day. I noticed what a beautiful day it was and for a whole year in a half I suffered and worried. I felt calm. I can handle all my daily errands, no more arguing with my husband. It improved our marriage. I love it I feel great. I lost weight bc I barley have an appetite. I did have nausea and headache first 2 days but that's it. I recommend this. It will help u too. It's easy.

Excellent - almost zero side effects

from London, UK

About Me Average Health

Pros

• No Side Effects
  • Works Quickly

Comments about Lexapro Antidepressant:

I was switched to Lexapro 10mg (now on 15mg) after nearly 3 months on a generic Citalopram (generic is sadly all you get offered on the NHS) which initially I took for severe anxiety and mild depression after burning out at my job plus other life changes all at once (break-up, changing countries). It was my first time on any antidepressant. Cit helped my anxiety but at same time it caused major suicidal depression symptoms. It was terrifying - never experienced anything like it. I also couldn't eat, had severe night sweats, flu like feelings and a hoarse voice. I tapered off and switched over to Lex on advice of a private GP. A couple of wobbly days in the first week, feeling pangs of anxiety but nothing uncontrollable and only (oddly) after drinking coffee too soon after taking the tablet, otherwise no side effects and smooth sailing. The benefits snuck up on me within a fortnight. I'm eating again, feel less like drinking alcohol, have far fewer suicidal thoughts / plans (I expect these will taper off, it's only been a month) and generally a "brightness" behind my eyes and thoughts that I haven't experienced for a very long time. I don't know much about mental illness or medication and was almost completely scared off of it after the experience on Cit. I can't recommend this medicine enough. It feels smooth and "clean". The only warning I would like to share with other readers is that it seems to mix badly with alcohol - any more than one or two drinks and I feel ill and much more tipsy than I would in the past. I've gained a tiny bit of weight but I was basically anorexic (as in, nil by mouth) for three months on the Cit so am pleased to have gained it. I'm very impressed at how fast and cleanly these worked. I know everyone is different but the Cit feels like poison by comparison. I've paid for Lex privately and it's well worth the extra money. Hope this review helps someone.

Works great for me!

from Austin, Texas

About Me Average Health

Pros

• Easy To Use
    • No Side Effects
    • Promotes Healing
    • Works Quickly

Comments about Lexapro Antidepressant:

I started taking Lexapro 2 years ago & it has helped tremendously!

Changed my life

Comments about Lexapro Antidepressant:

I started out on Lexapro--I take Citalopram now because it's an earlier version of Lexapro but much less expensive. I suffered from depression all through middle and high school and finally sought help soon after starting college. I had a terrible time trying to function day to day. I was always sad, lethargic, and depressed. Everything bothered me. My dr. prescribed this to me and within a few days I saw amazing results. It woke me up from my despair. I found joy again in life and no longer felt helpless and locked in a world of sadness and hopelessness! I did not notice any side-effects either.

Lexapro

Comments about Lexapro Antidepressant:

This has really given my life back! I struggled for months with anxiety and depression. I was so afraid to take any thing because of the stigma behind taking medication. I am so glad that I did this, it has been a year now and although I still have my days, I am so much better off than I was a year ago.

Helpful but there are sacrifices.

Comments about Lexapro Antidepressant:

I have been on Lexapro for almost a year now and it does do what it is supposed to do. I was first placed on another SSRI for post-partum depression and in just about a year I gained 30lbs. I asked my doctor if we could try something else that would help but not effect my weight so we tried Wellbutrin (which is not an SRI). While the wellbutrin did help, there were side effects I just could not deal with so my doctor decided to try Lexapro. I like that if I happen to forget a day I don't get any unwanted withdrawal effects and that they really do "even me out" so to speak but I cannot lose weight while on this medication. It seems that I can diet and exercise regularly or sit around and eat whatever I want (which I don't do often but was dealing with some other health issues and was out of commission for a while) and my weight just stays the same. I am stuck at 30lbs over my normal weight. My doctor says I really only need to try and lose 10 pounds since I'm still in the healthy range but I don't like how I feel in my clothes and how I look in pictures and it is really taking a toll on me.
      The catch here is that I am a stay at home Mom of two wonderful little boys. And since I know that I am better Mom when I'm on this medication I'm kind of, sacrificing my self esteem for the greater good. I hope to get this figured out some day!

Did not help me!

from Corsicana, TX

Comments about Lexapro Antidepressant:

My doctor gave me a trial of Lexapro. I have never taken an antidepressant before and Lexapro was horrible. The side effects hit me hard. I was tired all the time, no sex drive at all and the medication didn't work. I started to have very low self esteem and I was crying more every day. It came to the point where I wanted to kill myself and I called a family member not knowing what to do. I am going to the doctor tomorrow morning hoping to get on something else that will actual help my depression and not make it worse.

Update* I have now learned that most doctors suggest Lexapro first because there is no generic product on the market. Doctors get incentives for prescribing certain medication and Lexapro is an expensive one.

scary

Comments about Lexapro Antidepressant:

Two days ago I was prescribed lexapro for generalized anxiety(10mg)..I asked my doctor what the side effects were & she had mentioned that I may feel a little dizzy and sleepy & that was it! After feeling higher than a kite minor chest pains feeling like a ZOMBIE & tingling in my crotch I decided to do some research on the drug..& let me tell you I am APALLED at my findings! I know this drug worked well for others but I would not recommend this drug to anyone! I NEVER write reviews but felt obligated to write one. Anxiety truly sucks but I would rather deal with it then be on this medication! Sooo now I am on my way to try and find an alternative to treat anxiety without medication! (& im not anti meds if anything im for them) God bless& good luck everyone!

We shouldn't have to choose between a fit body and a fit mind.

from The heart of , NY

Comments about Lexapro Antidepressant:

Being on Lexapro is allowing me to live my life

from Indianapolis, IN

Comments about Lexapro Antidepressant:

I have been on an antidepressant of some sort since I was 14.  After awhile of being on one, sometimes I felt it lost its potency.

Then I would try others, and have had many side effects over those trials depending on which we are discussing.

I had many misgivings about Lexapro based on bad experiences my friends and boyfriends had reported.  (Lack of male orgasm?  And you want a woman to try this medication?!?)

But after going through a round of 4 other medications that weren't working for me, and talking to my sister about how much it helped her, I conceded I might as well try it at that point.  I am glad I did.

I have not experienced a dip in libido.  Whether it has affected my ability to orgasm is hard to tell; since I've been on antidepressants my whole adolescent/adult life, and having had about the same degree of difficulty in that area throughout.

Whether or not I can attribute it to having gained around 12 pounds around my middle is also difficult to say, though after reading a few other reviews I'm beginning to wonder.  I really can't blame the medication alone though, I haven't been good about exercising in the same time frame I've been taking the medication and recently finished college so I no longer have cross campus walks on a daily basis.

Aside from being a more functional human being and having to make trips to the psychiatrist and pharmacy, I really don't notice side effects.

Considering my symptoms included crying for no reason, inability to get out of bed except to use the bathroom (and then sometimes only when it became and emergency), total worthlessness, panic attacks, constantly sleeping and not eating/or overeating, general lethargy and feeling awful...I'll take 12 pounds and what not.

I still occassionally struggle with inability to get out of bed, panic attacks and lethargy, but more in line with what is reasonable and normal for a person.  So I don't feel like a total zombie, just not totally miserable.

I am also looking at books about Cognitive Behavior Therapy lifestyle changes, and I'm seeking a new counselor (I moved in the last year).  Some day I hope to wean off the meds, but with my history and being a new severely underemployed college grad, and some undealt with family grief I am still confronting, I'm not going to push myself to that any time soon.

I do worry that if I choose to have children, I'll be unable to ween off, and Lexapro is indicated in third trimester birth defects.  I will cross that bridge when I come to it, but it is worth pondering.

I would also recommend looking into Omega-3 Fatty Acid supplements, but the kind at the grocery store are not potent enough, you have to go to health food stores and do your research on dosage and proper absorption for it to make a real difference; and that evidence is still in trial/research stage.  But, as far as I know, much less likely to cause birth defects.  Certainly consult your doctor though.