Other Joint & Muscle Pain Medicines:
Icy Hot
Icy Hot Extra Strength Pain Relieving Balm

Icy Hot Extra Strength Pain Relieving Balm

This was perfect for my sprained ankle.

Last summer I was out rollerblading with my boyfriend and we were just playing around having fun. I wasn't quite paying enough attention to my feet and I caught the wheels of my skates...Read complete review

Last summer I was out rollerblading with my boyfriend and we were just playing around having fun. I wasn't quite paying enough attention to my feet and I caught the wheels of my skates on a gravel.

My leg went sideways and my ankle twisted around and before I knew it, it was too swollen to be able to pull my foot out of my skate. I asked my boyfriend to go grab the Icy Hot but we didn't have any at the house so he had to make a special trip to the store for me.

When he got back he had this particular variety of Icy Hot. I had never used the balm. I had always used the cream or the roll on. The balm is nice. It's a huge amount in the container and it's very similar to the gel but it's in a convenient tub. The balm is similar to Vaseline. It goes on smooth and rubs in completely. It goes on feeling cold to the touch and then it begins to tingle. The tingling eventually turns into a warming sensation. The Icy Hot makes all my sprains and muscle aches feel so much better. It's soothing and reliving.

I rely on this for it's soothing abilities on my sprains. This helps get me through my days when I need to be able to get up and walk around after a sprained ankle.

What a mess!

I really like the strength of this balm, and that is why I can not give it a super low score. However, I had a terrible experience with it the first time I used it. Perhaps others have figured out an easier way to use this balm, but the fact that it is a balm and not a cream or gel makes it very thick and greasy. The first time I ever used it, I had to rub it forever to get it to even half way sink into my skin. I rubbed it in the best I could and then put my shirt on. The greasiness of the balm made its way through my shirt and made a little grease spot on my shirt. Strike one. The second thing I really hate about this balm is that you have to use a lot of soap and really scrub your hands to get it off. Even after washing my hands forever, I could still feel it on them and was afraid to touch my face for hours because I did not want to get it into my eyes (anyone who has ever gotten IcyHot in their eyes knows what I'm talking about). It does work well, but just isn't worth the hassle for me. I ended up putting it in our first aid kit and only using it before wrapping an ace bandage around it to keep it covered.

Helps a lot

from Utah

Comments about Icy Hot Extra Strength Pain Relieving Balm:

During a recent softball game, I pulled a hamstring running from second to third. It wasn't a terrible pull (didn't feel a pop when it happened), but it hurt pretty badly. A teammate gave me some of this Icy Hot, and I applied it a few minutes after the injury happened. I immediately felt the burning sensation as I rubbed it in, but it didn't hurt very badly. It felt more like a burning that was relaxing the muscle a little bit. I was able to finish the game (a few more innings)'without further complications, although I did take it easier running. Through the evening and the night, the muscle still tightened up some more and was pretty sore, but it didn't hurt as badly as other times I've done it and did not treat it with this Icy Hot. Even with playing through pain for the next week or two, the injury cleared up faster than other muscle strains that I've had. During another game, I also applied some to my lower bicep, which was getting pretty sore from throwing. It helped cover the pain well through the end of that game.

Great Product

Comments about Icy Hot Extra Strength Pain Relieving Balm:

I have been using Icy Hot for years to relieve muscle tightness, and joint paint. I'm a fairly active guy, and I will sometimes get muscle spasms that can be painful at times. I have found Icy Hot to be one of the most effective ways to reduce (and sometimes eliminate) these spasms.
Icy Hot is a mentholated medicine that activates when it gets wet. I usually use it prior to my work outs, or right after my shower. It's very long lasting, and will stay active for the majority of the day. The only real drawback to the product, is that it can be greasy, and will stay greasy on the skin. This also makes it very hard to wash off your hands. Keep that in mind before you go anywhere near your eyes. I learned that the hard way after applying this product, and then putting my contacts in shortly after.
Overall great product, that lasts long, and is very effective. Also it is priced very reasonably.

A great product.

Comments about Icy Hot Extra Strength Pain Relieving Balm:

Icy hot extra strength pain relieving balm really works extremely well. I am a fitness enthusiast, I work out at least five times a week leaving my body often times sore. When I get to the gym I always make sure that this particular product is in my gym bag with me at all times. As soon as I am done getting through a grueling workout I rub icy hot on my body and I can start to feel relief immediately. That really is a wonderful thing about this product, I love how fast you can feel the product going to work. Also I love that this product is extremely affordable and you can purchase it at almost any grocery store or drugstore. The extra strength really helps me when I have a sore muscle for more than three days. I love the immediate relief it gives me and that it works every single time. One thing I don't like about this particular product is the fact that it only works for about 30 minutes before the pain persists. I would recommend this product to anyone suffering from muscle or joint pain.

great for minor aches and pains

from Golden, CO

Comments about Icy Hot Extra Strength Pain Relieving Balm:

I really like this product for use to relieve minor aches and pains. I consider myself to be moderately active and as a result seem to get a lot of pulled or sore muscles.( It seems even more so since I turned forty.) I try to use over the counter medication whenever possible rather that resorting to going to doctor and getting a prescription. I really like the icy hot balm that comes on this tub best. It seems that I can get all of the product out, rather than in the tube where I always feel like I am wasting so much. I can never seem to get the product out of the bottom of tube. I tried other over the counter methods of pain relief for my sore muscles over the years and haven't been able to find anything that works better than this one. I keep an extra supply of icy hot balm on hand at all times, you never know when you will need it and this is not something you want to have to go to the supermarket for when you are in pain.

Works decent

Comments about Icy Hot Extra Strength Pain Relieving Balm:

I used to use Icy Hot extra strength when I first started having muscle pains in my back. I was desperate to try anything. I was familiar with the name and it was a decent price so I bought this to try it out. What I liked about the balm was the extra thick consistency. It was a really thick and nice to put on and I felt like it penetrated well. It has a very strong mint smell, that took a long time to wear off. It didn't bother me, but if you are sensitive to smells that could be an issue. It warms up fairly quick and then provides the cooling sensation right after. To be honest I don't like the heat, but Icy Hot did provide a little relief to my sore back muscles and it provided a little improvement. I just didn't feel like I did as well as the Biofreeze gel I was later introduced to by my massage therapist. Overall it did okay for what it claims, but is think there are better products on the market that provide better relief.

Balm is way better than the creme!!

Comments about Icy Hot Extra Strength Pain Relieving Balm:

Icy Hot is not my personal preferred pain relieving creme/balm/gel, but it is my husband's go to pick. He loves how cold then hot it gets. And the warming sensation will last a really long time! I used to rub the Icy Hot creme on his muscles, but I really couldn't stand it! It was goopy, a bit runny, and worst of all super sticky! It also always left a sticky residue behind that I could not stand! He has since switched over to using the Icy Hot balm instead of the creme, and I much prefer it! It goes on smoothly, and rubs into the skin and muscles nicely. There is still a bit of a residue, but it's not nearly as bad. The smell is also not quite as strong as with the creme (I'm not a big fan of the smell, so that's a plus to me). The other great thing is that the balm has really lasted us a long time! It really doesn't take much, mostly because it spreads so easily, and just the little bit is still strong and works great.

It Really Works!

Comments about Icy Hot Extra Strength Pain Relieving Balm:

I consider myself very athletic. People like me often suffer from aches and pains from just about every spot on their body. This is a product that I've been using for years. It's not creamy more like a gel. I love the way it sort of dissolves into your skin not to mention the strong smell that resembles menthol. From the time I rub it on my skin I notice that my joints start to loosen up and my aches feel much better. I usually purchase this at my local pharmacist. It's not too expensive and my husband has even started using it. It doesn't take long for it to start working and can be used on most areas of the body.

I have sensitive skin but have not noticed that I have any allergic reactions to Icy Hot. It goes on cold but gives a warm soothing sensation that makes my body feel instant relief. I love the jar that it comes in and the colorful packaging. It's a cost effective way to get fast safe relief.

Great muscle pain releiever

from Slidell, LA

Comments about Icy Hot Extra Strength Pain Relieving Balm:

I love Icy. Hot pain reliever cream. I have been using Icy Hot for many years now and it works great. I am an older person and like to work outside in my garden a lot. So when I am finished, my muscles in my shoulders are usually hurting me quite a bit. I get my Icy Hot and rub it on my sore muscles that hurt and the. I apply a heating pad on top of it. Within several hours, my muscles are feeling much better. This is a great product and works very quickly. I love the menthol smell of it, too, it smells great. The only draw back that I find with it is when I rub it on my muscles with my hands, I can wash my hands afterwards with soap and it doesn't seem to come completely off my hands. My hands still have the menthol on them. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone that has sore muscles and don't want to take pain reliever pills or medication. Icy Hot works really great and I highly recommend it to everyone. Awesome product.

Too Messy!

Comments about Icy Hot Extra Strength Pain Relieving Balm:

I have always been a huge fan of Icy Hot’s pain relieving products. I prefer topical over the counter products rather than the use of prescription medications. The balm is advertised to be non-greasy and great for a mess free application. I soon found this to be false. I felt that the balm is much more greasy as opposed to the cream or the gel. The balm is hard to massage in and spread around. It is even messy to get out of the deep tub. It makes a huge mess all over your hands. As a runner, I use Icy Hot frequently for muscle strains and sprains. It also helps me with me foot cramps. I have never had any adverse effects from the pain relieving balm. Sometimes the scent can be a bit overwhelming, so I try to use it and let the exposed area air out as much as possible. As much as I am a big supporter and user of Icy Hot, I will not be purchasing the balm ever again due it being so overwhelmingly messy.

This was perfect for my sprained ankle.

Profile Image