Other Kids' Electronics:
Electronic Toy, Other Games, Pretend Play
Hasbro
Hasbro Elefun - The Butterfly Catchin' Game

Hasbro Elefun - The Butterfly Catchin' Game

My 2 year old nephew loves it, even when he doesn't catch any!

My nephew got **Elefun** for his birthday this year and we opened it up right away.  Although the game says it's for 3-5 (or was it 4-6?), my 2 year old nephew loved it!  Granted, he was on a sugar high from the cake and ice cream, but even so he had a lot of fun with it.

**Elefun is a Butterfly Catching Game.**  Basically, the elephant sticks his trunk up in the air, and you turn on a little fan that blows the butterflies out the top.  The butterflies are made of little paper/plasticy things that sort of float down.  The goal is for kids to catch as many as they can!  It's meant to be played with others, but my nephew is perfectly fine just playing it himself.

The first few times he played, we had to keep telling him to get closer.  He doesn't really have the hand-eye coordination yet, but why not give him a head start on learning this?  But even when he didn't catch any at all (which was most every time in the beginning) he still wanted to play over and over.  We helped him catch some and the funny thing was, he'd just dump them right out and want to play again.  He didn't even care how many he caught, it was just fun for him to have the butterflies falling around him.

My nephew is a future engineer (both his parents are) and always explores things.  The last time we broke this out, he wasn't even interested in putting the trunk on.  He just enjoyed putting a few butterflies in the elephant, then turning it on so they would blow right out.  The fan is covered very safely so it would be hard for even his little fingers to get to it.  Even so, we still always make sure to be around when he's playing this because it is technically for older children.

**The problems with this game are as follows.**  First, it's like a 10-20 second game.  The butterflies just all come out then it's over.  We did learn that if we pinch the trunk in various places, it slows them down and makes it last longer.  Second, there is cleanup involved, which I'm not too fond of.  Of course we have our nephew help put the butterflies back in, but often he was just ready to go go go and didn't want to wait.  Be prepared to get on the floor every time it's over to put them back in.  Finally, there aren't really a whole lot of butterflies.  The person who gave this to him put pieces of colored tissue paper to make it seem like more came out, but those tissue papers slowly get crumbled overtime.  It's still a good idea though if you want to stretch out the life of the game.

**Overall:** My nephew enjoys the game, so therefore I gotta recommend it.  It just goes to show you that the age range on products isn't always a strict guideline.  He's 2-3 years younger than the recommended age but he still has fun with it.

Elefun: Good Concept, but a Flawed Product

Kids love games of any sort. Mine little girls have several games they count among their favorites and a few others they like, but with slight reservations. One game that fits into the latter category is **Elefun**, a butterfly catching game from Hasbro. **Game Commentary:**Elefun is a motor- operated game that features a plastic base shaped like an elephant. This elephant has a long, four- foot vinyl trunk that contains dozens of small "butterflies". These insects are vinyl in construction and are shaped like a bowtie. They come in several colors like green, yellow, red, and orange. To play Elefun, two to four players are required. Each player takes a small net and stands next to Elefun. The small butterflies are placed in the base, the trunk is attached, and the motor is activated. As the motor runs, air is blown through the trunk, causing it to expand and release the 30 small butterflies. The player who catches the most butterflies with their net is the winner. ** **Elefun is a simple enough game and it is one to which my girls took an immediate liking. The action factor is a large reason why they like this game. Rather than simply move tokens or other objects around a board, Elefun features small butterflies that float through the air and require trapping with a small net. The butterflies start to shoot out of the elephant's trunk and they flutter around until they are caught or settle on the floor. Children will scramble with their nets in hand, trying to catch as many butterflies as possible to win the game. The game isn't necessarily educational, but it does help promote eye- hand coordination and usually keeps children entertained. With an action- oriented game like this, how could you and your children go wrong? Well, Elefun actually has a few flaws that prevent it from being the enjoyable form of entertainment it could be. First, the action factor is actually a little on the slow side. I can agree that it is better to have the butterflies gradually fly out of the trunk rather than explode out, but the problem is the amount of time it takes for the trunk to expand and the slowness of the release of the butterflies. The motor is too weak to get the game going and both parents and children will grow impatient having to wait. Another issue that I have with this game is its tendency to eat up batteries. It takes four batteries to power this device and they die quickly. The game is brief, and that means that most children will want to play it again and again. If this happens, the batteries are not likely to last more than a few days. With four batteries, I would expect a more powerful motor. However, the motor is weak and yet the batteries still do not last very long. Also, since the motor is so weak, fully charged batteries are essential. Weak batteries will slow down the motor to the point where the butterflies may not release at all.  Yet another problem I have with Elefun is the butterflies themselves. No matter how many times my girls have played and no matter how we arrange the butterflies, shake the base, etc., Elefun doesn't release them all. There are always a few butterflies left, stuck in the base. This is due to the weak motor and also to a design flaw in the game. Did no one at Hasbro thoroughly test this product before it was released for sale? And because the butterflies are small, they are very easy to lose.

**Bottom- Line Viewpoint:**

My bottom- line on Elefun is that it isn't as much fun as it should be. My girls still like it for its action qualities, but they get frustrated waiting for the butterflies to come out of the trunk. Hasbro needs to rethink and redesign this game and until they do, I cannot recommend this flawed form of child entertainment.

Fun for younger kids!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about Hasbro Elefun - The Butterfly Catchin' Game:

I got this for my boys when one was around kindergarten age and the other was a toddler. They loved it! It definitely kept them entertained. It's a plastic elephant with a long nose that attaches. The butterflies go in and the fan blows them out. The kids have plastic butterfly nets to catch the little butterflies. It was fun to watch them play it. I can see a couple problems with this game though. One is that the batteries can get used up quickly. The other is that the butterflies come up fast and it's a little tricky to be able to catch a whole bunch of them. I tried it myself. It is a fun and unique game for kids to play. Kids seem to really like this. If you are looking for a good game to give as a gift this one is a good pick. It is pretty inexpensive for what you get. We had this for a few years and it never broke or stopped working. It's different than other games out there. This is a really fun game for young ages. It will bring giggles and smiles into your home.

Slightly disapointed..

from Dover, PA

Comments about Hasbro Elefun - The Butterfly Catchin' Game:

I was so excited for my child to get this for Christmas, considering I had it when I was younger and loved it. Well when we opened it, it's very easy to put together but the game itself is over WAY too quick. It just blows out the butterflies and you're done. Then you have to pick them all up and start over. It has a spot where you can put the butterflies back in their mouth, but it's kind of difficult to do so. I don't think it was worth the money, but I do have to admit, my child loves it, so I guess that's what matters!

Great for kids only.

Comments about Hasbro Elefun - The Butterfly Catchin' Game:

I remember having a Hasbro Elefun when I was younger. I thought it was the coolest thing and I'm happy they still have them around! However, they are not great for being an adult and watching your child play. All it does is blow the butterflies up into the air and the children have to catch them with nets. Kids love this product and will go crazy for it but all adults will hear is a loud noisy machine and see butterflies all over the house. However, it's great watching the kids enjoy it. I recommend it!

fun but lots of work

Comments about Hasbro Elefun - The Butterfly Catchin' Game:

Fun for kids and they usually love it, but the butterflies run out after about 10 seconds and you have to turn off the elephant and refill it. Then twist the trunk back on and straiten it out again so the air can flow and the butterflies can come out again. Repeat 1000 times.

A fun product for all ages

Comments about Hasbro Elefun - The Butterfly Catchin' Game:

I loved this product as a kid and I got this product for my son for Christmas. He loves it and it brings him so much joy and it reminds me of hoe much fun I had as a kid. A very fun product that can last a long time as long as you take care of the pieces. Sometimes it was just fun to turn it on and have the kids play with the air.

Fun doesn't last long with this toy.

Comments about Hasbro Elefun - The Butterfly Catchin' Game:

After seeing a commercial for the Hasbro Elefun butterfly catching game, my kids thought it looked really fun. When I bought it, they were so excited. Sadly, their excitement was very short-lived. The idea of this game was good but the fact that the butterflies all come out at once is where the idea fell short. In less than a minute the game (and fun) is basically over. If there was somehow a way they could have made the butterflies gradually come out instead of all at once, it would have been a much better game. This game is definitely overpriced and my kids didn't even want to play it again after the first time.

Most fun game lots of laughs

from Deltona, FL

Comments about Hasbro Elefun - The Butterfly Catchin' Game:

This has to be the most fun I have had with my daughter inside the house in a long time , I ' heard her laugh for that long in awhile, the fact that it uses butterflies that you have to catch is awesome considering my daughter has tried doing this outside with real ones forever and to no avail.  It also comes with plenty of nets so lots of people can play along together.

Must be an active participant if you purchase this.

from South River, NJ

Comments about Hasbro Elefun - The Butterfly Catchin' Game:

I loved the idea of this game, so I couldn't wait to get it for my toddler.  As much as I love playing games with her, it's nice when she plays with her little cousins and I get a break once in a while.  Well, with this game .... You never get a break!  By the time the kids are able to focus enough on catching *one* butterfly, there isn't anymore flying out of the trunk.  It takes about 10 seconds for all of the butterflies to fly out.  Then, you have to take the trunk off and put the butterflies back in.  The kids *love* this game and can't get enough of it ... Myself, on the other hand, love the idea of it ~ but don't have it in me to keep up with the maintenence.

An Elephants Worth of Fun for All!

from Red Hill, PA

Comments about Hasbro Elefun - The Butterfly Catchin' Game:

My middle son has beed begging for Elefun ever since he could watch commercials. So, when gift giving time rolled around for him it was a no-brainer. When I went shopping I found it hard to find, having to go to three stores before finding the last one on the shelf.Once home, it was simple to assemble and get running. All three of my children had a blast as the butterflies shot out of the happy elephant into the air with plenty of height and hangtime for them to race around and catch them in their nets. They were even happy to pick up the ones that fell to the ground and put them back in the elephant, with a little help. It also includes a nice saftey feature, if the elephant is not square on the ground, the fan shuts off.Overall, this is a great toy that is reasonably priced and has given my little ones hours of fun. The batteries last a good amount of time and it hasn't come close to breaking. We have lost a few of the butterflies but we've made it a game to cut new ones out of light-weight colored paper. The one thing I would have loved to see was about twice as many butterflies included. Start to finish, they included butterflies last about 20 seconds before it's time to turn it off and start over.

Not worth the money spent.

from Brook Park, OH

Comments about Hasbro Elefun - The Butterfly Catchin' Game:

This toy was a complete waste of money. It does not perform as expected. It uses too many batteries and the children got bored in minutes. It might entertain a 2-4 year old but it has small parts that they could choke on. Not a good investment for anyone.