Other All-In-One Printers:
HP 8500A Plus All-In-One InkJet Printer

HP 8500A Plus All-In-One InkJet Printer

Easy!! Great set up.

Comments about HP 8500A Plus All-In-One InkJet Printer:

For a construction company owner i needed something easy to install, ready to use and abuse. This was it. It connects directly to my system flawless. I love mine. I have owned the past 2 models and this is my favorite!

Ink/Paper Use
I wish they would stop switching the ink type. I have two of the older models that use different ink.

• Copy Quality:
  • Ink/Paper Use:

A solid multi-function color printer

Comments about HP 8500A Plus All-In-One InkJet Printer:

If there's one thing that HP does well, it is make good multi-function color printers. What they don't do well, however, is write good software.

I've owned four HP printers and my latest, the Officejet Pro 8500A is one I "bought" when my old Photosmart 7200 bit the dust.

While the 8500 is fast, produces great docs, its software leaves a lot to be desired. When Apple released Lion (10.7.X) last summer, HP was late to the party in releasing its drivers. The generic Apple driver worked fine, but why couldn't HP have had its native driver ready out-of-the-box?

Software is the Achilles heel of this printer. When you want to scan a document it invariably requires a restart of the printer, my Mac or both. It's a bug that HP is aware of but their response is to make sure you have the latest driver installed (I DO!).

So what good is a multi-function printer if the other functions don't work when they're supposed to?

The fax function works just fine. As does the copying. And the wireless connection is fast and reliably remains connected. So why can't HP fix this bug? My guess is that they have such a large product line that they're overwhelmed by bug fixes and they probably focus on Windows fixes first.

As far as consumables, the 8500 doesn't burn ink half as fast as the 7200. The cartridges themselves have more capacity (because it's not a photo-centric printer) and there's an option for a BIG black ink cartridge.

So all-in-all the 8500 is a good printer. It would be great printer if their software worked as well as the other functions.