LeapFrog Leapster

LeapFrog Leapster

Educational video gaming for little ones.

Before I had children, I swore I would keep the kids away from video games as long as possible.  My mindset was, whatever happened to the good old days when children did more constructive things, like playing with actual toys and playing outside?  For me, too much TV and too many video games contribute to lazy children.  Aside from the increase in the intake of junk/fast food, it's a wonder the average child is overweight this day and age.Once I had my children, I learned instead to live by the good old-fashioned motto, "everything in moderation".  Too much of anything can be bad for anyone.  My children are ages 3+ years and 19 months at the moment, and yes, they watch TV everyday, for most of the day.  But, they aren't glued to it.  They alternate between watching, playing, snacking, and my oldest even gravitates to the other room to play educational games on my husband's laptop, where she has her own screen name and kid's browser.**A Travel Companion**My husband and I like to travel.  Mainly we like to go for road trips and day trips closer to home.  Sometimes, we will drive a bit further, and if it take us a few hours and it's during the girls' waking hours, we like to have something to entertain them.  We don't have a car with a built-in TV or DVD player.  We also don't yet own a portable DVD player.  Our 19-month-old is more likely to doze off in the car at her age.  But, our nearly 4-year-old is more likely to get bored and impatient.  It was time to think of something that would hold her attention a little longer than a coloring book or toys.My greatest worry, was when we had a 6-hr+ flight to California for our family vacation this past summer.  The last time I had flown with both girls, my youngest was about 2 months old and it was a very short flight.  I only had to pay attention to my eldest while the baby slept.  This time, we were travelling with an antsy toddler and a preschooler, so it was imperitive that my eldest could be kept occupied for as long as possible so that my husband and I could  put more energy into keeping the little one happy while trying not to disturb the other passengers.I did some shopping around and found my answer.  The *LeapFrog Leapster Learning Game System* sounded like a good idea.  This handheld game system is made for children from preschool through 4th grade levels.  It comes with two built-in learning games, but you can also buy age-appropriate game cartridges.  Along with a few other activities, the *Leapster* really helped to keep our daughter busy.  She was so well-behaved on the airplane, we didn't have one meltdown from her, there and back.  We were very proud of her.**What We Like About The *LeapFrog Leapster Learning Game System***Who can argue with the fact that anything that's educational is a plus?  While I still hold to the idea that nothing is better than one-on-one training, if my daughter *is* going to be playing video games either on the computer or on a handheld system, it may as well be educational.  The system has a stylus pen attached to it for use with the games where she can draw and color with it.  It can also be used for practicing her letters, for example, for the game cartridge, *Mr. Pencil's Learn to Draw and Write* my daughter can trace letters and shapes, to help with her writing motor skills.  When she steers the pen too far off the line, "Mr. Pencil" pops up and corrects her and asks her to try again.The buttons are well placed, the system is easy for small hands to hold and it's not difficult for little ones to get used to using the buttons and functions, even if they can't yet read.We appreciate that this is a game system that will "grow" with our child.  As she gets older, we can replace her "younger" game cartridges with new ones that are more fitting for her age group.**Suggestions**The best thing I did when I bought the system, was to purchase the *LeapFrog Leapster and L-Max Recharging System*.  This is a recharging base and battery pack that replaces the use of ordinary batteries.  I learned, through my research, that it is best to buy this in addition to the system, so that you don't find yourself buying tons of batteries.  The recharging system also comes with an AC adapter, which is how it is charged, but you can also use it directly on the *Leapster *and your child can play with it while it is plugged into the wall.  This will not recharge the battery pack, however.  It is just an additional option.You might also want to invest in one or two age-appropriate game cartridges.  The games built into the system may entertain your child for a little while, but they will soon get bored.  I actually purchased 4 games for my daughter.  I, of course, saved a bit by purchasing used ones on an auction website (**wink,wink**).**My Biggest Complaint**I noticed that my daughter's system came with built-in advertisements of the other games we can buy.  Aren't our children inundated with enough ads everywhere we go?  So, of course, she was introduced to some games which included some of her favorite characters and excitedly pointed them out to me.  At first, she thought they were additional built-in games and called me over to "help" her access them.  I was annoyed that she found the ads so easily, and so I had to explain to her that these were games that had to be bought in the stores.  All in all, it wasn't a bad purchase.  Of course, there are additional accessories that you can buy, like a screen protector and a carrying case, but I don't yet see a use for these.  I've taught my daughter not to leave it lying around, to always put it back on the charging base, to keep a cartridge inserted to protect it from dust and to keep her extra cartridges in a safe place (I have her keep them all together in one zip-seal bag and stored in one of the drawers in her jewelry box).**Take It From a 3-Year-Old**My daughter actually doesn't play with it as much as I thought she would.  Every now and then she'll pull it out and play a few games and then she'll put it back.  I've no doubt that she loves it though.  For her age, she has learned to take such good care of it.  Perhaps the problem is that they *do* get bored with the games after a while, and that is the allure in buying them new games every now and then.

Go for computer games instead

Keep your money and buy computer games.  I bought this and the handheld for my daughter age 4 and my son aged 2 at the time.  We got it home and realized it took batteries.  So we went back to the store and saw that the Ac adapter is sold seperately.  That was an extra 20 bucks.  We get it hooked up and start showing the kids how to use it.  The graphics were awful.  They are not really crisp and clear and forget putting it on a larger tv than a 13 because it stretches the graphics and makes them look even worse.  We bought 4 or 5 games for this including dora, spongebob, scooby doo, etc.  The games do not have a lot to them.  It  really just reinforces what you child aready knows not teach them.  The kids were tired of it within the first week.  My son who is 4 now still occasionally plays with the handheld but would rather play his older sisters ds.  I don't blame him the graphics are a lot better and more intersting.

I wouldn't reccomend this product because for the money you could buy some great education computer software that actually teaches your child something.

Great learning toy!

from West Bloomfield, MI

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster:

My two oldest each have one of these!  They love to play games.  and I love this because it teaches them at the same time!  It is great for on the go.  for in waiting rooms or on the way to grandmas! I really recomend this toy!  But I recommend getting the charge for it (we havent yet) but how much my kids play it. they go through a lot of batteries.  They have their favorite characters too. dora, spongebob,cars and more

Excellent for kids

from Davenport, IA

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster:

The leapster is great for all kids. I bought this for my son when he was 5yrs old and he loves the thing. Before we had the leapster he had trouble learning his letters and sounds so I bought the game called Letter Factory and within a month he new all his letters and the sounds they make. You can get all kinds of different games for it for different age levels. And even though it is pretty much a video game its educational at the same time. I would recommend this product to anybody with kids. It does use a good amount of batteries if they play it a lot and if your kid is like mine he will leave it on even when he's not playing with it :) but they do make a charging station you can buy so you don't have to keep replacing the batteries. And since its a hand-held game you can take it anywhere....trips in the car, doctors office and so on.

Good for a childs imagination and growth

from South Boston, VA

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster:

This product adds fun with learning and my kids think it's great that they can take it in the car, to the store and grandma's house. It was a little pricey but thats the way it goes nothing is cheap. I also like that the games where creative and my children recognized most of the characters along with the sounds. The additional games could be a lot better priced but they also can be caught on sale.

Leapster is a great learning toy

from Chicago, IL

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster:

Great versatility - goes anywhere!  Brings learning and fun together in one item. The durability is solid and not easily damaged.  My son loves the games and the extra make it easy for moms and dads to always keep it charged and ready to go.  The prices of the items can run a bit high depending on where you shop.  We have also fun into a lack of stock in most stores.  Shop early for best items.  It would be better is there were games that older 'tween' type kids could play - there are none that can we can find and they don't like to play the younger kids games.  Overall, this is agreat product and promots learning without the kids knowing they are learning - they think they are just having fun.

Shocked at how bad it was.

from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster:

I bought this product for my 3-year-old daughter so she could play video games with her 8-year-old sister. The description given by the manufacturer says that it's for ages 36 months - 10 years so I figured this would be perfect. I couldn't have been more wrong. Once we set it up, we realized that the quality of the graphics were absolutely horrible. I got a headache just from looking at it. Nevertheless, we tried to give it a chance. I showed the 3-year-old what to do, but because the graphics were so bad. She was so frustrated! The 8-year-old was completely disgusted as well. I am a big believer in the Leapfrog products, so this was such a surprise to me. A huge disappointment.

Wow, even older kids love it!

from Corsicana, TX

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster:

My two of my older kids (8 and 10) have handheld games and my 3 year old would cry to play them but wasn't really old enough to understand how to play them. I bought her a leapster so she would have a game to play too and I catch my 8 and 10 year old playing it too! I recently bought a math game and all three play it. It was a pleasant suprise that all of the kids enjoy it and are playing educational games.

My daughter doesn't need any other toys!

from Mount Royal, NJ

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster:

This is definitely the best toy my daughter has ever had.  She can play with it for hours.  She has learned so much from the games that she plays and also teaches herself new things with games for her age group and older age groups.  This is the greatest gift.  You will NOT be disappointed!

The best toy you can buy.

from Brandon, MS

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster:

We bought this game for our son on his 4th birthday.  He is now almost 8 and still loves to play with it.  We are on our second one .  We left the first one in a hotel while on vacation and it was stolen.  We replaced it immediately.  I do not think I can say enough about this great product.

A toys that lasts many years and keep my grandchildrens interest

from Pelican Rapids, MN

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster:

I have 7 grandchildren age 8 and below.  The oldest 3 kids have had leapsters for at least 3 years and still enjoy playing it.  It is nice to have new games for them to grow into.  It is always nice to have a toy or learning item that keeps their interest and can take it with them no matter where they go.  Every year for either Christmas or their birthday or sometimes both, they receive a new game.  Until they master that game they do not get another game. I believe the oldest have 9 games and still play them all.  Of course they have their favorites but they are always up for a new challenge.  They have chargers for their leapsters that plug in to an electical outlet.  The charger is small enough that if they go someplace for a weekend fits into their suitcase and we plug it in ever night so they can use it the next day when we travel or go on vacation or go visiting out of town.  But is also nice that it can be used with batteries if necessary.  The new leapsters come in different colors which is nice also so the kids can easily tell which is theirs.  I like the fact it has a volume control so grandma doesn't have to listen to the game noise.

Excellent product for education and fun!!

from Jupiter, FL

Comments about LeapFrog Leapster:

The Leapfrog(c) Leapster L-Max is a great toy that includes education and fun in one bundle.  The toy is exciting due to it being a video game yet educational due to the games that are used.  I personally tried the video game(s) and had fun and learned that my child was truely learning as he played.  The game is portable and has the option of being plugged into the television for the "True" video game feeling that kids love.