3.8
Celexa (Citalopram)

Celexa (Citalopram)

3.8

Amazing

I tried many different medicines before I found Celexa (or generically called Citalopram).  I was amazed by what a difference it made in my life.  Seriously.  Medicine though, especially for mental health issues, is a person by person thing.  Side effects and dosage can vary based on several things.  I took the 40 mg dosage and it has made all the difference, even compared to the 20 mg dosage.  Side effects for me personally included decrease of libido and a happier, healthier me!  While the first one of these may sound horrible it wasn't as bad as it sounds.  I'd much rather have a little bit less of a sex drive than be sad and anxious all the time.  Depression and anxiety are becoming more frequently diagnosed in people, whether due to just more awareness or the actuality that more people are having these feelings.  Either way it's serious and there's no shame in talking to someone about it or going on medicine.  Friends have come to me and asked me questions about being on medicine.  It doesn't make you not feel anymore or take away your emotions.  I just feel like it helps level your playing field.  You're now back on the same level as everyone else.

Works well enough for me

I suffer from a lot of anxiety problems, so naturally I went to my doctor a year or so ago. He didn't want to put me on anything too strong, for which I was thankful, and so he suggested Celexa. Celexa is technically an anti-depressant; however, if you have a mild anxiety disorder, it seems to work quite well.

I first started taking a small amount of Celexa for about six months. At first, it was working great. I felt happy - almost euphoric - and I was so much more relaxed. As a college student, I need all the help I can get keeping my stress levels down, and I noticed an improvement in my mood and in my attention span.

However, things started getting a little worse. My mood was a bit darker and I started having trouble sleeping again. I went to see my doctor, and he simply gave me a higher dose. Things started going well again, and I'm pleased to report that I am now back on my lower dosage with no problems.

The cool thing is that my doctor is certain that in a year or so he can start easing me off of Celexa. I don't like the idea of feeling too "attached" to medications, so it is extremely important to me that I can live without Celexa eventually.

So Relieved!

Comments about Celexa (Citalopram):

I have suffered from treatment resistant depression for 30 years and tried many things. I don't know how I missed Celexa. I was suicidal before I started taking it. I have been taking it for 6 weeks, and I feel wonderful.

The first 3 weeks were MISERABLE. I was so exhausted and sedated that I might as well have been stoned. I could not drive. I couldn't do anything. I had almost given up hope that it could improve and then - BAM! - it did.

I am on 20 mg now. I took 10 mg the first week, and then tried taking 10 mg twice a day until I could handle a full dose without crawling into bed and passing out.

Now I take my 20 mg at 5 pm, and I am clear-headed during the day.

It's worth hanging on and giving it a chance to work out! I pray it keeps working as well as it has.

Makes me happy

Comments about Celexa (Citalopram):

I suffer from anxiety and insomnia. Being the age I am my doctor did not want to prescribe me anything that was just for sleep that could cause a dependence. She started me on this at bedtime for the anxiety and due to the side effect drowsiness, that way I was able to get to sleep. I am know on the max dose and have been so happy, able to sleep and not feel so anxious. This pill has very minimal side effects and works wonders in a persons life.

Miracle drug!

Comments about Celexa (Citalopram):

I was diagnosed with clinical depression when I was a Junior in college. It was something that wasn't really talked about at the time and I was very hesitant to take anything. Throughout the years I was on Zoloft, Prozac, St. John's Wart, just to name a few. None of them worked well enough. I either felt numb and nothing at all or I had to keep increasing the dosage after awhile which I did not feel comfortable with at all. My late 20's I was given Celexa to try. It was wonderful. I had absolutely no side effects. I felt so much better. I have been on it ever since, going on 10 years now. I have never had to increase the dosage either. Every now and then I take a break to see if I still need it and within 2-3 days I start to feel the symptoms and return to taking it. My mother is on it as well. She has the same results. Perhaps because we are related and have similar body chemistry's, it works the same for her as it does for me. However, my father-in-law also uses it and is happy with the results. He takes it for anxiety reasons. I would high recommend Celexa if you are diagnosed with depression. It really has changed my life.

Great anti-depressant with little side-effects

Comments about Celexa (Citalopram):

I have been taking Celexa for years. I have had depression since my teen years and finally went to the doctor when I was 19 and in college. My depression had finally become totally unbearable. I felt like a shell of myself. I broke down several times a day and had difficulty functioning and doing simple things. Sometimes I would be overwhelmed by the simplest task. Sad thoughts overwhelmed me. Within a few days of taking this medicine, I felt like a new person. It was as if I woke up from a nightmare. I felt happy again and not overwhelmed by sadness and anxiety. I still experienced some bouts of depression but now they only lasted a day or two and not weeks! I did not notice any side-effects at all. My mother also suffered from depression her whole life and I was able to convince her to see the doctor too. She was prescribed this medication as well. She did have a few side-effects-mostly drowsiness, but it subsided within a month or so. She is a different person now. If she forgets to take a dose, you can tell! I can't believe how well this medication works. I take 40 mg-the highest dose. I really like that I don't have bad side-effects from this medication. It is also very affordable. I highly recommend it. I know several other people who take it and they love it.

I love celexa it works great

Comments about Celexa (Citalopram):

I have taken many antidepressants over many years and nothing has ever worked as well as celexa. It keeps me leavel headed and I can function in everyday life. I take it at the same time everyday and if I miss a dose I as well as my family can tell. It also keeps me calm and I don't shake like I use too. Other medication never have worked this good. I would not be able to live a normal life without it.

Works great.

Comments about Celexa (Citalopram):

I've been on celexa for 10 months. I totally got off the Xanax for my anxiety by downsizing. After that I noticed I had different feelings. Felt like it didn't matter attitude or what goes goes. I had no energy and I also felt like I could just close my eyes all day. Well that isn't me. So I called my dr. And he says the med shouldn't do that if it didn't do it before. He said I could try down sizing from the 20 to 10. This is the 3rd day and I can tell a difference already. Feeling much better. Hopefully it continues and I get off it totally. My depression was the total shut down of your body. Still have to take the doxipin for a good night sleep

bupropion was not for me

from New York, NY

Comments about Celexa (Citalopram):

I started taking Celexa, which made me feel great, except for the sexual side effects it was having on me. I felt completely numb during sex, so my doc lowered my dose and said if it didnt get any better to try bupropion, as bupropion was known to have no sexual side effects.

I was only on 10mg of Celexa, and when I switched to bupropion, I was taking 2x 100mg tablets daily. I dont know if the dose was too high or it just didnt agree with me, but it made me feel very anxious, dizzy, and made my arms and hands shake vigorously. I also had really bad short term memory loss that lasted for 5 minutes at a time, I found it hard to remember things and words. My mind was just blank. I couldnt remember what people had said to me or what I done. I stopped taking it after 3 days, and on the 4th day I was crying uncontrollably for no reason and felt horrible and anxious. On the 5th day I felt the same way and had a little attack. I didnt know where I was, felt confused, dizzy, faint, chills, tremors and my pupils dilated. It was so scary, we were getting ready to go to the hospital. My boyfriend did some research and found that someone else had experienced the same effects.and taking a valium or xanax had helped them.

I started to feel a little better and had a xanax and it calmed me down. However for the next 2 days I still felt dizzy, faint and anxious. It was a horrible experience and I hope no one else experiences it.

I should have seen the red flag when I read that this medication can cause seizures

It does stabilize my mood, but at the risk of extreme fatigue!

Comments about Celexa (Citalopram):

I was first prescribed this medication (the generic, citalopram) for 20mg. Pretty good, I liked this a lot better than Zoloft. For some reason I can't really remember I stopped taking it cold turkey, horrible, horrible withdrawal symptoms. Started it again last month, this time at 40mg, works wonders for my mood BUT it does make me EXTREMELY tired and fatigued. If I let myself sleep, I could sleep for hours and hours on end. I usually try to take this medicine at lunch time because if I take it at night I have a hard time waking up early on time for work. There are probably better medications than this, but for now I'm quite satisfied with citalopram/Celexa.

Lower dose was better for me!

Comments about Celexa (Citalopram):

I started taking Celexa about 8 months ago due to anxiety and severe PSD. My anxiety caused a lot of issues, but the biggest problem was developing a fear of driving on the highway.It started with not being able to drive on the highway at night, and spun out to not being able to drive it at all. This made me very, very depressed. My doctor suggested I start taking Celexa 40mg's. I was a little scared to start taking medication, but I knew I had to do something to "help" me get my life back in order. The first month or so, I felt like a complete zombie - but within 2 months of taking the medication, I was back on the highway (after practicing several times). I was so happy, but the medication started making me VERY tired at work. To the point that no matter how much sleep I got, I could NOT stop yawning. I decided to cut down on my medication to 10mg's. (which, i'm told you need at least 40mg's to treat anxiety) I feel less tired now, and a little back to my old self. I feel that I need this medication to balance myself, but it's not worth it to me to have a high dose. You just don't feel like yourself... it makes you feel like your on the outside looking in. If you can get by on a lower dose, I would suggest just that.

deadens you and severe anger when stop

Comments about Celexa (Citalopram):

Took for few years. On it i never showed emotions about anything. Everyone noticed i just didn't care about anything. My doctor wanted me to stay on so i cut down dosing and am off now for 3 weeks. Now have very hard to control anger. Wish never took it