Other Home Gyms:
Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar

Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar

Pros

Cons

Works great for women...not so great for men

When my husband and I decided to give the P90X workout program a try, we purchased the Total Gym pull up bar for our living room. What we found was a really great piece of equipment for me but not so great for him. The bar is well designed and is excellent for someone of less than 180 pounds and isn't able to do repetition after repetition of chin ups. I weigh 129 pounds and can do several pull up both wide and reverse but I have to keep my head back from the door top because the actual bar is under the door frame. My husband feels that it gives too much for his 215 pound, 6'2" frame and he cannot do a complete pull up because of the bar postion under the frame. For me, it is fine but for him, it is less than desirable. We went out and purchased a free standing pull up bar for his needs.

Overall, a great product for the less than serious workout individual but for someone of a larger frame with greater intentions, a free standing bar is better.

Sandy

iron gym

Iron gym total upper body workout is not a bad ideal if you want to pullups at home and sit-ups. It is a very simple design and very over priced because the way it is constructed. I wished that the bar that rests across the door frame is a solid 1 piece instead two pieces that lock together because when you do a pull up the bar will have a flex in it. The bad thing about using this system is that if you have a standard height door you would have to bend your knees other wise they will touch the floor. The bad thing about this system is that they state they would give you a free set of ab straps as an option but you would have to pay the service charge which would be the cost to buy the straps at a regular price.

This product is Excellent

from Egypt

About Me Gym Rat

Pros

• Comfortable
  • Easy Storage
  • Easy To Use
  • Quiet

Cons

• General Fitness
    • Strength Training

Comments about Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar:

i got this product as a gift from my friend and i said that is the best product for the fast exercise

• Was this a gift?:

Good idea but I wish it was a bit more sturdy

Comments about Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar:

I have the Iron Gym upper body total workout bar, and while I was able to do pull-ups on it, I always thought in the back of my mind it was not going to be sturdy enough. It did slip one day on me while I was struggling to get two extra reps in my set. Luckily I landed on my feet, but I have stopped using it since.

It was effective in giving you a good pull-up workout.

It was easy to use since I was already familiar with pull-ups.

It seems like it can handle a lot of workouts for the price that it costs.

The design itself is a good concept. However, it is not compatible with a lot of doorways. You can and may fall since the bar will fall off.

Workout "machine" for your home.

Comments about Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar:

I would highly recommend this product to anyone looking to workout their upper body strength, but don't have enough time to go to the gym. I will warn that this workout bar is only meant for upper body workouts; leaving the buyer with no means of working out their lower body's strength.

This product performs extremely well. With a metal pull-up bar, there is a bit of shakiness when performing a pull-up. If in the correct-sized door frame, you will not experience any insecure shakiness when performing a correct pull-up.

Anyone will easily be able to pick this workout bar up, and install it correctly on the door frame. The only negative aspect is that the person has to be tall enough to reach the top of the door frame.

I have had my workout bar for almost three years and it is still functioning at its full capacity. Not only can you put at the top of your door frame; you can also put it face-down, and perform push-ups. If you correctly place the workout bar at the bottom of your door frame, you will be able to do sit-ups and crunches.

A great product for any athlete

Comments about Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar:

This product is great for athletes of all types. There are a ton of different workouts you can do with this bar. It's great for your arms, chest, and back. Whether you do pull ups or chin ups you will get a great workout. The worst part of this piece of equipment is that it can leave marks on your door frame. Also if your door frame is not sturdy enough this tool will not work well.

This piece of equipment is great for a good workout. Even though it is just a bar there are many different workouts you can do with it. This tool will perform well, but the door frame will affect how it works. If it is not secured properly than it can cause injuries.

This is a very easy piece of equipment to use. All you need is a door frame to use it.

This bar is very durable and will last for a long time. It may however leave marks on your door frame.

This is a very simple design. It is easy to disassemble and store it somewhere out of sight.

One of the cheapest and best home gym equipment out there.

Comments about Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar:

Probably one of the cheapest and best home gym equipment out there. Great for a quick chest and back workout before going to work. The foam grips ripped within the 3 months of usage. Put two cloths on each backside of the bar so the door lintel doesn't get marks. Besides that, it's pretty good. Definite buy for anybody looking for a good upper body workout.

Iron Gym is convenient, easy to install, and works great

from Clifton, VA

Comments about Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar:

I love my iron gym. It makes doing pull-ups, push-ups, and situps really easy. You don't have to have a pullup bar connected to the wall with screws or anything that is always in the way because with this you can just put it over the door frame and take it down when you are done and put it in a closet or wherever. it is really convenient and easy to use and store. It works great for pullups and it gives you different grips so you can work different muscles when you do it. It also has different grips for pushups so you can do wide pushups, or military pushups. And what I also love is that you can even do situps and dips with it. So you can work your entire upper body with these great little machine and it will definitely make you noticeably stronger if you use it and stick with it.

Perfect low cost workout equipment

Comments about Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar:

This really is a genius piece of equipment.  I have only had it for three weeks, and I've already tripled the number of pull-ups I can do.  I put it in a doorway near my bathroom and made it a policy that I would do a set of pull-ups after I used the bathroom.  This way, I do 50-60 pull-ups a day, and it doesn't take hardly any time at all.  It does seem a little too low for effective tricep dips, but it works great for push-ups.  The unit came with ab straps, which I haven't used too much because they are a little too big.  You're supposed to still have a grip on the handles when using the straps, but if my arms are resting in the straps, I can't reach the handles.  Otherwise, this may have gotten five stars.  The other complaint is how it is connected in the middle.  I don't think it is going anywhere, but it does bow more than I'd like in the middle.  A great, cheap bar that is very easy to assemble.

Iron Gym Pull Up Bar is Simple and Effective

from Pasadena, CA

Comments about Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar:

I bought the Iron Gym Pull Up Bar as a way to strengthen my core and in an attempt to master pull ups and chin ups. Honestly, I have not mastered a full pull up yet as my upper body is a lot weaker than I thought, but I have progressed nicely.

I love that the Iron Gym Pull Up Bar is easy to install. I opted not to use the permanent installation bracket with mine, as the best doorway for me to use it on opens into my dining room. Still, the construction of the Iron Gym makes it easy to secure over any doorway, literally in seconds, and it can be taken down and put away easily as well.

I also purchased the ab straps (optional) from the manufacturer, and find that they have helped me when doing what I would call a suspended crunch, where you are hanging from the bar and curling your legs up to your chest. This has been an incredible exercise for me to build core strength. Now if I can just master a full pull up, that'd be great!

great way to work out in a small space!

from Molalla, OR

Comments about Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar:

My husband got this Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar because we live in an apartment with really limited space. He doesn't have the option to have the traditional workout equipment, so we thought this would be a great alternative.

It only took him about 10 minutes to set it up, so that was a plus that it was so easy to put together. It's also very easy to figure out how to attatch it to the door frame.

We were a bit skeptical as to whether the door frame could truly support his body weight and the workout bar....but it does! It is a solid design, and it really is worth the price for the fact that it replaces larger workout equipment.

The only negative we can see is that the black pads that rest on the door frame leave black marks, but they seem to be fairly easy to clean off. It is a good idea to put rags/paper towels/etc in between the door frame and the black pads to prevent the black marks. Overall though, a great workout piece!

Great for the health and space conscious

from Brockton, MA

Comments about Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar:

As advertised, the product is used for chin-ups in a doorway with no installation needed (uses gravity/leverage).  It also can be used for tricep dips, push-ups, and sit-ups as well as ab work with the add-on arm straps.

For pullups/chinups, users have 3 grip options so you can select which ever works for you or choose which is most comfortable.  The wide grip, however, is probably best suited for men since it is very wide (even for my broad shouldered self) and tougher than the other grips.

The product can also be used for tricep dips or push-ups (by placing the contraption on the floor) and sit ups (but using it at the bottom of the door instead of the top).  I haven't used the item for sit ups - honestly, I forget it is even an option but I also don't normally use an anchor for situps or crunches (unless on a slant board).

I've only tried the product for push-ups and tricep dips for which it does the job.  For triceps, I personally prefer using the edge of the bench or a couch or something sturdy rather than the iron gym just because it is more comfortable, for me, being higher of the ground.  I, again, forget about the push up option but I have used it and it is fine if holding the bars is comfortable for the users hands.

I do use this for chin-ups/pull-ups on an every other day (or so at times ;-) basis.  I can use the two inner grips without issue but find the widest grip too tough for me (both comfort and skill plus I have a bad shoulder and it stresses it too much in that position).

I also use it with the optional (via mail-order) arm straps to do ab exercises.  I have mixed feelings on the arm straps.  First, it was a big draw for me in getting this product versus similar chin up bars only to find out that I had to pay extra for the bands anyway.  Second, I don't find the bands all that comfortable to use and, even with using the grips for extra support, I end up with bruise like marks under my arms from them.  Also, I don't know how well the arm bands hold up to use. . .One of mine is already open at the seams which will only get worse with time.

Overall, I think this is a great product!  It uses little space and does what it advertises.  I would have liked to see the arm bands and foam peices made more durable, however, since one of my arm bands is already falling apart and some of the foam supports are coming unglued.  But, the product does what it promises for little money and space. . .The rest is up to the user!