Other Arts & Crafts Supplies:
Gingher 8 inch Knife Edge Dressmaker's Shears

Gingher 8 inch Knife Edge Dressmaker's Shears

Wonderful sewing scissors for frequent casual use

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about Gingher 8 inch Knife Edge Dressmaker's Shears:

I’m not a professional seamstress. I don’t use these shears to make my living, but I do quite a lot of fabric related hobbies. I cut a lot of fabric. I most often use a rotary cutter for straight lines (I do a lot of quilting), but when I need to cut curves I like my Gingher 8 inch knife edge dressmakers shears. They have a nice weight and balance. The blades are sharp and cut anything from fine silky fabrics to denim. They wiz through fleece and layers of cotton gingham. I like that I can use the same pair of shears whether I am cutting one layer or several, silky or rough, tick or thin.

I use my Ginghers regularly and have for several years. They are still sharp and cut well. I only use them for fabric, but I haven’t had them sharpened in that time. I doubt they are the best shears on the market (ask a professional for that type of advice), but for someone looking for a reasonably priced, easily found pair of shears for hobby use… look no further than Ginghers 8” Knife Edge Dressmakers Shears.

Gingher Sewing Shears are

from Marietta, GA

Comments about Gingher 8 inch Knife Edge Dressmaker's Shears:

I have had these Gingher Dressmaker's Shears for about 15 years. "Knife Edge" is a good name for them, because they are extremely sharp, durable, and cut fabric very well. They can cut through multiple layers of fabric just as easily as they can cut a single layer of fabric. I did have an incident where I knocked them off of the ironing board, while open, and one of the blades got a nick in the middle of the cutting edge. That made it tricky to cut, but I still used it that way for months until I found a reputable scissor sharpener who made them good as new. That is one of the best things about these scissors - they can be sharpened. As a result, I will probably have these scissors for the rest of my life. They are solidly made, since each blade and handle piece is one unit and made entirely of metal, so they will not fall apart.

They are expensive, but if you want to invest in a good quality pair of fabric shears that should last forever, you can't go wrong with these. P.S. Don't ever cut paper with them!

A fine tradition handed down

from Marietta, GA

Comments about Gingher 8 inch Knife Edge Dressmaker's Shears:

I tend to think of most of the other scissors I own as somewhat disposable because the blades can't be sharpened. They work well, but I don't take any special care to see that the last. I will use them on paper and if I loose them it's no big deal. I don't use the Ginghers on paper because it would dull the blade, and while the blade can be sharpened, it can also be ruined by someone who does the job poorly.  The fine edge makes a sharp clean cut.

My mother had Ginghers (and they aren't scissors or shears, they're Ginghers). One of my personal rites of passage was when I bought my own pair for my own sewing supplies. They cut very well. They feel good in the hand. Whether you are working with fine Swiss Batiste for French Handsewing, dressmaking or even cutting heavy fabrics for upholstery, the cut will be clean and easy. This is a quality product that is a pleasure to use.

There are versions for those who want a little extra something. While shopping at Joann recently I noticed that they have some with decorated handles. The ones in the store had a psychedelic dripped paint pattern. I've also seen others with a more traditional pattern of flowers.