Other Joint & Muscle Pain Medicines:
Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel

Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel

Pros

Cons

You run hot and cold but I love both sides of you.

***Quick View:*** This is heaven in a pump bottle for people with pain and aches. This gel is used in physical therapy offices and many doctor's offices. I bought a small bottle and loved it so I bought a big ole 16 ounce pump bottle and use it all the time. It's awesome.

***About Bio Freeze 16oz***

This is a non-greasy gel that slides onto the skin, making the area cold. It starts out icy cold then settles into a deep, penetrating warmth that feels oh so good. The scent is not bad at all - although people will definitely know you have some sort of ointment on if you wear this and go out right after. The pump top makes this less messy than other methods and delivers just enough of the gel to tackle aches and pains. I mentioned in my Tiger Balm review that it couldn't tackle my very tough neck pain. **Bio Freeze** can't do it all alone but it does an admirable job trying and I get much long lasting relief from it. I can avoid taking pain meds if I use this gel often enough and also use a heating pad in between. It's great for any kind of muscular ache or strain as well as for arthritis and a host of joint and muscular conditions. It's the choice of physical therapists and pain management specialists for a reason!

***My Viewpoint***

**Bio Freeze **comes in many sizes but I find the large pump size is more cost efficient and easier to use than the smaller tubes and bottles. The smell is actually quite nice and the effectiveness blows other topical ointments, balms, and creams away. It penetrates deeply and gives me a whooosh of a cold and then a deep warming sensation that eases pain and relaxes me. I love it and am never without it. It has saved me from taking pain medication hundreds of times. ***It's 5 stars worth of good*** and I recommend it in any size for your pain.

Biofreeze works okay, but I prefer Elgin Pain Relief Gel

I have chronic pain in my lower back.  I have been to a physical therapist and I am now seeing a chiropractor.  I previously used Biofreeze, however, recently my chiropractor introduced me to this new product which is even more effective than Biofreeze and half the cost!  Elgin Pain Relief Gel is a lot smoother than Biofreeze, so it penetrates my skin faster.  Another thing I love about Elgin Pain Relief Gel is that it is organic and doesn't have propylene glycol like Biofreeze.  I consider myself a pretty health conscience person and I don't want to be slathering myself in something that contains an additive found in antifreeze.  I definitely will not be using or recommending any other pain product than Elgin.

Biofreeze-The Best

from Denham Springs, LA

Comments about Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel:

The first time I ever had Biofreeze gel applied to my back I was shocked by the sensation. Biofreeze gel was both cooling and warming at the same time. It felt wonderful. Made my discomfort go down significantly. My physical therapist put Biofreeze gel on my lower back while she was working on the pinched nerve between my L5 and S1 vertebrae. There was barely a smell and no skin irritation. That day I went home feeling great. The tension in my lower back was gone. My pain was lessened and my skin was not burning. Biofreeze works great on my arthritis and deep sore muscles. It is sold in most physical therapy offices, health clubs, and drug stores and comes in a nice size tube for the product quality. The down side to Biofreeze gel is the price. The gel can be too expensive for most to maintain a supply of Biofreeze on hand. I would recommend Biofreeze gel from anyone needing relief from arthritis, sore muscles, and fatigued muscles.

Perfect for bed time

Comments about Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel:

With four active people in the house, Biofreeze is a must have. I always have a tube around for those especially sore days. Biofreeze works great for penetrating muscle tissues and helping to relieve stiff muscles and soreness. Generally, we use some heat to relax the muscle (either heating pad or warm soak), then some foam rolling or massage to loosen it up a bit, and then we rub on the biofreeze and get ready for bed. The initial feeling can be kind of jarring. It creates quite a cold sensation - so much so that I often end up using an extra blanket if I have it on. However, by morning, I am always glad that I stuck it out.

The only down side is that you need to wash your hands very thoroughly when you are done - and, even then, avoid eye contact for quite some time. Because biofreeze is made to penetrate the skin, you usually have some serious menthol on your hands when you are done with application.

Good at eliminating minor pain

Comments about Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel:

I purchased this product to try and help eliminate some pain in my knees and hips. As I have gotten older, my joints have really started to ache. I am a runner and it can be really hard on my body. My knees and hips have definitely taken a beating from running and ache most of the time. I do not like to take medicine so I decided to try out this gel. Based on the ingredients, it seems to be pretty natural. It has worked pretty well for me. It definitely has helped relieve some of the minor pain in my knee. It has not been as effective on my hips, which tend to have more pain than my knees. I can tell that it takes away some of the pain in my hips. However, it does not seem to be powerful enough to completely remove major pain. I do think it has been effective for my knees and I would definitely continue to use it. It is not too expensive and is definitely worth the money you spend on it.

Effective topical pain reliever that doesn't stain

from Pittsburgh, PA USA

Comments about Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel:

I really like Biofreeze. I was introduced to it by my chiropractor who recommended it and used it on my tight neck and shoulders. It is a great product to use for any type of muscle ache or pain. I often get knots in my right shoulder and pain at the base of my neck because of the way that I sit at work. Since I can only visit the chiropractor every six weeks (and get a massage when I can actually afford it) I need something to help with the tension and pain that I end up with inbetween visits. Biofreeze is a great product for that. I like that you can buy it in a variety of sizes (from small tubes to a giant tub) and it is more affordable than a lot of other "professional" use products. It has a non greasy formula and it is very easy to apply. It works best when you have someone to massage it in for you because it causes greater penetration, but you still get relief if you aplpy it on your own. The non greasy formula makes it safe to apply during the day because it won't stain your clothes. It does have a scent, but it is more pleasant and quicker disappating than most. Overall, this is a great pain relief product and I highly recommend it.

Good but Not Life Changing

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel:

My chiropractor always applied Biofreeze to my back and neck muscles before each adjustment. At first, I did not like the cool feeling, as I don't like to be cold. After a while, I got used to it and actually enjoyed it.
I paid attention to how my muscles reacted to it. They seemed to loosen and release some of the tension when it was applied. I'm not sure how much of that was related to the chiropractic massage and adjustment or to the Biofreeze itself.
So then, I decided to purchase it for myself. I seem to always have lower back pain and wondered if this could help.
It's not a bad product, but I feel that it just provides a very short and temporary relief from the pain by cooling the skin. It's doesn't seem to penetrate into the muscles to actually promote healing. I have since discovered other products that I like better to soothe my aches and pains. I much prefer something a bit more natural.

It's a LifeSaver

from MI

Comments about Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel:

I was first introduced to BioFreeze pain relieving gel back in high school. I endured several major injuries, among other bumps and bruises, of various sorts during sports. Our athletic trainer always used BioFreeze for his pain relieving gel of choice, and ever since then, I have been sold on it.

The athletic trainer would use it usually if we had any type of pulled muscle or injury of that nature.

It is a thin gel substance that goes on pretty sticky and had a decently strong aroma to it. It feels cool to the touch, and feels even cooler after it's applied. It dries sorta sticky, so that may be a minor downside for some people, but I never minded it. As soon as it's on you can feel the cooling and pain relieving effects of this gel - and it's wonderful.

As an adult, I keep this in my medicine cabinets at all times. A few years ago I suffered from a very serious situation with TMJ, in which my jaw was so locked up I could barely open my mouth. During my weekly visits with my dentist, one of the remedies he suggested was BioFreeze, to help ease the pain and tension and help loosen things up.

Never in a million years would I have thought to put this on my face, but it really made it feel a lot better.

I love this product and have been using it for years. I will continue to do so because I trust it and have seen it's effects.

Great for Athletes and Joints!

Comments about Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel:

This Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel is amazing! I recommend it to my friends and family all the time! Unlike a product like Icy Hot, Biofreeze has just the cooling effect. However, this cooling is very effective, especially on inflammation and achy or inflamed joints. The gel is also of a good consistency. It's not sticky, or nasty, or smelly. In fact is rubs in nicely without leaving stickiness or reside. It also has almost no smell, which is preferred by some people, and is a pro that Biofreeze has over other similar products like Icy Hot or Tiger Balm.
The product works really quickly, too. It seems like right after I apply it, it begins to work immediately. It also lasts for a good, long time, too. The cooling sensation lasts and seems to penetrate into my muscles and joints after I apply it. I run a lot, and so when my knee joints get hurting, I always use Biofreeze on them.

It's truly the BEST!

from Tom Bean, Texas

Comments about Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel:

I cannot think of a better product to help reduce pain and aching in joints than BioFreeze. I am an avid cyclist so joint/knee pain is something that comes with the territory so, when I have finished a 250 mile ride, I reach for BioFreeze to stop the pain. I even use it BEFORE I begin if I am sore from training and want to reduce the end of ride pain.

In our riding group, there are no less than 3 tubes of this product as we pass it around as needed. Between sore knees and ankles to sore thighs and calves, this is what we reach for when we stop at a checkpoint. We carry BioFreeze, Motrin and Butt Balm to hit all the high notes of our obsessions' aftermath.

The competitor of BioFreeze, BenGay, is also a great product but we don't care for the smell. BioFreeze has a smell but it's less obnoxious and works just as well without a greasy feeling. It really is the best product for our sport.

Good pain relief

Comments about Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel:

With my job I constantly have back pain from leaning over ( I am a dental hygienist.) I get massages frequently and the massage therapist I go to recommended this product to me. She uses it when she gives me massages, and it works great! That's how I was introduced to Biofreeze, was that she gave me some samples to try out at home because it helps my back so much when I had massages from her. Biofreeze uses menthol so it smells like it quite a bit if that is a problem for someone. For me however, I really do enjoy the smell and don't feel like it lasts forever. It helps so much on my sore muscles and works very quickly! It is very easy to apply, not messy at all. It comes in about a 4 oz container and lasts quite awhile if you are judicious with it. It instantly cools the area I apply it, and helps my back so much. I would definitely recommend using it for those with sore muscles that want relief.

High quality product at a semi-high cost but well worth it!

from Dallastown, PA

Comments about Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel:

Overall I rave about Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel because it is so effective for me and my chronic lower back pain. I first came familiar with the gel when I started going to a chiropractor. My doctor used Biofreeze at almost every one of my visits and I looked forward to smelling the minty refreshing and almost therapeutic aroma of the gel. Then once the cooling effect kicked in from my doctor massaging the gel onto my lower back, I knew I was on my way to feeling so much better by the time our session was over. The packaging is simple but attractive and I like that it comes in different sizes, including little sample packets, which I was so grateful to receive from the chiropractor on a regular basis within my first 10 sessions. I rated this product a 9 only because I found myself having to buy cheaper and less effective versions of Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel (once I depleted my sample stock) due to the high costs that are just not in my budget for how much and how often I use the product.