Other Learning Toys:

LeapFrog Leapster Explorer

Pros

Cons

LeapFrog Leapster: Educational entertainment

The Leapster Explorer is another educational electronic toy from LeapFrog.  The Leapster is a "chunky" and durable handheld that's made for little hands with rounded corners and an attached...Read complete review

The Leapster Explorer is another educational electronic toy from LeapFrog.  The Leapster is a "chunky" and durable handheld that's made for little hands with rounded corners and an attached stylus.

The Leapster Explorer, like the DSi, doesn't come with games installed.  Games are sold separately but here's the good news.  The games are super easy to use.  Open the case and get the cartridge.  It's about the size of a matchbook.  Insert it into the Leapster Explorer, follow the prompts and start playing.  The other good news is that there are tons of games available and all of them have an educational component.

**Why I like the Leapster Explorer:**

Before kids can play the games, they have to answer some questions that reinforce spelling or math skills.  For example, in the Wolverine game kids have to choose the right letters to complete a word and in the Up game, kids have to choose which number comes next.

***My Viewpoint: *** The Leapster Explorer is both entertaining and educational.  It's great for playing in the car.

The Leapster Explorer is a favorite toy in our house

My four year old son received the Leapster Explorer game system from us for his birthday a few months ago. It took him a while to get interested in it, but now he really likes it. It is so easy for him to use and the games aren't too hard for a four year old. We have only really been playing with the built in games such as the one where you trace letters and the sugar bugs one. He received the toy story game cartridge as well, but we lost it pretty quickly. I really wish that the cartridges could be locked in somehow. That is my main complaint with this system. Even better, I wish that all games would download to the device. My only other complaint is that the built in games are constantly encouraging my son to go online and purchase more things for the game. The things I like about the game system are that the variety of games seems pretty good, it is generally educational, and it is easy for little hands to use.

Great learning tool

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster Explorer:

Got my son this for Christmas two years ago and he has been in love with since he got it. We have about every game out there for it and it really does help with learning numbers, words, math, science and strategy. My son is pretty intelligent for a year old. Knows how to spell his name and do simple math. Its got every kind of learning game you can think of, its not just learning but has a lot of age appropriate games. I think every kid should have one of these, it seems like its a great learning boost prior to going to school.

Great product to help kids learn and have fun!

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster Explorer:

I have 3 kids ages 4, 7, & 8. All three of them love playing on the leapster and there is enough diversity in the games to keep each of them involved, entertained and learning. About half the time my kids don't even play with the additional games, just the handheld on its own. Their favorite addition to the hand help is the camera. It is great quality for the price. We love Leapfrog products

Leapfrog great teacher

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster Explorer:

Helped my child learn amazing!!! This is really nice, my child learned how to read in less than 1 month. while playing fun games. Not only is he learning he is having fun. I highly recommend this device, more than the other fun ways of learning. my son is 4 and a half years old and he is amazing.

Awesome way for my kids to learn!

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster Explorer:

Using the Leapster Explorer, my kids are learning so mush more from the learning games that we download from the website. My 5-year-old is learning so much faster and remembering more. His alphabet learning more improved as well as his speech and comprehension. This is just a wonderful product all the way around.

Fun Educational Toy

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster Explorer:

Leapster is a great video game player for at home or on the road or from place to place. It has a variety of games for all ages. The games are fun and educational. Kids learn quickly playing the Leapster. You can get games for the leapster from any department store or download them to the leapster online. The leapster is easy to operate. Thevleapster is durable to bear being dropped, slammed, or thrown but not have any damage from the impact. It is compact and portable. The leapster keeps my son entertained for hours.

LeapFrog Leapster Explorer Fun and Educational

from Molalla, OR

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster Explorer:

I got this LeapFrog Leapster Explorer for my 5 year old for Christmas. It was an instant hit! He absolutely loves having his own "computer" and wants to play it all day long (I have to set limits!) There are so many choices of games and we have found some that I feel are pretty educational and he has already learned from. I wasn't thrilled about the battery life so we purchased the rechargeable battery station, and it has been a lifesaver. I would recommend anyone who gets the Explorer to get the rechargeable battery pack. The games are pretty expensive but my son has been happy with just having a few plus the camera attatchment. Overall, this will be something he will use for years and I am happy with our purchase!

Great line of toys! Highly Recommmend!

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster Explorer:

The entire leapfrog lineis a winner in my eyes! Sure kids can learn just as mcuh in other areas of life like interaction and play but this is a nice reward for them. And for the parent too. The kids get to learn while they are being rewarded for good behavior and think they are getting to play just a video game. Lots of games to choose from! Their Explorer line works with all other Explorer products as well so it takes some of the guesswork out of finging the right game for your system! I love these Leapfrog sytems and I currently own 3 for my child! A leappad, a Leapster Explorer GS and a Leapster Explorer! Its nice when you find them on sale and can buy more than just one system so the kids have more of a choice and you can keep one in the car, one at home and one for wherever and not worry about forgetting it! Love this. Great Buy!

The LeapFrog Leapster Explorer is a Great Educational Game

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster Explorer:

My son received one of these for Christmas. He absolutely loves it. There are many different games that he can choose from, and they grow with him as he grows. The system is also very durable. Battery life with this is not the best, but a charger is available, which I highly recommend.

Disappointing_Leapfrog Leapster Explorer

from Portland, OR

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster Explorer:

I got this for my 4 year old for a long flight across the country. I am a huge fan of Leapfrog products but the Leapster Explorer was quite the disappointment. The screen is very small and you have to use the stylus pen which is hard to get in the corners. We had Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Global Adventures games which neither kept my son's attention. The recommended age is 4-9 years for the gaming device and some games are for 3-5 years. My son can use my PC and iPad flawlessly but had a very difficult time with the Leapster Explorer. It's not user friendly. Some of the games require you to read what's on the screen but the writing is so small making it almost impossible to read. My son did not even want to play with it on the ride home and we ended up selling the device when we returned home from the trip. I would not recommend this gaming/learning system.

My toddler loves it!

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster Explorer:

My 3 1/2 year old loves his leapfrog leapster. One toy usually can't hold his attention for long but he can spend a good hour on his leaper, which is great for running errands! It's really easy for him to use and the touch screen is sensitive enough so he doesn't always need to use the pen. It's also nice that you can connect to your computer and download apps, plus some aren't to pricey. The games are great in his age group but are expensive. I do wish the leapster had a built in camera, since my son loves taking pictures but there is an attachment you can buy. Overall, he loves it and we will now be upgrading to the leappad since it's closer to the look and feel of my iphone, which he's obsessed with.